Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,455 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

Picture Of Slums In The Usa - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (188287 Views)

Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 7:37pm On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

So according to you, these pics posted on the thread can be placed under what title different from being called a SLUM?

They are deprived and/or derelict areas.

They are not insalubrious to health like slums and have full amenities unlike slums.

They are just places where the poor live and are not that clean and are crime-ridden, even though developed.

They are more developed than a Nigerian village and most Nigerian villages are not slums.

A slum is what that UN definition I quoted states, even IF IT IS CRIME FREE. They are under-developed without basic amenities (no toilets, water etc), insalubrious, lack infrastructure, full with dirth poor people and are not planned constructions. They are crime free because there is nothing to steal.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 7:38pm On Aug 07, 2010
Neptunz:

why should do i show you  ? I expected you to be intelligent enough to remember what you said a couple of days back cuz your education is a waste if you can't. . .btw,the issue of festac is not the main appointment other than your blunder that the best streets in nigeria are in ikeja,vi and ikoyi. .will answer that for me now ?

You are a dimwit. I should show you what I did not say.

You are severely daft! Never in your life appraoch me and talk about school? Foolhardy slowpoke!
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 7:46pm On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

They are [b]deprived and/or derelict areas.[/b]

They are not insalubrious to health live slums and have full amenities unlike slums.

They are just places where the poor live and are not that clean and are crime-ridden, even though developed.

They are more developed than a Nigerian village and most Nigerian villages are not slums.

A slum is what that UN definition I quoted states, even IF IT IS CRIME FREE. They are under-developed without basic amenities (no toilets, water etc), insalubrious, lack infrastructure, full with dirth poor people and are not planned constructions. They are crime free because there is nothing to steal.

You need cane lol

can you please create your own UN so you can re-define your own slum? grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 7:48pm On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

You need cane lol

can you please create your own UN so you can re-define your own slum? grin grin grin

No.

That is what the UN definition itself said and why they said THERE ARE NO SLUMS IN USA.

So those are not slums.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

You live in Nigeria.

You are in Nigeria right now.

Show me a few streets in Nigeria that are better than that that are not in VI or Ikoyi or Ikeja. Take your time and research.

So

1) You can't find "slums" that look like third world slums in the USA pix to post.

2) The UN says there are no slums in the USA. Hence they (that know more than you) do not "tag and term those areas to be of same meaning".

3) I gave you the working definition of slum by the UN and your pix do not fit these definitiona.

Yet you are claiming these are SLUMS?

And I am the one having an Erektion? I am the one trying to twist the meaning of slum? Not you?

So what are you having? An ecclestical orgazim?
did you actually go to school ? Cuz this is what you specifically told honerico1;to go and make some research if there are streets that are better than those in vi,ikeja or ikoyi in NIGERIA.instead of you to admit your ignorance for even thinking/asking that the best streets in nigeria are in nigeria when i challenged,you resorted to insult.your level of reasoning baffles me. . .
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 7:50pm On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

No.

That is what the UN definition itself said and why they said THERE ARE NO SLUMS IN USA.

So those are not slums.

You have a problem, i can't continue going back and forth with you bro, if that definition didn't help you, then nothing else will cool tongue cheesy
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 7:52pm On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

You have a problem, i can't continue going back and forth with you bro, if that definition didn't help you, then nothing else will cool tongue cheesy

What problem?

Fault my statement.

Are you saying I lied the UN said there are no slums in USA?

This is serious self-deceit.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 7:54pm On Aug 07, 2010
Neptunz:

did you actually go to school ? Cuz this is what you specifically told honerico1;to go and make some research if there are streets that are better than those in vi,ikeja or ikoyi in NIGERIA.instead of you to admit your ignorance for even thinking/asking that the best streets in nigeria are in nigeria when i challenged,you resorted to insult.your level of reasoning baffles me. . .

You are surely a cretin.

Show me in what you quoted where I said Festac was one of the best parts on Nigeria.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

You are surely a cretin.

