Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,824 members, 7,798,790 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31128 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by netotse(m): 4:38pm On Aug 23, 2007
@ niggy men tenks a bunch o! the love here is too plenty i read all the posts here and on the ubuntu thread and it seems er'one is  like one big family i already feel welcome
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:03pm On Aug 23, 2007
Niggy men you just disappeared, how life now ?
Well i finally got to connect on my pc via my phone, guess it was a celtel issue. When i upgraded to edgy just fired up a terminal and just the normal wvdial and am online even now from linux, linux rules
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by sukieboy(f): 12:51pm On Aug 28, 2007
Folks!!,
It depends on what one wants to do with the OS. In term of distribution which is very important by who and how many pple are using the OS, I tell you that Windows tops all world over. The other way round, in terms of ruggedness and performance for some specific task and innovations (Hi-tech), Unix systems are riding quite higher than Windows.
So, It actually depends on what you are using as ur yardstich or ponte-referandum.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:40am On Aug 31, 2007
@adewaleafolabi,
thanks. Got a little busy with many database projects. I actually missed the days of posting and fast response on this thread, but seems many folks ve gone low too. like jogego. The thread actually drifted so much towards debating/advocating windows or linux (which was actually the threads topic, but not my intention) which happens now not to be my religion. I'm pretty stuck with linux. It makes my computing intricating and challenging. Each time, i get better and the feel is damn pretty good. You know what i'm saying.

I solve problems with my computer now. Gone are the days of OS domination. There's lots to discover with linux. This is a choice actually, and it's taking me places. When i talk about computer, OS and Programming, Windows Gurus, take their writing pads. But what baffles me still is, why they don't want to learn. They just want to login into a computer and start clicking everything clickable, looking for help options and using their shallow computer mines to guess what the next option of possibility to problem click should be.

I don't claim to be a 'G' in computer. But what i do now i do best. Thanks to Torvaldo Linus.

Think i miss great guys like u too. cheers!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by A40(m): 4:23am On Sep 02, 2007
I think Linux is more stable and when you need to handle enterprise applications databases and networking generally Linux is still your best bet.When its time for entertainment games relaxation i switch to Windows
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:59pm On Sep 02, 2007
well niggy like u said i just simply use it because it works for me. Its fun, entertaining and challenging. Yesterday i had to use windows not because linux can't serve me but because i'll be carried away by songbird so i had to stay away from it.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by netotse(m): 1:39am On Sep 03, 2007
@afo
guy am in lag till like thursday do u think it'll be possibe for me to get the distro cd from u?
ill be spending a lot of time in unilag while am in town,
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by bigrovar(m): 9:17am On Sep 03, 2007
afo would have probably have gone to sch to school by now.(UI) but i have the cd/dvd that u want so u can reach me 08022982697 i stay in Gbagada which is closes to lag,
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:31pm On Sep 03, 2007
netose why not call bigbrovar now he has the dvd
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by netotse(m): 1:41am On Sep 04, 2007
@adewaleafolabi
yep, i'll do that tenks,

@bigrovar
r u serious thats really convenient i have an uncle that stays at pedro(thats not too far right?) i'll call u to find out how i can get the disc tenks a bunsh!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by mendax: 5:05pm On Sep 11, 2007
@adewaleafolabi, bigrovar

pls i want 2 go into linux, which of the linux OS is da best.
thanx awaitin ur response

NB: also where can i get a good installatn CD
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by bigrovar(m): 7:16pm On Sep 11, 2007
@adewaleafolabi, bigrovar

please i want 2 go into linux, which of the linux OS is da best.
thanx awaitin your response

NB: also where can i get a good installatn CD

Easy just check this site, www.ubuntunigeria. everything u seek to know is there, and u will meet pple u will readily

