Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,321 members, 7,808,080 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria (19815 Views)

For those with 3rd class degree take these steps!!!! / I Did Not Make 3rd Class Degree(Soyinka) I Made 2:1 / How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Ogunswale(m): 6:21pm On Jun 15, 2005
Please I want you guys to tell me what to do because I just recieved a sad news about my result from school. I made a 3rd class, which I did not expect.

But presently I am with Telnet as a temporary staff prior to my service in September. Please can you people advice me on the best step to take so as to achieve something in life. I would value your contributions. Thanks.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by IAH(f): 6:32pm On Jun 15, 2005
May I ask: What course did you study? This might help to give advice.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by jogego(m): 7:36pm On Jun 15, 2005
I thought you were always made aware of your grades, and you generally knew your GP? So Ogunswale should have had an idea wheather he was going to be a bordeline 2.2 in which case he would have needed to do serious 'adura' and 'awe' (prayers and fasting)

That as it may, Nigeria being what Nigeria is, you might get a better job than someone with a 1st class it all depends on who you know. 'Naija na long leg', unless things have changed oh.

1 Like

Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 10:28am On Jun 16, 2005
Merit is no longer the point here it is the spoil system a.k.a long leg. A lawyer in this country had a 3rd class pass, today his name ring bells.

Hnd and 3rd class pass are not equal. Degree is degree.

Take up professional courses leading to MBA , ICAN etc. If you so much love academic, do not panic. Take up A PGD with 3.5 and above I.e 60%. You can have an academic master degree instead of professional master degree.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by IAH(f): 11:59am On Jun 16, 2005
What if he does not have "long legs"?
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by whizkid(f): 12:41pm On Jun 16, 2005
Yes what if the brother does not 'have long legs'? Anyway before we start proferring solutions or advices, the brother should do well by telling us what course he studied, then we can take it from there.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by legs(f): 3:22pm On Jun 16, 2005
.. he may also wish to fast and pray because if God sits all the way in heaven and the earth is still His foot-stool then the Almighty definitely has the longest legs that I know
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 9:28am On Jun 17, 2005
Legs please don't tempt our creator definitely not like your own legs.
whizkid:

Anyway before we start proferring solutions or advices, the brother should do well by telling us what course he studied, then we can take it from there.
Once we know the course we will give him the solution.

1 Like

Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Olatunji(m): 10:06am On Jun 17, 2005
Fellow forum member, if any of us has a problem and the person feels like sharing it with us, I think what we should do is to advise the person concerned and not to make jest or play with the matter.
The situation this guy is , is a very sad one and he needs someone to boost his morale and not to dampen it. So, jogego pls let us take this serious.
Mr Ogunswale, do not allow this situation to change your focus.Always pray and hope for the best.Our fate is in the hands of God and in what class we finished from.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by jogego(m): 12:19pm On Jun 17, 2005
@ Olatunji, why on earth are you singling me out? So, in your books, praying and fasting is a joke? Or what have I said to make you think I dont take this serious? Pulleeeeze
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jun 17, 2005
such a pity man. but honestly i think u brought it upon ur self. anybody with a third class really was a NASU (non academic student). i myself a 2'2 looks like my best bet. but i know had i been more serious i would have made a 2'1. well don't cry over spilt milk. look ahead and try ur best.

life, it's funny how we never know what we have (the chance to study and better ourselves and community), till it's gone (we mess up with our grades) and start regretting.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by dominobaby(f): 5:02pm On Jun 18, 2005
trae_z:

such a pity man. but honestly I think you brought it upon your self. anybody with a third class really was a NASU (non academic student). I myself a 2'2 looks like my best bet. but I know had I been more serious I would have made a 2'1. well don't cry over spilt milk. look ahead and try your best.

life, it's funny how we never know what we have (the chance to study and better ourselves and community), till it's gone (we mess up with our grades) and start regretting.

Hey Trae,

I bet you, not all who end up with a 3rd class are actually NASU members. You never can tell what led to such grade. Do not help the guy cry over spilt milk. He is seeking help and what we can do is to help him!!!

Meanwhile, Yes Ogunswale, people are ready to help here and are waiting for you to say what course you studied.

and BTW Legs, i love that analogy of GOD having long legs.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by diakim(m): 6:12pm On Jun 19, 2005
Ogunswale,

All hope is not lost. You can still get a good job with 3rd Class. One of my classmates in school got 3rd Class and he is working in a big organisation in Lagos. He has travelled outside Nigeria on official assignments countless numbers of time. Just believe God and prayed.

And besides, you can go for your M.Sc. or M.A. even with 3rd Class degree. I have it on good source that even the University of Lagos admits 3rd Class for their Masters degree programmes. With postgraduate degrees, you can go places and your 3rd Class degree will not be a barrier to you.

Peace be to you.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Ogunswale(m): 10:08am On Jun 20, 2005
Well sorry 4 not putting my course of study on my post. I read Electrical Engineering and i really appreciate some oe your contributions. I think this would go a long way in to help my thought about my next step in life. Thanks once again 4 your contributions and i still welcome more
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by legs(f): 12:03pm On Jun 20, 2005
HND Holder:

Legs please don't tempt our creator definitely not like your own legs

and how am i tempting the Creator... pray tell....

dominobaby:

and BTW Legs, I love that analogy of GOD having long legs.
thanks dominobaby but what is BTW?
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 1:44pm On Jun 20, 2005
Whatever thy sowth so shall ye reap. God has his will and gave you your own will what else.

My brother Electrical Engineer you have nothing to be afraid of. Try and skill up practically ,work with registered electrical engineer keep your log book , then obtain NSE and process your registration with COREN.

