Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,308 members, 7,780,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:51 PM

"Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari (19562 Views)

Naira Scarcity: You Have Endured Enough, Vote Out APC Now, Saraki To Nigerians / Now Saraki Has Lost, What Position Would He Hold In A Likely Atiku Govt? / Quit Politics Now – Saraki Advises Oshiomhole Over Corruption Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by PoliticsNigeria: 8:15pm On Dec 05, 2018
@POLITICSNGR

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki has advised President Muhammadu Buhari not to heed the advice of the anti-democratic elements who have now populated the political space and putting pressure on him not to give assent to the 2018 Electoral Bill.

PoliticsNGR gathered that Saraki in a statement in Ilorin today (Wednesday) signed by his Special Adviser (Media and Publicity), Yusuph Olaniyonu, urged the President to rise above petty politics and act without further delay in the best interest of the country and its democracy by signing the Electoral Bill into law.

Saraki noted that he had been inundated with telephone calls and discussions by members of the National Assembly who expressed concern about the delay in the signing into law of the Electoral Bill as the one month period provided by the law for the President to sign a bill presented to him by the National Assembly is about to expire in the next few days.

He added that many of the legislators who contacted him were particularly disturbed that certain individuals who are said to be chairmen of political parties had approached the Federal High Court to stop the President from assenting to the bill.

He noted that the jaded tactic employed in the 90s to scuttle the return to democracy when groups like the Association for Better Nigeria (ABN) went to court to frustrate the announcement of the results of the June 12, 1993 elections is now being adopted by some masked groups and individuals to stop the signing into law of the Electoral Bill.

He urged President Buhari to dissociate himself from these ugly antics and sign the bill which he said has comprehensively addressed issues that usually clog the process of free, fair, credible and peaceful elections.

“ It is the prerogative of the President to either sign a Bill into law or refuse it assent. He is free to exercise this prerogative the way he likes in this case. What I found surprising is a situation where some people now want to adopt a wrong tactic of abusing the court process to stall the matter. That will be unacceptable and I am sure our judiciary will rely on the lessons from the past and not allow itself to be used.

“We do not want the President to allow the setting of a bad precedent in which somebody will go to court in future to stop the passage of an appropriation bill or any essential law which will be important to the development of the country.

“My position remains that the President, his aides, the entire country and the international community are aware that all the concerns raised by the President on the past three occasions he withheld assent to the bill have been addressed by the legislature. We bent backwards on each occasion to accommodate the wishes of the President. We started work on this law since 2016 to prevent a situation where it would become part of the election controversies.

“Every sincere commentator, observer and analyst knows that what we have done with that bill is to raise the level of transparency, credibility and acceptability of our electoral process. We made sure that the law if assented to and honestly applied by INEC and all those concerned will give us an election that will be better than what we had in 2015.

“The President should know that the survival of democracy, its development and the future of Nigeria are far more important than the ambition of any individual or party. I am using this opportunity to call on President Muhammadu Buhari to put a stop to this uncertainty in the political process by signing without delay the 2018 Electoral Bill so as to allow INEC and the concerned parties know how to prepare for a credible process”, Saraki stated.

https://politicsngr.com/breaking-sign-electoral-bill-now-else-saraki-warns-president-buhari/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by madridguy(m): 8:16pm On Dec 05, 2018
Laughing in borokiri grin grin grin

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by sunnymix: 8:19pm On Dec 05, 2018
Why is bubu afraid to sign it

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by MrSix: 8:52pm On Dec 05, 2018
He's for everybody, yet for nobody.
Let him do what he does best...Naija in mind.

Need a Grade1 USA used Laptops?
What do you need? What's your location? Don't worry, you're covered.
Contact me for a deal today. Contact in signature
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by KanwuliaExtra: 8:55pm On Dec 05, 2018
IMPEACHMENT as CHRISTMAS PRESENT! grin

11 Likes

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by surgical: 9:00pm On Dec 05, 2018
sunnymix:
He is afraid of a free and fair election, he has rejected the bill for about 5times sighting some useless concern just to frustrate a free and fair election because he is aware of his unpopularity, the national assembly has through patience made it to this last correction which he must sign going to court through proxy using some useless political party will not work,we need free and fair election in the interest of the country

107 Likes 7 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Nobody: 9:14pm On Dec 05, 2018
Signing n or no signing Buhari and his Fulani/Hausa cohorts must be buted out of power come next year May.

Our PVCs is seriously Vibrating Patiently!

