Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman (1567 Views)

Review Of Elnathan John's Debut Novel: Born On A Tuesday / Free A Heart To Mend - #1 Bestseller On Kindle / An Intro Into A Novel "a One Night Stand" By Lanre Malik (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by MyneWhite1(f): 5:30am On Aug 01, 2010
Released in December 2009, the novel which started life as a series of excerpts shared on the author's blog has brought only accolades in its wake.
Since its release, A Heart to Mend has appeared in the top twenty West African Books on the Amazon Kindle Bestseller list. Reports from the publisher Authorhouse, confirm the great reception the book has got so far in terms of sales. The novel also was recently selected by The New African Woman July Issue as one of the Summer Must-reads alongside The Long Song by Andrea Levy and The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna.

In June 2010, the author won four awards at the Nigerian Blog Awards including Nigerian Blog of the Year, Best Use of Social Media, Best Collaborative Blog and Best Writing and Book Blog. This was quickly followed by a nomination for their July selection, by the Next Best Book Club - the second largest book club on Goodreads.com.

Myne Whitman, who also writes features for BellaNaija, Femme Lounge, and the Canadian Womens Post, has received full page reviews in THISDAY and the National Daily Newspaper in Nigeria. There have also been several articles and interviews in the Guardian, African Loft, Reading Bridges Magazine, among many others. The author was the Personality of the month for LadyBrille Magazine in March and the Spotlight Profile for the AfrikanGoddess Online in July.

Onyeka Nwelue, author of The Abyssinian Boy, calls A Heart to Mend “Enthralling!” saying, “Truth is; Whitman has charmed me”. Prolific writer and reviewer, Sylva Nze Ifedigbo, admits that the novel “makes a bold statement to the contrary” about Nigerians and indeed Africans not being known for romance writing. The novel will bring tears to the eyes and cheers at the climax. Direct and action packed, the masterful use of emotion and suspense will keep one engrossed and guessing till the end.

Set in Lagos, Nigeria, A Heart to Mend narrates a love story and a journey of self-discovery. Gladys Eborah moves to Lagos from a deprived single-parent home in Enugu, to seek a job. She lives with a formerly estranged aunt who wants to be forgiven and so has the uneasy role of the bridge between both families. A new job and good friends gradually transition Gladys into an independent young woman and then she meets and begins to fall for handsome Edward Bestman. Edward is very wealthy, and believes money can buy everything. Though physically attracted to Gladys, he is not ready to give his heart. To make matters worse, Gladys is implicated in a plot to take over his business empire. Readers have to find out who these people are that want to betray him and destroy their happiness. And will Edward trust Gladys enough to give love a chance?

About the Author:
Myne Whitman is working on her next novel, which will be released in February 2011 to be followed by more contemporary Nigerian romances. She resides in Seattle with her husband and volunteers as an ESL tutor through Hopelink, a charity organization. Myne has worked as a banker, a teacher, and in the civil service before realizing her dream of writing full-time. For more info, visit her website at www.mynewhitman.com; Join her at http://www.facebook.com/Myne.Whitman or; Follow her at http://www.twitter.com/Myne_Whitman.
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by minotaur(m): 5:41am On Aug 01, 2010
Hi, just read your post. I'm an avid novel reader and I must say I've never heard of Myne White. Is he or her Nigerian? The only Nigerian books I've read are all them pace setters far back and some other good ones. Novels written by Nigerian authors lack a good storyline as opposed to foreign novels which I do read a lot.
Checked out the link in your profile. Have you published any novels?
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by Omolulu(m): 6:57am On Aug 01, 2010
Congrats, PS: Nice Blog you have, keep it up wink
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by MyneWhite1(f): 5:34pm On Aug 01, 2010
Hello Minotaur, Yes I am Nigerian and Myne is a pen name for writing my novels. My novel, A Heart to Mend has been published and garnering accolades.

