Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,292 members, 7,807,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? (2805 Views)

Niger Republic President Campaigns With Buhari's Photo / Boko Haram: Nigeria And Neighbours Chad, Cameroon And Niger Celebrate Victories / Drama As Tambuwal Joins Federal Republic Of Nigeria Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by jmoore(m): 6:41pm On Jul 31, 2010
I know it is still too early for most people to accept this decision but I think It will be good if Nigeria and Niger republic join as one country.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by chyz(m): 6:43pm On Jul 31, 2010
If northern nigeria joins niger it would be great

1 Like

Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by Acidosis(m): 7:02pm On Jul 31, 2010
jmoore:

I know it is still too early for most people to accept this decision but I think It will be good if Nigeria and Niger republic join as one country.
jmoore
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by jmoore(m): 7:21pm On Jul 31, 2010
I knew u guys will crucify me. Can we drop tribal sentiments. I am igbo, chukwujekwu by name, so I am talking from a different perspective. Nigeria and Niger should join as one country
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by KnowAll(m): 7:33pm On Jul 31, 2010
[size=14pt]As long as we bring the Yoruba's in Benin Republic and the Efiks in Cameroon into our fold no shaking, otherwise no deal.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by MaziUche0(m): 7:44pm On Jul 31, 2010
I would not support this unless like the previous person said, if the the Yorubas of Benin are allowed to join Nigeria and my Efik cousins in Cameroon can join us in Nigeria. All of Western Cameroon I should add should be part of Eastern Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by jmoore(m): 7:47pm On Jul 31, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]As long as we bring the Yoruba's in Benin Republic and the Efiks in Cameroon into our fold no shaking, otherwise no deal.[/size]
I meant joining and not bringing in. What is the percentage of yorubas in Benin Republic?. I do not think yorubas are the largest ethnic group there, correct me if I am wrong. What is the percentage of Efiks in Cameroun? Few. Hausa is the largest ethnic group in Niger republic, so if they vote that they should unite with Nigeria then there is a possibility.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by MaziUche0(m): 7:48pm On Jul 31, 2010
jmoore,

Why not create their own nation? I feel these African borders are senseless. They speak the same language, but they are sometimes forced to converse in European languages. Hausaland should be united. The same goes for the Yorubas living in Benin and the Efiks and other Ibibio groups living in Cameroon.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by Katsumoto: 7:49pm On Jul 31, 2010
Why don't you tell us what is to be gained by merging Nigeria and Niger. I believe your idea is not only feasible also silly.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by MaziUche0(m): 7:51pm On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

Why don't you tell us what is to be gained by merging Nigeria and Niger. I believe your idea is not only feasible also silly.

These borders are not feasible. However, if we must keep these borders, I do not think we should be adding more hungry people into Nigeria. Niger is known to suffer from a lot of droughts and would be a drain to our national coffers. We already have to worry about politicians. And we all know numbers matter in Nigeria.

Plus, there is an insurgency in Niger led by the Tuareg who want their own nation.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by chyz(m): 7:53pm On Jul 31, 2010
jmoore:

I meant joining and not bringing in. What is the percentage of yorubas in Benin Republic?. I do not think yorubas are the largest ethnic group there, correct me if I am wrong. What is the percentage of Efiks in Cameroun? Few.   Hausa is the largest ethnic group in Niger republic, so if they vote that they should unite with Nigeria then there is a possibility.

Yoruba are the single largest ethnic group in Benin Republic. What is you point in nigeria joining Niger? Why not cameroon or Benin Republic?

1 Like

Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by Katsumoto: 7:53pm On Jul 31, 2010
MaziUche0:

These borders are not feasible. However, if we must keep these borders, I do not think we should be adding more hungry people into Nigeria. Niger is known to suffer from a lot of droughts and would be a drain to our national coffers. We already have to worry about politicians. And we all know numbers matter in Nigeria.

Plus, there is an insurgency in Niger led by the Tuareg who want their own nation. 

Correct, thats why I want the chap to tell us what is to be gained. Niger has nothing to offer Nigeria. Nigeria is still particularly unstable, what is the point of merging with another unstable country?
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by MaziUche0(m): 7:56pm On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

Correct, thats why I want the chap to tell us what is to be gained. Niger has nothing to offer Nigeria. Nigeria is still particularly unstable, what is the point of merging with another unstable country?

Well to play the Devil's advocate, Niger does have Uranium. It would seem like nations with nuclear weapons are given more respect in this international system. This is something that could be gained and manpower.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by Katsumoto: 8:01pm On Jul 31, 2010
MaziUche0:

Well to play the Devil's advocate, Niger does have Uranium. It would seem like nations with nuclear weapons are given more respect in this international system. This is something that could be gained and manpower.

