Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,214 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

I need a Internet connection - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I need a Internet connection (2901 Views)

I'm Unable To Watch Online Videos Due To Slow Internet Connection. Any Way Out? / How To Become A Internet Service Provider (isp) In Nigeria? / Which Is The Best Internet Connection In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I need a Internet connection by EddyWehbe(m): 12:02pm On Jun 15, 2005
Introduction:
Hi all,

My name is Eddy Wehbe, and I'm a newbie here. I am Lebanese, and working in a printing factory in Ikeja. I have an MS degree in Control and Robotics. Hobies include networking and web design, so I think this forum might help me a lot, and I also can be helpful on many topics.

(www.SpringsteenLyrics.com is one of the websites I designed; check it out, and let me know what you think.)

Back to my subject:
I am redesigning the network in my company. I'm searching for an internet connection that satisfies our needs. We are now using 3 Multi-Links CDMA Stations on 3 of the computers (1 in each department), and sharing them on the network.

My evaluation:
We are paying 1x15,000 + 2x10,000 = N35,000
(one is 24hrs and the remaining 2 are till 6 p.m.)
We are getting an average download speed of 8-10KB/s on each

What I want:
What I'm using is not so effective; 3x8KB/s is a little slow for 20-25 computers, eventhough we only use Outlook Express and a little of web browsing.
I need an internet connection that can provide a higher speed, with a not so higher price.
I am also interested in Intranet, since we actually have 2 companies here in Ikeja.

I am investigating about the 4 internet providers I know about:
1- Cobranet (not convinced with their service)
2- DirectonPC (I heard they suck)
3- Netcom (no much info about them yet, and their Vsat is a little expensive)
4- Starcomms (no idea at all)

Can anybody recommend other companies, or give his opinion about the above
If you are using an internet service that might suits my needs, can you tell me how much you're paying, and what download speed you are getting.

As I learned from their website, Netcom are introducing a new service, called MyNetcom. It will be commercially available by next month, and they're offering the following prices:
BASIC - N6, 000.00 Monthly (100Kbps)
Plan 88 (Off Peak) - N15,000.00 Monthly (1Mbps)
HOME – N20, 000.00 Monthly (300Kbps)
PROFESSIONAL - N45, 000.00 Monthly (600Kbps)
If converting from Kbps to KB/s is simply dividing by 8, their service would be great! But I don't think it's the case sad
Anybody knows about it?

Thanks in advance,
Eddy Wehbe
Re: I need a Internet connection by Seun(m): 12:25pm On Jun 15, 2005
Hello Eddy,

We're happy to have you here on Nairaland!

The Starcomms Internet service works just like the Multilinks service you're currently using, so you shouldn't waste any time investigating it.

As for DirectOnPC, my experience has been that their customers don't have anything good to say about them tongue.

The Netcom Internet service offer looks good on paper, but there's one phrase on the My Netcom page that gives them away. It's the phrase "Shared Bandwidth". In Nigerian ISP circles, this simply means that you won't know what you're getting until you try it out, and the quoted bandwidth figures are all made up.

What we need to do is look for current customers of Cobranet and My Netcom and enquire about their experience so far. I have a good feeling about My Netcom, but this is the first time I'm learning about Cobranet.

Regards,
Seun.
Re: I need a Internet connection by EddyWehbe(m): 1:38pm On Jun 15, 2005
Wow! that was a quick reply Seun!
Thanks for the explaination.

In Nigerian ISP circles, this simply means that you won't know what you're getting until you try it out, and the quoted bandwidth figures are all made up.
Yes, I thought the same thing about shared bandwidth! The problem is that I don't know any users for Cobranet or Netcom so I can test their download speed or at least ask them about it.

And yes, My Netcom seems very promising, the way they present it on their website. The above prices I got them from them by email. The setup fee seems very expensive compared to Multilinks. It is about N80,000!
This cannot be tested since the service is not available until next month.
From the email I got from them:
"...you will get to purchase one when the service is commercially available by next month."

About Cobranet, here's their website: http://www.cobranet.org, but they don't mention a lot on it.
From the broshures I've got, they offer Vsat, Broadband, or DSL
Vsat is very expensive and old technology, according to them.

Broadband and DSL are actually the same: same set-up fee, same monthly cost for the same speed. Only hardware differs, and DSL, if it's good, is weather indepedent.
So for Broadband and DSL, they offer dedicated bandwidth and shared bandwidth.

