Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,325 members, 7,780,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:51 PM

Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby (16204 Views)

Elderly Nigerian Couple On A Romantic Date At A Park / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) / Doctor Explain How Black Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by shadrach77: 11:20pm On Jul 22, 2010
Author: Date: Jul 22nd, 2010. | Category: News, Today's Headlines. | Follow comments: RSS 2.0. | You can leave a response below. |

•The white toddler, Emmanuel, poses with the family.

Two days after the amazing birth last Sunday of a white baby to a Nigerian couple in England, another Nigerian couple has emerged in the same country with the incredible story of giving birth to a white child, the SUN newspaper of Londonreported today.

The Nigerian couple Ethelbert and Nkemakonam Ofor, both black and who live in Middlesborough said they had their child, fair-haired, green-eyed Emmanuel in February 2007.

According to the SUN, Emmanuel’s mum is still baffled by the colour of the three-year old child and is still in search of an explanation ‘for the genetic mix-up.’

The same Sun newspaper published last Tuesday the birth of blonde, blue-eyed Nmachi to Ben and Angela Ihegboro, who believe they have no white ancestry. Now, the Ihegboros said the baby girl will undergo full genetic tests after doctors said the odds of her white colouring were “between many millions to one and a million to one.”

The new revelation, Emmanuel – whose two sisters, Afoma, six, and six-month-old Whitney are both black – is also beginning to wonder why he looks different.

Dad Ethelbert, 43, said yesterday: “It is something genetic but we don’t know what.

“Emmanuel has got to the age where he is questioning why he is white and his sisters are black. We have to tell him that we just don’t know the answer.”

Mum Nkemakonam, 34, said nurses gathered round in amazement when she gave birth to Emmanuel in February 2007.

She revealed: “I was shocked as well – but not as much as everyone else.

“I have a distant cousin back home in Africa who had been born white to black parents as well, so I knew it could happen.”

Neither five-day-old Nmachi, of Woolwich, South London, nor Emmanuel, who lives n Middlesbrough, are albino.

Ethelbert, a psychiatric nurse originally from Nigeria, said of his son’s birth:

“I think the medical staff were concerned about how I would react. They didn’t warn me about his colour, and when I saw him for the first time they were looking very closely at my expression.

“They then asked me if I was happy and I told told them, ‘Of course I’m happy’.”

Like his wife, Ethelbert also has a distant relative in Africa born white to black parents.

He admits that some cruel people have urged him to get a DNA paternity test.

But he said: “There is no need. I know he is my son.”

But Ben and Angela Ihegboro have agreed to let geneticists study their daughter Nmachi born on Sunday, to find out whether the couple has a link to caucasian ancestry.

Geneticist Dr Mark Thomas, of University College, London, said the odds of the baby’s white colouring were “between many millions to one and a million to one”.

He said: “I suspect there’s been a mixture of a mutation, like albinism, combined with a dormant white gene.”

Professor Bryan Sykes, head of Human Genetics at Oxford University and Britain’s leading expert,

said: “In mixed race humans, the lighter variant of skin tone may come out in a child – and this can sometimes be startlingly different to the skin of the parents. This might be the case where there is a lot of genetic mixing, as in Afro-Caribbean populations. But in Nigeria there is little mixing.”

“The hair is extremely unusual. Even many blonde children don’t have blonde hair like this at birth.”

A Nigerian doctor based in California, United States of America said he was not surprised by such births.

In an e-mail sent to one of the senior editors of P.M. NEWS, Dr. Olufemi Ogundipe said the birth “may not be a miracle and neither of the couple need ‘have strayed’ or ‘have fallen off’ the wagon’.

“What is needed to prove what could have happened is the genome analyses of the child, and each of the parents.

“World-renowned medical geneticist and current NIH director, Francis S.Collins in his most recent book, The Language of Life . DNA and the Revolution In Personalized Medicine gave an account of an American man who looked black and suffered all the usual indignities suffered by a black man in his community turned out after genomic analysis to have no black ancestry.

