Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? (6402 Views)

God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / The Holy Grail? (Grail Message) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by DeepSight(m): 3:11pm On Aug 03, 2010
As described in scripture, I have the impression that its more of a Force. Like God's will in action.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by petres007(m): 7:22pm On Aug 03, 2010
Deep Sight:

As described in scripture, I have the impression that its more of a Force. Like God's will in action.

Sir,

Can you please show us one or two of these "descriptions" you're referring to??

I've heard about this idea about the Holy Spirit but keep wondering why anyone would ever come to that conclusion about him

Now I have the chance to learn about it firsthand from an expert  smiley
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2010
Deep Sight:

when you personally think you an idea of a subject, why asking a question about it again Cos i'm very sure any explanation different from your own definition wont be acceptable by you.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by nopuqeater: 9:40pm On Aug 03, 2010
Didnt Jesus say that the Holy spirit will speak and people will hear him, teaching, correcting and showing everything, as God is the One Who Speaks to him, and he only just say what he was told? Where is his book of what he was told by God, which he simply repeated without adding his own?
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by noetic16(m): 9:54pm On Aug 03, 2010
nopuqeater:

Didnt Jesus say that the Holy spirit will speak and people will hear him, teaching, correcting and showing everything, as God is the One Who Speaks to him, and he only just say what he was told? Where is his book of what he was told by God, which he simply repeated without adding his own?

please dont u dare suggest that ur pae.dophile mohammed is the holy spirit? . . . please spare us that excreta.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by noetic16(m): 9:55pm On Aug 03, 2010
Deep Sight:

I am not aware of any scripture that suggests the aforementioned? please explain . . ,
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by petres007(m): 6:37am On Aug 04, 2010
noetic16:

I am not aware of any scripture that suggests the aforementioned? please explain . . ,

Ah. . . I see you've joined the waiting list cheesy
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by Mudley313: 7:58am On Aug 04, 2010
Deep Sight:

i thought the holy spirit was God
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by mazaje(m): 8:10am On Aug 04, 2010
Deep Sight:

Since when did oneness of infinity develop a will?. . . .
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:38am On Aug 04, 2010
So, what is the holy spirit? Is it just fireballs that drop on people's heads and make them speak in tongues and make them have bodily spasms, or is there more to it than that?
Please no scriptural quotes because i hardly read them. Explain in your own words. Thank you.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by nuclearboy(m): 11:17am On Aug 04, 2010
[1] Petres_James-Bond
[2] Noetic (takes no nonsense)
[3] nuclear (the NL BOY)

@DeepSight:

Waiting for your theses
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by MyJoe: 2:46pm On Aug 04, 2010
noetic16:

Acts 11:24 (New International Version)
24He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.

Acts 7:55-56 (New International Version)
55But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56"Look," he said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God."

Acts 8:15 (New International Version)
15When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit,

Acts 9:17 (New International Version)
17Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Jude 1:20 (New International Version)
20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.

Hebrews 6:4 (New International Version)
4It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,

Acts 13:19 (New International Version)
19he overthrew seven nations in Canaan and gave their land to his people as their inheritance.

Matthew 3:11 (New International Version)
11"I baptize you with[a] water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Luke 1:35 (New International Version)
35The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[a] the Son of God.

Acts 10:38 (New International Version)
38how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

Want more?  wink
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2010
nopuqeater:

I know ur thought of trying to link ur Islamic prophet to the holy spirit.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by nuclearboy(m): 3:35pm On Aug 04, 2010
@MyJoe:

I see and now get where DeepSight was coming from. I had earlier wondered. Your above somewhat makes sense. However, I (and guess most Christians too) tend to think of the HS more as a "in existence" personage with attributes such as intellect and desire. Note that this description of a personality is not negated by any attribute/description above.

Its like say, you accept my will over a matter. We both know I'm not a force but that I can exert influence. So it is with the HS. Someone who conforms very closely to the Christians ideals as espoused by Christ would be seen as being of higher infilling of the HS than say, your average church goer. I believe that brief summary simplifies and clears up the above
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by tayore: 4:18pm On Aug 04, 2010
God is the name I call an invisible that manifests through forms.
To others this ‘invisible’ is a force, spirit etc.

Truth, Love, Justice e.t.c. are examples of this invisible, but we know them when they are made manifest. The manifestations are in diverse forms.

A particular event could make TRUTH become so real like you could handle it.
You could know LOVE through a loyal friend.
You could experience JUSTICE through a situation.

What differentiates the Holy Spirit from other spirits is that it is “Holy”.

That feeling that envelopes you when Love, Truth, Justice etc become almost tangible is what I call Holy.

You can distinguish that ‘holy feeling’ from the unholy ones you get when you experience rejection, denial, prejudice, cant you?
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by MadMax1(f): 8:15am On Aug 05, 2010
Lol at toba and nopu. Please don't stop there. nopu you ran? Why na?