Show me in what you quoted where I said Festac was one of the best parts on Nigeria.
i don't know maybe to compare arguing with you with arguing with a deaf and dumb or with a wall that keeps echoing. . .quit whinning. . .your matter dey tire me jo.what i'm after is your comment on the comparison of the three places to have the best streets in nigeria and stop crying like a baby.is the question hard for you to answer ? Or google is not responding to your search ? Lwkmd
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 8:16pm On Aug 07, 2010
Neptunz:

i don't know maybe to compare arguing with you with arguing with a deaf and dumb or with a wall that keeps echoing. . .quit whinning. . .your matter dey tire me jo.what i'm after is your comment on the comparison of the three places to have the best streets in nigeria and stop crying like a baby.is the question hard for you to answer ? Or google is not responding to your search ? Lwkmd

I try not to engage with people that have no shame about their rubbish rants.

It is more sensible to deal with a guy that offends you and has some dignity than engage with someone that has none.

Why get in a gutter to rubbish someone that you see is already in and happy to be in a gutter. Waste of your efforts.

Your dim arse has already shamelessly used 2 strawmans, why waste my time arguing about a new point when you will shameless change topic again when cornered. Dimwit.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 8:22pm On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

What problem?

Fault my statement.

Are you saying I lied the UN said there are no slums in USA?

This is serious self-deceit.

lol, you want me to fault you? i don't have time for that, you mean UN is ready to post inaccurate information on their website? out of the same inaccurate website, you had time to pick the ones you felt (in your own way) is right just because it sounds correct to you and you still have the mouth to say UN might have posted some lies or inaccurate stuffs on their website?

Now, show me where UN said there are no slums in the USA

And one more thing, why do you think this part is inaccurate?

A slum, as defined by the United Nations agency UN-HABITAT, is a run-down area of a city characterized by substandard housing and squalor and lacking in tenure security. According to the United Nations, the proportion of urban dwellers living in slums decreased from 47 percent to 37 percent in the developing world between 1990 and 2005.[3] However, due to rising population, the number of slum dwellers is rising. One billion people worldwide live in slums[4] and the figure will likely grow to 2 billion by 2030.

and this part is accurate?

Here is the UN's definition of slum:

"A UN Expert Group recently recommended to policy makers and international bodies what they consider to be a more operational definition of a slum, one that is intended to enable better targeting of improvement programmes aimed primarily at resolving the physical and legal problems faced by slum dwellers. According to these experts, a slum is an area that combines to various extents the following characteristics:

• Inadequate access to safe water;
• Inadequate access to sanitation and other infrastructure;
Poor structural quality of housing;
• Overcrowding; and
Insecure residential status."

EVEN FROM THE PART YOU CHOSE TO BE ACCURATE (the ones i bolded) STILL BUTTRESS MY POINTS ABOUT THE PICS POSTED ON THIS THREAD.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

I try not to engage with people that have no shame about their rubbish rants.

It is more sensible to deal with a guy that offends you and has some dignity than engage with someone that has none.

Why get in a gutter to rubbish someone that you see is already in and happy to be in a gutter. Waste of your efforts.

Your dim arse has already shamelessly used 2 strawmans, why waste my time arguing about a new point when you will shameless change topic again when cornered. Dimwit.
abegi. . .you made a ridiculous claim and i ask you to substantiate it.is that much of a task for you? Mr sagamite
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 8:33pm On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

lol, you want me to fault you? i don't have time for that, you mean UN is ready to post inaccurate information on their website? out of the same inaccurate website, you had time to pick the ones you felt (in your own way) is right just because it sounds correct to you and you still have the mouth to say UN might have posted some lies or inaccurate stuffs on their website?

That is where we are different. I don't owe people to awe. Even though the UN is a reliable organisation, that does not mean when I see poo, I should be so awed not to be able to identify it.

When UN (made up of people, not gods) give and information and a SIMPLE TEST of that information shows it is faulty, then it is INACCURATE. Simples.

I filter everything that goes in my head. I could not help laughing when I saw that definition.

honeric01:

Now, show me where UN said there are no slums in the USA

Here. From the wikipedia page, NO SLUMS IN THE WEST:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slum

honeric01:

And one more thing, why do you think this part is inaccurate?

Because I applied his definition to Makoko and it failed. Whoever wrote that definition might work for UN but that was JUNK! He is not a God, I can say so.

honeric01:

A slum, as defined by the United Nations agency UN-HABITAT, is a run-down area of a city characterized by substandard housing and squalor and lacking in tenure security. According to the United Nations, the proportion of urban dwellers living in slums decreased from 47 percent to 37 percent in the developing world between 1990 and 2005.[3] However, due to rising population, the number of slum dwellers is rising. One billion people worldwide live in slums[4] and the figure will likely grow to 2 billion by 2030.

and this part is accurate?

