Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,829 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

Let's Have Your Complaints Here - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let's Have Your Complaints Here (113871 Views)

We Get Many Complaints Against Obasanjo Foundation –UK Commission / Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here / How To Send Complaints About Bad Roads In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by AndreUweh(m): 12:22am On Aug 13, 2010
@Moderators: Please can you tell us a any thing regarding the whereabouts of mr crackles, nine to five, Sunny Bobo, 006, Mr fire, Emyah and Ijawman.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Kilode1: 2:09am On Aug 13, 2010
Jarus:

Let's not forget that this thread is meant for issues bordering on Politics section only.
But I know the admin comes here too and he will see your grievance. Personally though, I'm of the opinion that filtered words should cut across board, not limited to a section, but if possible, what the 'filtered word' changes to may vary across sections

I disagree with you. Filtering those flowery words in the sexuality section is just unnecessary. I mean, what self- respecting sexuality board will filter out the F word? it is pure silly censorship, the F word is already standardized in the English dictionary and carries a meaning and weight that your replacement words cannot adequately express.

As for the Politics section. I will argue that your filtering negatively impacts the user experience here on NR,  why can't we describe a "B" act by a Nigerian politician as such? what is the point of censoring the F feeling I'm trying to express on a F issue that F bothers me about my F Country?  we come here to discuss, learn, share and sometimes to just vent.

It is dictatorial and ill-adviced to filter those words out. e.g you use "despoil" to replace a clearly well codified act of crime that can also be metaphorically used as a description for several acts that have nothing to do with sex, Jarus, despoil doesn't cut it. the first time I saw that word in my post I had to go look in the mirror, then check my Birth certificate, the word is simply archaic grin. The R word is not insulting but descriptive, the context matters. The word ain't the crime.

And if you are worried about kids, then put an age warning on the site and leave the rest to their parents, don't punish your users for that. Moderating a site like this shouldn't be easy but, your creativity must match that of your users, Don't dumb our conversations down or censor us out of Nairaland.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 8:11am On Aug 13, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@Moderators: Please can you tell us a any thing regarding the whereabouts of mr crackles, nine to five, Sunny Bobo, 006, Mr fire, Emyah and Ijawman.
Got no idea about others, but learnt Crackles said he just wanted to take some time off here.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by AndreUweh(m): 8:54am On Aug 13, 2010
Jarus:

Got no idea about others, but learnt Crackles said he just wanted to take some time off here.
Thanks.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by blacksta(m): 12:23pm On Aug 13, 2010
Mr Jarus aka omo ta , or i ti foka si be , Yaba left Manager, I win nu igbo,

The complaint is that i have no complaint yet . grin

I will try again tomorrow.

Have a nice day

Cheers
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by seanet02: 3:04pm On Aug 13, 2010
Jarus:

It's a pity people jump into conclusions without bordering to crosscheck their facts and hurl insults at people.
A simple check of your post history would have shown you that the thread is still here in politics section but since it's not attractive enough to command enough replies it found itself into 2nd, 3rd page

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=494074.msg6541458#top

Very soon you will start blaming Mod for your personal woes
Next time, I will not receive this kind of false, lazy accusation with a smiling face
and where did i hurl insult at you?
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Kobojunkie: 3:45pm On Aug 13, 2010
Rather than locking perfectly good threads, what about deleting the offensive POSTS and sending warnings to the offenders. Why lock the thread on the Gay Nigerian when you could have easily deleted the offensive posts to CLEAN IT UP? Locking perfectly sane topics/threads have yet to help, so why continue to do that?

Why not try deleting offensive posts instead, and making sure to send the offenders a clear message on why. And when I say offensive , I mean actually offending not OFFENSIVE BECAUSE IT DOES NOT SHARE MY VIEW ON THE MATTER offensive.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by t5000: 4:13pm On Aug 13, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Jarus:

Why not say it out? They were all banned!
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 13, 2010
t5000:

Why not say it out? They were all banned!

LWKMD. . .identify yourself. .over
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by tpiah: 8:02pm On Aug 13, 2010
yes, i noticed instead of cleaning up the alimi thread, jarus preferred to lock it.

any particular reason for that?

and which state is the guy from anyway.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Rather than locking perfectly good threads, what about deleting the offensive POSTS and sending warnings to the offenders. Why lock the thread on the Gay Nigerian when you could have easily deleted the offensive posts to CLEAN IT UP? Locking perfectly sane topics/threads have yet to help, so why continue to do that?

