Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,453 members, 7,808,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! (46261 Views)

Pic: Little Girl Who Was Badly Burnt During Boko Haram Attack To Get Plastic Sur / How I Was Badly Treated After A Near Death Experience In An Ex-ministers Hotel / I'm Not Corrupt, I Pleaded Guilty To Save Nigeria's Image – Ibori (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by SweetT1: 10:55pm On Apr 13, 2007
Did anybody see oprah winfrey's show today? Nigerians and Lagos was paint in dark today. They showed how Nigerian boys are doing all kinds of dating and online scams at the cyber cafes all over Nigeria ! And most of these fraudsters are ibo names. CNN also ran the same kind of program in recent months. Why are Nigerians so damn greedy, especially the ibo boys !!! They make me sick with all these negative attention to Nigeria. An ibo boy in houston, TX was arrested in his house with $500,000 cold cash in his house. Money he got from doing credit card fraud and internet fraud. Can you imagine This is one of the reasons i hate some Nigerians in the western world. They go back to Nigeria and pretend as if they work at the world bank. Ill-gotten wealth !!!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by debosky(m): 10:57pm On Apr 13, 2007
another Igbo basher, una no dey tire??
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by SweetT1: 11:02pm On Apr 13, 2007
@dobsky
I'm not an ibo bashers, if you have access to internet, go to abc news, CNN, and other websites and see for yourself !! They even showed Fred Ajudua's house. Most of the names shown are ibo boys. The fact is that ibo boys are too dang greedy and they put Nigeria's image in a terrible shape. I don't care if you are ibo or not but the fact is that if you know any Nigerian doing illegal and shady business, your duty is to report him to the authorities and let's take our country back NOW !!!!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by cheexy: 11:04pm On Apr 13, 2007
It makes me sick too but i kinda frown at the emphasis on ibo boys. For the fact that few ibo boys were caught doesn't mean that the ibos are the only tribe that engage in "yahoo-yahoo".

The trend has eaten deep into every tribe and we should all work hand in hand as a nation to restore moral values that have been eaten up by the craze for material wealth. Let us educate the younger generation about the importance of a good name and this country would change for the better.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 4Play(m): 11:05pm On Apr 13, 2007
Sweet T:

@dobsky
I'm not an ibo bashers, if you have access to internet, go to abc news, CNN, and other websites and see for yourself !! They even showed Fred Ajudua's house. Most of the names shown are ibo boys. The fact is that ibo boys are too dang greedy and they put Nigeria's image in a terrible shape. I don't care if you are ibo or not but the fact is that if you know any Nigerian doing illegal and shady business, your duty is to report him to the authorities and let's take our country back NOW !!!!

I agree!These Igbo people are shaming Nigeria with their criminal dealings.Their greed is unparrelleled and has led them to become Nigeria's top purveyors of criminality  sad
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by monshege: 11:14pm On Apr 13, 2007
great, blame it on the igbo man lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by cheexy: 11:18pm On Apr 13, 2007
@4 play and Sweet T,
I do not think that any of us is less than 18 years so i expect a certain level of maturity when dealing with an issue as sensitive as this. How would you feel if somone from somewhere mentioned your surname and said that everyone in your family was a fraudster and you know that you and probably people from your immediate family are not fraudsters and you frown at fraud in general or if you were walking on the streets of London and some white chic says "smelling black people" and you know that deep in your heart, you don't stink cos you are wearing a hot cologne or perfume. Would you like it?

The deed is done and will continue being done if we don't sit down like mature intelligent individuals we are and look for a solution to this nagging problem instead of casting stones until someone's head gets broken in the process cos in the end, all that matters is that we are all black and more importantly, all Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by monshege: 11:21pm On Apr 13, 2007
cheexy:

@4 play and Sweet T,
I do not think that any of us is less than 18 years so i expect a certain level of maturity when dealing with an issue as sensitive as this. How would you feel if somone from somewhere mentioned your surname and said that everyone in your family was a fraudster and you know that you and probably people from your immediate family are not fraudsters and you frown at fraud in general or if you were walking on the streets of London and some white chic says "smelling black people" and you know that deep in your heart, you don't stink because you are wearing a hot cologne or perfume. Would you like it?

