Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? (47246 Views)

What Exchange Is Used In A Naira Mastercard Dollar Transaction? / Quick Guide To Terms Commonly Used In Blogging / Can Nigerian Verve Card (First Bank) be used in the U.A.E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Alagbaye(m): 11:45am On Jun 05, 2008
We no fit afford am now
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by kelloggs: 12:37pm On Jul 09, 2008
Hello All,

Just going through all your posts and I must say I am overly impressed.
For your inverter, solar or wind power backup systems, please forward queries to info@phleminglobal.com
Its a Nigerian company into renewable forms of energy. I'm sure they will be able to provide the services most of us require @ affordable prices.

cheers
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by albertini: 5:33pm On Jul 11, 2008
hello, in relation to your questionthe cost of installing a solar panel,in Nigeria is very expensive,but there is this inverter i use and install,which gives me electricity without the solar panel,it charges and stores light when there is power supply and then suplies power,when NEPA/PHCN strikes,if you are interested in this product mail marketconnect@yahoo.com
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Mustay(m): 11:06am On Jul 16, 2008
you advertisers like to dey hoard info.

Why not post a summary and then we can contact you huh?
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by kokorunna(m): 2:17pm On Sep 23, 2008
Solar power, a very interesting topic. I did alot of research on it a few months ago and spoken to alot of suppliers.

If you afford it then its good but very expensive.

On a small scale you will be looking around $15k - $30 and on a bigger scale, the cost can vary. You will have to include the installation and materials fee to it.

Nigeria is a crazy country, if Nepa decides that no one will have light at least the government should implement solar street lights instead. If you travel to countries like UK, US and some European countries majority of their street lights are solar powered.

So why can't we have that in all our streets in Nigeria, at least it will brighten up some areas.

www.moneysaversforum.com
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by ade101(m): 6:23pm On Sep 24, 2008
nice topic going on,
i read through all the post in this thread and was begining to realise that its only the rich that can get much benefit from this solar power,conclusively due to the kind of estimated costs i have read so far,
no one has ever mention or give account of different advert about solar power which we normally saw on tv,news papers and heard on radio.the most part of it comes from our darling success digest extra where you will always read****come to my seminar and i will teach you how to make money by generating electricity from sun****
another will come***come to my seminar and learn how to make solar poower generator within hours***
most of this people makes me beleive building solar power generator is easy and kind of cheap until i read all the post in this thread.again,this thread is really informative and my 1$ thanks to everybody that has contributed immensely to the bit info.
the question i just want to relay is,what do this so called seminar host normally teaches people while i learnt from this thread that solar power generator is imported??
i have also been thinking that there are hundreds of seminars,people claim that they will teach other people about generating electricity through sun,and we havent seen any impact of this seminars on our power and energy sector.maybe the seminar audience are not good enough,what about the host??thanks
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by kokorunna(m): 2:27pm On Oct 01, 2008
Its a load of rubbish, those seminars are a get rich scheme. Solar power is commonly used in the Asia, Europe and in some states in the USA.

Most governments have found it cost efficient to use, in the UK alone majority of the street lights on the motorways are solar powered but nobody will mention it. They are investing alot of millions in Solar Power and in the coming years most households will use it.

One thing our Government can rollout having all our street lights solar powered, we have the sun in Nigeria and the payments are a one off which will last a maximum of 25 years.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by brill: 9:18pm On Oct 01, 2008
solar light post
whilst i am unable to power houses with solar, i do have a thousand solar light post for use outside/garden/driveway, available now in nigeria for 1.5k each , at least where there is no nepa your driveway will be lit continuously.charge for 2 days and the solar light post will b redy for use, email me on imertechnology@hotmail.co.uk
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Paul1010: 10:00pm On Jun 01, 2009
Gents,

In refs to solar energy usage in Nigeria, it could be done . From the threaded discussion, some are Miss-informed about the cost to have a system installed.An average price for a complete system designed for a 4bedroom house is about ten thousand dollars and about two thousand dollars for installation. It could be roof top mounted or ground mounted depending on the availability of space. the modules  ( inverters ),are the most expensive ranging from 2k to 3k ( Thousand ). I will be glad to help on system design for any one serious about having alternate power in their home in Nigeria. My email address is psor68@yahoo.com. Look out for EM Green Energy,coming soon to Nigeria ( Sept 09) . Maintenance services include in your package.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by dinggle: 11:32pm On Jun 04, 2009
Solar panels are not all expensive as we all presume it to be!, just like in the case of generator, you can get a small solar panel able to power a small fan and a 14-inch t.v, also there are also energy efficient bulbs presently in the market that can be used with solar. The solarpanel below goes for 20k .