Their dedicated bandwidth is too expensive (prices in USD):
[table][tr][td]Bandwidth
in Kbps[/td][td]Ratio
(1:4)[/td][td]Ratio
(1:2)[/td][td]Ratio
(1:1)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]64[/td][td]540[/td][td]656[/td][td]895[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]128[/td][td]1060[/td][td]1295[/td][td]1755[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]256[/td][td]2075[/td][td]2543[/td][td]3450[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]512[/td][td]4050[/td][td]4962[/td][td]6700[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]1024[/td][td]7900[/td][td]9677[/td][td]13100[/td][/tr][/table]

Their shared bandwidth seems to be a nice offer. They charge per user, and each user gets a connection speed of 32Kbps to 512Kbps, depending on the trafic, but it will never go less than that, as they claim. They also say that most of the time it is around 100-150Kbps. The sales woman said that the unit was KB/s (kilo byte), but that can't be true. It sure is Kbps. Prices (in USD):
1 IP - $100
2 IP - $160
3 IP - $220
4 IP - $280
5 IP - $340
6 IP - $385
7 IP - $430
8 IP - $475
9 IP - $520
10 IP - $565
11 IP - $610
12 IP - $650
13 IP - $690
14 IP - $730
15 IP - $770
16 IP - $810
17 IP - $850
18 IP - $890
19 IP - $930
10 IP - $970
100IP - $489300

Regards,
Eddy Wehbe
Re: I need a Internet connection by Seun(m): 2:03pm On Jun 15, 2005
Eddy,

Thanks for the additional information you've posted. It will certainly be helpful to other people in Lagos area who might be facing the same challenge.

Let's wait and see if any current users of My Netcom or Cobranet would find this page.

Seun.
Re: I need a Internet connection by Hunter(m): 11:16am On Jun 16, 2005
it would be far cheaper for you to host the actual site in a country with much higher bandwidth the nigeria and be more reliable and faster. You can still do intranet stuff if you setup a VPN however usually a trained professional is best at setting up large scale intranets.
Re: I need a Internet connection by akinjide(m): 3:33pm On Oct 18, 2005
truth about shared internet depends on whose telling the truth rolleyes, were setting up a WISP in ikeja for companies and individuals and I work for a company in the UK handling the project.
Most companies usually need just a basic always on internet connection nothing fancy but the problem is usually slow surfing due to connectivity and port attacks which take up all the upload space. if you work with a properly setup ISP and get even 10kbps/8kbps per system youll do just fine for downloading email, I had a satellite phone/data system in Lagos a while back that did just about that and I enjoyed it more than some cybercafes trust me. I have a 2mb/2mb DSL (and I mean proper DSL) at home in essex and until I locked down the whole network I did not realize how much madness you get exposed to once your on a public exposed internet.
Best bet for Nigeria ISPs get a proper network manager and someone who knows exctly what theyre doing, also issue out only private IPs and block all access for everything from source then maybe some people can manage to speak highly of your service!
Re: I need a Internet connection by dambuski(m): 3:48pm On Oct 19, 2005
Hello,

i believe i have a reliable solution for you. I am with Showers Information Technology Ltd, i can arrange for a site visit b paid to you to really determine what you have, need and the best solution that suits you. You can forward me your address, phone number or email so i can reach you.

I can b reached on iaghimien@sitlcom.net 01-8942672, 08023522684
Re: I need a Internet connection by chrisoskyp: 10:00am On Dec 05, 2005
Have you tried Netcom Africa? They are the rave of the moment in Town now with high speed and stable connection.You can access their web site on www.netcomafrica.com
Re: I need a Internet connection by Tinubu: 4:26pm On Dec 07, 2005
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]My advice for you is to go with Cobranet, I am using it since 8 months and so do many friends of mine and we are all Happy with the speed and the support, and since you are Lebanese, i think the owners of Cobranet are also Lebanese. wink

Tinubu
Re: I need a Internet connection by holyghost(m): 1:27am On Dec 15, 2005
Hi Eddy Wehbe,
cobranet is just all you need for now! it is quick 270 -300 Kb/s cheap as you already know.
am one of their agents and own 3 call centers connected to their link at lekki and UBA house and it works steadily just Like MTN compared to other GSM networks and they have true broadband not just a fluke like Direst on PC (sic).
just call them up on 2704588 -9 or 4445656-8 mention my name along with your request ( i need my commission from them(it will not add to your cost in any way). and you will get a good deal[b] or mail me to handle the whole  issue on your instance at no cost to you cool. [/b] I have been in this connectivity stuff for 10years but no Isp come close to cobranet, though Nitel tried but it soon develop cow diseases like foot and mouth and so went dead, now they are up again, with IP wholesale(expensive) but experience has shown that they are to be watched for two more years before one market them again.

