Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,930 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:54 AM

The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. (24471 Views)

Obasanjo & Founder Of Celestial Church Oshoffa Sharing A Meal (Throwback) / Omoyele Sowore,The Founder Of Sahara Reporters(photos) / Tribute To Officers And Soldiers That Fought Against Bokoharam But Died In The P (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Becomrich0: 6:57pm On Jul 18, 2010
the man that started Nollywood in  Nigeria.

Hubert Ogunde
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please improve this article if you can. (March 2007)
Hubert Ogunde
Born May 31, 1916(1916-05-31)
Ososa, Ogun state, Nigeria
Died April 4, 1990 (aged 73)
Cromwell Hospital, London, England
Occupation Investor
Playwright
Actor
Theatre director
Musician
Hubert Adedeji Ogunde (May 31, 1916 in Ososa, near Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, Nigeria – April 4, 1990 in London, England) was a Nigerian actor, playwright, theatre manager, and musician who founded the Ogunde Concert Party in (1945), the first professional theatrical company in Nigeria.

Ogunde starred in Mister Johnson, the 1990 motion picture which also featured Pierce Brosnan. The movie was shot on location in Jos.

Contents [hide]
1 Background
1.1 Professional theatre work
1.2 Personal life and legacy
2 External links

[edit] Background
He worked first as a teacher before joining the Nigerian Police Force. Like many of his theatre contemporaries, such as A. B. David, P. A. Dawodu, Layeni and G.T. Onimole, his theatre career began under the patronage of the Church. In 1944, he produced his first opera, The Garden of Eden and The Throne of God, by commission of the Lagos-based Church of the Lord, a sect of the Cherubim and Seraphim Society. The performance was in aid of the Church building fund. The huge success of the production spurred Ogunde on to writing more operas until he decided to leave his amateur status as an artist and turn professional. He founded Ogunde Theatre — the first contemporary professional company in Nigeria. By this act Ogunde began the rise of modern professional theatre in Nigeria, a movement in which he remains the supreme artist and father figure.

He is regarded as the first Doyen in Traditional Nigerian Drama.

[edit] Professional theatre work
This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (March 2007)

The first play featured at Ogunde Theatre was entitled Tiger’s Empire. Premiered on March 4, 1946, Tiger's Empire was produced by The African Music Research Party and featured Ogunde, Beatrice Oyede and Abike Taiwo. The advertisement for the play was the result of Ogunde’s call for ‘paid actresses’. It marked the first time in Yoruba theatre that women were billed to appear in a play as professional artists in Light in their own right. Tiger’s Empire was an attack on colonial rule. It was followed by Darkness and Light, although Ogunde does not remember writing it. This is the only play that has escaped his memory.[citation needed] A public outcry had been going on for a year over the growth of a ‘social evil’ which was entering into Lagos society and corroding it. This evil was popularly known as the ‘Aso Ebi Craze’, a craze which required both men and women to buy the most expensive materials for social gatherings.

The rule was that: “When someone wants to celebrate a marriage or a funeral obsequies (sic) she chooses a piece of cloth to wear on the occasion and approaches relatives and friends to buy the same stuff to wear with her as uniform on the day. The number of people to wear the uniform with her will depend on her popularity and social connections.

“The custom has lent itself to much abuse in that the occasions for celebrating marriages of funerals occur so often that one may be asked by friends to buy ‘Aso Ebi’ more than ten times a year”. This craze of course bred intense competition with celebrants trying to outshine one another. It was a competition that delighted textile traders but which often ruined marriages, as women were known to leave husbands who could not afford to robe them, for lovers who could. Ogunde decided to make his first social satirical comment by writing a play designed to expose the vulgarity and ostentatiousness of the craze. He called the play Human parasites. A tragedy in two acts commenting that ‘Aso Ebi is a Social evil…

Aduke who kissed and keyed a thousand lovers for the sake of Aso Ebi… what happened when boys refused to be keyed is better seen than described”

He also produced two important plays: Yoruba Ronu and Otitokoro which refer to the political events in the western Nigeria and which led to the declaration of the state of emergency in 1963. He was the most prominent of the dramatist of the folk opera. He composed over 40 operas in Yoruba. His play Yoruba Ronu(Yoruba Think) was a satirical account of the strife that plagued Yorubas in the 1960s. It was banned in western Nigerian for sometime but was produced with great success in other parts of the country.