Why not try deleting offensive posts instead, and making sure to send the offenders a clear message on why. And when I say offensive , I mean actually offending not OFFENSIVE BECAUSE IT DOES NOT SHARE MY VIEW ON THE MATTER offensive.

Thank You, KoboJ.

Over to you Jarus.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Beaf: 12:55am On Aug 14, 2010
The Alimi thread was extremly offensive in the strotospheric levels of aggressiveness displayed by some NLers of gay bent. Ignoring it didn't work, because it was aggressively kept at the top of all threads by gay proponents with alterior motives.

The political message in the thread was lost from the very first page. The thread was derailed and hijacked; it rapidly became a seedy red light district, gay advert, gay subscription and gay soliciting service, all in the politics section!
More worryingly than the above, there were several explicit threats to sexually assault people with dissenting views. It quickly descended into a very dark, murky chapter on NL.

Jarus, you did well by locking it. Thank you.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Kobojunkie: 1:20am On Aug 14, 2010
There are so many duplicate threads and posts out there you ought to have locked, not locking up threads on the opinion of a few or some intolerant folks.

For an open forum, there ought to be seen a reduced level of bias towards issues. @Jarus
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 14, 2010
I decided to lock it because that, to me, remains the only way of putting it at check. The entire thread has turned into another thing, and arguments and analyses have given way for insults and mudslinging. Things like this don't speak well of a serious forum. I could have even taken a stiffer measure of sending it to recycle bin but I left it there so that the few sane contributions on the thread can still be read and viewed and the reason for its lock can be glaring to later visitors to the thread. Deleting posts cannot help here, Kobo, thanks.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by blacksta(m): 12:59pm On Aug 14, 2010
Jarus aka omo a la ta, Orisha ilorin, Irun mo le Eko

Just wondering " is  it possible to have positive complaints" cause  all i can see around me are moaners

My complaint is coming soon

Cheers
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On Aug 14, 2010
Jarus:

I decided to lock it because that, to me, remains the only way of putting it at check. The entire thread has turned into another thing, and arguments and analyses have given way for insults and mudslinging. Things like this don't speak well of a serious forum. I could have even taken a stiffer measure of sending it to recycle bin but I left it there so that the few sane contributions on the thread can still be read and viewed and the reason for its lock can be glaring to later visitors to the thread. Deleting posts cannot help here, Kobo, thanks.

I beg to differ. Your locking that thread and not sending it to recycle bin actually does exactly what you claim it would have if it were not locked. People can still read, even if they cannot post. And when they find some interesting post on there to respond to, but also find they are unable to post a response, they wonder how free and open this forum is. I personally don't read every post, I skim through to find posts that make some remote sense and I go for those and I bet there are folks out there who do the same.

Locking threads and banning folks have yet to help clean up the image of this forum. You ban, they come back with another monicker or continue the same as soon as you release the ban on their ids. You lock one thread, the same jump to do exactly the same thing on another. Delete their posts with meaningful warnings and they are likely to get tired of posting the same nonsense over and over if they get no chance to even get their offensive posts read by anyone - -they are likely to get the clue after a couple of tries. You have to threat some of these people like you would children. It works in other forums, why not try it here as well? And please be objective in your judgement . . .
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 14, 2010
Ok, I will look at the possibility of unlocking and deleting abusive posts as suggested.
As regard your last sentence, I have always been objective to the best of my humanly possible ability, and I don't know how that comes up here. Have I supported any party or acted in the interest of any party? Pls let me know your intention with that comment
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by mbulela: 10:00pm On Aug 14, 2010
^^^^^^^^^
i am too lazy at present to search.
any link to the gay thread in question?
I am curious.thank you.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 12:33am On Aug 15, 2010
blacksta:

Jarus aka omo a la ta, Orisha ilorin, Irun mo le Eko

Just wondering " is  it possible to have positive complaints" cause  all i can see around me are moaners

My complaint is coming soon

Cheers

olodo, go and ask your primary school teacher. tongue

"Positive complaint". . . .SMH

@Jarus
Every thread is going to end up with a mixture of opposing opinions. Locking that Gay thread should not have occurred.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 1:10am On Aug 15, 2010
There is nothing wrong in having differing views on an issue. In fact, that's the essence of a debate. But when it degenerates into name calling,mudslinging, threatening and insult feast, it's no longer tolerable.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by blacksta(m): 1:35am On Aug 15, 2010
Jarus - aka - E gun Ilorin, Osa meta, Asha, Iya mi so oro nga

I am ready to make my first complaint - I knew it was only matter of time before someone stepped on my toe

I would like to make a negative complaint against Ileke Idi (big mouth) .

