Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy (13343 Views)

Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? / Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by ogejov(f): 11:19am On May 12, 2007
@ Ollie I heard what you said, come to think of it this people are human like you and me. why the discrimination, I see my husband as the most wonderful man on earth. I really thank God that I find him. For crying out loud i am a Christian not a pagan please. my kids will not suffer for what they know nothing about.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by ogejov(f): 11:25am On May 12, 2007
Jesus came to the world to cleans us  original sins. Why will the sins of their forefather  affect them and their household.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by Ollie39: 11:56am On May 12, 2007
If only it was a only pagan problem, but this transcends christianinty, education, elightenment etc. I find it evil and unfair. I do not agree with it. That said, it is still alive and when people want to get married in Igbo land this issue comes up in the enquiries.

I admire you for your courage in going ahead and wish you luck. Maybe if more people crossed over it will help in getting rid of this evil.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by AckeeEater(m): 12:25pm On May 12, 2007
I cannot even recall what I was looking for when I came across this Web forum. Woowee! The more you live, the more you learn! I just had to bookmark the site and register. I'm Jamaican but a great part of our culture is owed to Igbo input from slavery times (e.g., we still say "oonu" for "you" plural). But thank heavens that this 'Outcast' or 'Osu' system didn't survive; what an abomination!

From what I've learnt here, the young lady must be congratulated for making the brave choice of "love first". Somebody suggested that she move to a neutral place, I agree. How about a big city, or better yet, Europe of North America? In fact, every Osu should do so! In time there wouldn't be any of the caste left! The law against that system needs to be renewed and teeth put into it.

I must say thanks particularly to "Youngies" for the fine explanation of the system and its roots. I wonder if someone from the West, say I for instance, were to be in Igboland, whether I would be an Osu too (being a slave offspring). Wow!
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by ogejov(f): 1:17pm On May 12, 2007
@ AckeeEater lol Good talk
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by Ndipe(m): 10:04pm On May 12, 2007
If the present day generation of the Ibos wont destroy this hateful tradition of osu, while complaining of being denied their share of the National cake, then that is a display of hypocrisy.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by AckeeEater(m): 11:27pm On May 12, 2007
Ogejov, my dear, you're welcome. I wish you all the luck in the world. Remember, your future kids will not deserve being looked down on for stupidity like Osu, so please move or migrate.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by laudate: 12:24pm On May 16, 2007
Ndipe:

If the present day generation of the Ibos wont destroy this hateful tradition of osu, while complaining of being denied their share of the National cake, then that is a display of hypocrisy.

Ndipe, Ndipe, Ndipe, na how many times I call you, ehn?? Dem tell you say dem no sabi destroy their old tradition? Why you come dey find trouble now? tongue
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by Seun(m): 12:29pm On May 16, 2007
They are not very eager to destroy the tradition o. They need a little push from more enlightened minds. wink
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by laudate: 9:02pm On May 16, 2007
Ndipe:

Seun:

They are not very eager to destroy the tradition o. They need a little push from more enlightened minds. wink

Ndipe & Seun, na God I take beg una, make both of you stop dis kind talk o!

Donzman & Babyosisi said in another thread, that the thing is not widespread & barely common, despite the fact that other Igbo people acknowledged its' existence & prevalence. Now you guys are putting pepper, tomato & 'onions into the equation, with these kind of comments.

I beg you, duck once the brick bats start to fly in your direction o! I don talk my own. tongue
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by mohadana: 4:03pm On May 18, 2007
sad
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by marlet01(m): 12:04pm On May 19, 2007
@ Topic

That's a very sad news but you have to know that he is a human like you, all those stone ages were such were highly prohibited is now past so i don't think you should have any problem with the guy provided you love him.