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by brill: 1:13pm On Jun 06, 2009
in the interim you can outdoor garden solars, 1k per light, pls see solar light in the advert section.

regards
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by nnenneigbo(f): 8:26pm On Jun 14, 2009
does anyone know a fitter in Abia or enugu please? mum's looking for a quote

thanks
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 6:40pm On Jun 22, 2009
Solar panel is not powerful enuf to power some appliances.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Litmus: 2:48pm On Jul 06, 2009
Whatever happened to this project::

Nigeria Investing in Solar Energy to Power Rural Communities

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/nigeria_launche.php
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by tci(m): 4:54pm On Aug 12, 2009
Wind Turbine is somethng we must begin to look into, 24 hrs power supply. more info at www.ansopower.com or mail, tobo_imarah@ansopower.com or call 07036563250 or 07058639941
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by nuraabi: 6:51pm On Aug 13, 2009
there is no sun in nigeria maybe

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by kokorunna(m): 1:03pm On Aug 18, 2009
Its the cost, its too expensive. I did a feasibility study for a property business in Lagos who spends close to 3M on diesel every month for a 10 storey building. The solar panel or system for this business will cost over 300M dollars plus installation, that's the payment for LIFE.

At the end of the day, the company I did the feasibility study for said NO, but in the long run it will cost more than 300M dollars in the next  few years. Spending 36M Naira on diesel alone is CRAZYNESS in 1 year. grin
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by sonety2k(m): 10:30am On Oct 28, 2009
cool
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Danimos(m): 4:38am On Nov 30, 2009
It wont work because top politicians are into generator business
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Megadeals: 9:13am On Dec 03, 2009
A roof-integrated photovoltaic system designed to form a complete roof. The solar panels  replaces tiles or other roof coverings and is ideal for new or existing homes.
The technology is a lot better and cheaper today than ever before.

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by ayomidej(f): 4:31pm On Dec 03, 2009
Too expensive
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by sagalove: 1:01am On Dec 09, 2009
I currently install solar panels here in America and am  thinking of starting the business in Nigeria.I was in Nigeria 3 weeks ago for a funeral and i was surprised how people live.Wealthy and fortunate ones live on generators,business also live on it too.Engaged in a discussion with a business man in Nigeria and he told me he spends over 6 million naira on diesel fuel alone and i think that is insane.I think Nigeria is ready for solar energy and i have started working on the project.Hopefully by October 2010 i will start my own business in Nigeria installing solar panels until then please fell free to contact me on my phone number 6463010829 or my email olusolaokusaga@yahoo.com.Also feel free to leave comments,ideas and concerns on this forum.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by mccloud224(m): 12:50am On Dec 11, 2009
Megadeals:

A roof-integrated photovoltaic system designed to form a complete roof. The solar panels  replaces tiles or other roof coverings and is ideal for new or existing homes.

Can roofing like this be done in Nigeria?I mean as of now?
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by No2Atheism(m): 1:02am On Dec 11, 2009
Megadeals:

That is a very good idea . . .

I have also considered that idea as part of my own dream house . . . cus in reality i want to be as independent of government as possible. . .

Most people do not realise that once you solve the power issue, Nigeria is probably one of the most pleasant legally free places to live in the world. Little things that we take for granted in Nigeria are done only via issuing of licenses over here in the west (partly why some nigerians find it difficult to integrate once they come over to the west).

