Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria (8537 Views)

Vision Of The Future: 10 Hi-tech Inventions We'll Hopefully Be Using In 2030 / Hi-tech Public Toilet Where Doors Open Automatically After 20 Minutes & Game / Independent Day Bomb Blast, Could It Have Been Prevented Using Hi-tech Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Pharoh: 10:39pm On Aug 03, 2010
oladayo042:

I believed playing games had helped me as martinosis opined, especially games that had to do with finding clues (what the ordinary eye will not see).

Yeah they do help for educated youths and adults but i would love us to talk about the kids, teens, market women etc. what could we recommend to all parts of the general population improve our tech savvy abilities.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Ivynwa(f): 10:44pm On Aug 03, 2010
The manipulation of such gadgets are not really difficult, anybody that can manipulate a simple phone can easily find their way around most gadgets of nowadays. It's just that some of us allow the sight of such intimidate us. I always take them on as a challenge (loving to work with machines) and I meet them head-on until I find my way around such. Let's stop being technophobic people! machines and gadgets are all fascinating equipments.

http://naijas-across-the-globe..com/2010/08/how-do-we-stop-419nersscammers-from.html
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 03, 2010
Simple as ABC,Nigerians are still busy looking for hand outs when the can easily enrich themselves to beter their community,their are free books online which can be printed and learnt from.
if you think the malams,ngati-ngati and kedu you vote into power every four yrs know what tech is all about you are all mistaken,GJ said he has a facebook page,ask him how many gadgets on facebook has he ever tried using?
Education with the advent of the internet can esily be acquired by the click of your mouse,instead of them searching on how to enrich themselves knowledge wise,its yaho yahoo that came up.
I tried speaking to someone regarding streaming Nigerian tv from Nigeia to US via P2P and after almost killin myslf explaining wht P2P is and what it takes,the next thing I get is a request for money to chop.
ordinary streaming we cant do and we are talking of tech savy,my 4 yr old son streams cnn and fox soccer chanel easily from his room
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Pharoh: 11:14pm On Aug 03, 2010
^^ You are very right but you know when it comes to Nigeria we have other factors fighting against us, we do not have simple electricity and sometimes not exposed to stuffs like that.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:28pm On Aug 03, 2010
milehigh06:

Simple as ABC,Nigerians are still busy looking for hand outs when the can easily enrich themselves to beter their community,their are free books online which can be printed and learnt from.
ordinary streaming we cant do and we are talking of tech savy,my 4 yr old son streams cnn and fox soccer chanel easily from his room
I agree. Nobody should sit back and wait for manna to fall from the government. In fact the foundation for scientific invention is having an inquisitive and adventurous mindset. 
It is waste of time for some posters here to keep on whining.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Pharoh: 11:45pm On Aug 03, 2010
So what are our recommendations?
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:40am On Aug 04, 2010
pharoh,go enrich yourself.b4 iu got to the states,I worked in a cafe and learnt a few about tech but over here on my own I have learnt enough to be able to successfully run an IT biz of my own,did not go to any school,did not ask obama to open cyber learning spot for me,i dug down and esearched and I am better for it now and hopefully looking forward to bringing cheap affordable solar energy to naija,that is if winch no begin pursue me
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Maximip(m): 3:06am On Aug 04, 2010
I cannot deny that video games helped me in developing some basic computer instincts like navigating menus and

editing settings. I'll also like to add that it's very important to start early when there's a better chance of still having

that interest to learn. Any child who has had some fun with video games will never be overwhelmed by most phones,

ATMs, POS, VCR, Home theatre, etc. But Nigeria has to take some blame too. Can you imagine a University graduate that

has not touched a computer before? even computer science graduates,  Makes me angry already.

