Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,733 members, 7,802,215 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO (7371 Views)

Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year / Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner / Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Kobojunkie: 3:46am On Aug 05, 2010
Are condoms no longer free in Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by MaziUche0(m): 4:28am On Aug 05, 2010
Use a condom? shocked

Na wa o. I think not. . .
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Eddeux(m): 4:49am On Aug 05, 2010
don't worry this could be a benefit if the govt invests in infrastructure development and education. Nigeria could be the next source of cheap labor for American/European business!
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Akosbaba(m): 5:28am On Aug 05, 2010
This guy's wrong,we're already over 150 million.By 2040,we'll be close to 400
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by MaziUche0(m): 5:29am On Aug 05, 2010
Eddeux:

don't worry this could be a benefit if the govt invests in infrastructure development and education. Nigeria could be the next source of cheap labor for American/European business!

Gbam! I said that earlier in this thread.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by THEAMAKA(f): 6:00am On Aug 05, 2010
@Eddeux
thought the same thing too. you know Nigeria will just turn into a puppet for the west.
no backbone.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by uyakachi(m): 10:22am On Aug 05, 2010
THIS ONLY REASON I CALLED THIS PEOPLE WITCH BECAUSE THEM DEY SEE TOMOROW AND YESTERDAY
HOW COME THEY KNOW SAY I WAN MARRY FIVE( 5) WIVES AND HAVE LIKE 50 CHILDREN, ATLEAST TEN FOR EACH,,,,,
THEY ARE REALLY WITCH, IT WILL BE A GOOD DEVOLOPMENT
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 05, 2010
Eddeux:

Well I envisage the private sector being the real engine for economic growth and development in Nigeria in the coming decades.This means yes more foreign direct investment and more skilled labour and capital from countries like India,  China  and even Lebanon.
The Federal Government is not in the position -  presently or in the near future - to pump more money into the system or act as some kind of Santa Claus figure.

That aside there is no way that the country would be able to maintain current living standards if the birth rate and so population basically doubles. There definitely needs to be a more concerted family planning program by the authorities. That could mean distribution of free condoms in the rural areas.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 05, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Yes, proven to be a member of the typical US vs. THEM crowd. . . . If you do not agree with them, you are AGAINST them and in most cases, an enemy!!!

sheeesh!!

A lot of people are just jumping on the bandwagon. For example countries like China were able to control their population growth by enforcing a one child per family policy. What is more such countries have heavily invested in Education and Training for the girl-child. This in of itself naturally reduces the birth rate.

A more concrete example of a country that has not controlled its population is in fact Ethiopia where the population has doubled in the last 20 years but is still dependent on food aid.

It is a case of an agressive majority trying to force their opinions on others.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by ezeagu(m): 10:53am On Aug 05, 2010
I don't like where this boat is sailing to. embarassed
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 05, 2010
^Where do you think it is headed?
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by ezeagu(m): 11:01am On Aug 05, 2010
makajibbz:

shocked angry
where we won put those people , inside lagos.
non-sense, there ar no facilities to breed dis amont of pple, nigeria will jus turn to ' dooms town' home of anarchy.
pls evri guy, hold your **** u can afford condoms. cool

'Will just turn'? It has already turned into home of anarchy for more than 20 years now.

tensor777:

^Where do you think it is headed?

No light + Little to no running water + Little to no medical care + 300,000,000 people = . . . embarassed
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by tkb417(m): 11:03am On Aug 05, 2010
tensor777:

Well I envisage the private sector being the real engine for economic growth and development in Nigeria in the coming decades.This means yes more foreign direct investment and more skilled labour and capital from countries like India,  China  and even Lebanon.
The Federal Government is not in the position -  presently or in the near future - to pump more money into the system or act as some kind of Santa Claus figure.

That aside there is no way that the country would be able to maintain current living standards if the birth rate and so population basically doubles. There definitely needs to be a more concerted family planning program by the authorities. That could mean distribution of free condoms in the rural areas.

thank u
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 05, 2010
ezeagu:

No light + Little to no running water + Little to no medical care + 300,000,000 people = . . . embarassed
Yes that would be a recpe for disaster. Things like spiralling crime and banditry and mini insurgencies springing up here and there as people battle it out for scarce resources.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by tkb417(m): 11:13am On Aug 05, 2010
Read your statements and anyone with a brain can see what you are implying. So why are you arguing? Do you even remember?

i think Kobo usually forgets why he/she enters an argument

sometimes i really wanna take a hammer and conk his/her head for chatting nonsense
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Kobojunkie: 3:03pm On Aug 05, 2010
tkb417:

i think Kobo usually forgets why he/she enters an argument
sometimes i really wanna take a hammer and conk his/her head for chatting nonsense

Dude . . . I responded to your Claims that even with our current track record, an increase would be in our good and this same government which has failed the day is to blame for the reason why Nigeria is yet to reach it's potential will suddenly wake up or something.