Will uranium feed those that are starving? India and pakistan both have nuclear weapons and both have millions of people in abject poverty. I will care about uranium when all Nigerians are living above the poverty line.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by MaziUche0(m): 8:04pm On Jul 31, 2010
Katsumoto:

Will uranium feed those that are starving? India and pakistan both have nuclear weapons and both have millions of people in abject poverty. I will care about uranium when all Nigerians are living above the poverty line.

Well that would be idealistic view, but you see that Western powers respect nations with nuclear power/weapons. India does have a lot of impoverished people, but they are a rising power.

With military strength, we could gain advantages in trade deals and so forth. Plus, if Nigeria is to remain one, we could be a hegemon on the continent of Africa.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by ezeagu(m): 8:13pm On Jul 31, 2010
Efik and Ibibio don't have native lands in Cameroon, it is the Ekoi and other smaller groups, but anyway they're nearly all the same.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by Afam4eva(m): 8:19pm On Jul 31, 2010
@jmoore aka chukwujekwu

God punish you for suggesting such. We southerners have not finish handling the hausas then it's Niger. You want kill us?
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by MaziUche0(m): 8:38pm On Jul 31, 2010
ezeagu:

Efik and Ibibio don't have native lands in Cameroon, it is the Ekoi and other smaller groups, but anyway they're nearly all the same.

I have Aro family members that have resided in Cameroon for over 200 years. I am pretty sure Ibibios can be found in Cameroon as well. Ejagham is an interesting language though. I can understand parts of it, like Ibibios know God as Abasi while in Ejagham, it is known as Obasi.

The similarities of the languages cannot be understated. Just like Igbo and Ekpeye.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by ezeagu(m): 8:40pm On Jul 31, 2010
MaziUche0:

I have Aro family members that have resided in Cameroon for over 200 years. I am pretty sure Ibibios can be found in Cameroon as well. Ejagham is an interesting language though. I can understand parts of it, like Ibibios know God as Abasi while in Ejagham, it is known as Obasi.

The similarities of the languages cannot be understated. Just like Igbo and Ekpeye.

I meant native as in where they are established, not colonies, otherwise national boundaries would not be an issue. I'm sure all those Cross River language are very similar, the similarity probably stretches well into Cameroon.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by KnowAll(m): 8:54pm On Jul 31, 2010
[size=14pt]The Anglo Cameroonians made a mistake with that refrendum in 1961, I speak to a lot of them and all is not well between the french and the English speaking parts. The french rule the roost, why in most cases the Anglo's speak both languages fluently the french are so stuck up and would not make enough attempt to speak English.

I think what made them vote in favour of that refrendum in 1961 was the fear of the majority tribe in Eastern Nigeria then, they felt they would be overwhealmed and their voices would be drowned and not be heard. If they had stayed until 1967 when states were created they would have gotten their own states and some semblance of devolution and reprensentation, I know a lot of younger English speakers regret the follies of the past generation but then it was the prevailing tribal politics played in Nigeria at the time, politics without decorum that made them fear, I don't blame them thus, the rest as they say is history[/size] embarassed
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by mamagee3(f): 11:45pm On Jul 31, 2010
That's outrageous. . .

I don't see that happening, i can't even imagine it happening.
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 31, 2010
Poster
why should nigeria join niger ?
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by becomrich3: 12:07am On Aug 01, 2010
God forbit bad thing. Tufepa. NEVER.

We call for civil war. Only this is acceptable to the Yoruba,edo,delta people. You remove us to Benin republic, while you join the niger and nigeria.

Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by ezeagu(m): 12:34am On Aug 01, 2010
Becomrich are you Yoruba?
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by Nobody: 12:42am On Aug 01, 2010
becomrich3:

God forbit bad thing. Tufepa. NEVER.

We call for civil war. Only this is acceptable to the Yoruba,edo,delta people. You remove us to Benin republic, while you join the niger and nigeria.

and why would yoruba want to join niger,are we related ?
Re: Federal Republic Of Nigeria And Niger Republic To Join As One Country? by ezeagu(m): 12:46am On Aug 01, 2010
You're related to Benin [size=4pt]go![/size] grin

(1) (Reply)

Fayemi Will Probe Segun Oni, Reveals 8 Point Agenda / Yorubas Did Not Vote For GEJ, Igbos Did / NEW !!! APC Finally Reveals Date For Release Of Ministerial List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.