Ok sort it out

Chees
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 1:37am On Aug 15, 2010
mtchewwwwww grin grin grin

serious matter. Jarus, those "mudslinging, threats etc" could be easily deleted.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by blacksta(m): 2:29am On Aug 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

mtchewwwwww grin grin grin

serious matter. Jarus, those "mudslinging, threats etc" could be easily deleted.

Second Compliant in one night

_ Harassment

Can you ban this person

-
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 15, 2010
and who deleted my post? undecided
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Kobojunkie: 5:15pm On Aug 15, 2010
Jarus:

Ok, I will look at the possibility of unlocking and deleting abusive posts as suggested.
As regard your last sentence, I have always been objective to the best of my humanly possible ability, and I don't know how that comes up here. Have I supported any party or acted in the interest of any party? Pls let me know your intention with that comment

Well, no particular reason for the last statement. Just ensuring that you know I am all for moderators and admins being objective in the way they carry out their duties regardless of what side of the debate they happen to fall . . . Was not really directed at any particular moderator or admin . . .
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Ibime(m): 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2010
hehehehe. . . . Jarus, welcome to the 9-5 job of moderating the politics section. . . . you will hate Nairaland after doing this job for a couple of months. . . . hehehehe. . . .
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by naijaking1: 9:58pm On Aug 15, 2010
^^^^
It's a dirty difficult job, but someone's got to do it.
Whether, you agree with Jarus on most issues or not, it's obvious that so far, he's doing a good job as a moderator.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 16, 2010
Ibime:

hehehehe. . . . Jarus, welcome to the 9-5 job of moderating the politics section. . . . you will hate Nairaland after doing this job for a couple of months. . . . hehehehe. . . .
Bros e no easy o grin
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by james1(m): 5:07pm On Aug 16, 2010
Hi everyone.the moderators and the rest of you should not sweat or lose any sleep over peeps abusing themselves over anything;that, my friends is the dynamics itself that makes any site exciting.it is cheering that there are always peeps ready to educate,enlighten or correct one as they so deem fit.
As for banning peeps,you moderators should be careful about using ban or the threat to;some MODs use this a little too recklessly.the best is to advise such person to go to the appropriate department to express him or herself.
Lest you MODs forget:the reason Seun set up this site is to make profit,sending customers packing will defeat that purpose.
Am happy for the racism,sectarianism section.
I suggest ban be banned!!!
Nobody is anybody's underdog here.we all came here to have fun;once the fun is stopped,it becomes boring,peeps will stop visiting.
I like Seun;an astute businessman who takes critism in his stride and improves at his game.
I know how much critism Seun got especially from me.the guy just kept improving and is worth so much now because of this.
One more,stop deleting post anyhow.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 16, 2010
But there are forum rules?
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by james1(m): 11:25pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Jarus.oh yes,there are.but do know that whilst we try to maintain sanity;we must have the customers in the big picture;rubbish sells hence musical lyrics that are nothing short of praise singing and ego hyping sells like wild fire spreads what happen's on twitter;plain rubbish to some but they have huge followership especially among very young peeps,they like to express themselves and anywhere they are allowed to do as they like,they flock.
Have you visited friendfinder?unbelievable things go down and peeps just love it,the result?crazy levels of membership,peeps pay.there are many others,the success stories are endless with such sites.
I am not just typing for typing sake,I love this site and I have plans;if I wanted a MODs job,I would have gotten it long ago.peeps leave facebook complaining that it is dry.I repeatedly told them that it is because they have no exciting member in their group.
Over four years ago a new site needed to drive up membership;my phone rang,i answered,the voice at the other end mentioned my name.oupon my inquiring,he said he is calling on behalf of his company,the new internet site,where he is a partner.he noticed my post in NL so he said,he said he likes my post and believes I can convince peeps to join them.the long and short of it;we talked many days and I finally turned them down because they refused to take sound advise and they thought a $100 is a lot of money to me,big mistake.
I don't want anyone to ruin my future investment.
Thank you.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints Here by xterra2(m): 12:29am On Aug 17, 2010
Our Moderators Jarus and Aisha you people are not active at all, Kosovo was active
Anyway,we dont like the way you are appointed
Let an election be called,whoever get elected be the moderator and it should be for a 4 month tenure renewable 4 times

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (101)

Abba Kyari Arrives Lagos In Air Ambulance / Buhari First Blunder Why I Oppose Relocation Of Military Command-ifeduba / Olusegun Adeniyi Ambushed By Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.