Bye

Holyghost
CEO
PrimeAccess Inc. (Prime Call)TM
Re: I need a Internet connection by Ladapo(m): 1:17pm On May 03, 2007
Hello peeps,

I keep informing the house that some of these big names you keep mentioning are not the best to use, at least from my experience of most of them. I hate to mention names but I will like to let you know that Netcom may be good,it is not the best we have in Nigeria. I am presently using ITClick Networx, an ISP a friend referd me to and I can assure you, they are better, compared to MyNetcom which used to be my preffered network.

you can get through to them today, if what you want is a connection that will give you peace of mind -www.itclick.net
Re: I need a Internet connection by udohzone(m): 8:22pm On May 05, 2007
smileyITClick is a done deal,
grin Cobranet is a Cache House
angryNetcom dont Joke about wit dem Bandwidth
cooliWay Africa is da bomb
:-XStarcomms, Hmm, I hope u ain running something serious called BUSINESS
smileyNigerian ISP(s), dem be tif o!
Re: I need a Internet connection by holyghost(m): 8:48pm On May 05, 2007
I just want to use this chance to thank all of you for the confidence you give to me.
I have made progress in marketing Broadband Connection to people via this page, as at my last count i received an average of 11 calls a week and i have connected more than 25 clients to my networks as at today am happy that they keep calling from time to time to thank me for my connections. cool cool

I appeal to others who are still in doubt to get over it. just call me and feel the difference.

On a serious not the equipment is the only up scale factor at =N=70 thousand but if we talk one on one I may offer you some discount.
but  the cost  for subscription will remain for now, because at =N= 12, 400 per month that comes with speed above 300kbps. I am bold to say am the cheapest in this service
if in doubt check out other company in similar line of service.

even phone company like starcomms multilinks etc are not this cheap when you compare:
1 the speed and reliability of our connection over the month. we are up 24/7.
2. our equipment is of high quality (but phone box keep coming cheap due to poor quality)
3. doesn't deteriorate over time like phone-box (weak battery,poor reception sets in months)
4. our equipments is highly promiscuous shocked shocked (I.e it can be used on any broadband network) so u can move it from one state to another and get connected seamlessly.( but with phone you are stocked with the company and can never ever migrate with your phone to other network if they fail to serve you well) grin grin.
5. Download and upload is fast and continuous but with phone it's up and down trouble, in most cases you fail to get what you want after long time wasted.
there is more but let me not over kill them.

for your benefit call 080 34 73 23 23 or mail samholyghost@gmail.com and we shall have a deal. until then get lucky and join our networks! use email its better as there in no network failure but with GSM anything can happen, but try if you want my GSM is always on
grin grin grin wink
Re: I need a Internet connection by udohzone(m): 11:59pm On May 05, 2007
PIPS, I HOPE I DONT SOUND CHICKY, BUT I FIND MR. HOLYGHOST A VERY FUNNY FELLOW. YOU SEEM NOT 2 HAVE A COMPANY NAME BUT YOU HAVE CONNECTED WELL OVER 25 USERS, WHO ARE THEY, WHEN CAN WE TEST RUN THIS SYSTEM OF URS, ?

AND FOR A WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDER, YOU STILL RELY ON GMAIL FOR YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, SPEAK(S) LITTLE OF YOU AND THE COMPANY YOU SEF,

CAN U REVERT BACK TO SOME REAL SO THAT WE CAN GET TO MEET YOUR COMPANY BOTH ONLINE AND OFFLINE, NOT THRU SOME GSM NO. AND EMAIL ID,

AND FOR WHAT THE RECIPIENT ASKED OFF, HE REQUIRES A BROADBAND SERVICE PROVIDER, ALWAYS-ON AND HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION, A VSAT, FIBRE LINK FROM 21CTL AND CO. WOULD DO THE MAGIC FOR HIM, BUT THE COST FOR SOMETHING GOOD IS NOT CHEAP,

SO MR. HOLYGHOST, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, AND GET THE GUY A LINK WITH A NAME AND A CORPORATE EMAIL ADDRESS, SO AS TO FACILITATE ONLINE AND OFFLINE SUPPORT IN FUTURE,

YOUR WATCH-WORD SHOULD BE 'SERVICE'

CHEERS cool
Re: I need a Internet connection by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 06, 2007
You can try QuickFix Solutions.Its an Abuja-based ISP with mobile(laptop)solutions, desktop(fixed access) and vsat solutions.

