Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,914 members, 7,806,656 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me (5849 Views)

Photos: How To Calculate Fuel Consumption / Help, My Eod Is Delays In Changing Gear / My Eod 04 Gear Is Misbehaving After Servicing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by igbsam(m): 10:19pm On Jul 25, 2010
I'm having problems with the way my V6 EOD consumes fuel. A fuel of 2000 will only last me for A day and half. How can I manage this, someone pls rescue me. This is getting out of hand.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by bigfather(m): 11:40pm On Jul 25, 2010
igbsam:

I'm having problems with the way my V6 EOD consumes fuel. A fuel of 2000 will only last me for A day and half. How can I manage this, someone pls rescue me. This is getting out of hand.

30 liters for one day ? shocked and am sure that depends on the distance you cover.
Ol'boy ! I nor envy your EOD at all.
TOYOTA for life !
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by denitro(m): 12:06am On Jul 26, 2010
Tips:
• It takes more fuel to restart the engine than let it idle: This was true when inefficient carburetors metered fuel use, but modern fuel injection means that you save fuel by turning the engine off. But don't shut the engine off at every stoplight or when you're waiting in line. That can wear out your starter and slow other drivers, irritating them and leading to wasted fuel in every vehicle.

• Vehicles need to warm up before you drive: Electronic engine controls mean a modern vehicle is running at or near maximum efficiency as soon as you start it. Warming up the car for a few minutes just wastes fuel.

• Fuel consumption increases significantly over about 90 km/h. At 110 km/h your car uses up to 25 per cent more fuel than it would cruising at 90 km/h. If your car is fitted with cruise control, using it during highway driving will help to maintain a steadier speed, which will save fuel.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by sultaan(m): 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2010
Your check engine light is on, pull he code and post it.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Dubino(m): 1:43am On Aug 01, 2010
There's no magic in there. V6 engine consumes V6 gas while 4 Cyl consumes 4 Cyl gas. If you keep your car mechanically sound,it will give you it's maximum gas efficient. One correction about what you said,you can't measure fuel efficiency by days,you measure by mileage or kilometer.
Meanwhile,you can look up your car's gas efficiency in the manual and compare it with what you it actually gives you to make sure you're not worrying yourself for nothing. One bad fueling habit is when people allow their gas tank to go down to almost empty before they fill up. If you drive a car with less than 1/4 gas in the tank,the possibility that dirts from the tank will get into the fuel system will be high and that affects the car's performance.
I said it in my advice to somebody before,if you're so gas conscious,4 cyl cars is your best option 'cos no matter how fuel efficient a V6 car is,it can't measure up with a 4 Cyl car.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Dubino(m): 2:45am On Aug 01, 2010
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by kuntash: 6:28am On Aug 01, 2010
@ poster, check on answers to this questions.

1 - Do u buy petrol from a particular filling station?, if yes, try somewhere else

2- Do u reset your mileage meter whenever you buy fuel or change oil?, if no, learn to do that and revert back on the actual mileage traveled with N2000 petrol.

3- Do you have check engine light "ON" on your display dash, if yes, go for scan and lets have the jist.

NB: Some taxi and bus drivers don't consume that much in a day, so its something to really worry about.

My Camry although 4-cylinder gives me almost 6km for every liter of fuel on city and far more on highways.

something must be wrong somewhere,
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Denn(m): 7:44am On Aug 01, 2010
denitro:

Tips:
• It takes more fuel to restart the engine than let it idle: This was true when inefficient carburetors metered fuel use, but modern fuel injection means that you save fuel by turning the engine off. But don't shut the engine off at every stoplight or when you're waiting in line. That can wear out your starter and slow other drivers, irritating them and leading to wasted fuel in every vehicle.

• Vehicles need to warm up before you drive: Electronic engine controls mean a modern vehicle is running at or near maximum efficiency as soon as you start it. Warming up the car for a few minutes just wastes fuel.

• Fuel consumption increases significantly over about 90 km/h. At 110 km/h your car uses up to 25 per cent more fuel than it would cruising at 90 km/h. If your car is fitted with cruise control, using it during highway driving will help to maintain a steadier speed, which will save fuel.

my own opinion, if you are concerned about reducing fuel consumption by a drive off immediately after starting, what about engine life maximization most engine wear occurs when the engine is cold and the oil has not reached optimum temperature,

one of the reasons why engines are required to warm up is because the engine oil is too thick at start up, 'a little melting' is therefore required. if you work your horse immediately after starting in the morning, chances are that the metals are just grinding thmselves off, dont kill your engine

just my own opininon wink
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by chelseabmw(m): 12:21pm On Aug 01, 2010
@Poster
Toyota all the way!
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 01, 2010
My Audi A4 3,0 V6 Quattro does 372 miles to a full tank (66 litres).
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by igbsam(m): 5:28pm On Aug 01, 2010
@Y'all: 1st of all, I had a problem during the raining season when I drove my car into a ditch with water, it affected the kick which i changed and ever since then, the Engine Check lite has been on. 2ndly, d distance I cover everyday is like from Yaba to VI everyday with ma AC. Also, I don't reset the Milieage meter and I only change my oil during the service of my car every 3months. When I bought this car tokumbo, it wasn't consuming fuel dis much, but ever since I Changed my Kick, it became a nightmare for me.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by sultaan(m): 10:59pm On Aug 01, 2010
Does anyone know what a kick is?
I'm stumped on that one grin
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Nobody: 12:51am On Aug 02, 2010
sultaan:

Does anyone know what a kick is?
I'm stumped on that one grin

LMAO! grin

Starter motor, I'd presume.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by sultaan(m): 3:34am On Aug 02, 2010
Siena:

LMAO! grin

Starter motor, I'd presume.