You've let Deep Sight off the hook, nuclear. Lol, weren't you waiting for his thesis? Look how fast he skeddadled! Must have gone on his knees thanking the Holy Spirit when he saw that post.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by nuclearboy(m): 8:45am On Aug 05, 2010
^^^ Been awhile there I read from one of my favorite posters. A favorite recurring daytime dream of mine is that you are joagbaje and he is olabowale. Twould be so nice for the intents and purposes of truth.

Couldn't wait any further once MyJoe had obliged us. And I doubt anyone could achieve such as you described with DeepSight. Anyways, soon he'll be here and we'll see - one thing I must say though is the guy compels that you know what you say before you spout. Him, MyJoe, Krayola and you - scary people. Where could that Krayola chap be?
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by MadMax1(f): 10:08am On Aug 05, 2010
Nuclear you're a riot, I swear. grin grin
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by smallman1: 10:11am On Aug 05, 2010
it is God's active force as shown from the bible.

luv,
small man.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by DeepSight(m): 11:10am On Aug 05, 2010
petres_007:

Sir,

Can you please show us one or two of these "descriptions" you're referring to??

I've heard about this idea about the Holy Spirit but keep wondering why anyone would ever come to that conclusion about him

Now I have the chance to learn about it firsthand from an expert smiley

noetic16:

nuclearboy:

[1] Petres_James-Bond
[2] Noetic (takes no nonsense)
[3] nuclear (the NL BOY)

@DeepSight:

Waiting for your theses

I think that the following from MyJoe addresses my reference and provides firm and exhaustive scriptural basis for the view that the Holy Spirit is not a personal sentient being but more like the will or force of God in action
MyJoe:

Acts 11:24 (New International Version)
24He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.

Acts 7:55-56 (New International Version)
55But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56"Look," he said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God."

Acts 8:15 (New International Version)
15When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit,

Acts 9:17 (New International Version)
17Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Jude 1:20 (New International Version)
20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.

4It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,

Acts 13:19 (New International Version)
19he overthrew seven nations in Canaan and gave their land to his people as their inheritance.

11"I baptize you with[a] water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

35The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[a] the Son of God.

38how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

Want more? wink
-

Given that the foregoing has been p[rovided in support of that view, might I ask you (Noetic/ Nuclear/ Petres/ Max) if there is anything in scripture that identifies the Holy Spirit as a personal individual sentient being? We have exhaustive personal reference to the Father, Jesus came as a personal individual: but there is no such indication about the Holy Spirit. So the ball is in your court, lady/ gents.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by DeepSight(m): 11:27am On Aug 05, 2010
enitan2002:

when you personally think you an idea of a subject, why asking a question about it again Cos i'm very sure any explanation different from your own definition wont be acceptable by you.

I know you believe the Holy Spirit is Parsifal: who was incarnated as the authour of the Grail Message, Mr. Abdrushin.

I am sorry, but that only appears like another latter day attempt to claim divinity for thr founder of another movement: Islam has also since tried valiantly to claim that Muhammad is the "Comforter" that Christ referred to. I don't know what sort of comforter comes bearing a sword though.

It is also disconcerting that your belief that the Holy Spirit is Parsifal who was radiated to earth in the form of Abdrushin ties in with your belief in the Trinity. This summarily means that you regard Mr. Abd Ru Shin, the authour of the Grail Message, to be God incarnated on Earth.

I find that unfortunate: nevertheless it is a regular motif of many religious movements: the founders are usually asserted to be God, OR Divine in one way or the other. At least the Islamists stopped short of claiming that Muhammad was God.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by DeepSight(m): 11:36am On Aug 05, 2010
For the Trinitarians - once it can be shown that the Holy Spirit is conceived in scripture as a force and not a person. . .the entire trinitarian construct instantly collapses and must be and remain dead on arrival.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by KunleOshob(m): 1:03pm On Aug 05, 2010
^^^
grin grin grin
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by nuclearboy(m): 1:08pm On Aug 05, 2010
EDITED

@DeepSight:

I now see where this is going - its another attempt to ridicule the "1 showing as 3" concept! The repetitions are back again, ehn? Sad Viaro is on currenly on "Saturn" en route to "Pluto" as a planetary auditor and might not be back awhile. Twould have been nice to see him at you again.

Anyways, Christ said and I quote (NIV) - "The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you" - John 14: 17.

DeepSight, pray tell when you last called your thoughts or will or intents "He"? BTW, Hebrew dictionaries worsen your case.

So now we've see the HS as a "HE", whats your next port of call? Repetition perharps?

@Mad_Max:

I'm just NL's BOY and grateful of it. No guile in this BOY. BTW, see what I said about DeepSight? MyJoe gets it immediately and even if he disagrees, will carefully consider. When he returns, its the Ninja that arrived. Deep on the other hand, closes his eyes and jumps in DEEP. Unfortunately, its usually into a pool thats being cleaned and so contains no water.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by Enigma(m): 1:14pm On Aug 05, 2010
As a Trinitarian, I never see the point of expending too much energy on this type of threads.

My people say: ọmọde ko mọ ogun, o npe l'ẹfọ!