I use them and they are very fast.They give shared bandwidth but at least they tell you upfront.Its quite cheap and the monthly access for your kind of office cant be more then 20k
Contact Phone is 08028025931
Re: I need a Internet connection by mekoyo(m): 3:25pm On May 10, 2007
You can get a broadband which is very fast for internet connection.
This broadband are not expensive, you just pay a minimum of 7000 per month.
It's only expensive when you purchase it at first and it is a 24 hours service.
Re: I need a Internet connection by Hotepo(m): 3:55pm On Nov 27, 2007
Eddy bomboi, invest in a broadband jare
Re: I need a Internet connection by holyghost(m): 4:52pm On Nov 28, 2007
Hi people,

we have a Christmas 2007 promo going on
if you subscribe for our broadband internet within Lagos we give you equipment worth of 65,000 for free
so those of you who are having problem with the cost of equipment are now set free (hallelujah somebody)
contact me for quick setup and other details

080 55 123 123 and 080 34 73 23 23
by mail Samholyghost@gamil.com
Re: I need a Internet connection by opensource(m): 12:00am On Nov 29, 2007
Try Best Communication , they are at lawanson bustop in Surelere

Very good
Re: I need a Internet connection by holyghost(m): 5:10pm On Nov 29, 2007
my brother call there name and address

I know what small internet users call the best in surulere bus/stop (best com cafe abi)
wake up i get the real stuff and it's cheap, connectnow if you have the chance or lose out after the promo
Re: I need a Internet connection by holyghost(m): 5:30pm On May 25, 2008
The price is down to 100,000

HI Guys, well to make a short story of this issue i can set you up a fully active cafe
with just =N=230,000 Link and 10systems of PIII with 5web cams how?
very easy like reading ABC in the university
well, let's get down

the total cost for equipment and installations is @ =N=100,000
the cost of 10 PIII systems is @=N=13,000
and Five(5) web cam @ =N= 2,000
total = =N=230,000.00

for home users total cost is 50,000

call now 080 34 73 23 23
samholyghost@mail.com
3/7 Kakawa Street just behind First Bank Head office at Marina Street, Lagos
Re: I need a Internet connection by nwumechuks: 8:10am On May 26, 2008
Dear sir/Madam,

Are you in search of a fast and reliable Broadband internet solution that will enable you to collaborate and achieve more?

Are you pissed off with your already existing provider?

Do you need an ISP that will exceed your expectation?

Please look no further 'cos i bring the solution to your door step.

It is SWIFT NETWORKS LTD. Nigerian leading Broadband network.

Believe me, this is the service you need to eable your team move up to the next level.

Come join us.
A trial will definitely convince you!

For further enquiries, please call Chuks on 08037505098, 01-8737443, or email cnwume@swiftng.com

Swift Networks Ltd.
31B Saka Tinubu Street,
Victoria island, Lagos.
www.swiftng.com
Re: I need a Internet connection by scantee(m): 12:42pm On May 27, 2008
HI GUYS MR AND MRS

yaa this is Engr Chibuike From Exommobile P.H

i have been using direct on pc
but there services always get problem, and they didnt pay attention to their customer when complaning all they konw is there money, so i dont recommend them to you

i think you should give a trial to starcom
Re: I need a Internet connection by nwumechuks: 7:25am On Jun 04, 2008
My People,

No ISP in town now is better than swift Networks.

Try it out now!

Please services abounds only in lagos for now!
Re: I need a Internet connection by becca7: 8:12am On Sep 18, 2010
You can check the internet connection here http://www.ip-details.com/ and also get the ip address,ip search,domain host search,get ip details,
Re: I need a Internet connection by Murrey101: 12:46pm On Oct 13, 2011
Hello
My name is miss Mercy

anyway i came across your profile on

site and i love it so much.Here is my

email address (Mercymurrey49@yahoo.com)

you can email me with the above id then

i will send you my picture and also tell

you more about my self

have a nice day

THANKS
Mercy
Re: I need a Internet connection by Maleeq(m): 3:21pm On Oct 13, 2011
he he he he @ Murrey101. . . you replied on the wrong thread Lord have "Mercy". . .  grin

Googling that ID returned over a thousand "scam like" results! Caution to every and anyone reading this.

(1) (Reply)

Repair Your Laptop Here,aa Technologies, 11 Otigba Street, Ikeja Lagos / The Mobitel 4g Aura / How To Download Bible And Dictionary On Chinese Nokia Phones?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.