His other plays include; Darkness and Light, Mr. Devil's Money. e.t.c. He utilized the commercial repertoire of Yoruba theatre, frequently using both European instrument and drums in his plays and he married ALL the actresses in other to keep the group together. And his theatre also because of his various tours, became Alarinjo, a traveling theatre

[edit] Personal life and legacy
Clementina Oguntimirin later married Ogunde and became Adesewa Ogunde or Mama Eko (Lagos Mama) as she was popularly known by her fans in the 60’s, after taking the leading part in the popular play of that name. She had five children for Ogunde. The two senior girls Tokunbo and Tope are now leading members of the company.

Oguntimirin died in a road accident on September 1970 en-route to a scheduled performance in Ilesha. The following year, Ogunde wrote a play in her memory called Ayanmo. Her death was mourned throughout the country and press and mass media coverage of her death and funeral was extensive.[citation needed]

Ogunde died on April 4, 1990 at London's Cromwell Hospital following a brief illness.

Ogunde became the leading producer of Yoruba celluloid movies with "J'ayesinmi" (Let the world rest)and "Aiye" (Life!)blazing the trail.

3 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by ElRazur: 7:38pm On Jul 18, 2010
He is one of the best during his time. Respect to him.

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by ElRazur: 7:44pm On Jul 18, 2010
By the way, I wouldn't say he was the founder of nollywood. He was amongst the fore-fathers, but not exactly the founder.

I mean there have been actors and movies around the same time as his two most popular movies. Don't forget that these folks started on stage and doing "Theatre" as it is called back home, before shooting movies.

I think it is fair to credit others too - Oga Bello, Baba Sala, Aluwe, Ray Eyiwunmi and his group, Isho Pepper (Ishola Ogunshola) etc. Those are the people who in my opinion cleared the path to what is now nollywood.

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Becomrich0: 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2010
He was the one , who founder Nollywood. He even went ahead to build a film studio in ogun state. every other person you name came after him or only did television. He was the film industry in Nigeria at the time. The other type of films nigerian had option to were india or china film. Can you imagine black man going to cinema to watch india film. He had film like aiye.

The others did television.
is Jab abu still alive.?

2 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by ElRazur: 8:07pm On Jul 18, 2010
You have a point. But remember, the whole "theatre and drama" thing started on stage, and if memory serve me right, there are people doing the same things. BabaSala is a name we cannot ignore, heck I have a few of his play (trip to london, baba gateman) on mp3. Also, don't forget he made the movie "mosebolatan" which was badly pirated. Oh and before that, he had another popular movie, but can't remember the name.

My point is that he's been around possibly since the time of Ogunde too. Ishola Ogunshola was doing stage drama from way back too. He even made it into a family business by employing his numerous wives to play various parts.

I think the Nigerian public was crying out for entertainment then, and given the fact that Bollywood was cheaper to get on VHS back then, it was what everybody watched. Chinese movies started getting popular in the 80s after "Kung Fu fighting" was adopted as one of the most popular sports lol I think.

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by AloyEmeka8: 8:10pm On Jul 18, 2010
Do you have his satellite image position in heaven?
Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Becomrich0: 9:09pm On Jul 18, 2010
Most of them were not doing film. Nollywood is about nigeria film industry, not about television. or stage production. It is film we are talking about. Ogunde is the one responsible for it. Film in nigeria those days had only one name ogunde. Even in the North where they did not speak or understand yoruba. His film was there, because it was the only nigeria film out there. They had no choice , it was either they watch hidu film or Ogunde film.

Baba sale later came to film. He did mostly television.  Ishola ogunsola came after him. I show pepper. Ade love  The other option those was bruce lee.

3 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Becomrich0: 9:17pm On Jul 18, 2010
My cousin made me meet him once . He use to work there, he took me back stage, where I saw the man. He had gap in his teeth , that was all I remember of him.

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by ElRazur: 9:35pm On Jul 18, 2010
Becomerich, I get your point. I am just saying you cannot dismiss those who are doing stage play and production as it is from there that film making evolved.

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by phuckNL: 10:17pm On Jul 18, 2010
Becomrich0:

My cousin made me meet him once at the national theater in Lagos. He use to work there, he took me back stage, where I saw the man. [size=24pt]He had gap in his teeth[/size] , that was all I remember of him.

Shhhhhhh. please don't let anyone hear. Na wa for u oo guy. I don't know the guy, but from the picture you posted i believe everyone can clearly see that he had gaps between his teeth, lol

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Becomrich0: 11:33pm On Jul 18, 2010
No did meet him, when I went to watch aiye . my old cousin worked there. At that time\, it was like meeting the president. There were not so many stars in nigeria. He was wearing white buba.