31 Likes

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by franchasng: 9:24pm On Dec 05, 2018
Is Buhari Truly Cloned or Being Doubled

Quote from an intelligent Nairaland clown.

The facts NwaAmaikpe raised here is the same facts i have continuously raised.

I may be wrong, but dear fellow Nigerians, please let's think and use our God given wisdom.

Aisha Buhari have done her best in using indirect approaches to tell Nigerians that it is no longer her husband that's in charge, this she has done over and over but we take it for granted
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

He was sick in the UK,
Even his wife was not allowed to see him.
Then he makes a surprise recovery which makes him younger, robust and shorter.

He remains out of the Aso Rock office because rats supposedly ate up all the furniture, but it is alleged that during this time, the biometric security apparatus in place were being overhauled.

Dude travels out for Global functions but photos prove he did not attend them.

He suddenly does not speak Fulfulde anymore. His grandkids and daughters don't take selfies with him again.
His wife now sits and walks miles apart from him. Her comments also sabotages his administration.

I just don't know what to believe.
Why should anyone listen to Apostle Suleiman's conjectured prophecies when a prophet lives in Nnamdi Kanu?

Maybe he is actually Buhari, maybe he is Jubrin.
But what do I know?

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Sirjamo: 9:25pm On Dec 05, 2018
sunnymix:
Why are they desperate for him to sign it?

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Racoon(m): 9:27pm On Dec 05, 2018
The electoral act that will guide the conduct of the 2019 election is what the president is toying with after 4 amendment?

-Use of card reader.No election will hold if the card reader fails to identify a voter.
-No incidence form will be used which have been a means of rigging in elections.
-Guranteed electronic transmission of results thereby preventing any room for manipulation.
-Legalized/confirms the order in which the elections will be conducted.
-Handling of legal/constitutional matters that will arise from the conduct of the election.

So it's imperative that the president signs the document now except if he truly wants to confirm again that his government is not ready for a credible election next year.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Jombom: 9:29pm On Dec 05, 2018
Can anyone image this bastard that takes over 9 -11 months to sign the national budget hurrying Buhari to sign an electoral bill of less than a month into law ?! Where some fools get the effrontery to make lunatic demand is beyon me.

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Jombom: 9:36pm On Dec 05, 2018
franchasng:
Is Buhari Truly Cloned or Being Doubled

Quote from an intelligent Nairaland clown.

The facts NwaAmaikpe raised here is the same facts i have continuously raised.

I may be wrong, but dear fellow Nigerians, please let's think and use our God given wisdom.

Aisha Buhari have done her best in using indirect approaches to tell Nigerians that it is no longer her husband that's in charge, this she has done over and over but we take it for granted
NwaAmaikpe post=73582845:
shocked

He was sick in the UK,
Even his wife was not allowed to see him.
Then he makes a surprise recovery which makes him younger, robust and shorter.

He remains out of the Aso Rock office because rats supposedly ate up all the furniture, but it is alleged that during this time, the biometric security apparatus in place were being overhauled.

Dude travels out for Global functions but photos prove he did not attend them.

He suddenly does not speak Fulfulde anymore. His grandkids and daughters don't take selfies with him again.
His wife now sits and walks miles apart from him. Her comments also sabotages his administration.

I just don't know what to believe.
Why should anyone listen to Apostle Suleiman's conjectured prophecies when a prophet lives in Nnamdi Kanu?

Maybe he is actually Buhari, maybe he is Jubrin.
But what do I know?
You need a brain check for quoting the dumbest ignotic bigot on NairaLand as intelligent.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by duwdu: 10:51pm On Dec 05, 2018
Saraki is just shouting on this issue for nothing. If he and his colleagues had honest intentions, they would have gotten the Bill off the ground way before this time.

In any case, the African Charter states that any law that will be used to conduct an election should be in place not later than six months before the election is scheduled to take place.

That's only fair, because all the preps and rules towards the election would then derive from the law. In this present case, most of the rules and preps and equipment provisions and associated budgets have been locked in based on the Law that was used for the 2015 elections, which elections and outcomes were adjudged fair by all sides.

So, why change the rules of a game in the middle of play? That should not be allowed in a proper democratic setting, and I belief that's the spirit behind that aspect of the African Charter on Elections I referred to earlier.

BTW, Mr. Falana (SAN) had supported this African Charter under reference, and had warned about the present lacuna, once it occurred to him the process for the conclusion of the new Bill would not be in place earlier than six months before February 12, 2019, or thereabout.