Cheers smiley
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by mendax: 3:21pm On Sep 13, 2007
@ bigrovar
thanx, u r da man
da website was very helpful, hope to join u one day as a guru on dis website!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by mendax: 3:33pm On Sep 13, 2007
thanx
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by bigrovar(m): 6:46am On Sep 14, 2007
u well come man may the Ubuntu be with u
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by prince2008(m): 1:20am On Feb 17, 2008
BECOMING THE BILL GATE OF NIGERIA
Discover how you can dramatically become a computer engineer within 7 days with just #3000 only for my ICT training CD.
YOU WILL LEARN:
 How to build a personal computer
 PC repairing and upgrading
 Know your personal computer
 Networking
 Programming
 A+
 Java
 Administering ms 2000 server
 C & C++
 Dos tutor
 Hacking
 Database
 Bluetooth
 AUTOCAD
 Assembler
 ASP
 Communications
 GPS receiver
 E1-T1 tutorial
 Learn directx7
 MCSE
 ORACLE
 PERL
 Unix
 Virtual active network
 VB.net
 Linux
 WAN
 WLAN
 VPN
 Visual studio
 Website Design
 Visual basic 6
 Etc.
FOR WHOM:
 Computer tutors
 Computer students
 Anyone who desires to become a computer engineer.

BONUS:
Free e-books on how to make legitimate money with google and yahoo worth over $176.
THIS IS STRICTLY A LIMITED OFFER
The earlier you act on it, the better because we have just few in stock left. Don't wait any longer you will hardly get this information any where at this price.
INFO MORE DETAILS ON HOW TO ORDER: Send a blank email to prince_groups@yahoo.com with the subject: (please reserve me one package) or call +2348032717113 if you would like to discuss on phone.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Stanozcom(m): 10:33am On Feb 20, 2008
Linus?

I know him now!!

He was in my class in primary 4.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Azanor(m): 5:03pm On Feb 20, 2008
this linux thing self, i'm seriously beginning to consider it. i've even downloaded ubuntu 7.10 and before i go any futher i just want to know one thing, i'm a total pc gamer( hardly play on anything else) if i switch to linux will i still be able to play all those games becos i dont want to keep switching back to windows every time i want to game on
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:17pm On Feb 20, 2008
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 4:49pm On Feb 21, 2008
This is why many people hate linux fanboys
You've made a choice to switch OS to one you feel you're more fulfilled in. Good for you.

but for someone to start yapping on about 'Windows users take notes'

quote below

They just want to login into a computer and start clicking everything clickable, looking for help options and using their shallow computer mines to guess what the next option of possibility to problem click should be.

Then you really have to wonder how he doesn't see how shallow this trend of thought is.

Some of us have jobs, have busy schedules that keep us out of the house a lot. We really want something that just works out of the box. We really do NOT need to start bashing our heads against a wall just so we can feel good afterwards. Even at that, lots of pros use Windows. in industrial light and magic, in disney, in pixar, people are using Windows to churn out quality work. and it shows.

your 'shallow computer mines' line was pretty silly. And that's the bottom line.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by bigrovar(m): 10:52am On Feb 22, 2008
mahn am starting to feel its either u are obsessed with dissing linux , or u feel insecure anytime u see someone make a post about linux , gee i checked the last 4 posts and no body made a derogative remark about windows, yet it seems to sparks a plug in ur brain anytime u see a post about linux no matter how innocent it may be, wetin be your problem now, u cant use ur own experience with linux as a benchmark for judgiung the os in general, habba , i and millions of other pple that use do so becus it works for us, so do the billions that use windows , many of them use it becus it works for them , so u see every os has its pro and cons , as i write this a window user is on his way to see me leaving his work and everything that u has planned for the day just to fix is laptop that can preinstalled with windows, yet there are millions out there u dont have any problem with their window box, so mahn if windows works for u, use it, but leave linux users and their and their problems alone, its what i use and i greatly enjoy it,
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 22, 2008
BRING IT ON! grin

nairalands windows vista evangelist (texazzpete) vs nairalands linux evangelist ( bigbrovar)

let the never ending debate continue!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 1:40pm On Feb 22, 2008
bigrovar:

mahn am starting to feel its either u are obsessed with dissing linux , or u feel insecure anytime u see someone make a post about linux , gee i checked the last 4 posts and no body made a derogative remark about windows, yet it seems to sparks a plug in your brain anytime u see a post about linux no matter how innocent it may be, wetin be your problem now, u can't use your own experience with linux as a benchmark for judgiung the os in general, habba , i and millions of other people that use do so becus it works for us, so do the billions that use windows , many of them use it becus it works for them , so u see every os has its pro and cons , as i write this a window user is on his way to see me leaving his work and everything that u has planned for the day just to fix is laptop that can preinstalled with windows, yet there are millions out there u don't have any problem with their window box, so mahn if windows works for u, use it, but leave linux users and their and their problems alone, its what i use and i greatly enjoy it,

Did you even read my post at all?
I'm clearly replying what Niggy wrote, and to help you i even quoted (obviously) him dissing Windows users.
Checked the last 4 posts, did you? Was it too difficult to read the posts on the same page before sermonizing?

