Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,737 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo (8616 Views)

Anxiety As Buhari Swears In Cabinet Wednesday / Jonathan To Drop Maku, 3 Others In Cabinet Reshuffle / Jonathan To Drop Orubebe, 3 Others In Cabinet Reshuffle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Nchara: 4:05pm On Jul 31, 2010
Fashola pledges to increase Igbo participation in cabinet
Font size:   Ambrose Nnaji 30/07/2010 13:20:00
Gov Fashola

THE Lagos State government under the administration of Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola has once again restated his resolve to give equal opportunities to the Igbo community to participate in the affairs of the state governance.

He has also re-assured his commitment to the safety and security of lives and property of indigenes and non-indigenes in the state.

He made this promise following a request by the Igbo political group in the Action Congress (AC) on the state government to increase the Igbo political slots in the cabinet both at the state and local government levels.

The governor made this known in his speech delivered during the inauguration ceremony of the Old Alimosho Chapter of the Igbo United Political Coalition, held at Igando-Ikotun Local Council Development Area Secretariat, Ikotun, Lagos at the weekend.

Represented by the Hon. Jino Ajaye, the governor, who stated that Igbo leadership in the state has contributed in no measurable way to the socio-economic growth of Lagos state, noted that in a true democratic setting, ethnic or political belief should not be a barrier to the smooth running of any government.

According to him, no meaningful economic development would be achieved in the state where rancour, kidnapping, ethnic and tribal sentiments were the order of the day.

"Politics is for all of us. The democracy we are witnessing today, the transformational changes, the developmental stages in the state were made possible because we are in true democratic period. Lagos State has now grown to a mega state because your contribution has been added to it. We are not doing it alone, we are doing it in conjunction with all your efforts," the governor said.

Meanwhile, the Igbo representation in the Lagos state cabinet has been commended by the state government. It would be recalled that the office of Budget and Planning has been occupied by Igbo born indigene since the Tinubu-Fashola administrations and has been described as one of the best, vibrant offices that has sparked off a lot of economic developments in the state.

While appealing to Lagosians to be law abiding and go about their businesses without fear or molestation, the governor assured that adequate security has been put in place to protect lives and property of the people.

In his address, the chairman, Igbo United Political Coalition Alimosho Local Government Area, Hon. Onuegbu Theophilus, who revealed that the group has already mapped out strategies to ensure that the Action Congress was voted back into office in the 2011 general elections, however, regretted that some members of the Igbo political coalition in Alimosho were denied registration in some LCDAs and wards during the 2007 general elections.

He said that some AC leaders in Alimosho saw the Igbo United Political Coalition as a rival group and threat to true democratic principles.

According to him, the influx of the group into the party was a magnanimous swell-up to the numerical strength of the party and an assurance of the South-East and South-South block vote for the Action Congress in the Lagos State.

He further decried the non representation of the Igbo Political Coalition since the inception of the present LCDA government in the six LCDAs in Alimosho.

"We have no Councillorship appointment, no Special Advisers appointment, no Senior Special Assistant appointment except in Igando-Ikotun LCDA," Onuegbu said.

Adding, our fair share of dividends of democracy both at state and local government levels including hajj/Jerusalem pilgrimage slots, Board Membership appointments have not been duly accorded to us.

Hon. Theophilus, who condemned personal interest and tribal sentiments in the running of any government, urged the party leaders to be fair and patriotic in the discharge of the dividends of democracy. Saying, in a democratic dispensation, everybody has the right to vote and be voted for.

"The Igbo United Political Coalition was part of the Lagos State Action Congress which came up in 2006. It was a coalition of many groups, forums, caucuses and fronts that sprang up to pull support for the Action congress during the campaign period of 2007 general elections", Onuegbu said.

"This coalition was structured with multiple tentacles that galvanized together non-Yoruba language speaking ethnic groups from Abia, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Delta, Bayelsa, Edo, Cross River, Ebonyi, Enugu Imo and Rivers States".

In Alimosho L.G.A. which comprises six local Council Development areas-(LCDA), Igbos have over 48 percent of the population while other ethnic groups from South-South geo-political zone consist about 22.6 percent of Alimosho population, he concluded.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by olabukola: 4:09pm On Jul 31, 2010
Nchara:

"This coalition was structured with multiple tentacles that galvanized together non-Yoruba language speaking ethnic groups from Abia, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Delta, Bayelsa, Edo, Cross River, Ebonyi, Enugu Imo and Rivers States".
This is biased where are the hausas and the middle belt.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by MaziUche0(m): 4:11pm On Jul 31, 2010
I have to give it up this man, Fashola knowns how build widespread support. My very own dream ticket would be Fashola as President and Amaechi as his VP. smiley
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 31, 2010
@ topic
igbo kwenu!
in fact lagos is 95% igbo.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 31, 2010
Squatters
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Abagworo(m): 5:00pm On Jul 31, 2010
and alimosho is the most populous local government area in nigeria.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by xterra2(m): 6:51pm On Jul 31, 2010
olabukola:

This is biased where are the hausas and the middle belt.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jul 31, 2010
This is bull poo!!! No tribal preference!!!!! Whoever can run it better should!!! Also Lagos is not 50% Igbo stop making up statistics. Yet people complain that when you go to Lagos they think everyone speaks Yoruba and start speaking Yoruba to you!!. Lagos is not culturally diverse but socially it is very very!!!. Thanks to Yoruba hospitality!!!! This post wasn't necessary anyways!!!

I see some cats here posting with we've conquered attitude. shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit don't stop!!
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Katsumoto: 7:03pm On Jul 31, 2010
9jaganja:

This is bull poo!!! No tribal preference!!!!! Whoever can run it better should!!! Also Lagos is not 50% Igbo stop making up statistics. Yet people complain that when you go to Lagos they think everyone speaks Yoruba and start speaking Yoruba to you!!. Lagos is not culturally diverse but socially it is very very!!!. Thanks to Yoruba hospitality!!!! This post wasn't necessary anyways!!!

Nchara, care to tell us how you came up with that figure?
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 31, 2010
ziddy:

@ topic
igbo kwenu!
in fact lagos is 95% igbo.

I laugh in ibo. We know Lagos is crawling with ibos, but that is not enough to make spurious claims.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by philip0906(m): 7:05pm On Jul 31, 2010
now all d yoruba dudes including those agberos who stalk hard working igbo spare parts dealers,computer village boys and alaba boys,(just name any main market 4 lag,na igbo get am) asking 4 owo ile,r now running their mouth,yarning dust about "yoruba hospitality". . .hmm
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jul 31, 2010
philip0906:

now all d yoruba dudes including those agberos who stalk hard working igbo spare parts dealers,computer village boys and alaba boys,(just name any main market 4 lag,na igbo get am) asking 4 owo ile,r now running their mouth,yarning dust about "yoruba hospitality". . .hmm

It happens to Yorubas as well, not just ibos.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by ikeyman00(m): 7:12pm On Jul 31, 2010
9janganja

I see some cats here posting with we've conquered attitude. shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit don't stop!!

nonesenseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

pure yerubo trait
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

Nchara, care to tell us how you came up with that figure?
from wiki,i guess
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by philip0906(m): 7:16pm On Jul 31, 2010
@ikeyman
d dude is already pissing in his pants grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Nchara: 7:44pm On Jul 31, 2010
50% is actually modest, may be something like 75% will do. If Igbo pop in Lagos is insignificant why should Fasola care? Igbo in Oyo is probably 0.00000000% of the population of Oyo, hence they are not an issue in Oyo politics.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by sjeezy8: 7:51pm On Jul 31, 2010
I actually laughed @ the 50% of lagos is igbo- so what is the other half of Lagos?
I mean I dont know why people like telling lies for what? thats annoying
anyways . . . . .

Yorubas are the single largest ethnic group in Lagos followed by igbos after which by Hausas-fulanis and Niger deltans

[size=16pt]Arewa in Lagos[/size]

Author: Date: Jul 23rd, 2010. | Category: Metro, News. | Follow comments: RSS 2.0. | You can leave a response below. |
[b]The chairman, Arewa United Group, a political group of northerners in the Lagos Action Congress, AC, Nigeria, Architect Kabir Ahmed has been speaking on why the group had always supported the Lagos State government’s policies.
Born and raised in Agege area of the state, the Chairman, Lagos State Planning and Environmental Monitoring authority, LASPEMA, spoke on his group’s agenda and why the National Assembly should enlist the 37 LCDAs in Lagos, among other issues. Excerpts:

What’s your political background in Lagos?
I started politics as far back as 1990. I contested for the position of vice chairman, Agege Local Government under the defunct National Republican Convention, NRC and lost. In 1996, I contested again under the umbrella of the defunct, UNCP as vice chairman to Hon. Enoch Ajiboso, the present Commissioner for Agriculture in Lagos State and we won.
In the advent of this fourth republic, I joined the Alliance for Democracy, AD, and I worked along with my kinsmen to ensure the election of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as governor then.

What elective post did you contest for then?
None. I played the role of a mobilizer and motivator of the Arewas in Lagos politics.

So, what was your role in Tinubu’s government?
I was appointed the chairman of the Lagos State Planning and Environmental Monitoring Authority, LASPEMA, a position I hold till date. I was appointed in 2002.