As things stand, the new Bill will have to wait to be used for elections that will be scheduled to hold not less than six months after it may have become Law.

P34c3

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by docadams: 11:06pm On Dec 05, 2018
duwdu:
Saraki is just shouting on this issue for nothing. If he and his colleagues had honest intentions, they would have gotten the Bill off the ground way before this time.

In any case, the African Charter states that any law that will be used to conduct an election should be in place not later than six months before the election is scheduled to take place.

That's only fair, because all the preps and rules towards the election would then derive from the law. In this case, most of the rules and preps and equipment provisions have been locked in based on the Law that was used for the 2015 elections, which elections and outcomes were adjudged fair by all sides.

So, why change the rules of a game in the middle of play? That should not be allowed in a proper democratic setting, and I belief that's the spirit behind that aspect of the African Charter on Elections I referred to earlier.

BTW, Mr. Falana (SAN) had supported this African Charter under reference, and had warned about the present lacuna, once it occurred to him the process for the conclusion of the new Bill would not be in place earlier than six months before February 12, 2019, or thereabout.

As things stand, the new Bill will have to wait to be used for elections that will be scheduled to hold not less than six months after it may have become Law.

P34c3

Good post
I am not surprised you are one of out of a few that had the patience to read with understanding the topic as well as relate it to extant laws. The COWNU CYCLOPS as usual did what they do best - display of absolute lack comprehension of the issue.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by ifyalways(f): 11:42pm On Dec 05, 2018
Whats this new electoral bill anyone please ?
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by NanoSec: 11:43pm On Dec 05, 2018
Eyawa
I missed my chance of writing FMN aptitude test.
Please, can you share the link to aptitude test to when you receive
Geexclusive4@gmail.com
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by globalresource: 11:44pm On Dec 05, 2018
He won't sign it

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by jomoh: 11:45pm On Dec 05, 2018
There must be something fundamentally wrong in that electoral bill for PDP, Saraki and his ilks to be hell bent on the presidents assent.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 05, 2018
I wish the real Buhari was around.

5 Likes

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by vioment: 11:46pm On Dec 05, 2018
What about a bill saying that a presido should not go to any foreign hospital for more than 2 days in his whole term. This should also extend to NASS and governors.

No be so the current presido dey form produce at home but him go hospital for another people country, he just in other words said, i don't trust nigeria and nigerian professionals.

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Denikayan: 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2018
Saraki is sick

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by mrkings84(m): 11:55pm On Dec 05, 2018
oga saraki, pls tell me the truth, is buhari still alive or not?

see, i wont tell anybody say na u tell me the truth

3 Likes

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by sanpipita(m): 11:56pm On Dec 05, 2018
What is jubril afraid of, I thought he said he has 12m votes already in North, sign the act jubril don't waste our time, the Back2Daura project is eagerly waiting in 2019.

5 Likes

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Boyooosa(m): 11:56pm On Dec 05, 2018
docadams:

Good post
I am not surprised you are one of out of a few that had the patience to read with understanding the topic as well as relate it to extant laws. The COWNU CYCLOPS as usual did what they do best - display of absolute lack comprehension of the issue.
Their intention is always one; confusing the confused. Sad!

10 Likes

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 06, 2018
PDP kwara mega rally cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Eruditor: 12:09am On Dec 06, 2018
Jombom:
Can anyone image this bastard that takes over 9 -11 months to sign the national budget hurrying Buhari to sign an electoral bill of less than a month into law ?! Where some fools get the effrontery to make lunatic demand is beyon me.

Funny enough, the bill In question was only recently revised and sent to PMB last week. The law says PMB has 30days to sign but they are pretentiously rushing him to create an atmosphere many may construe as PMB being unwilling to sign it. As if he is not allowed to read it before assenting to it.

A bill, these scandalous knaves tried to remove the card readers from the last time.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Felixv: 12:14am On Dec 06, 2018
Jombom:

saraki is nothing but a selfish man..

all he thinks about his himself

he is a clone of atiku

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by kidman96(m): 12:15am On Dec 06, 2018
undecidedw
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by HAH: 12:18am On Dec 06, 2018
The national Assembly should just override the president with 2/3 and make the electoral act law

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by yrex01(m): 12:20am On Dec 06, 2018
yemaldo:
PDP kwara mega rally cheesy
so na just d gathering they've been showing us. Well all z well !! Awon scammer !!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Hails Court Judgment On Its Kano Governorship Candidate / Court Voids Uche Nwosu’s Governorship Candidature In Imo / I Will Ensure Free And Fair Elections - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.