The deed is done and will continue being done if we don't sit down like mature intelligent individuals we are and look for a solution to this nagging problem instead of casting stones until someone's head gets broken in the process because in the end, all that matters is that we are all black and more importantly, all Nigerians.

thank you jare, this same situation has been aired by CNN, ABC, Fox, (to mention but a few), and each segment has different people it portrays. you dont go about pointing fingers, like thats gonna solve any issues. and here we go saying we are being discriminated upon as blacks, whereas the main discrimination sits in between our two legs.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by IBDat(m): 11:24pm On Apr 13, 2007
The fact remains that YES Nigerians in general are fraudsters, but Igbos do theirs on a more grandure scale such as the hundreds of thousands, millions, kidnappings and murder - these are the stories that capture the media interests and in essence paint Nigerians in a bad image abroad and even within Africa.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by monshege: 11:26pm On Apr 13, 2007
if you are gonna do something, why do it small, you might as well do it in style. whether you do a lil fraud or big fraud, at the end of the day, its still fraud.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 4Play(m): 11:29pm On Apr 13, 2007
IBDat:

The fact remains that YES Nigerians in general are fraudsters, but Igbos do theirs on a more grandure scale such as the hundreds of thousands, millions, kidnappings and murder - these are the stories that capture the media interests and in essence paint Nigerians in a bad image abroad and even within Africa.

True,true  sad We shouldn't pretend that incidents of criminality are broadly consistent across various ethnic groups.Some ethnic groups are more prone to criminality than the rest and the Igbos are a prime example
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by debosky(m): 11:31pm On Apr 13, 2007
Rubbish, 'ibo boys like money too much, ibo boys are too greedy' those are tribal stereotypes, and are very wrong. but that is what laces each and every one of your posts. stop maligning the tribe due to a few foolish ones. when they bring out videos of yoruba dudes doing the same like on ABC what did you say then?

the issue is that Nigerians are involved, don't make it into an Igbo thing. angry

PS I am not Igbo.

@ 4play am I hearing you right?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by maxell(f): 11:33pm On Apr 13, 2007
People lets leave the tribes out of this. The Nigerians on the oprah show could have been from any where, this is just side tracking the issue at hand.

When are our young men going to stop spoiling our precious Nigerian name ? Is it a must that we succumb to anything just to be a millionaire at 22/23 years old ?  Please lets focus on the main issue here abeg.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 4Play(m): 11:37pm On Apr 13, 2007
debosky:

@ 4play am I hearing you right?

The truth needs to be told sometimes.It is true that Nigeria as a whole has  a high rate of delinquency but there is no point pretending its frequency does not vary across the different ethnicities.

It is well known that the Igbos are a greedy and money obsessed tribe.This character drives them to commit crime way beyond that of others
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by monshege: 11:38pm On Apr 13, 2007
4 Play:

The truth needs to be told sometimes.It is true that Nigeria as a whole has a high rate of delinquency but there is no point pretending its frequency does not vary across the different ethnicities.

It is well known that the Igbos are a greedy and money obsessed tribe.This character drives them to commit crime way beyond that of others

hmmm!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by cheexy: 11:45pm On Apr 13, 2007
Monshege and 4 play, 4play?, and your points are, ? lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by edygirl(f): 11:46pm On Apr 13, 2007
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by IBDat(m): 11:47pm On Apr 13, 2007
@monshege - yes we do need to focus on the main issue, but at the same time we need to tackle the problem from the roots. If you take on the big timers you send a message to the up n comings, n at the same time the media interest not only dwindles but can be spurn as a positive. N those big timers are?
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 4Play(m): 11:48pm On Apr 13, 2007
IBDat:

@monshege - yes we do need to focus on the main issue, but at the same time we need to tackle the problem from the roots. If you take on the big timers you send a message to the up n comings, n at the same time the media interest not only dwindles but can be spurn as a positive. N those big timers are?