Another film I watch there was "Bisi the daughter of the river". It was directed by jab adu. It was the first film, where someone was going to be floating on water. So at that time. No film had been made where someone floated. So it was a big hit.

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by topsyking: 12:05am On Dec 02, 2012
We will always remember you the pioneer of nollywood hubert ogunde..the man of the people..baaaba
Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Yeske2(m): 12:09am On Dec 02, 2012
Nollywood is ours,
nke ndi Igbo. Haters can plunge into the Lagos lagoon or River Niger.

9 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by topsyking: 12:38am On Dec 02, 2012
Yeske!:
Nollywood is ours,
I can see how dulll u aree.u must be talkin out ignorance even ur so called pple nos the truth,who told u nollywood is urs..for ur info nollywood started in 92 with living in bondage film..yoruba started what we now called nollywood .respect to our fathers. Ogunde.Ola balogun, ade love, etc
U and d guy dat like ur comment r just ignorant of d truth

3 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Ikengawo: 1:53am On Dec 02, 2012
tribalistic lie.
Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Nobody: 2:08am On Dec 02, 2012
Oh so Yoruba people are now claiming to be founders of Nollywood industry that began in Onitsha with a trader that spent his money to dub the movie living in bondage into VHS tapes that later blossomed into Nollywood.
Na wa for people o

Did Yoruba movies venture anywhere beyond Yorubaland till Igbos came on the scene and made it an international movie industry to be reckoned with in Africa and beyond hence the name Nollywood
I say na wa o
What won't they claim

Hubert Ogunde founded Yoruwood not nollywood

Nollywood’s bawdy humor — or fright or fantasy — appeals to a public seeking escape from depressing living conditions. The industry itself was born out of economic desperation during the early 1990s, a period of military dictatorship, low prices for Nigeria’s oil and Western-mandated “structural adjustment” of its economy. Actors and cameramen were out of work because of budget cuts at the national television station. Movie theaters were closed because no one wanted to venture into the dangerous streets at night. According to legend, the first Nollywood movie was made by a small-time electronics trader named Kenneth Nnebue, who, stuck with a large shipment of blank videotapes, decided to unload them by making a movie about a man who sells his soul for wealth. That movie, “Living in Bondage,” sold hundreds of thousands of copies and established Nollywood’s archetypal plot elements: martial discord, greed, a conflict between Christianity and juju, as the occult is called in West Africa. From these accidental origins, a cultural phenomenon emerged.

Other merchants, overwhelmingly members of Nnebue’s ethnic group, the Igbo, followed him into business
. They literally made things up as they went, shooting movies in just a few days, based on vague scenarios instead of scripts. Directors approximated tracking shots by pushing their cameramen around in wheelchairs. Quality was shaky, but the buying public didn’t care. Between 1994 and 2005, production in Nigeria went from a handful of feature movies a year to more than 2,500.

“We watch these Africa films like ‘Blood Diamond’ and ‘The Last King of Scotland’ — they’re always from the perspective of the Europeans,” says Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen, who has directed more than 160 features. He was the subject of a documentary called “Nollywood Babylon,” which was shown at the Sundance Film Festival, and he told me that when he went to the festival, he was shocked to discover that some American directors had been working for years to make just one movie.

Kenneth Nnebue quit Nollywood a few years ago, retiring to his village to devote his life to preaching the Bible. But the industry he established remains tightly controlled by the same group of Igbo businessmen, an insular guild sometimes called the Alaba cartel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/magazine/nollywood-movies.html?pagewanted=all

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by WarriPikin1: 2:12am On Dec 02, 2012
Baby mama: Oh so Yoruba people are now claiming to be founders of Nollywood industry that began in Onitsha with a trader that spent his money to dub the movie living in bondage into VHS tapes that later blossomed into Nollywood.
Na wa for people o

Did Yoruba movies venture anywhere beyond Yorubaland till Igbos came on the scene and made it an international movie industry to be reckoned with in Africa and beyond hence the name Nollywood
I say na wa o
What won't they claim

Hubert Ogunde founded Yoruwood not nollywood

Na real wa o, broda !

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Nobody: 2:20am On Dec 02, 2012
Warri _Pikin:

Na real wa o, broda !