*sigh*
Steve Jobs was right; people don't read anymore.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 22, 2008
actually, that post was over 4months ago.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 1:54pm On Feb 22, 2008
oyb:

BRING IT ON! grin

nairalands windows vista evangelist (texazzpete) vs nairalands linux evangelist ( bigbrovar)

let the never ending debate continue!

I don't think i qualify as a 'vista evangelist'. i don't think i need/want that tag. My policy and opinions have always been with personal choice, and i take that opinion in almost every argument, whether we're talking about abortion, sexuality etc. Let the people have what they want.

unfortunately, despite influential people like Torvalds calling for respect for Windows and Windows users you've got linux geeks around the world bashing people who use Windows. There's a choice to be made and at this point it's far more comfortable for me to use Windows. I've got no internet access at home (waiting for broadband) and thus i've no patience with tutorials telling me to download this codec, this library or that dependency. My Windows just works for what i want to do and that serves me ok.

I personally have no problem with linux. i took the step of installing ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon on my playstation 3. I had gentooX linux running on my xbox long ago. I follow up progress on numerous PS3 hacking sites to find out when they'll be able to enable hypervisor (3d GPU support) for the PS3 version of linux. I've been able to install VLC and Mplayer on my PS3 to play VCDs. Currently i've got my PS3 hooked up to my TV, running at 1080i resolution, with a wireless keyboard and mouse. In short, a full fledged Linux PC.

What i have a problem with is an idiot babbling about windows users having 'shallow computer minds'.  Simple as that.

Want my advice? get matured. open a post giving tutorials to people how to use linux, instead of this silly dick measuring contest here. In the first 15 posts here in the computers section not one is about Linux.

There's a Post somewhere a guy was asking for help after installing Ubuntu. it's near the bottom of the 'Computers' section. It's a crying shame people like bigrovar didn't stop by to help the guy out instead of making time out to attack me.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 1:56pm On Feb 22, 2008
oyb:

actually, that post was over 4months ago.

yeah. that's why i quoted it. But i can see now how bigrovar missed it
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 22, 2008
@ no vex o, but i think you are a vista evangelist  cheesy

remember your thread on  install windows vista on a PC?

and your starring roles in all those vista vs xp threads?

BTW sp1 is out atleast RTM, though the revies aint so hot  undecided

at this rate, i may just wait till sp2 before reinstalling vista on my system undecided

texazzpete:

I don't think i qualify as a 'vista evangelist'. i don't think i need/want that tag. My policy and opinions have always been with personal choice, and i take that opinion in almost every argument, whether we're talking about abortion, sexuality etc. Let the people have what they want.

i have never seen you in the sexuality threads . . are you a passive observer? wink
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 2:56pm On Feb 22, 2008
oyb:

i have never seen you in the sexuality threads . . are you a passive observer? wink
@oyb
I meant the gay/lesbo thingy.

I don't like gays, but i'm totally against any anti-gay laws or discriminations etc
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by bigrovar(m): 6:45pm On Feb 22, 2008
Did you even read my post at all?
I'm clearly replying what Niggy wrote, and to help you i even quoted (obviously) him dissing Windows users.
Checked the last 4 posts, did you? Was it too difficult to read the posts on the same page before sermonizing?
am very very sorry like oyb said the post is quite old infact it has been there for eternity (august 2007) that didnt quite think that anybody could be making refernce to it, but am sorry,

unfortunately, despite influential people like Torvalds calling for respect for Windows and Windows users you've got linux geeks around the world bashing people who use Windows.
mahn OS bashing goes both ways , and no particular os can claim that its users are innocents, windows users call their linux counterpart geeks,communist,opensource hippies and all sort of names, even u used users to qualify people that run windows and geeks to qualify does that run linux

