Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors (10882 Views)

Foreign Actors Of Nigerian Descent / Ghana Slams $1,000 Fee On Nigerian Actors / Ghana Slams $1,000 Fee On Nigerian Actors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by AloyEmeka8: 6:06pm On Jul 25, 2010
[size=14pt]Nollywood slams N250,000 clearance fee on foreign actors[/size]
Home Video PeopleJul 23, 2010

The recent decision by the authorities of the Ghanaian movie industry to compel Nigerian actors who are plying their trade in Ghana to pay the huge sum of $1000 for every movie role or risk losing the job in that country may have incurred the wrath of their Nigerian counterparts who have risen to the occasion by returning fire-for-fire.
In a direct reaction to that ugly development, heads of Guilds of the Nigerian motion picture industry under the aegis of Coalition of Nollywood Guilds and Association(CONGA) last Tuesday rolled out stringent measures for foreign actors working in Nigeria.
The coalition said, the new guidelines are put in place to protect the Nigerian movie industry as well as regulate the activities of foreign practitioners in the country.

Members of the Coalition of Nollywood guilds and Association, strategising

Speaking during the presentation of the guidelines to the movie journalists last Tuesday in Lagos, Mr. Bond Emeruwa, who represented the coalition explained that the new guidelines are not put in place to discourage foreign participation in the Nigerian motion picture industry, rather, the idea is based on the need to regulate the industry.
By these new guidelines, Emeruwa who is the president of the Directors Guild of Nigeria said, any foreign actors or producers wishing to work on a project in the country would be required not only to obtain clearance from the Interpol in his or her country of origin attesting to his or her status, but importantly, he or she must apply as a matter of fact for and obtain a written permission from the Nigerian film corporation.

Also, the coalition expects the prospective practitioner to apply for, and obtain a written approval from the coalition of Nollywood Guilds and Association through the appropriate guild or association that best represents the film practitioners’ area of practice.
The coalition argued that given the conducive atmosphere which the industry provides for the foreign practitioners, there is imperative need for them to contribute financially to the growth of the same industry.
“Any foreign actor participating in any of Nollywood productions will be compelled to pay the sum of $2,500, while any producer or director working on a production in the country will pay the sum of $2,500 . Others include screen writer($2,500), production company($10,000), creative designer($2,000), production manager($1,500) and Assistant Director($1,500) amongst others.” he listed.

On distribution, according to Emeruwa, “the coalition wants the National Film and Video Censors Board(NFVCB) to ensure that any foreign film seeking to be distributed in the country is censored in addition to having such film registered with the film and video producers as well as the marketing association of Nigeria with the following;
*A none refundable fee of $10,000
*A censorship certificate from the country of origin
*A copyright certificate from the country of origin and from the Nigerian Copyright Commission.

However, noting that the new guidelines were put in place as a further effort to protect and inculcate laudable ethics in the nation’s film industry, the coalition remarked that any local film producer who parade one or more foreign artistes in his or her film will be treated as a foreign film at the point of distribution except, a situation where a proof of having satisfied the conditions as stipulated above is demonstrated.
According to the coalition chairman,”it is time to begin to protect the Nigerian film industry with a view to enable it grow bigger and better as well as increase its capacity to assist other emerging film industries all over the world. Having given a voice to the black race and sempowering the struggling film makers of Africa how to express themselves using the tube.”

Speaking in the same vein, Paul Obazele, president, Association of Movie Producers (AMP), said the coalition is working in conjunction with the Interpol and security agencies in the country to ensure that the new guidelines are enforced without hindrance.
Meanwhile, reacting to this development, Director-General of the Nigerian Film Corporation, Mr Afolabi Adesanya, when contacted distanced his establishment from the new policy, saying “they are on their own.”
However, while the new guidelines are a welcome development to the industry, observed have expressed reservation over a possible clash of interest coupled with disagreement with the regulatory bodies.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/07/23/nollywood-slams-n250000-clearance-fee-on-foreign-actors/
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Tudor6(f): 8:59pm On Jul 25, 2010
How much do actors in nollywood earn per movie that they expect one to cough up $2,500 per film? How is that even realistic?
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by AloyEmeka8: 5:24am On Jul 26, 2010
Tudór:

How much do actors in nollywood earn per movie that they expect one to cough up $2,500 per film? How is that even realistic?

