Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby (5277 Views)

Elderly Nigerian Couple On A Romantic Date At A Park / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) / Doctor Explain How Black Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 21, 2010
Nigerian Couple Gives Birth to White Baby
By Paul Ohia with agency report, 07.21.2010

“I'm sure she's my kid - I just don't know why she's blonde." That was the stunned reaction of Ben Ihegboro, a British citizen of Nigerian origin, upon seeing his new daughter, Nmachi.

It may appear bizarre but it’s real. Ben, 44, and his 35-year-old wife, Angela, both of Igbo extraction and with dark skin, had brought to life a baby that is completely white in the United Kingdom.
Neither of them knew of any white ancestry in their family. Yet the couple is now proud parents of a blue-eyed, white-skinned girl with curly blonde hair.

Nmachi, whose name means "Beauty of God" in Igbo, is the third child born to the South London couple, joining sister Dumebi, two, and brother Chisom, four, both black.

Physicians at Queen Mary's Hospital in Sidcup, South London, where Angela gave birth, affirm that the child is not an albino.
The parents aren't the only ones surprised by the birth. Geneticists are also at a loss for explanation.
Head of Human Genetics at Oxford University, Bryan Sykes, called the birth "extraordinary".

He said: "In mixed race humans, the lighter variant of skin tone may come out in a child and this can sometimes be startlingly different to the skin of the parents."
But he noted that this phenomenon, where a recessive light-skin gene is passed on to a child of dark-skinned parents, is usually found only in societies where there is significant race mixing, like those of the Caribbean. "But in Nigeria, there is little mixing," he said.

Sykes said that there would have had to be some white ancestry, perhaps several generations back, to make this possible.
But the Ihegboros, who moved to Britain from Nigeria five years ago, say they know of no white ancestors in their families.

Sykes allowed that a strange mutation may explain the birth. "The rules of genetics are complex and we still don't understand what happens in many cases," he said.
The parents are puzzled but proud nonetheless.

Ben told The Sun of London that he was so shocked when he first saw the child that he jokingly asked, "Is she mine?"
"We both just sat there after the birth staring at her for ages - not saying anything," he said.
"Our boy keeps coming to look at his sister and sits down looking puzzled. We are a black family. Suddenly he has a white sister.
"But all that matters is that she is healthy and that we love her."

The event recalls a similarly astonishing birth five years ago in Britain, in which two mixed-race parents produced twin daughters - one white, one black. The odds of that happening, experts say, were one in a million. They were surely much higher than that for this birth.

According to a BBC article, there are three possible explanations for the birth of Nmachi - albinism, a genetic mutation or some dominant white genes that entered her parents' backgrounds some generations ago.
Doctors have already said that they do not believe Nmachi is an albino, but it is possible that both of her parents carried light skin genes and they mutated in the correct way to produce a light skinned baby.

However, her parents say they do not have any white ancestry in their backgrounds.
It is most likely to be a genetic mutation, which could cause more genetic mutations down the line.
More research will have to be done to find out if Nmachi has even a form of albinism that could be described as a genetic mutation, but for now she is healthy and happy and that is all her parents are concerned about.

Source: http://thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=178835
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 21, 2010
Pic of the couple and the baby

Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by rhymz(m): 7:15pm On Jul 21, 2010
It is only a woman that can tell who the true father of her child is. The man will in future ve to contend with the thoughts of whether he is the real father of that child.
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Horus(m): 7:31am On Jul 22, 2010
Who is the "white" father of the child?
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 22, 2010
Let's assume that the (black) man is not the father of the child and a white man is responsible, can we now believe that a pure black woman can give birth to a pure white baby?

If this story is true that this couple are actually the parents of this baby then, both blacks and whites are from one parents- Adam & Eve- as claimed by some religions, and their genes have been carried reccessively in all generations which is now manifesting in opposite race. If this is true, what race are Adam and Eve?
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by eddy1977(m): 3:57am On Jul 24, 2010
^^^ that was a vey good analysis. but the thing is that discovering Adam's race would change nothing in the world.
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Okijajuju1(m): 4:31am On Jul 24, 2010
koastar:

Let's assume that the (black) man is not the father of the child and a white man is responsible, can we now believe that a pure black woman can give birth to a pure white baby?

If this story is true that this couple are actually the parents of this baby then, both blacks and whites are from one parents- Adam & Eve- as claimed by some religions, and their genes have been carried reccessively in all generations which is now manifesting in opposite race. If this is true, what race are Adam and Eve?

As stupid as this sounds, I say wow!! I knew you religous fanatics would find a way to make this into an immaculate conception kind of miracle.