I need to contest for Governor in my state. 
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:16am On Aug 04, 2010
i rem playing Snes and sega mega 64 back in the day,steddied me for the coming of ps though,cant get off my 360,play online football regularly and u quite get to meet people on there to expand your technical know how,anyone know how to make a video sig on nairaland,i sincerly doubt so but go see 13 yr olds making video signatures that are awesome jst by using basic ms office and adobe programs
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Akosbaba(m): 5:17am On Aug 04, 2010
I recommend playing at least one full league season on any playstation(sony) product.lol
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 5:27am On Aug 04, 2010
Hi-tech
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by FBS: 8:01am On Aug 04, 2010
IMO. . .I think with constant electricity, everything will fall into its rightful place.
We will get there.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by VALIDATOR: 8:40am On Aug 04, 2010
This is a topic that is very dear to me. We first need to understand that what we are getting is a result of what was put into the system.

Our attitude toward learning and ability to accept and co-ordinate facts and reject irrelevancies is greatly tied to our culture. No matter how much we play electronic games or how long we spend schooling,we still have our culture to contend with.

The Nigerian (and indeed the whole of sub-sahara African) culture is a culture that is yet to evolve to a level where people are able to co-ordinate facts and reject irrelevancies. The Indian  culture is just there.European culture has been there since long time ago.

A very simple example is this recent thread
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-489655.0.html

From the thread,you see that fact-finding about burundanga is not at all expensive but people chose to be ignorant.That is our culture.

NOW,THE SOLUTION
Our Educational System is just too overloaded with too many unhelpful irrelevancies to cram.It should be re-designed.

Elementary Education -- Children should be trained on how to observe and accurately report their observation.
Secondary Education-- Children should be trained on how to draw facts from observations reported by others.
Tertiary Education --  Children should be trained on how to draw facts from and work with abstract concepts.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by phoenixsta: 9:35am On Aug 04, 2010
tobaina:

I think that we should just create a new generation of X-BOX and other game players cos this really go along way in building interest in technology.
Can't believe the organization i'm working for is paying millions for this sophisticated software and not even the project supervisor can really say what the software is really working, except for this play-station and other mini gadgets freak who is managing to see to it's working.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by JUO(m): 9:55am On Aug 04, 2010
X-BOX and PS which one is better?
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Mobinga: 10:50am On Aug 04, 2010
We need Constant Electricity. Imagine if we had that, imagine, I would have been so so so so good in IT, although I aint bad, but I would have been better. I always tell my family that any American that isn't successful must be very very lazy
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 12:45pm On Aug 04, 2010
Mobinga:

We need Constant Electricity. Imagine if we had that, imagine, I would have been so so so so good in IT, although I aint bad, but I would have been better. I always tell my family that any American that isn't successful must be very very lazy

FBS:

IMO. . .I think with constant electricity, everything will fall into its rightful place.
We will get there.

Agree fully. In latter years I have bought less and less electronic equipment, especially since I got married, and the electricity consumption multiplied with the number of people in my house (wife, kid, siblings/wife's siblings, etc) . Sometimes you get home to find that the TV, DSTV box, and entire sound system is all blown out by the small Chinese generator, when the home crowd were too busy watching Africa Magic to remember to turn on the surge protector system. That can be depressing.

As a student, and later as a bachelor, I lived and breathed electronics, computing, and programming. At one point I had maybe three or four pimped desktops, and two laptops. One desktop I used almost entirely as a game console. Now sometimes I feel I have no space to operate. Just to install VMWare Desktop on my home laptop is now a chore, as I always run into someone surfing facebook on the machine.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 04, 2010
going by the computer section, i guess the issue is that most nigerians are just too lazy and will always prefer to pay an expert to resolve their issues rather than try to solve them by themselves

theres also teh mindse issue. practically any challenge i'm unable to resolve - i hit up google, and theres the answer.

but teh fellas in my it ept don't seem to have a clue about googling issues.

