Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. (9130 Views)

The True Problem With The National Team / Emmanuel Emenike Retires From The National Team / A List Of Great Players Who Failed As Coaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 9:11pm On Jul 20, 2010
Lets list some Nigerian players of the past who however good they were, did not make it at the national team. Some made it to the national side but failed to impress.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 9:15pm On Jul 20, 2010
My starting list:
Ibe Johnson-Left sided midfielder cum central midfielder, played for stores and Nationale, but emerged at the same time Emmanuel Amuneke was emerging. He excelled at Africa Sports but hardly got a call up to the eagles camp.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 9:17pm On Jul 20, 2010
Dotun Alatise: former Stores, Rangers and 3sc left winger. Got brief stints at the national team, but failed to impress.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 9:23pm On Jul 20, 2010
Ekenna Nnado. Emerged at the same time Kanu emerged. A product of Nationale feeder team. He was rated ahead of Kanu and Mobi Oparaku when they first signed for Nationale. But injury cut his career short. He is the son of former Spartans FC of Owerri coach-Isaac Nnado.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by 12large: 9:23pm On Jul 20, 2010
etim esin for me one of the best dribblers even in nigeria football, he came out in 1987, then after his problems in belgium he ran away to nigeria. prior to 1992 world cup qualifier games, nigeria players including etim esim was not paid so they decided to boycott nigeria team, westerhoff told them that if they boycott that team he would never call them up. now tday etis esin is history imagine nigeria formation for 1994 worldcup 433 just midfield

oliseh
                              okocha    etim esin
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2010
12large:

etim esin for me one of the best dribblers even in nigeria football, he came out in 1987, then after his problems in belgium he ran away to nigeria. prior to 1992 world cup qualifier games, nigeria players including etim esim was not paid so they decided to boycott nigeria team, westerhoff told them that if they boycott that team he would never call them up. now tday etis esin is history imagine nigeria formation for 1994 worldcup 433 just midfield

oliseh
okocha etim esin

Etim was really great, thanks for reminding me.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 9:28pm On Jul 20, 2010
Tunji Adeyemi. The livewire of 3sc midfield in the 90's. His most achievement was a call up to flying eagles camp in 1989.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 9:41pm On Jul 20, 2010
Rowland Ewere: Veteran Bendel insurance player. He later played for shooting stars of Ibadan towards the last stages of his career, but never made it to the national team.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by DrKitaun(m): 11:15pm On Jul 20, 2010
Collins Ebitimi of Stores.

Seyi Ogunsanya of J Berger and Rangers.

Bunmi Adigun of Leventis Utd

Uwem Ekarika of Leventis Utd.

Bobolayefa Edon of Stores.

Ayo Ogunlana of Ranchers Bees.

Angus Ikeji of Iwuanyanwu Nationale.

The Kpakor brothers of BCC Lions.

Edema Fuludu of BCC Lions.

Raymond King of Abiola babes.

Toyin Ayinla of Abiola Babes.

Andrew Uwe of Leventis Utd.

Of all, he who would have shaken the world most woulda been ADEOLU ADEKOLA !
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by supereagle(m): 6:48am On Jul 21, 2010
Andrew Uwe played for the National team in Algeria 90.
Moses kapor played for Nigeria when westhanhof was there.

we have Fatai Atere
               Late Lemmy Issah
               Emma Babayaro
Victor Ezeji
Segun Oluseyi
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by DrKitaun(m): 1:08pm On Jul 21, 2010
Supereagle

cant u read ? Did ANDREW UWE and MOSES KPAKOR impress at the national team level ?
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by naso2(m): 4:48pm On Jul 21, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Oga, which kind list you come place for here now?

So if dem ask you, you go say ebitimi collins(babwire) na good player? Danni shittu na lionel messi for where ebitimi collins dey . Collins is pure kick- -and-follow, no skill , no sense , isale-eko player so no mention him name, make i no vex. angry angry

Angus ikeji was NEVER an eagles material , he was so bad in goal that peter amadi had to come to his rescue in saudi 89. remember damman miracle?

Moses kpakpor played for super eagles , so i dont understand why he is on your list.

Andrew uwe also played for green (super) eagles , although only a few matches. ABEG CHECK YOUR RECORDDS

1 Like

Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by DrKitaun(m): 5:14pm On Jul 21, 2010
na_so:

Oga, which kind list you come place for here now?

