Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:15 AM

How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. (33270 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Major Differences Between Windows 7 And Windows 8 / Xp And Vista, Which One Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by vincey(m): 4:39pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hi gurus in the house, plss help me out here.

I am finding it dificult logging into my CISCO ROUTER using windows vista and windows7, what do I do?

Where can I find communication --->> hyper terminal --->> and so on.

I know its easy with windows XP, but vista and 7 is a proble.

Thanks so much.
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by afrobaby(f): 4:52pm On Jul 23, 2010
To access ur router using vista, u will need to telnet into the router. Note, u can only telnet into the router if uve already set a password for the vty.
To telnet, go to ur command prompt, and type telnet ip address, if u dont know the ip address, first type ipconfig, it will give you the router ip address which is ur default gateway, once u have this, telnet ip address e.g telnet 192.168.0.1 and it will prompt u for the pasword
Done
I dont know of window 7 cos av not used it before
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by Spyker: 5:05pm On Jul 23, 2010
Just google it. I know of Securecrt.
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by lovelybobo: 9:38pm On Jul 24, 2010
download teraterm or putty. please google for it and its free.
there is no hyperterminal on vista or window 7 by default.
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by vincey(m): 9:57am On Jul 26, 2010
Just google it. I know of Securecrt.

Thanks to you all, I appreciate all your support, I googled it and i finally have a solution.

Now, i can access my CISCO and CONAX servers directly using the consol cable.

Once again 10nx for your support.
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by skbello: 8:15pm On Sep 20, 2010
hello nairaland, plz i need someone to help me with practical in networking, how to configure router. everything about networking plzzzzzzzzzz
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by realvenc: 1:08pm On Nov 03, 2011
We have a Networking Project in PH and we need a professional who can network and configure these devices in an Office

WS-C2960-24TC-L Catalyst 2960 24 10/100 + 2T/SFP LAN Base Image 1

CISCO2911/K9 Cisco 2911 w/3 GE,4 EHWIC,2 DSP,1 SM,256MB CF,512MB DRAM,IPB 1

SF 100D-08 Cisco Small Business 8-Port 10/100 Desktop Switch with Qos 1

An ISP Radio Equipment

22 work station Points

One central Printer

Pls can some1 confirm if the three cisco devices are compatible on a network

Pls if you are interested reach me ASAP 08067813695
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by Fulaman198(m): 6:57am On Oct 15, 2014
In order to configure a Cisco Router or Switch remotely on a Windows computer, first and foremost I would avoid using Telnet at all costs. As you know everything on TCP port 23 is sent in plain text. I would use SSH or TCP port 22 because the session is encrypted. Anyone can view Telnet logs with a packet sniffer so be careful. Secondly, Command Prompt does not have Telnet natively. You have to use a 3rd party application like PuTTY in order to utilise Telnet or SSH. I hope this helps. Have a great day!
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by Oxone(m): 10:50am On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:
In order to configure a Cisco Router or Switch remotely on a Windows computer, first and foremost I would avoid using Telnet at all costs. As you know everything on TCP port 23 is sent in plain text. I would use SSH or TCP port 22 because the session is encrypted. Anyone can view Telnet logs with a packet sniffer so be careful. Secondly, Command Prompt does not have Telnet natively. You have to use a 3rd party application like PuTTY in order to utilise Telnet or SSH. I hope this helps. Have a great day!

It does actually but its disabled by default on all OS after Windows XP for security reasons but can be enabled it if you want to. Other Terminal apps are Secure CRT (best cos of tabs), TeraTerm & Putty
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by shellliver: 8:03pm On Oct 16, 2014
You can get a copy of hyperterminal from windows xp or google it.
you can also make use of putty , teraterm as stated above.