i guess there's also the issue of being content - as in hey office 2003 works - why bother with 2007 - xp works why bother with vista

it is migration that really forces us to become techies, and sepeartes those who actually understand from those who are simply learning by rote - (watch oga click that icon on the pc - do the same)

most of my techie ability came from having to resolve issues on my own - and i guess the same applies to ther techies -
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 2:43pm On Aug 04, 2010
oyb:

going by the computer section, i guess the issue is that most nigerians are just too lazy and will always prefer to pay an expert to resolve their issues rather than try to solve them by themselves

theres also teh mindse issue. practically any challenge i'm unable to resolve - i hit up google, and theres the answer.

i guess there's also the issue of being content - as in hey office 2003 works - why bother with 2007 - xp works why bother with vista

it is migration that really forces us to become techies, and sepeartes those who actually understand from those who are simply learning by rote - (watch oga click that icon on the pc - do the same)

most of my techie ability came from having to resolve issues on my own - and i guess the same applies to ther techies -

I guess this is kinda like what I noticed from visiting fast food joints in Europe and the Middle East.
In Europe, you dispose of your own tray, in Dubai, some waiter does it for you.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 04, 2010
^^^^^

never thought of that - i remeber in some buka - the guy there said i must be oyibo, becuase i went to the freezer to organize my soft drinks rather than ask the serving people
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by mecussey(m): 7:26pm On Aug 04, 2010
I support some people here; VIDEO GAMES develops some technical mentality. You won't believe that I still play video games at my age, not really for fun, but it's something I've seen as a necessity since child hood. You need to see how I think when somebody defeats me. I think why, I think how, I think strategy; which are essential in every success, and I can proudly tell you that I am good in technology and common brain.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by CGKing(m): 11:32pm On Aug 04, 2010
Have you guys ever wondered at the biological and scientific reasons why kids yearn to play games? If you can figure it out, you would know that games arent a waste at all. As a matter of fact, they are neccessities.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by cystein(m): 12:54am On Aug 05, 2010
Technophobia is everywhere even in the US. It will take time to fully be embraced. However, for government issues, the bulk goes to kickback costs hence the shady job. Take it easy because we never use our vote wisely. Its africa you know
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 9:18am On Aug 05, 2010
simple >>> our leaders dem dey chop our money !!!! grin grin
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by martinosi: 10:31am On Aug 05, 2010
tensor777:

I was very surprised that you did not immediately get the point of his post.undecided  Clearly such games have educational and instructional value and stimulate creativity.
Effective learning is not  about cramming textbooks but stimulating the mind to think innovatively. This is easier when it is seen as fun as well as challenging.

Good point, It all about creativity and innovation and
lets call a spade a spade!!! right now Nigeria as a nation and Nigerians
students are being left behind in the technology world,

Everything is software and online now and no matter
want degree you study in Universities abroad u must use a computer to do your couruse work or research everyday or check emails, even secondary school students abroad are using Computers now,

and when i went back to the Secondary school that i finished from in Lagos, they were still doing the archiving and records manually!!!

hardly no computers, only a couple, one to type Admin stuff etc and a printer to print the Exams questions, But the Principle had a Laptop !!!

WHAT!!!! i was sooo goob-smacked man!!!! And the school was supposed to be a
above average school!!!
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Jencejyde(m): 11:58am On Aug 05, 2010
oyb:

God Bless you very plenty!

AjanleKoko:

Agree fully. In latter years I have bought less and less electronic equipment, especially since I got married, and the electricity consumption multiplied with the number of people in my house (wife, kid, siblings/wife's siblings, etc) . Sometimes you get home to find that the TV, DSTV box, and entire sound system is all blown out by the small Chinese generator, when the home crowd were too busy watching Africa Magic to remember to turn on the surge protector system. That can be depressing.

As a student, and later as a bachelor, I lived and breathed electronics, computing, and programming. At one point I had maybe three or four pimped desktops, and two laptops. One desktop I used almost entirely as a game console. Now sometimes I feel I have no space to operate. Just to install VMWare Desktop on my home laptop is now a chore, as I always run into someone surfing facebook on the machine.

