Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,826 members, 7,802,638 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 (8806 Views)

Lagos Policeman Kills Twin Brothers, Their Friend, Himself (graphic Image) / Policeman Kills Beauty Mc-Cleod, Tennis Star After Argument (Pictured) / Policeman Kills girlfriend For Sleeping With His best Friend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 28, 2010
There was pandemonium at Akonwonjo area of Lagos State following the death of a commercial bus driver simply identified as Kazeem.

Mr. Kareem, in his late 20s, was allegedly shot dead about 3.15pm on Tuesday by a trigger-happy policeman over N50.

The policeman, attached to a patrol vehicle in the area, allegedly shot Mr. Kazeem at the Vulcanizer Bus stop at Egbeda, over the bus driver's refusal to give the policemen who were on stop-and-search operation, the money.

Other commercial buses and tricycles were giving the policemen the tip of N50 each time they passed by the officials.

Mr. Kazeem was said to have complained about the endless extortion by the policemen and when he was stopped, he refused to pay the money, saying that he had paid his due to the policemen.

As he was driving off with the passengers in his bus, the policeman was said to have corked his gun and shot him. The bullet allegedly hit him on the head and he died instantly.

An eye witness, who identified herself as Toyin, narrated what happened.

"I was standing at the Vulcaniser bus stop to board a bus to my house when I heard a gunshot. The bullet hit a commercial bus driver who was conveying some passengers, and the driver lost control of his vehicle and the vehicle hit the bus in front of him. The policeman who shot him was demanding for N50 tip, but the driver said he had paid N50 before. He was driving off when the police shot him."

Riot breaks out

Mr. Kareem's death led to a violent protest in the area. Bus drivers and other residents of the area took to the streets with dangerous weapons and attacked the police patrol van. The police men took to their heels, but the official who allegedly shot the driver was apprehended by the mob.

They dragged him on the ground and used broken bottles and machete on him. The policeman was later rescued by the combined efforts of other policemen, the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), and men of the mobile police squad.

More than 200 policemen were immediately drafted to the area, while police patrol vans, numbering 15, were at the scene of the incident to quell the rioters, with a helicopter hovering over the area.

The mob, however, were not deterred by the presence of the policemen as they went wild, destroying everything belonging to the police, while others chased any policeman they saw.

A senior police officer at the scene of the accident said the incident was unfortunate.

"Before we got here, the damage has been done. A policeman was in the pool of his own blood, and the hoodlums were using dangerous weapons to fight us. Initially, our men were shooting to stop the hoodlums, because some of them were using AK47 guns, machetes, and other weapons to attack us. All the DPO in and around Egbeda have been deployed to the scene, and more officers were deployed from Ikeja Division, to assist," he said.

When contacted on the incident almost immdiately, the police spokesperson, Frank Mba, said he had not been briefed on the incident. "I don't have details yet" he said in a text message.

But shortly afterwards, he sent another text message, saying "The police has returned normalcy to the area. The case is under investigation, the police officers will be dealt with in accordance with the law, including dismissal and prosecution, if they are found wanting."

He added, however, that prosecution awaits "the thugs who took the laws into their hands."

"We believe that jungle justice has no place in our criminal justice system, and two wrongs cannot make a right. 24 persons have been arrested and transferred to the SCID Panti for profiling and investigation," Mr. Mba said.

A similar incident happened at Ishashi area of the state, barely two weeks ago, when a policeman allegedly shot dead a commercial motorcycle rider over his refusal to give the policeman a bribe of N20. The commercial motorcycle riders in the area took to the streets and protested the death of their colleague.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Crime/5599728-146/story.csp

what a way to waste human life!!! over 50 naira??

Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by makajibbz(m): 8:37am On Jul 28, 2010
4get . . . if na me,we go kill dat police,en angry angry

1 Like

Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by tkb417(m): 8:38am On Jul 28, 2010
tot they said they killed some policemen

so they didnt kill the Policeman who killed someone?

chei!!!

i dey vexxxxxxxxx.

1 Like

Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Acidosis(m): 8:45am On Jul 28, 2010
Excess weed in their thinking faculty.
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 28, 2010
i do wonder. . . . . . . . [b]₦[/b]50 from every passing commercial vehicle during a 12hr time frame, thats a LOT of vehicle isnt it?! so they wouldnt even let ONE person go?!

i guess these policemen want to keep the money flowing at all cost and will murder anyone who DARES to make them loose out on [b]₦[/b]50!