There's a choice to be made and at this point it's far more comfortable for me to use Windows. I've got no internet access at home (waiting for broadband) and thus i've no patience with tutorials telling me to download this codec, this library or that dependency. My Windows just works for what i want to do and that serves me ok.
neither do i have an internet connection at home , but just like windows u have to be online to download codecs that are not preinstalled with the os, this is standard , on vista i had to go online search google on how to install codecs for aac,vob,ogg,rm,mp4,mv,avi, and so many others, i ended up with a program called
vista codecs
which caused windows vista to give an error called "cum surrogate error" it was until i "paid for " and downloaded nero that the problem stoped, even then i have to use itunes to play aac files since windows media player library doesnt see it, and where do u get itunes from, u guessed right, so my library is split into windows media player if i want to play wma files and itunes if i want to play aac files ,
on ubuntu gutsy all u have to do is attempt to play a file and ubuntu would offer to download the codec for u if u don't already have it installed, u don't need a tutorial for that but just like windows u need internet for the download, even when u install ultimate edition all the codecs u ever need is preinstalled and u wont have to install anything, i have the iso i can burn it for u if u want,
too much as been made about the over dependence of ubuntu on internet, when it is windows that needs all your drivers to be downloaded when u install a new system,abi where do u get yahoo msger,office,idm,photoshop,the aformentioned codecs , etc, all this comes preinstalled with ubuntu, at least their open source equivalent, yes u still need to get additional stuffs online but then so is windows, ubuntu installs 90 % of your drivers by default in most cases 100%, try installing vista or xp on a lappy like a fairly used own esp one with no recovery disk,

I personally have no problem with linux. i took the step of installing ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon on my playstation 3. I had gentooX linux running on my xbox long ago. I follow up progress on numerous PS3 hacking sites to find out when they'll be able to enable hypervisor (3d GPU support) for the PS3 version of linux. I've been able to install VLC and Mplayer on my PS3 to play VCDs. Currently i've got my PS3 hooked up to my TV, running at 1080i resolution, with a wireless keyboard and mouse. In short, a full fledged Linux PC.

like i always say ubuntu and linux in general work best on a destop/laptop , mehn so u used gentoo, even me dey fear that thing, it is very notorious even in the linux community, it is used by the guruiest of gurus , the desktop version don't even come with a gui on an installer u have to compile everything u need,

What i have a problem with is an idiot babbling about windows users having 'shallow computer minds'. Simple as that.
i don't say things derogatory about people who don't use the same as as me or disagree with my point of view, u can't always control what people say, but that is a wrong thing to say , if u was not quoted out of context,

Want my advice? get matured.
thanks mahn , i never feel that am matured enough for my liking but i always try to be more matured today than i was yesterday

open a post giving tutorials to people how to use linux, instead of this silly privates measuring contest here. In the first 15 posts here in the computers section not one is about Linux.
mahn your adverse came late, i am founding member of ubuntu nigeria and we have members all over Nigeria the purpose of the group is to help people how are new to linux with guides ,supports and cd/dvds , we have a blog www.ubuntunigeria. which is full of tutor guides many of which were writing by your truely , covering many aspect of ubuntu from dual booting to connecting to the net via dialup/evdo etc and many more, i even droped my number that and i tell u i can't count how many people have called me asking for help on how to install ubuntu , if they are in lagos i invite them to my house, i have install ubuntu for countless of pples. i don buy over 100 dvds of high quality which i burn ubuntu and its applications just to give out freely to people , i have sent cds to abuja ,uk and the middle east on request, hardly a week goes by without me giving a guy an ubuntu cd or assist in its installation, add that to my windows blog www.bigbrovar. which is stocked with tutors and guides and my vista problem thread here on nairaland, mahn u have to gave me little credit here at least i can say i have tried, but then i can't help every tom privates and harry on nairaland , abi is it every window guy that has a problem that u help?

There's a Post somewhere a guy was asking for help after installing Ubuntu. it's near the bottom of the 'Computers' section. It's a crying shame people like bigrovar didn't stop by to help the guy out instead of making time out to attack me.
like i said am not always online and i might have missed it but then i have a blog and many of the tutors are there ,

n the first 15 posts here in the computers section not one is about Linux.
the benchmark for how good linux is , is not based on how often it is talked about on nairaland, even with that 60% of post in nairaland are from people seeking help for one problem with windows or the other,
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by bigrovar(m): 8:37pm On Feb 25, 2008
smiley
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by latbabs(m): 9:09pm On May 10, 2009
my people @ home, i am hearing about the current and latest OS, so plz, watch out for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by flyuche(m): 11:18pm On May 10, 2009
i missed this thread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Mtn Hynet--- / Windows 8: The Thread / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.