I feel your pain bros.

milehigh06:

if you think the malams,ngati-ngati and kedu you vote into power every four yrs know what tech is all about you are all mistaken,GJ said he has a facebook page,ask him how many gadgets on facebook has he ever tried using?
Education with the advent of the internet can esily be acquired by the click of your mouse,instead of them searching on how to enrich themselves knowledge wise,its yaho yahoo that came up.
I tried speaking to someone regarding streaming Nigerian tv from Nigeia to US via P2P and after almost killin myslf explaining wht P2P is and what it takes,the next thing I get is a request for money to chop.

On point! Infact, very very correct!

I dont know if anyone knows about Gary kasparov(Great chess player) and his foundation where they are proposing to the US Govt to inculcate the game of Chess into the educational system as a compulsory course for students at all grades. This just goes to show that already people are realising the benefits of what some mind games can do and are trying to take advantage of it. Here,,(May God help us) it's a sad story.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Mobinga: 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2010
YeahI know Kasparov that Chess guy who played a match with Deep Blue(The chess playing computer). . . . . . . . . . . . I guess If Nigeria should be a High Tech Nation, our Infrastructure should be developed, Im even scared of doin a BIOS flashing sef
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Jencejyde(m): 10:49am On Aug 06, 2010
Mobinga:

YeahI know Kasparov that Chess guy who played a match with Deep Blue(The chess playing computer). . . . . . . . . . . . I guess If Nigeria should be a High Tech Nation, our Infrastructure should be developed, Im even scared of doin a BIOS flashing sef
Correct guy!
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by Blackode: 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2010
Hi Tech? when we don't produce a single electrical component in Nigeria. Every 'Hi-Tech' product(ATM, Phones, Laptops etc) we use was imported from some Asian country. Nigeria is awash with imported sub-standard electronics that even international manufacturers create crap products and put "To be sold in Africa" I still saw one Acer laptop with that on it. Without us building a good self sufficient Technology industry we would not get anywhere techwise.

And while it's individually productive to engage in one form of entertaining cognitive activity, taunting the XBOX or The PS as an educative device is the result of good marketing on the part of the manufacturer. My advice? go play table tennis or some similar sport or better still start a local electronic entertainment hardware and software industry.

We have a good amount of 'brains' here in Nigeria and we have only succeeded in exporting them.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by obataala(m): 7:52am On Aug 07, 2010
In all of your responses they look like one piece taken apart but you wont notice this. while, because u all are expressing disappointmented and anger. Education allows u to know existence of a problem but a solution is exclusively a talent. Computer games can only propel mental alertness in that simulation between the hands and the eyes are enhanced although it could drive the love for gadgets with similarities the real mccoy, and handling them like toys. You need talent to make it beneficial to mankind.in other word its a source of viberation. Do not underestimate the force of poverty cos ,it slips u anytime.in this society of ours, the provision of these apparatus and other aide to developing the mind is seen as extravagance when there is no might:as a kid have u cried for something probably a rubber wrist watch,scientific calculator or kids games -in the late 80s and early 90s and were told by ur parent that u're a a spoilt child?. It blinds one in other 2 b slipped,so also most of our productive life are spent at d office.where would one find the time 2 b abreast and explore hi-tech.kids too dont get to try-out their mental and creative abilities.after schooling hours they cross to lesson time, they dont get to home until 6pm ,or are sent on hawking.
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by dynamictee: 11:23am On Aug 08, 2010
hemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: The Great Tech Debate: Why Hi-tech Is Way Behind In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 10:09pm On Jul 16, 2011
Hi tech development started from the government labs and the universities, then the post-war corporations and Silicon Valley scientists, and finally hobbyists caught on, and blew things open.

Since the Nigerian government is doing absolutely nothing, I wonder how common people struggling to avoid the Big Government Shoe crushing them will have time to pick up tech as a hobby.

Tragic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buy From Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, USA and We Ship To You In Nigeria / Do You Check Weather Forecasts To Plan For Your Day? / Contribution Of Science And Technology In Agriculture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.