On this type of issue, I usually leave the ignorant to be ignorant and the mocker to be mocker.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by nuclearboy(m): 1:25pm On Aug 05, 2010
@Enigma:

Been looking everywhere for you and even asked Aletheia about contacting you - wanted your take on a site I saw. Can you drop a line at nlbomb@gmail.com?

Your above is true but it might be better at times to erode their confidence by showing truth. Over time, someone in error confronted by truth repeatedly inevitably starts to feel shallow and baseless. Truth has that effect  wink
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by Enigma(m): 1:31pm On Aug 05, 2010
Ah, I've actually been popping in and out of here. I will send the email a little later. smiley

And you are right that the nonsenses need to be countered by truth sometimes --- particularly to help and strengthen others who believe in the Trinity. Nevertheless, I still generally do not take these kind of posts/topics too seriously --- at least on this forum taking account what I know of/have read from some of the personnel.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by DeepSight(m): 1:50pm On Aug 05, 2010
^^^Oga, when o when will you speak straight to my face. Its so tiring, this attitide of "some people here are idoits but I am too exalted to mention their names, as such I never respond to their posts." I cannot count the amount of times you have referred to me in most derisive terms without addressing at all anything I have said, and remaining careful not to mention my name.

Its truly unfortunate that Nuclear has come to see every discourse on christian theology as an attack on his faith, merely because we do not agree on interpretations.

Then such words as "nonsense" "shallow" "ignorant" sudenly appear: even when I have proffered no such. I really wearies me.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by Enigma(m): 1:54pm On Aug 05, 2010
@ Deepsight

Please point to where I have referred to you in derisive terms --- a link will do. What I know is that indeed I have deliberately ignored your posts even on occasions when you insulted me directly. I can find the links if you want.

Finally, what I wrote in my two earlier posts is what I genuinely believe about the discussions of certain topics on this forum ---- particularly in recent times.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by DeepSight(m): 2:03pm On Aug 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

EDITED

@DeepSight:

I now see where this is going - its another attempt to ridicule the "1 showing as 3" concept! The repetitions are back again, ehn?

I am sure you would not believe me when I tell you that the Trinity angle did not even occur to me when I opened this thread. But it emerges as a significant implication.

Anyways, Christ said and I quote (NIV) - "The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you" - John 14: 17.

I think the use of the word "he" in that verse is not sufficent to conclude that -

1. It is the Holy Spirit being referred to

2. The Holy Spirit is a personal being

Because -

It states that the Spirit of Truth will live in each person. . . can this really be said of a personal being. . .it is rather the essence of truth that lives in each person as referred to in that verse, or what do you think?

Secondly you must realise that the fact that you refer to the "HE" can only lend credence to the Muhammadist claim to be that "he" - since it is supposed to be a person referred to - and not the all pervading spirit described in teh Bible which is NEVER seen by anyone or articulated as talking directly to anyone or appearing to anyone.

So now we've see the HS as a "HE", whats your next port of call? Repetition perharps?

Did you really read MyJoe's post? I don't think you stopped to carefullt digest each verse he quoted.

Consider carefully again these in particular -

Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by DeepSight(m): 2:06pm On Aug 05, 2010
Enigma:

@ Deepsight

Please point to where I have referred to you in derisive terms --- a link will do. What I know is that indeed I have deliberately ignored your posts even on occasions when you insulted me directly. I can find the links if you want.

Finally, what I wrote in my two earlier posts is what I genuinely believe about the discussions of certain topics on this forum ---- particularly in recent times.

No matter, and no bother. I just feel that if you have something to say, do say it upfront, and address issues and not people.

By the way I cannot recall insulting you: I do not make a practice of that: though I am often to be seen with the harshest words for what I perceive to be odd dogma. If I did insult you in anyway, accept my most sincere apologies.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Personal Sentient Being? by nuclearboy(m): 2:09pm On Aug 05, 2010
@DeepSight:

Yor 1st attempt above at a reply is hilarious - everyone here knows my style. I am addicted to fun (in the cleanest sense of it) and thus attempt to be imaginative and lively in conversing. But it is tiring to answer the same questions over and over especially when they come from the same person. You seem to go about doing one of two - [a] looking for ways to stand against the "carpenter" [2] offering an alternative "infinity". No wahala, bro, bring it on.

But when you do so, be honest. I notice you refused to comment on my earlier reply (just following MyJoe's post) - it did not allow you continue your agenda so you ignored it and asked the same question AND deduced your own conclusion all by yourself. Sadly, rather than just Judge, Jury and Executioner, you also took on the role of Defendant and so its your own funeral, Sir!

The Bible refers to the Holy Spirit in Aramaic, Greek and English as "HE". All commentaries regard HIM as an individual, superhuman, a distinct personality. BUT you of course, ignore these and insist based on a portion (rather than totality) that He is a force. And then you complain about the word "shallow" which sincerely wasn't intended as an insult.

Did you start University at 400 level OR jump from high school to graduate law school and get your degree thus? When you can answer yes to that, you'll get the point about shallowness in taking a portion rather than the totality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Soul / Ignore Everything I Have Been Saying All These Months. The Bottomline Is / Which Part Of Your Christian Life Do You Need To Improve This Year?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.