Cheers.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by BigSis(f): 6:03pm On Jun 05, 2007
Lawd this "osu" is so bush.  I can't believe 21st century people are still into this non-sense. Unfortunately, if you live in a society that believes in this kind of thing. You may have to think hard.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by Esoterik(f): 2:34am On Jun 07, 2007
i dont really know what to suggest. My surname is Nwosu, so i guess that means i am descendant from Osu people. I was born and grew up in the UK, and only really found out about this Osu caste thing a few years ago ( i am 33). I consider my life to be blessed - i am married to a wonderful igbo man for whom my surname was never a problem. I had a wonderful childhood, a good education and come from a strong supportive family. I think if you are having doubts about your love for this man, maybe you shouldnt be together. Leave him to find and fall in love with someone who will love him wholeheartedly, someone who wont bay homage to this backward custom.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by lalaboi(m): 2:15pm On Jun 07, 2007
osu guy lounloun!
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by temmyabby(f): 12:40am On Jun 28, 2007
in the 21st century embarassed na wah ooo
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by tpia: 1:52am On Jun 28, 2007
why are there some disturbing similarities between Igbo and Indian cultures( eg this caste thing). Was there some cross cultural exchange in ancient times? or can it be traced to the East ( east/central Africa?).
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by olutomiwa(m): 4:20pm On Jun 28, 2007
I guess this is d osu man?which girl will want to miss  a handsome man like this,he is BIG  STRONG  AND  RELAIBLE if this is your man please go ahead and marry him,if not other girls from your place will go for him. wink
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by spoilt(f): 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2007
osu my crusty feet! angry angry angry
go right ahead and marry him! Who gives any one the right to tag a freeborn an outcast. make i hear word abeg. angry you can relocate with your husband and live peacefully in a sane society.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by iykrion(m): 5:49pm On Oct 07, 2007
Are the so-called freeborns better than those tagged osu? What makes one a freeborn and another an osu? The Osu caste system is completely outdated. Those who still believe in it are just functional illiterates.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by ifyalways(f): 3:23pm On Oct 16, 2007
goahead and marry him.wish i wud be able to attend the wedding.wishing you a happy and fulfilled marriage.hope toyinrayo gets to read this too.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by Nobody: 6:09am On Oct 27, 2007
hon, toyinrayo read it. i didnt say i believed in osu o. . .thats why i pasted my comment in the other thread. undecided

@post
go and marry him jare, if you love him and he loves you, whats stopping you? Its all up to you grin grin
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by londoner: 2:29pm On Oct 27, 2007
Love is love, but people will always be people. The caste system across Nigeria today is not Osu, but class. If you are from a rich family they will often find it an abomination/disgrace for their son or daughter to marry someone who comes from a poor family. In Nigeria, when someone wants to marry your daughter, the family do an investigation, there are things which may have nothing to do with the individual, but are  in the family history (apart from medical illnesses) which cause parents to withold their permission or blessing for the marraige. All over Nigeria, we have modern day caste systems in Nigeria. People are expected to stay with their own kind and class.

I really don't see much difference, the behaviour is the same when it comes down to marriage.

As far as Christians, there are people who despite love, the church will advise  not to marry, or even  associate with, people who THEY consider to be backsliders or non Christians/unbelievers. Even without believing in Osu, there are bars to marriage based purely on love, but we find ways of justifying it and explaining it away as something else, when really its all the same thing, albeit less devastating.

Thats just my opinion.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by nnenneigbo(f): 11:24pm On Oct 27, 2007
londoner:

Love is love, but people will always be people. The caste system across Nigeria today is not Osu, but class. If you are from a rich family they will often find it an abomination/disgrace for their son or daughter to marry someone who comes from a poor family. In Nigeria, when someone wants to marry your daughter, the family do an investigation, there are things which may have nothing to do with the individual, but are in the family history (apart from medical illnesses) which cause parents to withold their permission or blessing for the marraige. All over Nigeria, we have modern day caste systems in Nigeria. People are expected to stay with their own kind and class.

I really don't see much difference, the behaviour is the same when it comes down to marriage.

As far as Christians, there are people who despite love, the church will advise not to marry, or even associate with, people who THEY consider to be backsliders or non Christians/unbelievers. Even without believing in Osu, there are bars to marriage based purely on love, but we find ways of justifying it and explaining it away as something else, when really its all the same thing, albeit less devastating.