Here is the UN's definition of slum:

"A UN Expert Group recently recommended to policy makers and international bodies what they consider to be a more operational definition of a slum, one that is intended to enable better targeting of improvement programmes aimed primarily at resolving the physical and legal problems faced by slum dwellers. According to these experts, a slum is an area that combines to various extents the following characteristics:

• Inadequate access to safe water;
• Overcrowding; and

EVEN FROM THE PART YOU CHOSE TO BE ACCURATE (the ones i bolded) STILL BUTTRESS MY POINTS ABOUT THE PICS POSTED ON THIS THREAD.

Explain to me how the house on the street you should had:

I wait.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 8:53pm On Aug 07, 2010
Sagamite:

That is where we are different. I don't owe people to awe. Even though the UN is a reliable organisation, that does not mean when I see poo, I should be so awed not to be able to identify it.

When UN (made up of people, not gods) give and information and a SIMPLE TEST of that information shows it is faulty, then it is INACCURATE. Simples.

I filter everything that goes in my head. I could not help laughing when I saw that definition.

Here. From the wikipedia page, NO SLUMS IN THE WEST:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slum

Because I applied his definition to Makoko and it failed. Whoever wrote that definition might work for UN but that was JUNK! He is not a God, I can say so.

Explain to me how the house on the street you should had:

I wait.

My last comment to you on this thread.

1: • Insecure residential status."
Did those houses look like a secured, organized houses to you? did these areas appear to be safe and secured to you as areas that should be in a 1st world country like the US? (their standard)

2:Inadequate access to sanitation and other infrastructure;
You saw the environment and the dirt around the surroundings, do you pass such sanitation and other infrastructures you saw on these pics as standards for a 1st world country like the US?

3: Poor structural quality of housing;
i hope you saw most of the houses in the pics, do you pass these houses as standard houses fit for a 1st world country like the US?

You obviously want me to accept the ridiculous chart (images) of their rating of where there are slums and where they are no slums? to you, the pics i posted, are they of standard quality in the US?

Did i make up the definition or they were the same one that wrote them?

Lastly YOU SAID THE UN KNOWS MORE THAN YOU, yet you claim what they wrote or have on their website is flawed? how can you flaw someone you don't have same knowledge with? you must know more than them in qualifying where is a slum and where is not a slum to handpick from their definitions.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 9:30pm On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

My last comment to you on this thread.

1: • Insecure residential status."
Did those houses look like a secured, organized houses to you? did these areas appear to be safe and secured to you as areas that should be in a 1st world country like the US? (their standard)

2:Inadequate access to sanitation and other infrastructure;
You saw the environment and the dirt around the surroundings, do you pass such sanitation and other infrastructures you saw on these pics as standards for a 1st world country like the US?

3: Poor structural quality of housing;
i hope you saw most of the houses in the pics, do you pass these houses as standard houses fit for a 1st world country like the US?

As I suspected, part of the core of the problem is your lack of understanding of the definition of the entries their.

1) When they say "Insecure residential status", they do not mean crime security or safe neighbourhoods as you portrayed it. Insecure residential status has the operative word "status" there. That means, by law, they are not legally suppose to have a residence there.

That does not apply to the dirty street you showed and called slum.

2) When they say Inadequate access to sanitation and other infrastructure, they mean lack of toilets, drainage, waste management, roads, electricity, gas etc. All those exist in the neighbourhood you called slum.

3) This one is just laughable. When they say Poor structural quality of housing, are you saying the houses built in those neighbourhoods are not structurally sound?  grin

A dirty house is structurally poor? My friend, they meant patch-up houses like those made of zinc or not planned for according to city plans. E.g. constructing a zinc house by Lagos Lagoon.

Another operative word of the UN definition that you keep missing is "area". It is a holistic look of the area, not a myopic look.

honeric01:

You obviously want me to accept the ridiculous chart (images) of their rating of where there are slums and where they are no slums? to you, the pics i posted, are they of standard quality in the US?

What is the quality standard of house in US?  grin

So the poorest, least rich area of Monaco, where a house will cost £600K is a slum because "they are not of standard quality in Monaco" where houses cost £2m?  grin

honeric01:

Did i make up the definition or they were the same one that wrote them?