“Furthermore, the story about 2-3 years ago when American John D, Watson (co-winner with British Francis Crick of Medicine Nobel Prize for their work on the double helix structure of DNA) created a firestorm when he pontificated on the inferiority of black people. To his own chagrin, his own genome analysis done some 3 weeks later showed that genetically he was a black man. Some food for thought there! The landmark human genome analysis will in addition to advancing the frontiers of Medicine will unearth many inconvenient truths about race. Welcome to the 21st century.”

Share this news: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by shadrach77: 11:25pm On Jul 22, 2010
the couple

Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by dominique(f): 11:32pm On Jul 22, 2010
the kid is already 3, so is this just making news? the boy looks more like an albino IMO. the parents must have albinism in their genes.
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by Travelista(f): 11:50pm On Jul 22, 2010
So, is it safe to say we no longer know the difference between 'light-skinned' and 'White'? This couple is pathetic; trying to get their own 15 minutes of shine. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by Nobody: 1:08am On Jul 23, 2010
^^^^^exactly.
this one is mix-race at best, hubby better go and do a quick DNA test. nothing remotely comparable with that blue eyed blond little girl.
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by Nobody: 1:13am On Jul 23, 2010
Travelista:

So, is it safe to say we no longer know the difference between 'light-skinned' and 'White'? This couple is pathetic; trying to get their own 15 minutes of shine. undecided
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by denzel2009: 1:51am On Jul 23, 2010
When did white people start having semi-rasta hair?
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by tpiah: 4:34am On Jul 23, 2010
the boy is very handsome, and if he gets a little darker, will be a girl magnet when he's older.

black females usually fall all over themselves to date this type of black male.

tan, with greenish,hazel eyes.

what more does your average black lady ask for.

save those chocolate-men loving ones of course.

abi na chocolatophil.

but true sha- he's almost full albino. I think the dad has more of the gene than the mum though.
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by eghenedji: 4:42am On Jul 23, 2010
I am presently an undergraduate (Computer Science) with utmost and extensive computer expertise. Proficiently, I have secured a three-year experience in two companies in official position of secretary. Companies of which include – Dangote Agro sacks (Sec./PA to GM & HR/Manager) and KRS Investment Limited (Sec. to GM). Currently, am jobless; I need a job to finance my education, accommodation and other needs. Am currently residing in Lagos. Attached hereunder, is my CV for your perusal. Thanking you in anticipation. (I can be reached on 07067046145 and or wilfred_k234@yahoo.com).

Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 23, 2010
eghenedji:

I am presently an undergraduate (Computer Science) with utmost and extensive computer expertise. Proficiently, I have secured a three-year experience in two companies in official position of secretary. Companies of which include – Dangote Agro sacks (Sec./PA to GM & HR/Manager) and KRS Investment Limited (Sec. to GM). Currently, am jobless; I need a job to finance my education, accommodation and other needs. Am currently residing in Lagos. Attached hereunder, is my CV for your perusal. Thanking you in anticipation. (I can be reached on 07067046145 and or wilfred_k234@yahoo.com).

And you feel this post belongs here?

How you managed to wangle yourself into any uni beats me.
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by shadrach77: 10:18am On Jul 23, 2010
Siena:

Siena:

this is sooooo funny! grin grin grin
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by luap: 8:39pm On Jul 23, 2010
I do not think Nigerians are as pure as they would like to think.

The milk man has visited your granny back in her sxy days.
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by luap: 8:43pm On Jul 23, 2010
I do not think Nigerians are as pure as they would like to think.

The milk man has visited your granny back in her sxy days.
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by adetoru(f): 10:32pm On Jul 23, 2010
The real couple with their white baby,my hubby will demand like 20 DNA tests in 20 diff countries

Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by Meristem: 12:23pm On Oct 10, 2012
De oyibo wey do dis thing eh...e no go beta for am
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by EfemenaXY: 12:35pm On Oct 10, 2012
^^ lol! Lol!! LOL!!!

What do you mean?? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by emilyone(f): 12:46pm On Oct 10, 2012
Meristem: De oyibo wey do dis thing eh...e no go beta for am
hehehe ewo n tepe grin grin
Re: Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby by mskata(m): 2:30pm On Oct 10, 2012
Doubting this 2nd pix undecided

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Men Find It Difficult To Ask Their Women For Money When They Are Broke?� / How Do I Cope With The Loss Of My Sister? / How Do You Handle Rumors About Yourself? Share Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.