Thats just my opinion.

hmmmm you're so right. Osu exits oooo. believe it or not
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by ifyalways(f): 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2007
nnenneigbo:

hmmmm you're so right. Osu exits oooo. believe it or not
in this PRESENT age and timeGod help us all lipsrsealed
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by ogejov(f): 4:29pm On Nov 09, 2007
@nnenneigbo hmmmm you're so right. Osu exits oooo. believe it or not

Nne, are you a christian or pagan? when the trumpet sound now will Jesus ask if you are an Osu or a free born.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by shayla(f): 2:02am On Jan 06, 2008
I think you should wait!! a bit longer before marrying this guy, because if your love & convictions were strong enough.  after dating him for 3yrs you would not still be Questioning . 

The fact that you are  - means that your love / convictions & commitment to the relationship aren't as strong as they'd need to be - to make a already Questionable marriage ,  successful.  I wish you all the best , but I think you've clearly still got a lot to think about undecided

Don't get married because  you've invested in the relationship - instead get married because it feels right, & you have no further Questions!!!!
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by Jezzy(f): 4:20am On Jan 06, 2008
To all,the Osu caste system is alive and well in Igbo land in 2008.I thought it was stuff from fiction and it was never discussed in the house I grew up in until someone close to me fell in love with a man.The man she fell in love with was an 'Osu' and she was discouraged by her family and relatives not to go ahead with the man.I was offended by the whole situation because I couldn't imagine such tradtions still being effective in this day and age.They were told that there are things that can be done to remove the 'osu-ness' from the guy so they can marry each other as free borns.For some reason I'm not privy to,they didn't do this.And she refused to dump her guy.Because of this,they couldn't do a traditional wedding because the family and community boycotted the event.They eventually had a wedding in church in another state in a different part of the country.They are still married and as far as I know are happy together.

This tradition is outlawed by the law courts of Nigeria.We can stay on this site and pontificate all we want but until Nigeria changes and our laws become enforceable,people will still be treated like shyt because of what their ancestors did or din't do.My 2 cents.

@Ogejov,if you are really sure you can stand the heat that this will bring your way,hang in there.But remember that it is not only you,all your kids and their kids will face this same heat except our country changes.All are free in Christ-but most of the world doesn't know that and would give you grief for marrying osu and all such silly stuff.I wish you the best.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by spoilt(f): 2:55pm On Jan 06, 2008
nnenneigbo:

hmmmm you're so right. Osu[b] exits [/b] oooo. believe it or not

you are right. It EXITED a long time ago! cool LOL
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by laudate: 11:23am On Jan 08, 2008
Jezzy:

[b]To all,the Osu caste system is alive and well in Igbo land in 2008.I thought it was stuff from fiction and it was never discussed in the house I grew up in until someone close to me fell in love with a man.The man she fell in love with was an 'Osu' and she was discouraged by her family and relatives not to go ahead with the man.[/b]I was offended by the whole situation because I couldn't imagine such tradtions still being effective in this day and age.They were told that there are things that can be done to remove the 'osu-ness' from the guy so they can marry each other as free borns.For some reason I'm not privy to,they didn't do this.And she refused to dump her guy.Because of this,they couldn't do a traditional wedding because the family and community boycotted the event.They eventually had a wedding in church in another state in a different part of the country.They are still married and as far as I know are happy together.

This tradition is outlawed by the law courts of Nigeria.We can stay on this site and pontificate all we want but until Nigeria changes and our laws become enforceable,people will still be treated like shyt because of what their ancestors did or din't do.My 2 cents.

@Ogejov,if you are really sure you can stand the heat that this will bring your way,hang in there.But remember that it is not only you,all your kids and their kids will face this same heat except our country changes.All are free in Christ-but most of the world doesn't know that and would give you grief for marrying osu and all such silly stuff.I wish you the best.