Nice one. You sell your theory to your pastor for good money.
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Vainglory: 9:39am On Jul 24, 2010
Better to wait for the DNA test results.
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Analissa(f): 5:15pm On Jul 26, 2010
koastar:

Actually, yes we can. Although rare it is possible for a mixed race child to take the qualities of one race alone.

I'd say if the dna results come out and he is truly the father then this is an interesting case and will probably lead to more discoveries in genetics.
If its a white guy, aint nothin special.
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by rhymz(m): 5:08am On Jul 27, 2010
Adam and Eve my buttz. What has that got to do with anything? Scheeew! Nigerians and irreparable tendency to explain everything in shades of religion.
As far as I am concerned, that woman has not given us and her husband the full gist of her "immaculate conception" coz as far as science goes, what happened to her is remotely and impossible. She has got no white genes ancestory, so where the heck did she concieve of a white baby that only looks like her but looks nothing like her supposed Dad. Yeah yeah, the man might want to save face and just claim to be cool with the stuff, you know the PR shiit but he can't deny he has doubts or wont later in future want to ask questions or even ask for her DNA. Well, time they say, clears all doubts.
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 28, 2010
eddy1977:

^^^ that was a vey good analysis. but the thing is that discovering Adam's race would change nothing in the world.
It will help to determine the origin of races and to know if all men comes from Adam & Eve.

Okija_juju:

As silly as this sounds, I say wow!! I knew you religous fanatics would find a way to make this into an immaculate conception kind of miracle.

Nice one. You sell your theory to your pastor for good money.

This really shows that you are mu.mu2. For your info, i'm not a religious fanatic, i'm only interested in finding a proof to the history in the bible

rhymz:

Adam and Eve my buttz. What has that got to do with anything? Scheeew! Nigerians and irreparable tendency to explain everything in shades of religion.
As far as I am concerned, that woman has not given us and her husband the full gist of her "immaculate conception" coz as far as science goes, what happened to her is remotely and impossible. She has got no white genes ancestory, so where the heck did she concieve of a white baby that only looks like her but looks nothing like her supposed Dad. Yeah yeah, the man might want to save face and just claim to be cool with the stuff, you know the PR shiit but he can't deny he has doubts or wont later in future want to ask questions or even ask for her DNA. Well, time they say, clears all doubts.
Science has proven that everyone carries a recessive gene of other race in his/her cells
Analissa:

Actually, yes we can. Although rare it is possible for a mixed race child to take the qualities of one race alone.

I'd say if the dna results come out and he is truly the father then this is an interesting case and will probably lead to more discoveries in genetics.
If its a white guy, aint nothin special.
The DNA test will not bring out anything different because the baby is purely white not coloured (half cast) from a pure black woman undecided
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Abagworo(m): 2:50am On Jul 29, 2010
koastar:

It will help to determine the origin of races and to know if all men comes from Adam & Eve.

This really shows that you are mu.mu2. For your info, i'm not a religious fanatic, i'm only interested in finding a proof to the history in the bible
Science has proven that everyone carries a recessive gene of other race in his/her cellsThe DNA test will not bring out anything different because the baby is purely white not coloured (half cast) from a pure black woman undecided

some igbos are white.if this were not a public forum,i would have posted the pix of a girl with pure black parents that has light brown hair and whiter skin than the lebanese in the background.
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Analissa(f): 10:03am On Jul 29, 2010
koastar:

The DNA test will not bring out anything different because the baby is purely white not coloured (half cast) from a pure black woman undecided

The baby doesnt have to be "coloured" to be mixed race. If the white parent is blonde or redhaired and has light colored eyes the baby is more likely to look white than black as these are recessive genes. The only thing is that there is now more chance that the brothers/sisters will be dark. It's really not as impossible as people would like to believe. Especially given the blonde hair of the child.
As i said before, it would only be interesting if both parents are fully black.
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by tpiah: 3:10pm On Jul 29, 2010
Abagworo:

some igbos are white.if this were not a public forum,i would have posted the pix of a girl with pure black parents that has light brown hair and whiter skin than the lebanese in the background.

hair extensions have worked miracles in nigera.
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 29, 2010
Abagworo:

Pls, post the pix it's allowed

tpiah:

hair extensions have worked miracles in nigera.

What do you mean by this?
Re: Nigerian Couple Gives Birth To White Baby by Abagworo(m): 9:02pm On Jul 29, 2010
koastar:

Pls, post the pix it's allowed

she does not want me to.

(1) (Reply)

Is There A Limit To Making Love To One's Wife? / Place Your Kids Ahead Technologically. This Tablet Has Over 100 Educational Apps / The Selfie That Broke The Internet! Spot The Fail.(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.