They will soon tell us how Yorubas invented atilogwu dance and isiewu

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Ikengawo: 3:26am On Dec 02, 2012
lol this thread is pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by omobadan(m): 4:11am On Dec 02, 2012
First things 1st, Hubert Ogunde can't be called d founder of Nollywood. But he's one of d pioneers of Nigerian films. Now, calling Nigerian films done before 1992 Nollywood is disrespectful to true filmmakers like Ola Balogun, Ogunde, Eddie Ugbona, Ade Love, Baba Sala etc. The name Nollywood has now been use to mean all Nigerian films. I believe that's wrong. Nollywood use to be cheap, fast made, terribly scripted, no direction filmmaking! For those that are saying Nollywood started with a marketer at Onitsha in 1992, you're correct. That's when d period of crappy filmmaking began. Nigeria film & Nollywood are two different things. One is quality the other is quantity!

8 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by WarriPikin1: 5:06am On Dec 02, 2012
omobadan: First things 1st, Hubert Ogunde can't be called d founder of Nollywood. But he's one of d pioneers of Nigerian films. Now, calling Nigerian films done before 1992 Nollywood is disrespectful to true filmmakers like Ola Balogun, Ogunde, Eddie Ugbona, Ade Love, Baba Sala etc. The name Nollywood has now been use to mean all Nigerian films. I believe that's wrong. Nollywood use to be cheap, fast made, terribly scripted, no direction filmmaking! For those that are saying Nollywood started with a marketer at Onitsha in 1992, you're correct. That's when d period of crappy filmmaking began. Nigeria film & Nollywood are two different things. One is quality the other is quantity!

hmmmm, so Nigeria had quality films done in the 1950s that nobody knew about and the world definitely did not want to watch our "quality films" nor give any awards at all. But now the "crappy" film industry we call nollywood from 1991, is a global award wining African film industry which is much sort after. To the extent that our "crappy Nollywood film industry" have inspired other African countries to try and develop their own film industry.
Somebody is telling a big lie here. Some Naija people sabi lie well well o! grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Nobody: 5:34am On Dec 02, 2012
Warri _Pikin:

hmmmm, so Nigeria had quality films done in the 1950s that nobody knew about and the world definitely did not want to watch our "quality films" nor give any awards at all. But now the "crappy" film industry we call nollywood from 1991, is a global award wining African film industry which is much sort after. To the extent that our "crappy Nollywood film industry" have inspired other African countries to try and develop their own film industry.
Somebody is telling a big lie here. Some Naija people sabi lie well well o! grin grin grin

My friend comot that Warri pikin user name! You no be Wafi boy, you dey fall hand. Just let the hatorade sipping people be and you don't have to be involved.

What's wrong in calling Ogunde the father of Nollywood? Because he is Yoruba?

Nollywood is just a name there was nothing like Nollywood before 2000 was there? People were just making movies and nobody cared to give Nigerian movie industry any name same way our music industry has no name.

Ogunde was the first to make a movie not some dude in Onitcha. The dude in Onitcha made a movie quite alright but it wasn't made under "Nollywood" either.

Appreciate the pioneer and kill your tribal hatred. Nothing dey warri you so o na only worry you dey worry lol...

Where for warri you stay? no google! Wafi boiz wey i sabi no dey dabble into them vs us crap wey you show here. You just dey kata yan so!

4 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Lasinoh: 5:48am On Dec 02, 2012
The good old days!
HIS MOVIES WERE SUPER INTERESTING. . . VERY CULTURAL. kiss
I remember going with my dad to see 'Bisi, The Daughter Of The River'! kiss
I think we watched Aiye too. kiss
Nigeria sabi kill talent sha!

Honor to you sir! kiss
Compared to the 'crap' we have now aka Nollywood. . . YOU REMAIN PRICELESS! kiss

7 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Gbawe: 5:52am On Dec 02, 2012
0lumide:

My friend comot that Warri pikin user name! You no be Wafi boy, you dey fall hand. Just let the hatorade sipping people be and you don't have to be involved.

What's wrong in calling Ogunde the father of Nollywood? Because he is Yoruba?

Nollywood is just a name there was nothing like Nollywood before 2000 was there? People were just making movies and nobody cared to give Nigerian movie industry any name same way our music industry has no name.

Ogunde was the first to make a movie not some dude in Onitcha. The dude in Onitcha made a movie quite alright but it wasn't made under "Nollywood" either.

Appreciate the pioneer and kill your tribal hatred. Nothing dey warri you so o na only worry you dey worry lol...

Where for warri you stay? no google! Wafi boiz wey i sabi no dey dabble into them vs us crap wey you show here. You just dey kata yan so!