Igbos!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by adeboo(f): 11:48pm On Apr 13, 2007
I dont think its about bashing anybody.

The truth of the matter is that - its nothing new.

All am gonna say is we as individuals should keep the nija banner flying and do the best we can to do rite. There are still some good Nijas out there and unfortunately the press only seem to concentrate on the worst.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by Genial(m): 11:55pm On Apr 13, 2007
4 Play:

The truth needs to be told sometimes.It is true that Nigeria as a whole has a high rate of delinquency but there is no point pretending its frequency does not vary across the different ethnicities.

IBDat:

4 Play:

Igbos!

I agree. In Nigeria, Igbos looted the treasury and made the nation bankrupt. All the mob bosses and warlords in Nigeria are Igbos. The former Nigerian IG was an Igbo man. All the yahoo boys are Igbo. All the African fraudsters and con-men featured on ABC, CNN and Oprah's shows are Igbo. Igbos caused the 911 bombing. Igbos caused the 7/7 bombings. Igbos caused the war in Iraq. This is a no-brainer, really.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 11:56pm On Apr 13, 2007
y must u say igbos, dats not nice at all, do u no if d guy is really igbo, or is it cos he said so.stop sayin d igbos its a very nasty tin to say
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by 4Play(m): 11:57pm On Apr 13, 2007
Genial:

I agree. In Nigeria, Igbos looted the treasury and made the nation bankrupt. All the mob bosses and warlords in Nigeria are Igbos. The former Nigerian IG was an Igbo man. All the yahoo boys are Igbo. All the African fraudsters and con-men featured on ABC, CNN and Oprah's shows are Igbo. Igbos caused the 911 bombing. Igbos caused the 7/7 bombings. Igbos caused the war in Iraq. This is a no-brainer, really.

They don't want to hear the truth .These wicked Igbo people.See how they have turned Nigeria into one of the poorest and most criminally infested places on earth cry
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 11:58pm On Apr 13, 2007
all d yahoo boys are not igbos, mr i too no.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by maxell(f): 11:59pm On Apr 13, 2007
@topic should never have mentioned igbos in the first place. Now look at the thread he started.
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by ikamefa(f): 12:00am On Apr 14, 2007
Genial:

"  grin "  kiss wink

4 Play:

They don't want to hear the truth .These wicked Igbo people.See how they have turned Nigeria into one of the poorest and most criminally infested places on earth cry

grin LMAO! 4-play yah need to shut -up!
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 12:01am On Apr 14, 2007
too bad dat we still have dis tribal ting in nigeria.its a big pity
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by maxell(f): 12:02am On Apr 14, 2007
anabell:

too bad that we still have this tribal ting in nigeria.its a big pity

It is even more pronounced on Nairaland. it really is a pity
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by OmoEko1(f): 12:03am On Apr 14, 2007
4 Play:

Well 4play why are u disowning your own people now, U ARE ALSO IGBO wink wink
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by anabell(f): 12:03am On Apr 14, 2007
igbos haters,u guys should get a life
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by ikamefa(f): 12:04am On Apr 14, 2007
Omo Eko:

Well 4play why are u disowning your own people now, U ARE ALSO IGBO wink wink

he's just playing the devils' lucifers' advocate! cheesy
Re: Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! by IBDat(m): 12:05am On Apr 14, 2007
anabell:

too bad that we still have this tribal ting in nigeria.its a big pity
Don't confuse am it's not a tribal bashing here it's just statements of cold hard facts - you say u know that all the yahoo boys no be Igbos, if so of all the ones you know which tribe they do am on a higher level - IGBOs! We're just saying that the buck should start there, mak dem tone am down and pull down them trousers!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26)

Shekau Vows To Attack Emir Sanusi Of Kano Over Self-Defense Advice / Gov Soludo Receives Ned Okonkwo, E-money, Kcee And Cubana / Buhari Showing Theresa May The Way (Caption Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.