Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi (24993 Views)

Real Madrid ‘lining Up Shock Transfer Bid’ For Chelsea Midfielder John Obi Mikel / Mourinho Desperate To Sell Either Torres Or John Obi Mikel Or Petr Cech / Inside John Obi Mikel's House - Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi by Ranoscky(m): 4:20pm On Aug 06, 2010
U guys should stop contradictin urselfs. I'm not hia to argue with anybody, buh y will u say mykel n messi r not to be compared b'cos dey don't play in dsame position? fifa doesn't ask u ur position, buh ur performance speak's for u, be u black or whyte! @kilakhan, let me ask u somhm, Canavaro one's won d fifa world best player award (i'v forgotten d yr buh i can search it online n get d answer if u want me to). is he a striker? NO! is he a midfielder? NO! Den, y did fifa decided to give it to him? n how does fifa rate's his best players? through dia performance right? GOOD! If for example, after d end of d season, mykel was rated 100%, n messi was rated 99%, dia's no way fifa will give d award to messi b'cos, som1 else was rated higher dan him. so what is so difficult for us to understand? undecided Tho, i understand wia Chidichris is headin to, n it's true. some of us hia r anti-mykel, maybe b'cos of his club, or b'cos dey don't lyk his style of play, sayin dey hate him b'cos of his (mykel) back pass. buh daz dia problem. mykel is a chelsea player, n im an Arsenal fan buh, i love mykel's style of play, n i wish he's in Arsenal! (buh i also know dat som pipu doesn't lyk mykel b'cos of his progress, rather, dey put dia blame on his playin style.)
Re: John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi by kilakhan(m): 11:46am On Aug 07, 2010
@Ranosky
no one said defenders cant win accolades. i just pointed out that strikers are the darlings of the footballing world. Canavarro won it in 2006 after the World Cup and he was sensational in that World Cup. The awards are actually based on the votes of coaches from National teams. Fifa shortlists 3 candidates and asks that the coaches vote for them. Obviously there is never consensus as to who the best is but the winner is the person with the most votes. That is different from rating players. The reason why it is pointless comparing players that dont do the same thing is because there is no yard stick for doing so. The season Arsenal went unbeaten why was Jens Lehman not Arsenal player of the season? After all his contributions as a goalkeeper must have in a large way contributed to the fact that they went unbeaten. I doubt if Arsenal could have achieved that feat if Almunia or the other clowns in goal for Arsenal these days were the ones manning the post then. How would you rate Lehman's goalkeeping that season alongside Robert Pires play on the wings and Lauren as right back? Surely its impossible!
On the issue of Messi he is world footballer of the year but no one can argue that it is Xavi and Iniesta that make Barca tick not Messi. So how do you compare those three? In Wayne Rooney's opinion Iniesta and Rooney is the best player in the world. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_5351723,00.html
Re: John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi by chidichris(m): 2:19pm On Aug 07, 2010
@Ranosky
no one said defenders cant win accolades. i just pointed out that strikers are the darlings of the footballing world. Canavarro won it in 2006 after the World Cup and he was sensational in that World Cup. The awards are actually based on the votes of coaches from National teams. Fifa shortlists 3 candidates and asks that the coaches vote for them. Obviously there is never consensus as to who the best is but the winner is the person with the most votes. That is different from rating players. The reason why it is pointless comparing players that dont do the same thing is because there is no yard stick for doing so. The season Arsenal went unbeaten why was Jens Lehman not Arsenal player of the season? After all his contributions as a goalkeeper must have in a large way contributed to the fact that they went unbeaten. I doubt if Arsenal could have achieved that feat if Almunia or the other clowns in goal for Arsenal these days were the ones manning the post then. How would you rate Lehman's goalkeeping that season alongside Robert Pires play on the wings and Lauren as right back? Surely its impossible!
On the issue of Messi he is world footballer of the year but no one can argue that it is Xavi and Iniesta that make Barca tick not Messi. So how do you compare those three? In Wayne Rooney's opinion Iniesta and Rooney is the best player in the world. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_5351723,00.html

@kilakhan,
stop worrying urself over this topic. for me, i am only waiting for the next comparism.
if u have been arround on this forum, u will agree with me that mikel has been practically compared to every player in the world including song, martins, haruna and anyone u can think of.
my expectations in the coming days is that mikel will either be compared to obama or mandela because there is no player left to be compared with him.
at the end of the day, mikel is the best nigeria has at the moment.
Re: John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi by erastus75: 8:42am On Aug 08, 2010
If una like, make una carry una heads go hit for wall for I care not.

