Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,460 members, 7,770,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:40 AM

What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? (63222 Views)

The Original Yoruba Word For Wife Is Aya Not Iyawo. / Can Anyone From The Esan Tribe Tell Me What Iyawo Uwe Kakabor Means?????? / What does the word 'Biafra' mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by IB7(f): 8:50pm On Jan 07, 2006
This topic is directed to the yoruba folks on this forum and of course all the nigerians.

What does IYAWO mean? 

Regards,
I.B.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by kenflavor(m): 10:42pm On Jan 07, 2006
it mean a WIFE
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by IB7(f): 3:40am On Jan 08, 2006
Thx a bunch kenflavor.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Olorididan(m): 3:58am On Jan 10, 2006
it actually means....... "...OH LOOK.... HERE LIES AN UNIMAGINABLE AMOUNT OF PAIN!!!...." cool
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by IB7(f): 5:37am On Jan 10, 2006
olariddan, can you elaborate more ?

Regards,
I.B.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by hotangel2(f): 8:29am On Jan 10, 2006
He's joking. it mean wife.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Olorididan(m): 5:58pm On Jan 10, 2006
@ I.B.

"Iya..." in yoruba means lots of "pain" or suffering
"Wo..." in yoruba means "look here"........

put together literally...... the above wink!

Hot-A knows that...... don't U schveethaart!!
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Seun(m): 8:17pm On Jan 10, 2006
The word means wife and nothing more.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by tommiekidd(m): 11:36pm On Jan 10, 2006
'iyawo' means 'wife'.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by hotangel2(f): 11:37pm On Jan 10, 2006
Olorididan:

@ I.B.

"Iya..." in yoruba means lots of "pain" or suffering
"Wo..." in yoruba means "look here"........

put together literally...... the above wink!

Hot-A knows that...... don't U schveethaart!!

Why break the word? It's ONE word.. leave it that way.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by IB7(f): 2:30am On Jan 11, 2006
o.k. guys, thx a bunch for explaining. The reason I asked is because someone said it. I thought it was a bad word because, it was said out of the blue. I thought I was being insulted.
Once again thx.

I.B.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by aamad12(f): 3:49pm On Jan 13, 2006
h
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by IB7(f): 2:20am On Jan 14, 2006
Hi, aamad12.
How are you? I have included your id in my MSN Messenger.

Talk to you later,
I.B.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by mochafella(m): 2:54am On Jan 19, 2006
Hey I.B.

just out of curiosity, what context was it being used in?
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by IB7(f): 4:19pm On Jan 21, 2006
[b]I couldn't decide whether it was a bad or good context.  But if you must know..... The other person was just laying on the couch after some meal (egusi soup and pounded yam ~ I had cooked it prior to that day).  We were just talking not fighting or arguing.....  I got up - as in moving toward the kitchen - then I heard it.  This was the second time I heard it and both times the person was implying it to me.  The first time, the person was on the fone, referring to me as "iyawo."  I never asked because there were other people around and we were having suya cook out.

The context on the second time really bugged me because it was said out of the blue without any rudeness or likeliness but just said.  So I asked "what does that mean?" The person said "lady." I asked why do you say that?  The person just shrugged their shoulder and said, "no reason" and continued with the prior conversation.

Please understand that this person is not from yoruba but a nigerian because I do understand now that its a yoruba word, right? I asked a friend of mine who isn't yoruba they said, it means "wife" another person who also isn't yoruba said, some folks referred to it as going to get ladies, I take it as being a prostitute or LovePeddler which am neither.  I was confused because the person who said it thinks am too perfect or at least I try to be proper and perfect. 

So I guessed if it means lady like my friend said, then it means "miss proper."  I couldn't take it off my mind.  I asked my friend to spell it for me so I could post it on this forum and asked y'alls opinions.

Regards,
I.B.[/b]
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Seun(m): 3:05am On Jan 22, 2006
<deleted rant>
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by IB7(f): 3:27am On Jan 22, 2006
Alright men, Seun please do not insult my intelligence. I replied to an authors' question. Before I posted the topic, I THOUGHT it meant a BAD WORD. But now, I know what it means!

Regards,
I.B.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by mochafella(m): 11:42am On Jan 22, 2006
Yep it is a Yoruba word, and it's typically not used in a denigratory manner. Loosely, it is also describes the female half of a serious relationship.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by TheOneBK: 5:46am On Feb 08, 2006
I think these sites may help a bit.... from my experiance, an Iyawo is a person that has just been reborn in the Yoruba religion. 

http://www.church-of-the-lukumi.org/decreeiyawo02.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/my/IyawoExperience/
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Seun(m): 8:09am On Feb 08, 2006
Says who? Iyawo means wife.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by 9jaangel(f): 2:00pm On Feb 08, 2006
iyawo simply means wife to both lay men and the ellites
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by TheOneBK: 12:19am On Feb 10, 2006
Like i said.....from my experiances.... there are many words out there that have many definitions depending on where your from.... i am in Brooklyn NY and that is what it means here. At no time did i say that i am right and you are wrong.
it was a general question for all to answer.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Bisanke(f): 10:38am On Feb 16, 2006
Iyawo means wife
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by vichel(m): 9:22am On Feb 25, 2006
It's not entirely a Yoruba word, its also an Edo word, It means New Wife. That is a lady who just got married, but sometimes the name gets stuck, and u end up bearing the name after probably ten years of marriage, even divorce.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by talk2ll: 1:34pm On Mar 02, 2006
Iyawo means me.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by vichel(m): 6:02pm On Mar 02, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy congrats
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by IBBFan(m): 2:48am On Mar 03, 2006
hey I.B. (iyawo)

u shld talk 2 me personally n i'l let u kno everythin in full.

we'r name-sakes lready. where r u 4rm?
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by babymine(f): 6:45pm On Mar 07, 2006
Newly married woman. smiley
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by oluwizard(m): 10:38pm On Mar 13, 2006
Iyawo in TOGO mean's thursday in yoruba mean wife iyawo mi mean's my wife
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by africanboy(m): 4:00pm On Mar 16, 2006
there is a folktale behind the word IYAWO. let me try to remember,

A man travelled to a town "IWO" and spent some years there. He found a beautiful lady and came back with her to his town. People asked him who she was and he replid "Ere iya ti mo lo je ni Iwo" (meaning: the {gift} of the suffering i had in Iwo".

She was promptly named - Iya Iwo (meaning: the suffering of Iwo)

shortened, it became, Iyawo.

Hope I helped!

1 Like

Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Layemi(f): 8:53am On Mar 29, 2006
Yes, IYAWO means wife,but the modernized meaning of IYAWO means someone that doesn't have work to do probable someone that stays at home all day doing nothing.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by IBBFan(m): 3:02pm On Apr 01, 2006
Layemi:

Yes, IYAWO means wife,but the modernized meaning of IYAWO means someone that doesn't have work to do probable someone that stays at home all day doing nothing.

that is "housewife".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony / Tanzanian Women Twerk In Public, Go Viral. See Reactions (photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo's Young Wives Pose Together (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.