What has been the role of your Arewa United Group in Lagos politics, especially when you tilt towards Action Congress?
We have actually been carrying out a lot of activities politically to support the government and good people of Lagos State. For example when the late President Umaru Yar’Adua ordered that Governor Fashola should revert to 20 local governments and cancel the 37 LCDAS, we stood our ground against the decision at a press conference. We made the late President to know that we northerners in Lagos know better and we were aware of the enormous advantage of more local governments in Lagos.
Our stand was based on the fact that the newly created LCDAs have been able to stand the test of time and were duly constituted through the normal process in the State House of Assembly after referendum by the people. The president came out two days later to say that the state and the federal government would dialogue over the issue, and that was the end of the issue.
We contribute meaningfully to the development of Lagos State because our grand fathers and fathers were born here, we and our children were equally born here, we pay our taxes here.

What’s your present view on the Lagos Local government issue?
The 37 LCDAs have come to stay, all I will advise President Goodluck Jonathan to do is to tell the National Assembly to formalise them by listing them in Nigeria’s Constitution and empower them financially. Jonathan should toe the line of democracy.

How do you see the appointment of other tribes like Hausa, Igbo, etc into Lagos cabinet?
It is the policy of the Action Congress to detribalize governance by carrying everybody along, provided you can deliver. Moreso, we have a governor who is ready to carry everybody along regardless your religious or ethnic status. Even at local government level, Hausas and Igbos occupy councillorship, supervisory and Special Advisers positions. That’s the beauty of politics, to us Lagos is home, we cast our votes here with our wives despite being in purdah and our children.

In recent times, we learnt that there was problem within your group, what happened?
Every organization making progress must fifth columnists, not forgetting that the 2011 elections is around the corner, so they would do everything possible to destabilise you. Other parties are also prying on us, being the ruling party in the state, trying all tricks to wrest power from us. They can never succeed, Insha Allah.
I must ell you that the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, is trying to use some perennial motives to bring disunity among the Arewa group knowing that we give block votes to the Action Congress.
[/b]
You can imagine them going to the extent of involving the Boko Haram group from Ketu-Mile 12 market to invade our meeting to create disharmony. I’m using this opportunity to implore the state government to keep serious watch in terms of security.

Are you saying Boko Haram people are in Lagos?
Yes, there are synopsis of such. These fifth columnists, I told you about have been discovered to be the ones behind the food scarcity in Lagos by instigating those in the trade to go on strike on flimsy excuses.

But they called off the strike?
Yes, it was due to the efforts of good Arewa leaders in the affected markets. People like Alhaji Dandama, Alhaji Mamuda and Alhaji Haruna in Ketu-Mile 12 Market; Alhaji Gagare Moh’d in Ojo-Alaba and Alhaji’s Sule Yaro and Rabiu Wagagu in Oko-Oba abattoir.

So who are the members of the Arewa group?
It comprises Hausas, Fulanis, Kanuris, Nupes, Tapas, Ibiras and other northerners based in Lagos.

Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by MaziUche0(m): 7:55pm On Jul 31, 2010
Each day, I am starting to see a united Southern Nigeria as more feasible than anything else. As much as people do not want to admit it, the Yoruba need the Igbo and the Igbo need the Yorubas. Many people form each respective group may hate the other, but the fact in the matter is that we need each other.

I see a day when the Igbo and the Yoruba will form one single group just like the Hausa-Fulani. It will be like the Igbo-Yoruba.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by sjeezy8: 7:57pm On Jul 31, 2010
MaziUche0:

Each day, I am starting to see a united Southern Nigeria as more feasible than anything else. As much as people do not want to admit it, the Yoruba need the Igbo and the Igbo need the Yorubas. Many people form each respective group may hate the other, but the fact in the matter is that we need each other.

I see a day when the Igbo and the Yoruba will form one single group just like the Hausa-Fulani. It will be like the Igbo-Yoruba.

Olorun maje-
God forbid- unless igbo people change into muslims and marry hausas, we aint got nothing in common homie.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by spikedcylinder: 8:01pm On Jul 31, 2010
Are the Igbo Governors and other Igbo law makers going to take a cue? i.e include a higher members of other tribes in their cabinet shuffling? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by MaziUche0(m): 8:01pm On Jul 31, 2010
sjeezy8:

Olorun maje-
God forbid- unless igbo people change into muslims and marry hausas, we aint got nothing in common homie.

I say God forbid as well, but the way things are looking, Igbos are marrying Yorubas in large numbers. My elder brother is engaged to a Yoruba woman to the horror of my family.

Why should Igbos change into Muslims for that to happen? Yorubas already have enough Christians. Heck, I can see we can add to your Christian population, no offense to moderate Yoruba Muslims.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Katsumoto: 8:05pm On Jul 31, 2010
sjeezy8:

Olorun maje-

Why do you debate in this manner? What has changing into muslims and marrying hausas got to do with this? Are all Yorubas muslims? Or are most yorubas married to hausa?