Now are we talking about a car or motorcycle?
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by kuntash: 7:31am On Aug 02, 2010
Siena:

My Audi A4 3,0 V6 Quattro does 372 miles to a full tank (66 litres).

Siena, I doubt if you can achieve that in Naija,  Lagos to be precise, on highway, maybe yes, cos I do 200 miles with less than 28 litres on highway with a 98 camry. not v6.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 02, 2010
Kuntash, those figures are in city traffic, on my daily commute to work and back. There was no motorway mileage involved. There's a popular misconception, that a V6 will return worse MPG than an I4, and it's not true. It all depends on the engine output (more hp and torque means the engine's less stressed in a heavy car, and has better cruising ability) driving style, design of cylinder head ports, transmission losses (greater in an automatic) health of engine and so many other variables. Ask BMW 5 series (E34) owners, and they'll tell you the 518i (1,8L I4) was thirstier than the 523i (2,3L I6). Which is why BMW withdrew the 518i for the 1996 model year, and never re-introduced it for the E39 onwards.

Another reason people should drop the "automatic tranny" option. Yes, convenient to run in Lagos traffic, but with the extra to buy the car, service the tranny, replace front brake pads and discs that wear out quicker, same for suspension due to extra weight up front, compounded with worse MPG, is it worth it?

Manual overall would be a lot cheaper to run!
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by chelseabmw(m): 10:24am On Aug 02, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by ebuwa101(m): 2:46pm On Aug 02, 2010
swith off over drive it might help
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 02, 2010
ebuwa101:

swith off over drive it might help

Wrong way round - overdrive is a higher gear ratio, which is designed to save fuel.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Denn(m): 7:22pm On Aug 02, 2010
@poster, scan the vehicle (i think someone deals for around 5k on nairaland) then post the codes here. am sure we can propose therin,
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by bigfather(m): 7:28pm On Aug 02, 2010
Siena:

Wrong way round - overdrive is a higher gear ratio, which is designed to save fuel.

Serious ?! I tot OVER DRIVE is meant to increase gear performance thus making your car to consume more fuel ?
Please kindly clearify this bros. lipsrsealed undecided
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 02, 2010
big father:

Serious ?! I tot OVER DRIVE is meant to increase gear performance thus making your car to consume more fuel ?
Please kindly clearify this bros. lipsrsealed undecided

You can't "increase gear performance". You can however increase the ratio, i.e make it higher. Overdrive is like an extra higher gear, for more relaxed motorway cruising. When overdrive is selected, the engine revs will drop, whilst still maintaining the same road speed, or increasing it.

Will your car use less fuel if you decide to drive on the freeway at 90 mph in 4th, in a 5-speed car? The answer is no - it will burn more gas, as the engine will be turning over at higher revolutions, for any given speed. The 5th, or overdrive is provided to reduce your engine revolutions, while increasing road speed. This will also reduce fuel consumption.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by bigfather(m): 10:30pm On Aug 02, 2010
Siena:

You can't "increase gear performance". You can however increase the ratio, i.e make it higher. Overdrive is like an extra higher gear, for more relaxed motorway cruising. When overdrive is selected, the engine revs will drop, whilst still maintaining the same road speed, or increasing it.

Will your car use less fuel if you decide to drive on the freeway at 90 mph in 4th, in a 5-speed car? The answer is no - it will burn more gas, as the engine will be turning over at higher revolutions, for any given speed. The 5th, or overdrive is provided to reduce your engine revolutions, while increasing road speed. This will also reduce fuel consumption.

Thanks my brother, so in other words,i can drive all through with my OVER DRIVE on ?
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 02, 2010
big father:

Thanks my brother, so in other words,i can drive all through with my OVER DRIVE on ?

As long as your road speed will sustain overdrive (in auto tranny) then yes.
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by bigfather(m): 10:35pm On Aug 02, 2010
Siena:

As long as your road speed will sustain overdrive (in auto tranny) then yes.

It will. I sometimes do like btw 100 to 140 kmph,though i know it's dangerous but am so crazy about speed ! lipsrsealed
Re: How Can I Economize My Eod Fuel Consumption. Its Killing Me by Denn(m): 7:40am On Aug 03, 2010
big father:

It will. I sometimes do like btw 100 to 140 kmph,though i know it's dangerous but am so crazy about speed ! lipsrsealed

100kmph might seem normal and easy but do you know at that speed you are actually flying at 28 meters per second

relax the throttle a bit, the road aint going no where,

(1) (Reply)

Hyundai Car Owners To Enjoy Free Service / Vw Vento And Vw Golf 3, Which One Is Stronger And Easy To Maintain / Do Factory Navigation Systems Work In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.