Regards.
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by Fulaman198(m): 9:27pm On Oct 16, 2014
Oxone:

It does actually but its disabled by default on all OS after Windows XP for security reasons but can be enabled it if you want to. Other Terminal apps are Secure CRT (best cos of tabs), TeraTerm & Putty

As aforementioned I use PuTTY, it's what I have always used. I have heard good things about TeraTerm too, but I've always use PuTTY.
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by Oxone(m): 9:49pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

As aforementioned I use PuTTY, it's what I have always used. I have heard good things about TeraTerm too, but I've always use PuTTY.

Try SecureCRT & you won't go back to putty. D only draw back is that it's a paid app but it's worth every penny especially if u usually login to multiple devices simultaneously cos it arranges all your sessions in different tabs all on one window but i won't advice it if u're preparing for CCIE cos you might just get use to having everything that easy smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by Fulaman198(m): 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2014
Oxone:

Try SecureCRT & you won't go back to putty. D only draw back is that it's a paid app but it's worth every penny especially if u usually login to multiple devices simultaneously cos it arranges all your sessions in different tabs all on one window but i won't advice it if u're preparing for CCIE cos you might just get use to having everything that easy smiley

I appreciate it bro. I will definitely give it a try. What special quirks does it have that puts it above PuTTY?
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by Oxone(m): 10:50pm On Oct 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

I appreciate it bro. I will definitely give it a try. What special quirks does it have that puts it above PuTTY?

Inbuilt trip server, file transfer over network, complete control over colour, fonts and all. Just go to their site & find all the features. Here's the link

http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/

If u're interested, I could send u the full app tomorrow. I know I have it somewhere

1 Like

Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by Fulaman198(m): 1:01am On Oct 17, 2014
Oxone:

Inbuilt trip server, file transfer over network, complete control over colour, fonts and all. Just go to their site & find all the features. Here's the link

http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/

If u're interested, I could send u the full app tomorrow. I know I have it somewhere

Thanks bro, I appreciate it. I have to go to sleep now, it has been a long day. Good night.
Re: How To Connect To A Cisco Router Using Windows 7 And Vista. by babytejiri(m): 12:47am On Jan 27, 2015
To connect to the Cisco switch, use a rolled Ethernet cable to connect a host to a switch console serial communication port. Once you have the correct cable connected from your PC to the Cisco switch, you can start HyperTerminal to create a console connection and configure the device as follows:

1. Open HyperTerminal by clicking on start button and then All programs, then Accessories, then Communication, then click on HyperTerminal. Enter a name for the connection. It is irrelevant what you name it. Then click OK.

2. Choose the communication port either COM1 or COM2, whichever is open on your PC.

3. Now at the port settings. The default values (2400bps and no flow control hardware) will not work, you must set the port settings as shown in the figure below.

Notice that the bit rate is set to 9600 and the flow control is set to none. At this point click OK and press the Enter key, and you should be connected to your Cisco switch console port.

Here's the 2950 switch's initial output:

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [Yes/no]: no

Press RETURN to get started!

00:04:53: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan1, changed state to administratively down

00:04:54: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to down
Switch>

THE CONFIGURATION

The switch> prompt is called the user exec mode and it's mostly used to view statistics. You can only view and change configuration of a Cisco switch in privileged exec mode which you get into with the enable command.

Switch>

Switch> enable

Switch#

Switch# disable

Switch>

The global configuration mode can be entered from the privileged mode by using the configure terminal command or config t for short.
Switch# config t
Enter the configuration commands, one per line, End with CNTL/Z.
Switch(config)# hostname zenith
Zenith(config)#

The hostname command is used in naming the switch. The hostname of a switch is only locally significant but it's still helpful to set a hostname on a switch so that you can identify the switch when connecting to it.
http://www..com/receiving-file-hyperterminal/

(1) (Reply)

Cyber Cafes With thin Client Technology In Operation. / My Laptop Was Drenched In Water While I Was Walking In The Heavy Rain Yesterday / Full Meanings Of Some Virtual Networking Systems You May Not Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.