Ghollywood started it and Nollywood put the law in place just to spite Ghananians. This law is aimed at nobody but Ghananians and they stand to lose because they have more actors from Ghana who work in Nigeria than vice versa.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 26, 2010
the battle just begins grin grin
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by damola1: 2:21pm On Jul 26, 2010
i love this. We don't need thier money, we don't need their market, we are the biggest and need to start using it wisely.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by baslone: 2:24pm On Jul 26, 2010
Better!!!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by agabaI23(m): 2:26pm On Jul 26, 2010
I think Nigerian would stand to benefit more if their was no fee.
It is always good to see competition and something different.

I know some guys who are afraid of losing out to majid and co would have seen the Ghana's impunity as an opportunity to scare Ghanaians away.

N250000 will only mean much if it will be paid per movie otherwise, it is nothing if it just a one off pay compared to what the big guys earn.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Pappij: 2:29pm On Jul 26, 2010
Stupid Ghollywood people. Dem dey call meat, kpomo sef dey raise hand.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by monkeyleg: 2:29pm On Jul 26, 2010
Nice. About time we stand up for what is right
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by damola1: 2:29pm On Jul 26, 2010
agabaI23:

I think Nigerian would stand to benefit more if their was no fee.
It is always good to see competition and something different.

I know some guys who are afraid of losing out to majid and co would have seen the Ghana's impunity as an opportunity to scare Ghanaians away.

N250000 will only mean much if it will be paid per movie otherwise, it is nothing if it just a one off pay compared to what the big guys earn.

Money's value is dependent on what it takes, overall, they'll all add it to their service charges, but point of emphasis is, it's wrong for ghanians to think they can just behave anyhow, just because we have decided to improve their movie industry.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Chongaiman: 2:35pm On Jul 26, 2010
Tudór:

It's as if you are not aware of the intrigues and manipulations going on between Ghollywood and Nollywood. I used to think of Ghanaians as our closest African brothers. The Glo and Ghollywood saga serve to remind us that we are on our own. This action by Nollywood does not make me feel good either but Ghollywood should remember the proverb about the possibility of a stone thrown in the market, to fall on a relative of the thrower.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by MeGaStReEt: 2:36pm On Jul 26, 2010
way to go
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by ijora: 2:38pm On Jul 26, 2010
no be just to MAD na to trek the trek! i really think is about time, i sure hope they mean it and the charges should be par movies
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by vislabraye(m): 2:41pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ghanians always spite Nigerians, i don't know why. I've noticed in other aspects like football, they want to compete with Nigeria. Its a shame on their part. The issue of paying fees for movies shot in their land is an example of this. Nollywood is far bigger than their industry and we must hold our head high. Our market is bigger than theirs, they can't hold us to ransom.

All the movie producers should come together and ban Ghanian actors from featuring in their movies.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 26, 2010
Now Iam very happy Nollywood is implementing this law.have been waiting 4 this. Who born ghallywood.they are underdogs.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by 5p1naz(m): 2:49pm On Jul 26, 2010
thats just about it, the pay shuda been higher tho. . . . .
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by ayo84(m): 2:55pm On Jul 26, 2010
wonders why Ghanian's hate us so much,its pathetic
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by abhosts(m): 2:56pm On Jul 26, 2010
I view this as a Very Childish Response. Even if Nigeria Stands still for a hundred years (God Forbid), Ghana will still not catch up with Nigeria. Nollywood should have just ignored their Paranoia.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 26, 2010
I'm not sure why you guys think the actor or actress would be responsible for whatever clearance fee is due.

If a producer, script writer or director feels a foreigner is capable of doing a job then it is up to them to pay that charge not the foreign act. These decisions i believe have been set in place to encourage and improve local talents.

