Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

I Need A Literary Agent For My Books - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Need A Literary Agent For My Books (3575 Views)

My Books / I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by goodstuff: 12:08pm On Jul 20, 2010
Hi, my name is Iyke Igwe. I am a Nigerian writer, residing in Nigeria.
I recently completed what has been described as an interesting and absolutely humorous novel. The book is Fiction – although based on a true story. I am currently looking for a reputable Literary Agent for my book.
Below is the Synopsis of the book:

SYNOPSIS

“The story centres on a family’s awful experience in one of the non-conducive, public, noisy and in most cases insufferable tenement building apartments scattered throughout Lagos metropolis, Nigeria – popularly referred to by many as, ‘Face me I Face You.’

Based on a true story, the book critically (and humorously too) examines vices such as envy, jealousy, greed, hatred, hypocrisy, gossips, charms (Local African Medicine for casting spells and jinx on people) and other negative things prevalent in such a congested environment.

It is a book that portrays certain – and sometimes shocking – realities of life. And it hinges on the fact that the resolution to survive in any given situation – or condition – no matter how terrible, depends greatly on the twin principles of patience and perseverance.”

In addition I have written a collection of over 160 Poems, covering virtually every subject under the Sun. Below is one of my Poems:

THE NEW DAWN

Sitting, relaxed, atop the cool grass-filled rock,

Jutting out proudly over the calm blue ocean,

I stared in stoned-wonder; held captive

By the magnificent rising of the yellow sun,

Ascending, gracefully, across the serene horizon,

And ushering in the bright and long awaited new world;

A world, free from the shackles of religion,

Unheld by the chains of ethnicity;

Devoid of the differences in colour.

A world wrapped up in the warm covers of peace;

Overshadowed by the immutable display of inestimable love.

A world tongue-deep in sincere equality;

Lacking the Political, Social, and Economic segregations;

Where none is poor or hungry; a violence-free

Community – where morality stands overall; scoring

On all points; in all ramifications.

I see a world where there are no foes – but friends;

Where the Lions lie closely with the Lambs –

Sharing, caring; and rapturously cherishing one another;

A world where the natural unites with the

Supernatural to form a universal positive whole –

Stamped with truth and justice.

This new world, which I speak of, begins with you!

Iyke Igwe
©JUNE 2010

Any interested Agent can reach me on:

Mobile Phone no: +234(0)703 091 4532

Email address: igwesm@yahoo.com

NOTE 1: I’m going to give 10% of the Advance Payment on the book(s) to anyone who succeeds in helping me locate a reputable Literary Agent. In addition, the person will also receive 10% of my royalty from the sales of the book(s) – for a period of three years.

NOTE 2: I’m going to give 20% of the Advance Payment on the book(s) to any Literary Agent who succeeds in getting a good publisher for the book(s).
In addition the Literary Agent will receive 20% of my royalty from the sales of the book(s).
Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 23, 2010
Goodluck in your search. I truely hope you find one real soon.
It just baffles me how much this country of ours is full of great talents and yet still havie them wasting along,
A terrible country it is we live in.
Once again all the best.
Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by Ndipe(m): 10:10pm On Jul 23, 2010
Go on Amazon.com and purchase books on how to get a literary agent. Best wishes.
Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 23, 2010
^^^ na wa for you oh!

Bros say make you link am up with agent for naija you say make im go amazon. how will that help a real life situation like this. What he wants right now is CONNECTION. Amazon will only show steps on how the, woooo i no fit shout.
Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 23, 2010
@ Poster,

Will you like to join our team of freelance writers for our magazine

You could bring incepts from your novel into different editions of the magazine.

I will love to give you a column were you can write or "make believe" but real stories of life in Lagos (and other cities).

If you are instrested please mail niromsolutions@yahoo.com.

Cheers.
Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by Ndipe(m): 1:37am On Jul 24, 2010
talknafree:

^^^ na wa for you oh!

Bros say make you link am up with agent for naija you say make im go amazon. how will that help a real life situation like this. What he wants right now is CONNECTION. Amazon will only show steps on how the, woooo i no fit shout.

I think getting a book providing a listing of agents and their contact information will be important in establishing useful contact with them. So, there is nothing wrong in my advise.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by MyneWhite1(f): 9:21pm On Jul 24, 2010
try www.agentquery.com

most of the agents there are outside Nigeria FYI

All the best.
Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by wumifab(m): 6:32am On Sep 23, 2010
call a publishing house on 08059864322, they can help if your work is good. they published "a heart to mend" in nigeria and a host of others. check the list below of some

Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by Orikinla(m): 5:58pm On Sep 23, 2010
Getting an agent is not easy and if you are not a popular writer, you have to wait for a while.

I know a literary consultant who charges as much as $3, 000 to represent you and she is really good.

See Author One Shop.

AUTHOR ONE STOP
Randy Peyser, CEO
P. O. Box 151
Aromas, CA 95004
(831) 726-3153
randy@authoronestop.com
Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by MadMax1(f): 10:02pm On Sep 23, 2010
Reputable agents do not charge money to represent a writer. They also do not charge reading fees. A literary consultant is not a literary agent, merely someone who critiques your work for a fee. Litarary agents charge nothing. They're agents; they work on the commission they get the writer, a percentage of the writer's earnings. There are no literary agencies in Nigeria, but you could check out some UK agents. Visit their websites, look at what each agent represents and email the one you think might like your work. Agencies like United Agents, www.unitedagents.co.uk, are always looking for good talent. Look for websites that list agencies and browse through. Make sure your work is really good though, and that the agent likes African writing. Chimamanda Adichie is represented by Sarah Chalfant at the Wylie Agency. Chinua Achebe, and the best writers on earth, are represented by David Higham Agency, www.davidhigham.co.uk. There's also Curtis Brown agency, www.curtisbrown.co.uk. Do your homework. All the resources you need is online, free; agent websites, and agent contact information. Find out more about how to contact them, what not to do, how to write a query letter that'll 'hook' your target agent, etc. That's all I know. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by Ndipe(m): 11:17pm On Sep 23, 2010
Orikinla:

Getting an agent is not easy and if you are not a popular writer, you have to wait for a while.

I know a literary consultant who charges as much as $3, 000 to represent you and she is really good.

See Author One Shop.

AUTHOR ONE STOP
Randy Peyser, CEO
P. O. Box 151
Aromas, CA 95004
(831) 726-3153
randy@authoronestop.com

Reputable literary agents dont charge a fee.
Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by rimmzy: 1:23am On Sep 24, 2015
I am no literary agent but this is the advice I will give u. Have u heard of amazon kindle publishing? Since u have published works u can convert them to ebooks and self publish on amazon kindle. Secondly to receive your cash from amazon you must have a US bank account. Open with payoneer u don't have to be in US to have a US bank account. Then you can collect whatever money or royalty you earn from amazon. I advice u do the second before the first as payoneer will give u a master card for free and it take approximately 5 weeks to arrive nigeria. Anyways I have rambled enough browse more about this and do your research. Best of luck in your endeavours.
Re: I Need A Literary Agent For My Books by RevPlusConsults(f): 12:28am On Nov 26, 2019
Rev Plus Consults is your trusted go to firm if you are in search of Literary Agents.

The founder Angela Oguche Onoja has helped and still helping lots of writers to get their books published, get known and get paid.

(1) (Reply)

A Nigerian Story As Never Told Before / My Pain...My Beauty. / I Want To Publish A Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.