They made a reasonable definition that you want to change to "dirty street is a slum as most streets in USA are clean".

No. It is a deprived area. Not a slum.

honeric01:

Lastly YOU SAID THE UN KNOWS MORE THAN YOU, yet you claim what they wrote or have on their website is flawed? how can you flaw someone you don't have same knowledge with? you must know more than them in qualifying where is a slum and where is not a slum to handpick from their definitions.

Because his storyline, not definition (the definition was clear and reasonable) does not pass a test on a Major slum like Makoko.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 9:51pm On Aug 07, 2010
Mr sagamite the twister, i am tired of trying to open a brick wall, you can keep deceiving yourself, twisting words when you want, that's your problem like i said, dilapidated houses can not be said to have all the amenities you claim these houses have.

one would think you live in these houses to have been so sure to say they all have these amenities, you need to work on your apprehension and with the way you think things work. undecided

you interpret words just to suit your own intentions, i pity you. sad

like i said before, that was my last comment to you and believe me, nothing else. cool

I can't continue pouring water inside a basket. tongue
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

Mr sagamite the twister, i am tired of trying to open a brick wall, you can keep deceiving yourself, twisting words when you want, that's your problem like i said, dilapidated houses can not be said to have all the amenities you claim these houses have.

one would think you live in these houses to have been so sure to say they all have these amenities, you need to work on your apprehension and with the way you think things work. undecided

you interpret words just to suit your own intentions, i pity you. sad

like i said before, that was my last comment to you and believe me, nothing else. cool

I can't continue pouring water inside a basket. tongue
why are you wasting your time to educate him ? ''
Someone that said the best streets in nigeria are in ikeja,vi and ikoyi'' !!!
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 10:18pm On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

I keep on banging it in, and yet, you still don't get it.

[size=24pt]AREA!!![/size]

Does the area lack the amenities?

Don't show me a dilapitated building and tell me USA have slums. They don't.

honeric01:

That will be a silly deducement.

It is well known for those that  have been to a western country that it is against  the law to even construct a building that lack those amenities. It is not Nigeria. The have plans and it is supervised.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 10:20pm On Aug 07, 2010
Neptunz:

why are you wasting your time to educate him ? ''
Someone that said the best streets in nigeria are in ikeja,vi and ikoyi'' !!!

I don't use to do this, but i think i have to give up on him, he sounds as if toilets are built on the streets and not in the houses.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 10:31pm On Aug 07, 2010
honeric01:

I don't use to do this, but i think i have to give up on him, he sounds as if toilets are built on the streets and not in the houses.

And you have evidence of houses that don't have toilets in the USA?

You think na Naija?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by mbekl: 11:09pm On Aug 07, 2010
I didn't compare any country with USA, the fact remains post is from a USA website I was like waoh! u mean even heaven got a ghetto? Tupac question has been answered at last.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by sage(m): 1:25am On Aug 08, 2010
The fact that after 10 pages people can only post a picture of a dirty house shocked and call it a slum just to console themselves that slums exist in the 1st world should have answered the issue cheesy grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 9:42am On Aug 08, 2010
sage:

The fact that after 10 pages people can only post a picture of a dirty house shocked and call it a slum just to console themselves that slums exist in the 1st world should have answered the issue cheesy grin

Abi o.

Even if they can get a pix of a western teenager's room that is not clean then dem don find slum.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Mbeki: 11:25am On Aug 12, 2010
When UN paints the developed world with grey color what do u expect? who are the UN? the only thing they see and have succeeded in making the developing world to believe is poverty and disease , so all their research and documentary centers on that. The developed world will always look for a bad report about others
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 11:48am On Aug 12, 2010
Mbeki:

When UN paints the developed world with grey color what do u expect? who are the UN? the only thing they see and have succeeded in making the developing world to believe is poverty and disease , so all their research and documentary centers on that. The developed world will always look for a bad report about others

Seat your arse in your nice middle-class/rich hood. Be ignorant to the poverty, disease and struggle to exist majority of your fellow Africans face that will cost a fraction to eliminate if a few are not just greedy.

