Stats: 3,148,797 members, 7,802,548 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills (34627 Views)

Channels TV Addresses Dame Patient As President Of Nigeria [photo] / Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 / Has Anyone Heard A Word From Dame Patience Recently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by oludashmi(f): 10:51am On Aug 04, 2010
Based on the topic, honestly the first time I heard the first lady speak, everyone around me looked at each other and shook their heads. It is not only about her grammar even her voice is so wide and husky. She needs to go for speech training and grammar.

For those saying english is not our local language, I agree but with her position - First Lady, it would have been better to speak perfectly in her local language like the chinese, indians etc and have a very good interpreter than speak like she does before the international community.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Vindy: 12:14pm On Aug 04, 2010
Many Nigerians out can speak very fluent English but can not write. Others can write well can't speak.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by obiem(m): 1:17pm On Aug 04, 2010
@Nchara, agreed my english is second rate but is definitely better than the Dame's grin

I think i'm wrong classifying her problem as 'poor communication skill' , it's isn't it is simply ' inability to speak the language'
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 1:41pm On Aug 04, 2010
obiem:

@Nchara, agreed my english is second rate but is definitely better than the Dame's grin

I think i'm wrong classifying her problem as 'poor communication skill' , it's isn't it is simply ' inability to speak the language'
What's that?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 1:48pm On Aug 04, 2010
hercules07:

@David,

Small correction French is also spoken in Canada, please continue to lecture the agaba guy on why a public figure should be able to articulate herself properly. My mum did not attend Secondary school but her spoken English is probably better than mine.
Are you talking about articulation or spoken English? One can speak impeccable English grammar-wise but cannot articulate his point.

You made two sentences and one was supposed to support the other but both were saying different things?

Articulation is a component of communication skills which is very different from your ability to blow grammar.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by pendusky(m): 2:11pm On Aug 04, 2010
The Rise Against GoodLuck Jonathan Has Begin! I must warn Beware!
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Claus(m): 2:26pm On Aug 04, 2010
If I may ask, why is she addressed as a “Dame”? Is she a British subject or something? If I am not mistaken, that title Dame is the female equivalent of Sir for the British Knighthood, reserved only for British citizens/subjects.

Or is it part of the Nigerian obsession with big but meaningless titles.

Looks like a fake title to me.

However, the Sir/Dame title is not reserved for British citizens/subjects. Our own Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was knighted by the Queen in 1960. Your idea is right though that wherever you see Dame/Sir, it is generally believe to be a British given honour. I suppose though that any other kingdom has the right to create a similar honour system.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 04, 2010
Pls send this post to Goodluck Jonathan @ facebook.com.
This can change so many things, just like the way, he changed his mind on our soccer national team.

Have you tasted half done indomie kiss
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 04, 2010
This was the same woman that was caught at the airport trying to launder  $400,000 when her husband became the governor of bayelsa after the impeachment of Alameysigha , immediately the news went on dailies newspapers EFFCC waded in and before you know it the case was history.Obasanjo and Ribadu then EFFC Chairman closed the case.Now I see the link between RIBADU AND GOODLUCK. I think this is the reason why GOODLUCK HOLDS RIBADU IN HIGH ESTEEM BECAUSE HE COVERED HIS SECRET. NOW PEOPLE ARE CLAMOURING FOR GOODLUCK TO BE PRESIDENT IN 2011 WHEN PEOPLE LIKE OBASANJO, ANENIH AND EDWIN CLARK ARE BEHIND HIM THE ROGUES THAT HAVE RUINED NIGERIA. NOW COMING TO IBB HE IS ALSO NOT THE MAN TO SAVE NIGERIA. BUT IF THE PRESIDENTIAL RACE IS LEFT BETWEEN GOODLUCK AND IBB.I THINK I WILL GO FOR IBB CAUSE HE IS THE GODFATHER AND WILL NOT BE ANSWERABLE TO ANYONE UNLIKE GOODLUCK THAT HAS SO MANY GODFATHERS.I AM NOT SUPPORTING IBB IN ANY WAY BUT IF IBB DECIDES TO CHANGE NIGERIA HE WILL JUST LIKE I THINK OBJ HAD THE CHANCE AND HE BLEW IT. BUT I WANT TO SAY STRONGLY THAT NEITHER JONATHAN NOR IBB NOR ANY OTHER CONTESTANT THAT HAVE DECALRED AS OF TODAY IS THE MAN TO CHANGE NIGERIA.

GOD WILL GIVE NIGERIA A MESSIAH IN JESUS NAME
AMEN
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 04, 2010
Claus:

If I may ask, why is she addressed as a “Dame”? Is she a British subject or something? If I am not mistaken, that title Dame is the female equivalent of Sir for the British Knighthood, reserved only for British citizens/subjects.

Or is it part of the Nigerian obsession with big but meaningless titles.

Looks like a fake title to me.

However, the Sir/Dame title is not reserved for British citizens/subjects. Our own Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was knighted by the Queen in 1960. Your idea is right though that wherever you see Dame/Sir, it is generally believe to be a British given honour. I suppose though that any other kingdom has the right to create a similar honour system.