- yes politicians would not allow the solar energy thingy to kick in.
- solar energy is not really sustainable for industrial capacity kind of work, hence people should focus more on using it for home kind of appliances and maintenance.
- energy storage is a big problem hence providing cost effective and environmentally friendly storage solutions would be desirable.
- the technology sorrounding solar panels is improving constantly such that maybe in 10 years times the efficiency might actually be useful.
- Bringing the technology to a mass market like Nigeria and mass producing and selling as a consumer electronic and not as a luxury product would go a long way to make it common place. Such that generators gradually become phased out by sheer force of economic demand for cheap solar panels.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by No2Atheism(m): 1:05am On Dec 11, 2009
Personally in terms of general public consumption, I do not yet think Solar Energy as a technology is matured enough . . . the cost of ownership is still quite high.

There is good news however cus more and more improvements is being obtained daily . . . in the area of solar energy
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Megadeals: 6:08am On Dec 11, 2009
No2Atheism:

Personally in terms of general public consumption, I do not yet think Solar Energy as a technology is matured enough . . . the cost of ownership is still quite high.

There is good news however cus more and more improvements is being obtained daily . . . in the area of solar energy

The cost should continue to go down as more and more people embraces it. Solar power is already being used in Asia to power everything from homes to train stations and even an Olympic stadium.
It's no longer a question of whether it can work but whether the agents of darkness in Nigeria will let it work.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by blankaw: 4:40pm On Feb 25, 2010
patience my friends. 10 years ago mobile was a luxe thing, now it's everywhere. in 10 years time solar will be much more common, although i don't doubt not everywhere as yet. too much money is pumped into 'traditional' energy markets, and no big company will waste away all those investments by focusing solely on process of solar.
but on the brighter side: the more people buy it, the more common and competitive it becomes. the cheaper it gets.
grin
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by newvision: 2:44pm On Feb 26, 2010
From my view point Solar or some form of alternative power is the way to go, the problem is with perception and awareness.Most Nigerians percieve this technology to be expensive, without indepth consideration to long term cost saving. To solar power a 1000 watts you will be looking to expend 1 million + Naira which seems high, however considering the alternative i.e diesel generators to power that same watts you will be looking to expend 400,000 + Naira on diesel per annum, by the time you include your initial purchase cost for the gen + ongoing maintenance costs, running a generator is way more expensive than Solar tech on the long run.

In terms of awareness, sorry to say, Nigerians have this Herd mentality, if my neighbour, colleague, relative, friend is doing it, then its good for me (without evaluating the situation to ascertain best - fit). Problem: Most people I speak to that run on gens probably only require half the size of the generator they currently use. Most people that use 25 KVA only need around 11 but if its the norm then thats fine, disregarding the amount of costly energy that goes to waste. A Solar Tech. quote based on a 25 KVA output is obviously significantly different from that of an 11 KVA output. Then theres the issue of energy saving, the cost to update home appliances to energy efficient ones is relatively cheap compared to the long term costs of powering them. there are energy efficient air conditioners, fridges, light bulbs, tvs that cost up to 70% less to run compared to the typical ones. These are simple practical steps that can be adopted, but no one seems to care, its the norm so lets all follow the pattern. there needs to be a change in the paradigm.

Affordability is another key issue (or so it seems) when solar tech is considered, however, the simple truth is Nigerians can afford it, they are currently powering their generators and Diesel is not cheap. on the long run people will still spend millions
of Naira to run their gens. A way of resolving this is for the financial institutions to assist and finance the purchases, and collects their returns , long term (thats what they are there for)
Just my two pence
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by newvision: 5:00pm On Feb 26, 2010
Also, as an earlier poster expressed the Solar technology is now being adapted to serve dual purposes, i.e cladding and roofing slates, a house built using solar roof slates generates electricity but also serves as a covering, the house needs to be roofed regardless, so why not use something that will generate electricty in the process. yes the price difference will be significant (dont have exact figures yet)but if we move our mindsets from the short-term this represents good investment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

List Of Genuine Online Businesses You Can Do / An Overcrowded Street Market In Port-Harcourt, Rivers State (Photos) / Mark Zuckerberg And Ime Archibon Run Marathon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.