Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,048 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? (3837 Views)

Who Sells Tokunbo (Used) Air Conditioners (AC) / Cheap Tokunbo Used Touch 1 And Curve 4 For Sale / I Need A Tokunbo/used Tv? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by hen6kay(m): 7:39am On Apr 10, 2007
Refurbished or Tokumbo Laptops?
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by Maleeq(m): 9:09am On Apr 13, 2007
They are one and thesame. They have both been used!
Personally, I would not advice you to go for a used laptop right now. Though some of them come at really cheap prices, dont get one cos the fact is that the price for a brand new ones is on the drop, everyday.
I am currently using a Lenovo/IBM T60, got it here 186K! (Now, that's cheap for an IBM). Acers spot really good specs for really low prices.
Unless you are planning to get laptops for a business center, save yourself a lot of potential troubles and go get a new one.

Peace out!
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by PushPa(f): 9:11am On Apr 13, 2007
i have no clue what a tokumbo laptop is but i would say never get a used laptop, i would wait save and buy a new one, macs are selling like crazy now so pc's and laptops are dropping in price everyday
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by Maleeq(m): 9:47am On Apr 13, 2007
@PushPa

The word "Tokunbo" simply means used or second hand product. And yeah, macs are really selling now. The only thing slowing them around here is the fear most people have that they wont get mac os alternatives to applications they run on pcs.
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by cheexy: 7:49am On Apr 16, 2007
Go for a new one. An old laptop would always be old and can't compete with a new one that just started its work. If it is for business, then you can go for a fairlu used one to cut costs. You would just be taking on someone's liability by taking a fairly used one. For more info please reach me on cheexycreations@yahoo.com. I sell. cheesy
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by eko4show(m): 9:16am On Apr 16, 2007
talking strictly from experience and a professional stand point

A used or tokunbo laptop is a gamble ( just like the "no testing" electronics market in alaba. It is purely a game of chance. you may be lucky to buy a very good used laptop , but if you are not so lucky, you could actually buy a scrap.

a refurbished laptop however may be more reliable, i have used a refurbished laptop for almost a year without a fault to date. That said, i will only recommend a brand new laptop any any day if you have the bucks. you dont have to buy a branded one like dell, sony or ibm, there are equally good and reliable brands like acer, hp , logic etc that you can get with a lower budget.

i hope this helps
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by Christino(m): 10:16am On Apr 16, 2007
A Tokunbo laptop is a used laptop while a refurbished one may not even have been used.

a laptop is refurbished if it is returned to the manufacturer (under warranty) an a new one issued to the owner. The laptop may have "slight" defects e.g. wrong lettering on the keyboard, wrong positioning of the usb slots, a scratch on the keypad, which are easily corrected by the manufacturer and resold at a huge discount.

Obviously refurbished laptops are way better than tokunbos and of course they look newer. some even hae the smell of "tear rubber/new odour" so the choice is yours.
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by abubaka(m): 10:55am On Apr 16, 2007
If u ve enough resources,i will advice that u go for the new one.But if u dont ve much,u go for tokunbo,afterall,u might be lucky to get one that would not give u problem.
But i still advice on new one.
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by ernal(m): 5:41pm On Apr 21, 2007
I need a Mac laptop anyone know where i can shop for any?
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by Christino(m): 7:18pm On Apr 21, 2007
Go to PC OUtlet (Palms) or shoprite @ lekki, they have loads of mac laptops for sale including pro.
Re: Is A Refurbished Laptop Better Than A 'Tokunbo' (Used) Laptop? by Ivvie: 4:32am On Dec 16, 2007
Maleeq:

They are one and thesame. They have both been used!
Personally, I would not advice you to go for a used laptop right now. Though some of them come at really cheap prices, don't get one because the fact is that the price for a brand new ones is on the drop, everyday.
I am currently using a Lenovo/IBM T60, got it here 186K! (Now, that's cheap for an IBM). Acers spot really good specs for really low prices.
Unless you are planning to get laptops for a business center, save yourself a lot of potential troubles and go get a new one.

Peace out!

IBM and ACER cannot level on the same platform. You cannot compare an HP with a Fujitsu (from it's shell to board technology). You have the PC's for the masses and those that work years after. For instance, CATIA R 16, 17, 18 (industry version) isn't by spec but by PC's. You can have a fast PC but may not be compatible with your machine and it's security dongle. It's the only plm tool that I know that is based via name and spec due to Enovia. A $500 laptop cannot scale a $2500 unit. They dissipate heat differently, optimal processing power holds up years after. Laptops designed for digital protyping and simulation will never level with multimedia or "trash bag" laptops.

(1) (Reply)

US Used Lenovo G470, Fast Intel Core-i5 2.3ghz --SOLD !! / Icould Locked Ipad Mini, Selling As Part Or To Anyone That Can Unlock....SOLD / IPAD3 & IPAD2 @ GIVE AWAY PRICE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.