The Christain churches in Nigeria do Knight people, men are called Sir, women are called Dame. This is why you have folks like Sir Peter Odili and Dame Patience Jonathan.

I feel so sorry for this woman for it is not a crime not to have the luxury of going to University. It is also possible that while Jonathan was acquiring all the degrees in this world this woman was simply working to support both of them. Lets be fair to her she is not the President. She did not sign up for this. When she chose Jonathan as Husband many years ago she did not put any of this into consideration, she only married the man she loved.

Lets focus these attacks on our President who has a PhD but can't seem to articulate his points. Lets just leave his wife and family out of this.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by snowdrops(m): 2:58pm On Aug 04, 2010
men this is really funny. maybe we should ask Honourable Patrick Obahiagbon to organise some english classes for her.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by VALIDATOR: 3:02pm On Aug 04, 2010
if america was so bent on speaking and writing english the exact way england does there will be no american english today.maybe also america would not have been as great. It's hi time we learned to focus on what gets the job done rather that sticking to some colonial era pattern of thinking.

the meaning of "it is not easy to carry second" is understood by virtually every nigerian including the poster.that is good communication.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by MrCork1: 3:05pm On Aug 04, 2010
I guess its her Okoro accent ( no offence)
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2010
VALIDATOR:

if america was so bent on speaking and writing english the exact way england does there will be no american english today.maybe also america would not have been as great. It's hi time we learned to focus on what gets the job done rather that sticking to some colonial era pattern of thinking.

the meaning of "it is not easy to carry second" is understood by virtually every nigerian including the poster.that is good communication.

Awww! Thank you my bro/sis from another mother wink
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by sayso: 3:16pm On Aug 04, 2010
Guys even Sarah Palin made a mistake by forming her own word.REFUDIATE.

http://gawker.com/5590304/sarah-palin-invents-new-word-refudiate

pls leave our Dame alone.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by chibaby5(f): 3:24pm On Aug 04, 2010
Wow ds is a shame! Av actually noticed alotta nigerians are not good wiv english
Even da 1z dat went thru University their english is still poor undecided
They think it lies in just throwing in big big grammar once in awhile in a convo cheesy grin tongue
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Vavavoom(m): 3:30pm On Aug 04, 2010
Biko nu, ona no go kill person for dis NL grin.
Public speaking is an art, so too writing. One can endear himself/herself to his/her listening audience based on how articulate his/her points are put together; therefore if you choose to seek public light you must prepare yourself for the responsibilities that come with the office. she's the wife of an incumbent president and expected to at some point represent him in minor civic duties. Imagine isuch public forum where Dame Patience Jonathan was holding brief for her hubby,
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by kufreabasi(m): 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2010
That is why we got it all wrong. @ poster!!!
what is your concern with here grammer so to say?
Have you been to other countries and see them using their language to express and address their fellow citizens.
Madam (our First lady), carry go. no mind am.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2010
'i wish king sunny ade soonest recover'
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2010
^ Who said that one? grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by ozenyen(m): 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2010
how does spoken English improves good governance? except u can convince me that it will help in solving all the problem faced in this country otherwise its irrelevant
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by kemisuga(f): 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2010
Na real wa for you guys!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Somebody is in the top level in control. She gets anything she want in a twinkling of an eye.  She is amidst wealth. You busy correcting English errors.

It is a thing, to know how to speak good English, it is another thing to know how to use it correctly. Most people who correct Spoken English, cant write down good English.

WHO AMONGST YOU, HAS NOT MADE A BLUNDER B4 SHOULD SIMPLIFY HERE sad
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 04, 2010
http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/books/845/idiamin.htm

Memorable Speeches of Idi Amin

After a luncheon hosted by the Queen in London in his honour, the former Ugandan leader Idi Amin had this to say for his vote of thanks. (Personally I cannot believe this is true.)

"Mr Queen, Sir, Horrible Ministers, invented guests, ladies under gentlemen. I thank the Queen very plenty for what he has done to me. I tell you, I have eaten so much that I am now fed up with malicious meal.

Before I continue, I would kindly ask you to open the windows so that the climate may get in plenty. But before I go back I must invert Mr Queen to my country and I can assure you, Mr Queen that when you come, I shall revenge to you. You will eat a full cow and I will work very difficult to make sure that you will come back with a very full stomach.

For now I am sorry that I have just made a short call on you. The next time I will make a long one possible for a full moon. Thank you for letting me UnCloth you in front of all the disgusting people."

The speech below was also allegedly made by him.

"Ladies and Women, my beloved husbands and men in this general assembly I am thank you very difficult for your kind to forgive me this hour to talk about Africa and my country which is in Uganda. First I am Field MArshal Dr Al Haj Idi Amin Dada the life President of my country I am apologised because I have not deaded Archbishop Jamani Luwum when so many people tell me so many questions about him. His death on my behalf was happened with accident which was in the car when he walked with it. So again let me teach that as far as I am knowing and even the two Ministers all Oboth-Ofumbi and Oryema was all of the two deaded in one of that very accident. So I am not mistake you see.