What is it that, you guys keep on hating Mikel, leave him alone for he is not playing for you to be paid your wages or it is your business? If he likes he can stop playing now for he will not come begging you for food. Amongst you and your brothers, cousins and the like and of the same age, are you on the same level? Are all your fingers equal? God gave some 10 talents, some 5 talents and some 1 talent and HE God has the reason for that. When the time comes for Mikel to win personal awards in Europe or the world, nobody not even you haters can stand on his path.

I rest my case
Re: John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi by erastus75: 8:44am On Aug 08, 2010
chidichris:

@kilakhan,
stop worrying urself over this topic. for me, i am only waiting for the next comparism.
if u have been arround on this forum, u will agree with me that mikel has been practically compared to every player in the world including song, martins, haruna and anyone u can think of.
my expectations in the coming days is that mikel will either be compared to obama or mandela because there is no player left to be compared with him.
at the end of the day, mikel is the best nigeria has at the moment.

Nna God go bless u well well, imagine this nonsense, the next comparison is Mikel vs Rat or cockroaches
Re: John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi by chidichris(m): 12:06pm On Aug 08, 2010

MIKEL: UNITED WILL ALWAYS BE THERE
Posted on: Sun 08 Aug 2010

As we prepare to draw the battle lines with Manchester United once more, John Mikel Obi has been explaining why he expects them to be our main rivals for domestic success this season.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men were runners-up in the league last year as we took the title by a point before taking the Double with a 1-0 win over Portsmouth at Wembley, and although United have had a quiet summer in the transfer market, Mikel believes it will be them, rather than their neighbours Manchester City that will be pushing us all the way.

'They have always been strong and you never write them off, they have a very good team. People talk about Man City but I think Man United are always going to be there, [they] will always be a threat,' said the 23-year-old, who wants to kick the season off with victory at Wembley this afternoon.

'It's an important game but I don't think it has anything to do with the Premier League,' he admitted. 'We want to win it and to start the season well, and if we beat United hopefully we can carry on from there.'

The difference, says the Nigerian, between ourselves and United, and a new financial power like City, is the team ethic that has been present at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford for many years.

'It's not about how much you spend but the team you have. We have a team here, Madrid keep buying players but they don't have a team, and that's one of the problems Man City will have this season,' he predicted.

'The team has always been complete, Yossi is the only one we bought but we have young players coming through. It will still be the same team playing, and it is important we play together. We know each other's game, if Didier makes a run you know where to pass to him.

'I am going into my fifth year now, every year I feel more comfortable and hopefully this year will be a great one for me and the team.

'I feel like one of the senior players, we have the likes of JT, Frank and Didier, they are all big players but we are coming on as well, me, Michael [Essien], Malouda, Kalou, we have been here four or five years now.'

above were the exact words of mikel as presented on chelsea'official website of today. tell me nigerians, is such guy on international assignment interested in local and irrelevant opinions of saddists on nairaland.
this guy is a world class and out there discussing and addressing matured minds at international levels and not under bridge boys that we have here.
GO ON SON, nothing do u.

Re: John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi by emmalezy(m): 3:47pm On Aug 08, 2010
Y wil u compare 2 players playing different position 2 geda.go sleep mahn.
Re: John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi by 12large: 6:45pm On Aug 08, 2010
kai chidicris na real comedian mikel obi na worldclass player oboy there is nothing we cannot here on this forum
Re: John Obi Mikel: Comparing Him With Lionel Messi by chidichris(m): 12:16pm On Aug 09, 2010
hahahaha, pls learn to live by that or try suicide. mikel is playing in a club that is world class along world class players and under the management of a world class coach and meet world class clubs and players from time to time and under the watchful eyes of world class spectectors hence i have no other world to qualify such guy rather than calling him a world class player. yes that is what he is.
die if u are not comfortable with that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

New Photos Of Footballer, Asisat Oshoala / Nigeria VS Gambia: Women's Cup Of Nations Qualifiers - 1 - 0 (Full-Time) / Spanish Federation Rescinds Vinicius Jnr's Red Card, Fines Valencia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.