Look, it is even insulting for Ogunde to be associated with Nollywood. The OP does the great man a disservice.

Nollywood that is all about terrible and over-dramatic acting, shrieking men and women , predictable and childish plots, abject picture quality and piss-poor noise control that can damage the eardrum? What was OP thinking?

It is a disgrace to Nigeria, and an indicator of the corner-cutting purveyors of inferior products we have become, that Ogunde was making quality films back then only for the Nigerian movie industry of today to be a poor throwback in comparison when it should be much more if we are a people dedicated to consolidating on what we have and moving on to do things to the highest standards. I personally don't watch Nollywood movies because they are total rubbish and an embarrassment to Nigeria in my opinion.

Certainly some posters will not appreciate my frankness but I believe that if you cannot do something well don't do it at all. Abeg, OP stop exposing a great man and a pioneer like Ogunde to ridicule by associating him with Nollywood. Find other things to talk about and spare those who are a great part of our heritage, with their exemplary actions, the insults traded on NL by those who are into unthinking tribalism, over every issue, more than they are into knowledge and the quest to conquer ignorance.

6 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by kunlekunle: 5:56am On Dec 02, 2012
Yeske!:
Nollywood is ours,

Alade Aromire started nolly wood . then igbos hijacked it.

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Lasinoh: 5:58am On Dec 02, 2012
Look, it is even insulting for Ogunde to be associated with Nollywood. The OP does the great man a disservice.

I could not have put it better.
NOLLYWOOD. . .ARISTO "RUNS" THEATER!
Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

Who wanno compare Herbert Ogunde to the likes of "Tchidi Tchikere"?

Highly laughable. . . .

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Sibrah: 6:34am On Dec 02, 2012
What about the Duro Ladipo of this world?
Like Gbawe rightly pointed out, it is more of a disservice to associate Ogunde with the current crop of film makers we have today, but at the same time i think he deserves the tag of "father of Nollywood" as Nollywood describes the Nigerian film industry at large. I remember very well when the Igbos started making films, we called them Igbo-films at first because the the Igbos were never known to most Nigerians for making movies.

3 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by geez1: 7:45am On Dec 02, 2012
How can you put the name Ogunde in the same sentence with Nollywood? Thank God Yoruba movies came much later to show those Nollywood bigots what a movie should look like

2 Likes

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Afam4eva(m): 8:14am On Dec 02, 2012
Herbert Ogunde was a great film maker but is not the founder of Nollywood. Infact, he won't be happy if anyone associated him with commercial Nollywood.

1 Like

Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 02, 2012
Gbawe:

Nollywood that is all about terrible and over-dramatic acting, shrieking men and women , predictable and childish plots, abject picture quality and piss-poor noise control that can damage the eardrum? What was OP thinking?

It is a disgrace to Nigeria, and an indicator of the corner-cutting purveyors of inferior products we have become, that Ogunde was making quality films back then only for the Nigerian movie industry of today to be a poor throwback in comparison when it should be much more if we are a people dedicated to consolidating on what we have and moving on to do things to the highest standards. I personally don't watch Nollywood movies because they are total rubbish and an embarrassment to Nigeria in my opinion.

Certainly some posters will not appreciate my frankness but I believe that if you cannot do something well don't do it at all. Abeg, OP stop exposing a great man and a pioneer like Ogunde to ridicule by associating him with Nollywood. Find other things to talk about and spare those who are a great part of our heritage, with their exemplary actions, the insults traded on NL by those who are into unthinking tribalism, over every issue, more than they are into knowledge and the quest to conquer ignorance.

Agreed! It's just the intention of those thinking he's not that baffles me. Nollywood movies are crap and seriously just a display of shame these days. Movies are suppose to upkeep our culture, values, philosophies and also send a new form of awareness to our society in an entertaining way. Nollywood movies are just so vague, lack creativity and is just a haven for lazy mediocre acting!
Re: The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. by Sibrah: 10:21am On Dec 02, 2012
^^^The fact that Ogunde and co made better movies in their time isn't really an issue here. The big question should be, where does Nollywood start and end? From my own little knowledge i think it was suppose to refer to the Nigerian Film making industry at large.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emmanuel Uduaghan Visits Buhari, Plans For APC To Wrestle Power From PDP (Photos / British Firm To Fix Ajaokuta Steel For Free — FG / Rivers Federal Lawmakers-elect Will Support APC Consensus Candidate For Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.