So if dem ask you, you go say ebitimi collins(babwire) na good player? Danni shittu na lionel messi for where ebitimi collins dey . Collins is pure kick- -and-follow, no skill , no sense , isale-eko player so no mention him name,   make i no vex. angry angry

Angus ikeji was NEVER an eagles material , he was so bad in goal that peter amadi had to come to his rescue in saudi 89. remember damman miracle?

Moses kpakpor played for super eagles , so i dont understand why he is on your list.

Andrew uwe also played for green (super) eagles , although only a few matches. ABEG CHECK YOUR RECORDDS

Some of you dont have the ability to read and understand . . .

what the poster simply said was ;

Andre Uweh:

Lets list some Nigerian players of the past who however good they were, did not make it at the national team. Some made it to the national side but failed to impress.

so, if I mention those who made it and failed to impress would I be deemed wrong ?

Jesus wept !

aside, the thread was created for everyone to state their opinion, state your opinion and vamoose as no one gives a flaming fck if u dont reckon with Collins Ebitimi . . .BTW as raw and rugged as he was I used to adore him as a Stores supporter, if u wanna know more about raw and skill-less defenders research about 10-10, that cant be too hard to do !!!

Angus Ikeji wasnt Green Eagle material ?  shocked

BTW, its EMEKA AMADI, not Peter Amadi . . .ur too know no go kill u tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by IbrahimB: 5:29pm On Jul 21, 2010
Jonathan Akpoborie
James Obiora
Karibe Ojigwe
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 7:26pm On Jul 21, 2010
Chris Ohenhen: One of the best players at Saudi 89. Though played for Nigeria against Kenya in world cup qualifier under Phillipe Troussier in 1997. He fizzled out afterwards.
Christopher Nwosu: Golden eaglets 87, Saudi 89, he played for Nigeria in 1990 but failed to impress.
Chinedu Anazonwu: under 23 Cairo 91. He became history after that competition.
Ishaya Jatau. Highest goal scorer in the early days of pro football in Nigeria. He played for Iwuanyanwu, left for Ivory coast in 2002, and the rest is now history.
Kwesi Bonsu: Though a Ghanian, but prefered to play for Nigeria ahead of Ghana. But failed to play for any of the countries. He was a very important member of the Stores team of the early 90's.
Duke Udi: He played a vital role in the early stages of dream team 1. He played for Concord of Lagos, later of Abeokuta, but established himself at 3sc of Ibadan and played for Grasshoppers in Switzerland. Did not make it to super eagles.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by ow11(m): 8:09pm On Jul 21, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Is this the same Seyi Ogusanya. . .The same one that played for 3SC in the 1999 CAF Champions league and moved to Enyimba to later form the Home Based CB pairing with Eric Ejiofor?

Edema Fuludu scored the First goal against Congo in the 1994 CAN qualifier in Enugu and Finidi George scored the second. He was in the final 22 in Tunisia

I think these two although had brief stints, did fairly well

My List

Loveday Omoruyi - Captain Fantastic for Julius Berger in the 90s

Can't remember Bawa Abdullahi playing any SE game

Macauley Chrisantus  grin grin

Monday Agbontaen

Ekundayo Aiyejuyomi - Used to score wonderful goals for 3SC

Kennedy Boboye

Imama Amapakabo - Played for the Junior team but did well for Sharks for so many years. . Good goalkeeper but we had Rufai, Agu and Shorunmu during his peak so never got a look in.

Sam Ledor - Wonderful midfielder who used to play for Rangers until 2 years ago

Ndidi Anumunu - Very good Striker that played for Enyimba and Nationale

Abubakar Musa - Eagle Cement midfielder in the late 90s and ealry noughties. . . Froze at the big stage in Nigeria '99 after loosing the armband to Rabiu Afolabi and never got a look in again. His goal against Pero athletico in the 1998 Champions league qualifier was top draw!

Ibrahim Kwairanga - Used to play for Gombe United in the 90s with his brother Alhaji but was way better

Terwasi Tali - The youngest of the Tali brothers in Eagle Cement of those days! Kai! The fact that Pius Ikedia went to world cup should make this n*gga cry. . .