1 Like

Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 28, 2010
i dont understand what kept the mob from setting that killer ablaze

1 Like

Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by oisehumen(m): 12:30pm On Jul 28, 2010
ziddy:

i dont understand what kept the mob from setting that killer ablaze

Me too. Now, it will be one story to another before the policeman would be freed.

1 Like

Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Markenny(m): 12:46pm On Jul 28, 2010
i love my nigeria no be small.
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by jitolala(m): 12:54pm On Jul 28, 2010
Nigeria Policemen ar unarguably corrupt,untrained,insensitive.What do you expect?Kiaaaaa.Now policemen are clamouring for instant justice for kidnappers.Wow,everybody will be deemed a kidnapper for them to execute their naferious deeds on defenceless and law abiding citizens.For me,I have ensure the correctness of my vehicle papers and most at times give then N100 to avoid harassment from them.[i][/i] grin shocked[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by emeritus05: 1:01pm On Jul 28, 2010
tot gist had it that 1 or 2 policeman was killed?so na lie am so angry, so they did not kill the trigger happy cop and me saw a whole battallion of mobile policemen,armoured tanks and black maria @ the scene as early as 6am this morning when leaving for work chanting combat song!.what a country!someone was going about his job peacefully and 1 greedy policemen whose generation will reap from the seeds of this heinous crime,ended his life jst like dat.for those who don't know a full passenger bus plying dat road makes 420naira per trip.inside this 420,agbero will collect,and they ll pay d different unions at  both last busstops.And to think i went on GEJ's facebook advocating for not only salary increament for the forces but also Housing.so that when they retire they ll ve a house of their own instead of bringing this country to disrepute by their wicked acts.infact na God go purnish them!the blood of that young man will not relent until the culprit himself is 6ft under.!i tire for this country infact i wan renounce my citizenship!
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Dotman01(m): 1:09pm On Jul 28, 2010
I tot they killed the police man. . . . . Damn!!!!. . . . I dey vex
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Meks22(m): 1:20pm On Jul 28, 2010
wat else do we expect from these useless cops considering d amount of weed and shekpe they consume everyday, only God can save us from in dis country
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by OboBoco(f): 1:23pm On Jul 28, 2010
so the angry mob could not kill even one police man??. WHERE IS OUR COUNTRIES ADRENALIN GOING TO angry angry angry angry angry angry .
I HATE THESE POLICE BASTARDS, KILL THEM ALL. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Ranoscky(m): 1:30pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^Walahi, doz bas-tards dey annouy me bad! if i see dem sef, i dey vex, talkless of matter lyke dis. . .NA KILL!!! sad

Don't be surprise dat 1 person may com up n support doz police peeps, n say it's b'cos dia salaries r so low!

*i swear, i go pour raw acid for dat person body if him dey near me!* sad
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by jokingmary(m): 1:49pm On Jul 28, 2010
Who is that foolish police spokesman calling thugs?

This is annoying

I hate the Nigerian police angry
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by sylve11: 1:52pm On Jul 28, 2010
if u wan talk about the problems of this country, phansider + panadol extra + paracetamol + mixagrip nor go fit cure 5 mins debates wen u go make over this country.

I tire for everything wen dey happen for this country, the case for be reverse, ''bus driver kill 2 policemen with wheel spanner'' sad cool
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by BluMalam(m): 2:13pm On Jul 28, 2010
Despicable. That killer cop deserves to hang.
MrPrsdent:

"Before we got here, the damage has been done. A policeman was in the pool of his own blood, and the hoodlums were using dangerous weapons to fight us. Initially, our men were shooting to stop the hoodlums, because some of them were using AK47 guns, machetes, and other weapons to attack us. All the DPO in and around Egbeda have been deployed to the scene, and more officers were deployed from Ikeja Division, to assist," he said.

Oh really, i guess the hoodlums also had their own helicopter hovering too.