I have friends who are PhD holders like me who had 3rd class at the Bsc level. (i had HND then) We met at the PGD class then Msc then PhD. They are doing well. Nigerian society of engineers do no discriminate on your grade . Good luck.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by legs(f): 2:26pm On Jun 20, 2005
HND Holder for the sake of simple clarification, what I meant by God having the longest legs is that with God you don't need any  human connections ([I]long leg[/I]) as He has the best connections ([I]longest leg[/I]) in the world (..the heart of kings is in His hands...). Its  neither here nor there if you don't immediately understand an analogy, but it would be advantageous if you clarified its meaning before making your assumptions, I trust that I have been explicit enough.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by IAH(f): 2:32pm On Jun 20, 2005
Like everybody has said, go for your Postgrad. and be determined and focused to make it. Pls identify whatever caused you to make a 3rd class in your first degree and do everything to avoid it this time. Don't look back at the mistakes you might have made but look forward onto what you can achieve if you work harder.  As an electrical engineer, the sky is your limit (That is one of the best courses to study in our world today!) and then engineering is more of your skills than your grade, so you can even be better than someone with a second class upper division in terms of practical skills.
You can achieve what you want to achieve and I pray the Lord will grant you success in life's endeavours.
Peace.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 4:41pm On Jun 20, 2005
legs:

leg[/I]) as He has the best connections ([I]longest leg[/I]) in the world

But Almighty is not a classmate of MTN
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by legs(f): 4:44pm On Jun 20, 2005
thats a joke right?
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 4:48pm On Jun 20, 2005
He is lord of Lords A L M I G H T Y
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by pounds(m): 12:53pm On Jun 21, 2005
the only thing u will do 4 m oguns is to continue praying to ur god cry
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by legs(f): 6:54pm On Jun 21, 2005
no doubt HND HOLDER, that much is very obvious
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 12:31pm On Jun 22, 2005
Submit totally to his will, and He alone to be worshiped in truth and in spirit.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by dominobaby(f): 1:26pm On Jun 26, 2005
legs:

thanks dominobaby but what is BTW?
BTW is short for by the way.

HND Holder doesn't seem to catch your analogy, Legs
HND Holder I bet you have heard people always talking about having 'connections' and 'long legs' in order to gain entry into certain places. Legs' analogy is by no means connected to her nairaland username. cool
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Hndholder(m): 2:34pm On Jun 27, 2005
I know now all thesame. Legs for the fun of it.
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by Greatpeter(m): 9:54pm On Jul 04, 2005
It's not the end of the world. He might end up getting a good job than First class holder who can't defend it and the brilliant first class.
I met a guy who made first class and he was speaking English like Jss2 student.
"He has went out!!!!!!!!!!" grin grin grin grin
[I]I don die tire oooo.[/I] grin grin grin I have gave him. grin grin grin What a blunder!
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by kazey(m): 10:34am On Jul 05, 2005
"He has went out!!!!!!!!!!" Grin Grin Grin Grin
I don die tire oooo. Grin Grin Grin I have gave him. Grin Grin Grin What a blunder!

Maybe he obtained his degree from France or Germany? tongue
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by olaide07(f): 7:51pm On Jul 26, 2005
Be prayerful cos its gonna be hard
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by DEKING3(m): 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2005
IAH:

engineering is more of your skills than your grade, so you can even be better than someone with a second class upper division in terms of practical skills.

IAH has said it. Ogunswale pls read thru this.
I have a friend who read Electrical/Electronics and graduated with 3rd class and he's doing very well. But you know what? Practically this guy is a "GURU". So,if you're practically okay, you're sure to be somewhere.
B4 this guy started up his own business, the last place he worked for 5yrs he got the job as a result of his practical ability which was one of, and the final stage of series of interviews he attended. Know that people who had 1st class, 2'1, 2'2 were also present for the same interview.

In engineering your papers are not too important coz employers of labour are concerned doing the work. Above all stick to GOD
Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by joftech(m): 10:10am On Jul 29, 2005
@Ogunwale, it's like you are not even confident in yourself. And you banked all your hope and aspiration on your certificate. My view about life it's all about your attitude not your altitude. Bleep university degree, and first or second class for that matter.

You can be anything you want to be, but it all starts from within. If you see yourself as a failure you are failure, no amount of prayer can change that.

Albert Einstein was considered a failure because he has Asperger's disorder, failed classes several times. But that did not stop him from being a celebrated scientist. One other thing is that we all shine in different fields, Einstein was successful at science but he was a failure in marriage; but that did not stop him from being what he wants to be.

Since you said you are already working at Telnet, you can learn all you need to learn there. I as a person always advocate knowledge and not education.

For 86 years the Red Sox has been a loser, but they did not disband them, and last year they were able to win their first world series in 86 years!

It’s quite unfortunate that people that should have encouraged you are even adding to your sorrow.

My bros you can make it, if only you believe. Prayer alone won’t help, that’s one mistake people make. Your attitudes toward your situation determine how God will help you.

1 Like

Re: Fate of a Graduate with 3rd Class in Nigeria by otokx(m): 4:53pm On Aug 16, 2005
@ogunwale, upgrade ur konwledge with telnet, master the art of VSAT installation and troubleshooting, get some professional certification like MSCE, CCNA. During NYSC make contacts, and if u get jobs do them very well and the sky will be your limit.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Professor Okechukwu Ezeugwu Emerges As UNN New VC / Advice Needed, Is Kegite A Social Club Or Cult Group? / Basics Of Biology Drawings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.