Unless it is set on stone that a mediocre Nadia Buari can do a better Job than the teeming but equally mediocre actresses in Naija then i don't see any beef here.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by agitator: 3:06pm On Jul 26, 2010
protectionism doesn't always pay.  but it $2,500 = N250,000?
$1 = N100 this is good news
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by tkb417(m): 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2010
they shd take it a step further

DSTV and other cable channels should not bean any movie from Ghollywood to Nigeria
All Ghollywood movies should not be sold in Nigeria

Nollywood is big enough to survive without the Ghanaians, lets see if they can do without our money
i see death for Ghollwood or fcever its called
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by agabaI23(m): 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2010
abhosts:

I view this as a Very Childish Response. Even if Nigeria Stands still for a hundred years (God Forbid), Ghana will still not catch up with Nigeria. Nollywood should have just ignored their Paranoia.
I agree the highlighted
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by tkb417(m): 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2010
agitator:

protectionism doesn't always pay.  but it $2,500 = N250,000?
$1 = N100 this is good news
Only a Nigerian would say this
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by cold(m): 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2010
abhosts:

I view this as a Very[b] Childish Response[/b]. Even if Nigeria Stands still for a hundred years (God Forbid), Ghana will still not catch up with Nigeria. Nollywood should have just ignored their Paranoia.
How so?Even in diplomatic circles that's the way it works.'You kick one of ours out,we kick one of yours out'.Simple straightforward 1 for 1.The Gollywooders should have thought about the implications of their actions considering they are like the ant threatening to take on an elephant.
I don't understand why these guyz think we're always out to run them outta bizness,smh.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by tkb417(m): 3:11pm On Jul 26, 2010
abhosts:

beer parlour talk
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by ayo84(m): 3:15pm On Jul 26, 2010
I view this as a Very Childish Response. Even if Nigeria Stands still for a hundred years (God Forbid), Ghana will still not catch up with Nigeria. Nollywood should have just ignored their Paranoia

Truth is that ghana movies are far better than our rushed,low budget,half baked movies,lets face it.
Nigerian movies are produced like pure water,daily,no fantastic scripts,story lines,and they keep using the same people.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by agabaI23(m): 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2010
I am playing the devils advocate here:

I am not sure how happy you guys were when Zain started retrenching Nigerian employees only to hire their brothers from India.

I am not sure how happy you feel when Nigerians are maltreated by the so called expats.

We complain that all these go while the govt look the other way. We jubilated when the local content mirage was signed.

I think Ghana is trying to avoid all these in their country in order to protect her citizen.

What I however do not understand is the perceived singling out of Nigeria and her citizens for hash laws.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by agabaI23(m): 3:20pm On Jul 26, 2010
ayo84:

T[b]ruth is that ghana movies are far better than our rushed,low budget,half baked movies,lets face it.[/b]
Nigerian movies are produced like pure water,daily,no fantastic scripts,story lines,and they keep using the same people.

Looks like you had some bottles of shine shine bobo with your lunch otherwise you would not even dare say that grin grin.
Ghanaian movies are improving in quality but you cannot make a such sweeping statement.

read this
http://news.myjoyonline.com/entertainment/201006/48231.asp

Even though he is more Nigerian than Ghanaian, there is much sense in what he said.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by dayokanu(m): 3:22pm On Jul 26, 2010
Protectionism doesnt pay? Why did the US govt spend loads of money bailing out Banks, WHy did they bail out auto companies in Detroit?

Nollywood employs mainly Nigerians and Ghollywood employs mainly Ghanaian. So since we have the market, we hold the ace here
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by agitator: 3:26pm On Jul 26, 2010
@tkb417

I said doesn't always pay. do you know if I was referring to ghollywood?
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Skirtel: 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2010
The action of the ghanian government + that of nollyhood are both in the right direction. It is good for the industry. May be it's time the actors/actresses begin to increase their fee.

Put not your trust in money, but put your money in trust. http:///c9u6Zy
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by tkb417(m): 3:40pm On Jul 26, 2010
agitator:

@tkb417

I said doesn't always pay. do you know if I was referring to ghollywood?
protectionism is an economic principle usually to engender growth of home grown coys in the face of stiff competition from MNCs ( DSTV vs HiTV grin grin grin)

your statement should read, protectionism sometimes do not pay

it reads better like that

Im sure you have done your Msc abroad, did you pay the same fees as the locals?
nah!!!

Home grown coys should be protected always

as for Ghana and 9ja movie industries- Lets see who comes out unscathed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Please Do Anyone Has REGINA DANIELS Contact,i Would Like To Propose To Her Now.. / Nn 24 (new 24hours News Channel) / Martin TV Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.