Another words is for the order in my country in Uganda. The Press Newsmen which you can all look them here will wanted to know the law orders of my country. They have enquiring me many questions on because my policemen don't catch people in court while they have just them lost them on the way. No this is not the right yet all of them who are catched by my fellow policemen are removed for court. When the court does not find them good enough and tis them with all mistakes beginning from one month to ten years with even above. So we attempt people in court before we die them in prisons and those you understand about them dead are if they travel with care and they don't find control and miss in the bush where they previously dead themself as my men invent their death. Uganda is a peace loving brother country when people enjoy as is they are in another country. This is the true about one country.

Dr Kurt Waldheim you are very beautiful in one of these husbands. I think you are this beauty to look what is going in South Africa and Rhodesia. I am sending two hours to whites as if they choose freedom to African Brothers or you will not blame me and I take a wondering action to blow them.

Lass of that I am thank your lunch which is smelly good. I am again fed up with it and I have admitted to revenge when bothe of you are invented by Uganda. Thank you very hard an we shall collide everywhere else in internal."

When the Queen later asked the journalists present what on earth Amin had said, they replied that it was in a language similar to English, but that was all they could say.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Wallie(m): 4:27pm On Aug 04, 2010
This is a radioactive topic but I’ll go ahead and touch it any way.

I think it is very important for public figures to communicate effectively. Things that detract from your message should be avoided at all cost except if there’s no message to begin with.

It is true that English “came” to Nigeria on a boat but since its arrival, it’s being our national language. People educated in Nigeria are taught in English and the books they use are also in English. A graduate should be able to speak without grammatical errors or at the very least, recognize the errors when they’re made. The inability of a college graduate to speak without grammatical errors is a reflection of the school(s) he/she went to.

Mind you, it is ok to speak with your tribal accent.

Do you know that at the graduate level (masters), some textbooks that French speaking Canadians use are in English? Can you imagine studying from a textbook in a language you took in secondary school?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 04, 2010
ozenyen:

how does spoken English improves good governance? except u can convince me that it will help in solving all the problem faced in this country otherwise its irrelevant

Ability to communicate your agenda is very important in a democracy. That way you can inspire the people to coalese around a common cause because people will begin to hope again. When this is achieved policy implementation becomes easier, the Government looks stronger and will have the ability to push back lobbyists who may not want some people oriented policies to take route because of their private interest.

Ability to communicate you policies can also help the NASS approve bills they may ordinarily have difficulties approving.

In this age communication is key to governance man. In our Country where English Language is the Lingua Franca, anybody hoping to lead us should be a fluent English Speaker. We have 300 ethnic groups in Nigeria and I can not imagine Jonathan speaking in Ijaw and the language being translated into 300 languages.

So our Presidents must communicate effectively in English language. After 50years since independence this should be a turning point in our story. Let us demand a President who looks Presidential both in communication, brilliance, mastery of politics and diplomacy and also  dresses well. All of these tells you how organised an individual will be in that office.

If you think its ok to pick some motor park guy to be our President because we are Nigerians. Well they will continue in their jaga jaga method of running things.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 04, 2010
it will be interesting if she chooses to play the wife during johnathan's campaign

plenty of material for our comedians if they are so inclined

"vote for johnatahan and nigeria will stop taking second in africa " and so on
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Wallie(m): 4:39pm On Aug 04, 2010
kemisuga:

…It is a thing, to know how to speak good English, it is another thing to know how to use it correctly. Most people who correct Spoken English, cant write down good English.

WHO AMONGST YOU, HAS NOT MADE A BLUNDER B4 SHOULD SIMPLIFY HERE sad

Kemi, I think it’s the other way around. It is a lot harder to speak “correctly” than to write especially if English is not your first language.

Also, everybody makes grammatical mistakes even people who only speak English and it is somewhat acceptable depending on the setting. Written grammatical errors, however, are seriously frowned upon in almost any setting.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by babariches: 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2010
Eehyah you see many of our politicians have been used to speech reading that is being prepared by someone else.

Not only her i have seen many of our politicians committing this same blunders.

May God deliver us.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 04, 2010
in the end we shouldn't be suprised - on the other side of the spectrum, we have incoherent dolts like patrick obiagon who is about all disjointed mixed up big english words
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by kobikwelu(m): 4:58pm On Aug 04, 2010
wetin consign tongue tongue tongue tongue the woman??

all she knows is that she is the FIRST lady,

if any of u dont like it , suck on a lemon grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 04, 2010
kobikwelu:

wetin consign tongue tongue tongue tongue the woman??

all she knows is that she is the FIRST lady,

if any of u dont like it , suck on a lemon grin grin grin grin grin

to take first lady is not a small thing ooooo
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by kobikwelu(m): 5:16pm On Aug 04, 2010
^^^^

and that includes you mrs turaya!!!

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
****************disclaimer*******************

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

DPR Gives Out FREE Fuel To Motorists In Kwara / President Buhari To Go On Leave, Osibanjo To Serve As Acting President / Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50%

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62