You have to read A Heart to Mend to understand that stories set in Nigeria can be just as interesting if not more than the foreign ones. The best thing is that you can identify with the characters who are just like you and you can recognize the places mentioned in the book. Thanks for reading.

minotaur:

Hi, just read your post. I'm an avid novel reader and I must say I've never heard of Myne White. Is he or her Nigerian? The only Nigerian books I've read are all them pace setters far back and some other good ones. Novels written by Nigerian authors lack a good storyline as opposed to foreign novels which I do read a lot.
Checked out the link in your profile. Have you published any novels?

Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by MyneWhite1(f): 5:35pm On Aug 01, 2010
Omolulu:

Congrats, PS: Nice Blog you have, keep it up wink

Thank you Omolulu. Have a great Sunday!
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by minotaur(m): 5:57pm On Aug 01, 2010
cool! went back and read the preview. seems like a romance novel set in Lagos. Reminds me of when I used to read them 'mills and boon', 'silhouette romance', you name it. I used to rip off the cover page so no one will know what I'm reading because people will think you are a bad boy! lol. Anyway, I will see if I can get my hands on a copy of this one. Maybe order the electronic version as it appears to be cheaper.

I saw from your profile that you grow up in Enugu. I spent 1994-2009 in Enugu. And if you are going to be our next Chimamanda, how come your writing under a pen name? No offence intended. Just curious. smiley
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by MyneWhite1(f): 6:14pm On Aug 02, 2010
Thanks, glad you read the preview. Tell me what you think when you're finished with the book, it will certainly remind you of M&B but stronger plot and more engaging character and setting.

The debate of the name got a full page in the newspapers. I can't go into it now, lol grin cheesy. Check out the link.

http://nationaldailyngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2667:myne-whitman-and-the-burden-of-a-name&catid=130:trendtainment&Itemid=451

Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by enomakos(m): 4:58pm On Aug 03, 2010
congrats dear myne
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by MyneWhite1(f): 2:17am On Aug 04, 2010
Thank you Enomakos

enomakos:

congrats dear myne
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by minotaur(m): 2:31am On Aug 04, 2010
read the newspaper article. quite a furore your name raised.lol! will definitely read the book.
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by Ubiero(f): 9:12am On Aug 04, 2010
Hey,I have to say that Myne Whitman is cool.Her book(A heart to mend ) is very cool.You know, she's Nigerian but she stays in the U.K so i have to say that their influence has rubbed off on her because this book won an award.Moreso she has a blog site you can log on to if you want to win a copy of her book for free.It is http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.com/2010/07/blog-anniversary-countdown.html.So check it out.
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by enomakos(m): 6:07pm On Aug 04, 2010
Myne White:

Thank you Enomakos

you are welcome dear
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by vescucci(m): 2:41am On Aug 05, 2010
Lemme guess: thank you for thanking me? grin

I am positively pleased that you are a Nigerian, Myne. Congratulations on finally living your dreams.
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by semid4lyfe(m): 9:27pm On Aug 05, 2010
Congrats Myne!

It just seems like yesterday you were posting excerpts of the novel here

Glad you're now reaping the fruits of your labour.
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by vescucci(m): 11:42pm On Aug 05, 2010
Not one to let paradoxes get away, it is amazing I'm letting this one go
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by dumodust(m): 2:15am On Aug 12, 2010
congrats myne, you female writers are giving us hope. i pray that it will ony get better and better for you
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by Orikinla(m): 6:53pm On Aug 12, 2010
Keep shining!

God makes all things possible.
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by MyneWhite1(f): 7:25pm On Aug 16, 2010
Thank you so much guys!

dumodust:

congrats myne, you female writers are giving us hope. i pray that it will ony get better and better for you
Orikinla:

Keep shining!

God makes all things possible.
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by Ndipe(m): 4:22am On Aug 17, 2010
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by MyneWhite1(f): 1:08am On Aug 19, 2010

Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by kay9(m): 4:43pm On Aug 25, 2010
grin grin grin Ride on, MyneW, ride on!
Re: Debut Novel, A Heart To Mend, Wins Awards For Author Myne Whitman by MyneWhite1(f): 7:07am On Aug 26, 2010
Kay9, thanks so much!

(1) (Reply)

My Mapoly Life(the Good,the Bad, And The Ugly) / "An Ode To Garri" (in Praise Of Ikire) / Writers Wanted For Online Magazine/news Portal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.