Why can't each group respect the differences it has with the other groups? Must they change into what you are before you accept them?
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 8:06pm On Jul 31, 2010
Haba, Igbo cannot be 50%. I think Igbos are aroung 25% to 35%. If they are 50% then it means the yorubas are less than 50% because you also have other minorities.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by ezeagu(m): 8:08pm On Jul 31, 2010
MaziUche0:

I don't see it, or maybe you're experimenting. Yoruba people hold their culture more dearly than any other in Nigeria and will not, and cannot, let go of or compromise their culture. There's more chance of the Yoruba people joining the Republic of Benin.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by MaziUche0(m): 8:08pm On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

Why do you debate in this manner? What has changing into muslims and marrying hausas got to do with this? Are all Yorubas muslims? Or are most yorubas married to hausa?

I wonder that as well. Tribal debates is one thing, but religious debates is a more serious matter. I try to stay far away from religious debates than anything.

If two people love each other though, it should not matter what religion they are.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by MaziUche0(m): 8:11pm On Jul 31, 2010
ezeagu:

I don't see it, or maybe you're experimenting. Yoruba people hold their culture more dearly than any other in Nigeria and will not and cannot let go of or compromise their culture. There's more chance of the Yoruba people joining the Republic of Benin.

I understand what you are saying, but we already see this Igbo/Yoruba hybrids walking around. Give it 3 centuries if Nigeria remains one and the lines, between Yoruba and Igbo will be blurred.

However, if there is no more Nigeria, than I feel the East will be become more Igbo and the smaller minority groups would cease to exist. It is a sad truth, but through the annals of time, whoever have the numbers will one day swallow up the minorities.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 8:11pm On Jul 31, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Are the Igbo Governors and other Igbo law makers going to take a cue? i.e include a higher members of other tribes in their cabinet shuffling? undecided undecided undecided

Stop thinking through your anus. Igbos form an overwhelming majority in the east unlike Lagos. Though it won't be a bad idea to have other tribes in their cabinet as long as it's relative to population of the minorities.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Katsumoto: 8:12pm On Jul 31, 2010
ezeagu:

I don't see it, or maybe you're experimenting. Yoruba people hold their culture more dearly than any other in Nigeria and will not and cannot let go of or compromise their culture. There's more chance of the Yoruba people joining the Republic of Benin.

Each group has its culture and there should be tolerance. I love my culture and I expect others to love theirs as well. That I love mine does not mean that you have to let go of any part of yours. I can celebrate my culture and celebrate yours with you. Diversity increases lives.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by sjeezy8: 8:13pm On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

Why can't each group respect the differences it has with the other groups? Must they change into what you are before you accept them?

yea because both ethnic groups(hausas and igbos) dont respect eachother religions or ways of life and we know yorubas arent all muslims but only ethnic groups with demographic similar to yorubas can respect that. example Edos,

Im not against Lagos being diverse I dont care but it can NEVER be an yoruba-igbo only thing. It can only be
yoruba-igbo- hausas- edo urhobo ijaw etc . . .  comprising of muslims and christians living amongst eachother.
and it can never be southern unity because 1/5 of yorubas are in the north up to bida, Niger state.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 8:17pm On Jul 31, 2010
It will be very difficult for Igbos and Yorubas to form an alliance. The two groups don't trust each other.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by sjeezy8: 8:17pm On Jul 31, 2010
In yorubaland- you cant have hausas burn down a church OR igbos burn down a mosque anytime there is religous koto koto NO.
Re: Fasola To Swell Igbo Rank In Cabinet-long Overdue Good, 50% Of Lagos Is Igbo by ezeagu(m): 8:17pm On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

Each group has its culture and there should be tolerance. I love my culture and I expect others to love theirs as well. That I love mine does not mean that you have to let go of any part of yours. I can celebrate my culture and celebrate yours with you. Diversity increases lives.

Yeah, but you talked about the two cultures joining. You don't have to be joined together to respect each other, plus it's a bit pretentious (not you). Just 'tolerate' each other and don't do anything/say anything to others that you would not like to receive. No one is going on a cultural suicide mission any time soon unless some dictator comes and rearranges people's homes. Nigeria will come an go, Nigerians come and go, Yoruba and Igbo will still be Yoruba and Igbo forever and have been for more than 2000 years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Britain May Bar Corrupt Politicians’ Children From British Schools / 14-yr-old With Brain-Cancer Asks Obi For Help / Newly Born Baby Looks Like Old Man, Mother Refuses To Feed (photos) Igberetv.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.