The NPF i know would have massacred that area in the name of self-defence. AK47 ke, Catapult ni
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by lajjy(m): 2:15pm On Jul 28, 2010
what a sad story, what a pity, what a tragedy, A man has to loose his life because of his refusal to give out 50 naira.
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by tkb417(m): 2:27pm On Jul 28, 2010
jokingmary:

Who is that foolish police spokesman calling thugs?

This is annoying

I hate the Nigerian police angry
hate is an understatement

im waiting for when the Nigerian army will shoot at least 1,000 of them
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by eldee(m): 2:27pm On Jul 28, 2010
tkb417:

tot they said they killed some policemen

so they didnt kill the Policeman who killed someone?

chei!!!

i dey vexxxxxxxxx.

It's no longer hidden, there was a time they actually allowed Aljazeera to film a public excecution of random people.

[flash=450,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stU0T2H1DMo&hl=en_GB&fs=1[/flash]

Skip to 2:12
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Emestico: 2:30pm On Jul 28, 2010
what a barstardized nation, will 50 box get the life back?
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by softgirl1: 2:47pm On Jul 28, 2010
will our govt say dey are not seeing dem even at Ikeja bus/stop from 6pm in the evening they collect money from drivers kekenapep Okada at my area it is also done legaly at times i wonder wat revenue those money are going to dis is getting out of hand o wat a shame to dis country may God help us
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 28, 2010
shocking execution video

i WEEP for this nation
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by araba1(m): 2:54pm On Jul 28, 2010
policemen and their wahala,they are still there at akowonjo this morning drinking sepe and paraga instead of doing the job they are meant to do.
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by dlox01(m): 3:05pm On Jul 28, 2010
THE HOODLUMS/THUGS HAVE TO BE INVESTIGATED AND BROUGHT TO BOOK, FOR NOT EXECUTING THE POLICE MAN WITHING THE GIVEN TIME!!! angry angry
WHEN A PURSE SNATCHER IS CAUGHT EVEN IN TIMES OF FUEL SCARCITY,SOMEHOW SOMEHOW FUEL MUST SHOW AND BURNING MUST COMMENCE BUT I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND THIS CASE, THEY HAD THE POLICE MAN IN THIER GRASP AND DIDNT KIL HIM?IF THEY HAD KILLED HIM THEN THE POLICE WOULD LEARN FROM THIS,
DOES ANYBODY HAVE A VIDEO OF THE EVENT??I WISH I COULD LAY A HAND ON ONE N POST IT ON THE IGs page AND OTHER 'SO CALLED TOP' NIGERIANS,SENATE, PRESIDENT, THIS IS A BIG SHAME~~~!!!!
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by massach79: 3:15pm On Jul 28, 2010
come to alakuko police station from 4pm there is a joint inside the station where sepe is displayed for sale,  the most annoying part is that the display is not hidden; just after the entrance gate.

what a shame
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by skyndyp(f): 3:45pm On Jul 28, 2010
He killed the poor guy just like that? What is this nation turning into angry angry
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by Dizzy001(m): 3:54pm On Jul 28, 2010
even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the NPF, I will fear no evil, for they are with me my glock and my 9, they comfort me. they prepare a table before me in the presence of the NPF. So help me God if I fall into the trap of the NPF, I’ll make the nightly news.

saw that on 234next "lol" grin
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by violent(m): 3:57pm On Jul 28, 2010
Scrap the damn Nigerian Police----its high time we returned to the good ol vigilantes!

and the mob that got arrested got what they deserve,-----me wonders why setting just a single police officer ablaze was so difficult!
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by canuck(m): 4:07pm On Jul 28, 2010
@ OP

This story is disheartening! cry

massach79:

come to alakuko police station from 4pm there is a joint inside the station where sepe is displayed for sale, the most annoying part is that the display is not hidden; just after the entrance gate.

What is "sepe"?
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by MissyB1(m): 4:13pm On Jul 28, 2010
At the end of the day, the Policeman would go scot-free. Nigeria!!!
Re: Policeman Kills Bus Driver Over N50 by bawomolo(m): 4:14pm On Jul 28, 2010
that boko haram video is chilling.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests 29 Suspected Internet Fraudsters In Enugu / Nigerian Fraudster Caught With 128 Identities in the UK / Fulani Herdsmen attacked Godogodo Village, Kaduna, Killed 6 Farmers..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.