Be wondering why UN is highlighting it because it does not affect you.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by roymary: 1:44am On Nov 27, 2010
There are slums in USA. I dunno why anyone who has been to America would argue on that. Personally, i didn't even believe my eyes. Big time slums!
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Julbabe: 9:56am On Dec 16, 2010
Wow, I can't believe some of the comments on this string. What is the point of deliberating on the definition and application of "slum?" My God, suffering is suffering, no matter where or who. Does it matter that there are people worst off in other countries? Tell a hungry child in Detroit that won't get any Christmas presents this year that he isn't suffering because he has running water where as some kid in Africa doesn't. I'm sure the kid will just jump for joy. You can't tell someone what they have the right to feel, you can't tell them that they don't have the right to feel deprived just b/c there is someone else worse off, who do you think you are?

I've known former, fellow students while in college who were from India whose families were very rich, much richer than my family in the US, who didn't give a crap about the poorer people in their country. Those who were fortunate or worked were well off, while those that weren't, weren't, it seemed that they thought, well they did something bad in a past life, so they deserve it, or something such. Of course there are better people that will give, but there are plenty that won't. Same as in the US.

Currently, I am living in Guangdong, China and I am so sick of hearing from people here that the US is so much richer and that we have such better lives. Certainly when I was living in the US I didn't have to work 6 days of the week, but I'll tell you, it was a lot more stressful! Here people help and support you in work, there isn't so much stress & not everything is do or die. You don't get fired or laid-off on a whim & the total general air of people is much more positive. Here the general attitude of business is almost "you can't go wrong, as long as you try," in the US its more "you'll fail no matter how hard you try." Furthermore, even though my income is far less than in the US (what I make here per hour would be illegal), I have much, much more spending money than I ever had in the US. Certainly over-population in China is a big detriment in regards to environment and buying a house, but it has huge benefits as well, in work availability and conveniences, such as public transportation. Because of lack of benefits, everyone works and therefore taxes are a lot smaller percentage.

Another thing, while I sympathize with the poor of the US, I also know that there are many people who take advantage of the system & peoples' sympathy. They take more benefits b/c of the lack of organization of them, they make false claims & ask for more. Can you blame people that work hard all their lives for not being mad at those that refuse to work, get on drugs, have many children that they won't take care despite the availability of preventative measures & then demand hand-outs? Some people refuse to help themselves. I feel sorriest for the children or grandparents that must take care of grandchildren or their own kids who refuse to take responsibility. Just b/c you didn't have a stellar life growing up doesn't mean you have to give the same or worse circumstances to your children; not everyone that now works & earns a paycheck had a great childhood, I certainly didn't & I am proud of what I've worked to accomplish.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Hmoura4: 2:06pm On Jul 20, 2011
Well, sounds to me that the number of slums will increase in CONUS, since the country has just collapsed, Too bad for us, toot bad, undecided undecided
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by doggyall: 6:54pm On Jan 09, 2012
dont worry be happy
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 4:43pm On Jan 12, 2012
Ah! One of the historical threads that showed honeric01's intellectual level. grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by travel11: 2:18am On Jan 18, 2012
let me make this clear,  there are no slums in USA, UK, Australia or any developed country. Because people don't live in them there might be 'not safe neighborhoods' and poor areas but people still live in proper housing which in developing countries this would be a higher middle class living. Poverty in developing countries lives in rubbish dumps, shanty home/shanty towns and slums which are all made up of makeshift housing and they don't have electricity or clean water.

Poverty in poor countries like India. People, families and children live in rubbish dumps, makeshift shanty homes on a roadside, slums and shanty towns. They are lucky to have one meal a day and very lucky to get clean water and India has the largest street children in the world. You can't compare the poverty in USA or any developed country to developing countries. There are poor places in USA and other developed countries but not as bad as developing countries these poor locations in USA would be top middle class compared to the extreme poverty in developing countries.

here is a photo of a typical shanty home on a roadside in India. This is how the extremely poor live in a developing country like India, you see children live a much more harsh life this is how this family lives.

Photo taken in[b] India[/b] on the outskirts of a small village town where there are hundreds of shanty homes where poor families live.

copyright to the photographer,

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Father0f2: 11:13am On Jan 21, 2012
Meanwhile this president is singing,

www.you      tube.com/watch?v=EGtImPa5ygw

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigeria has finished me!! / The Remaining States That Will Decide The Winner Of The Presidential Election / Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) military training (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.