1 Like

Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by abadaba(m): 9:04pm On Jul 21, 2010
@OW11.
Imama was awesome. He was so unlucky not to make it to the top. May be because of his height.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by manuch(m): 11:21pm On Jul 21, 2010
totty O totty Ex Rangers captain

baldwin bazuaye

tony emoefudu

ndubisi okosieme

john ene okon
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by DrKitaun(m): 11:51pm On Jul 21, 2010
Okosieme performed well alongside Tarila Okoronwata and Humphrey Edobor
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by manuch(m): 2:11am On Jul 22, 2010
Amaechi ottiji

peter ijeh
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 10:34pm On Jul 22, 2010
Tony Nwigwe: highest goalscorer Nigerian pro league in 1993. Helped Nationale win league in1993. Played for Nigeria vs Congo in world cup qualifier at Enugu in 1993. He failed to impress Westerhoff.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by mamagee3(f): 5:48pm On Jul 23, 2010
Michael Essien- Was out on an injury.

John Obi Mikel- Was out on an injury.

I don't about the rest of them.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by bawomolo(m): 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2010
^^^

posting outside romance and celebrity section is not by force o
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by mamagee3(f): 7:06pm On Jul 23, 2010
^^Quoting me isn't by force ooo. cool
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 12:08am On Jul 24, 2010
Ikechukwu Ofoje. Captain of Rangers football club of Enugu. He was seen as the future of Nigeria's defence. But he left to study in the U.S and nothing was heard of him again.
Taofeek Malik: The dean of 3SC midfield and one of the best midfielders in the early stages of the pro league, but faded with ease when he turned pro abroad.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by mukina2: 11:20am On Jul 24, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Lets list some [size=18pt]Nigerian players[/size] of the past who however good they were, did not make it at the national team. Some made it to the national side but failed to impress.

mama-gee:

Michael Essien- Was out on an injury.

John Obi Mikel- Was out on an injury.

I don't about the rest of them.
Essien na nigerian?
Mikel na of the past tell me something i dunno

bawomolo:

^^^

posting outside romance and celebrity section is not by force o
thanks Bawo grin
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by Okijajuju1(m): 11:31am On Jul 24, 2010
Chris Santus
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by mamagee3(f): 5:55pm On Jul 24, 2010
mukina2:

Essien na nigerian?
Does it say Nigerian players who didn't make it to the national team?

Or are you blinded by cataracts?
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by adino(m): 9:09pm On Jul 25, 2010
Andrew Aikhomogbe
Aliyu Mozanbelu- The Best Goalkeeper Nigeria never had of the then El-Kanemi warriors. ( He was over looked and nver called up)
Roland Ewere
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by Katsumoto: 12:36am On Jul 26, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Okosieme performed well alongside Tarila Okoronwata and Humphrey Edobor

Okosieme scored one of my favorite Eagles goals of all time at Surulere against Zaire in 87. We won that game 2 - 0 Henry Nwosu was captain. He received the ball on the right side of box, raised it over the on-rushing defender and then scored with a scissors kick right on the edge of the box. National stadium turned into something else. Those were the glory days of football. How players such as those didn't play at the WC yet talentless players such as Ogbuke did.
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by Katsumoto: 12:41am On Jul 26, 2010
Andrew Uweh,

Your memory of Nigerian players impresses me a great deal.

My list

Dahiru Sadi
Bunmi Adigun
Duke Udi
Oladimeji Lawal
Nosa Osadolor
Ayo Ogunsanya
Toyin Ayinla
Haruna Ilerika
Chidi Nwanu (Even though he was great for Eagles in 94, he didn't get in the team before that and faded after USA 94)
Richard Owobokiri
Re: Good Players Who Did Not Make It At The National Team. by AndreUweh(m): 5:39pm On Jul 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

Andre Uweh,

Your memory of Nigerian players impresses me a great deal.

My list

Dahiru Sadi
Bunmi Adigun
Duke Udi
Oladimeji Lawal
Nosa Osadolor
Ayo Ogunsanya
Toyin Ayinla
Haruna Ilerika
Chidi Nwanu (Even though he was great for Eagles in 94, he didn't get in the team before that and faded after USA 94)
Richard Owobokiri
Nosa, former ACB FC and Flying Eagles right full back. He was a member of Chile 87 disaster which included the following: Law Ukaegbu, Adeola Adekola, Peter Nieketien, John Okon, Etim Esin, Ladi Babalola, Ikponwonsa Omoregie, Thompson Oliha, Willie Okpara etc.
At the moment, Nosa plays for my Sunday-Sunday league team in the Thames Valley area. At his age coupled with his big size, he still does unbelievable stuffs with the round leather. He is awesome.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Moses, Mikel To Miss Burkina Faso Friendly / Mouad Hajji Resigns As CAF Secretary General / Penalty Kick: Brighton Vs Manchester United 6-7 Semi Final FA Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.