Shuo!! shocked na who we go come believe now?? Ehn? Babyosisi a.k.a Nwando said that it was no longer in existence, now you are saying it is still alive and well in 2008. Na wa o! undecided
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by toshmann(m): 12:39pm On Jan 08, 2008
the osu caste system has come to stay, sadly sad , it is like terrorism, tribalism, racism, robbery, illicit sex, etc. it may not be wiped out. it can be controlled.

and the situation today is not the same as it was 200-300yrs ago. today, ibos live together is cities and we dont go about asking about peoples status when we want to do business. today, the osu thing is almost not recognised in our lives except in issues like marriage. this is because the ibos are still very conservative about marriage. marriage in iboland is not btw 2 people but btw 2 families and some members of the family will show strong concern about the family they are getting entangled with. this to me is some form of racism (you may not agree with me though)

however, to potray the osus as being disadvantaged is untrue. they do business with others. some have been governors in the eastern states both during military and democratic eras(PDP democrasy). they are professors, doctors, vice chancellors etc and nobody really cares if the pastor is osu or not. it is only in marriage that it is still yet to be wiped.

it is unGodly but pls pls pls do not criminalise the ibos of today for this b/c we were born into this thing and we've done a lot to wipe it but it aint easy. you may say. . . i dont care(and many of us dont) but what happens when your father says no way. . . if you marry this girl i'll die. . . . what do you do? marry the girl and loose your dad? b/c many of dem parents have real heart attack/ stroke etc due to unnecessary worry when their children marry "wrong" partners. your mum(who loved you all ur life) or your wife(who may turn against you in the future) what do you do?

that is why our generation still struggles to remove osu controversy from marriage, until a generation of ibos are born who will have a different marital culture where ibo marriages are entirely btw 2 people. that may take another century or two.
Re: I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy by laudate: 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2008
toshmann:

the osu caste system has come to stay, sadly sad , it is like terrorism, tribalism, racism, robbery, illicit sex, etc. it may not be wiped out. it can be controlled.

and the situation today is not the same as it was 200-300yrs ago. today, ibos live together is cities and we don't go about asking about peoples status when we want to do business. today, the osu thing is almost not recognised in our lives except in issues like marriage. this is because the ibos are still very conservative about marriage. marriage in iboland is not between 2 people but between 2 families and some members of the family will show strong concern about the family they are getting entangled with. this to me is some form of racism (you may not agree with me though)

however, to potray the osus as being disadvantaged is untrue. they do business with others. some have been governors in the eastern states both during military and democratic eras(PDP democrasy). they are professors, doctors, vice chancellors etc and nobody really cares if the pastor is osu or not. it is only in marriage that it is still yet to be wiped.

it is unGodly but please please please do not criminalise the ibos of today for this b/c we were born into this thing and we've done a lot to wipe it but it aint easy. you may say. . . i don't care(and many of us don't) but what happens when your father says no way. . . if you marry this girl i'll die. . . . what do you do? marry the girl and loose your dad? b/c many of them parents have real heart attack/ stroke etc due to unnecessary worry when their children marry "wrong" partners. your mum(who loved you all your life) or your wife(who may turn against you in the future) what do you do?

that is why our generation still struggles to remove osu controversy from marriage, until a generation of ibos are born who will have a different marital culture where ibo marriages are entirely between 2 people. that may take another century or two.

Point of correction. . . .is there any ethnic group in Nigeria, where marriage is not a union between two families? Among the Yoruba, Efik, Annang, Edo, Tiv, Fulani, Hausa, Kanuri, Itsekiri etc. and all the other 200-plus ethnic groups in Nigeria, marriage is still undertaken with the involvement of both families on either side.

Unfortunately, due to the increased adoption of Western influence, most of those who live in the cities are by-passing most of the traditional customs associated with marraige ceremonies in their ethnic group and are opting to do things their own way. It doesn't mean that marriage is still not a union, that involves both families, and not just the couple.

In the north for example, some families actually decide to marry off their daughters with or without the approval of the daughter, in some cases.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures From Obodoukwu Festival Held In Imo State / Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia / Yoruba People, Who Is Ela?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.