No, that is not rational in anyway. What we NEED right now is not look at what countries like Russia or Japan are doing in their own situation but look at our situation and create a taylor made solution for our own problem. We do not have the same problem Europe, russia, Japan etc have at this point. We fail to admit that China had at some point SOLVE it's Population issue, rather we want to compare ourselves with the final RESULT of that solution.

We cannot even maintain what we have now, I don't see how GROWING will make it all go away, or create opportunities(NOTE: these opportunities ALREADY EXIST and have been for decades now)as you claim. We ought to apply common sense to real life. If anything, we need NOW to drastically educate people on the benefits of having smaller family units, before this overtakes us. 75% of our population currently lives on less than $2 a day, and the figures have RISEN, with population increase, over the last decade. How can an INCREASE help improve that?
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by ada24: 3:12pm On Aug 05, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Dude . . . I responded to your Claims that even with our current track record, an increase would be in our good and this same government which has failed the day is to blame for the reason why Nigeria is yet to reach it's potential will suddenly wake up or something.

No, that is not rational in anyway. What we NEED right now is not look at what countries like Russia or Japan are doing in their own situation but look at our situation and create a taylor made solution for our own problem. We do not have the same problem Europe, russia, Japan etc have at this point. We fail to admit that China had at some point SOLVE it's Population issue, rather we want to compare ourselves with the final RESULT of that solution.

We cannot even maintain what we have now, I don't see how GROWING will make it all go away, or create opportunities(NOTE: these opportunities ALREADY EXIST and have been for decades now)as you claim. We ought to apply common sense to real life. If anything, we need NOW to drastically educate people on the benefits of having smaller family units, before this overtakes us. 75% of our population currently lives on less than $2 a day, and the figures have RISEN, with population increase, over the last decade. How can an INCREASE help improve that?

ABI!!!!!!!!!!!! just look at the decay of morals, crime and corruption embedded in Nigeria - u think that comes from access to basic human needs for all. when people are fighting to survive the day or try and find money to eat 1 meal a day is it 300 million that will improve this situation.

people are talking of foreign investment - u think these oil companies can go to a developed nation and do what they have done to the Niger delta and get away with it and u think the Chinese and Lebanese are the ones to treat Nigerians as human beings in their own country.

where a child can die of malaria cos the parents can't afford N500 tablets, kids are hawking on the street cos the parents don't have money to put them in school or worse still some people pump out these children with the sole aim of being child workers. I am not saying the poor should not have children but if you can't afford 2 meals a day let alone 3 u have no business bringing more than 1 child into this world to suffer.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 05, 2010
ada24:

people are talking of foreign investment - u think these oil companies can go to a developed nation and do what they have done to the Niger delta and get away with it and u think the Chinese and Lebanese are the ones to treat Nigerians as human beings in their own country.

Well lets get things straight. There has to be foreign direct investment for the country's economy to continue to grow and for employment to be generated. There is no way Nigeria can continue to rely on finite fossil fuels or even whatsoever other mineral resources it may have. Governments in Nigeria have NO CHOICE really but to be investor-friendly and yes to allow in skilled labour and capital from countries like India, China and Lebanon.

This is quite separate from this population growth talk which I believe is based on idle speculation and non-existent data. Nevertheless the country is not yet equipped to handle a tripling of  its population.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 05, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Now that is very clear. Countries like Japan Belgium and Holland have been able to curb their population growth so it makes no sense at all for some posters to be comparing Nigeria wih these countries. They are already fully developed and industrialized, with agriculture and mining for instance, forming a minuscule percentage of national output.
On the other hand in Nigeria a large percentage of people still live off the land. In such a case a tripling of the population could have untold consequences.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by juman(m): 1:03pm On Feb 25, 2012
The country will break. The problems are too many.

The country has been dipped deeply into the mud.

It's very difficult to pull it out.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by abouzaid: 4:55pm On Feb 27, 2012
This same china we are all praising have been practising one child per couple for how many decades, we seriously need to reduce our growth rate cos i will feel more comfortable with less almajiri children around me.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 7:11am On Oct 31, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Two Scriptural Evidence That Shows The Yoruba Race are From Israel / Reps Seeks 20-year Jail Term For Financial Crimes / Nigerians Attack VP Osinbajo Over Rearrest Of Omoyele Sowore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.