Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:25 PM

Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows (2209 Views)

SEE The Nigerian Naira's Exchange Rate To The Dollar As At Today / Naira Drops To 313.5 As Dollar Shortage Persists / Oil Prices Rise Further As Dollar Drops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Nobody: 1:10am On Aug 05, 2010
[size=18pt]Nigerian naira weakens as dollar demand grows
[/size]

The Nigerian naira weakened slightly to 150.30 to the U.S. dollar on Wednesday after the central bank turned away some of the demand for dollars at its bi-weekly auction, traders said.

The central bank sold $150 million at a rate of 148.56 at Wednesday's auction, short of the $183 million demanded, compared to $160 million sold at 148.52 at Monday's auction.

Dealers said there were some dollar sales by energy companies, but not significant enough to support the naira on the interbank market, where it closed at 150.20 on Tuesday.

"The market was still liquid from the dollar sales by some major energy firms in the week, but we are trading on expectations," one dealer said.

"Most of the oil firms are already done with their month-end dollar sales and we are not expecting many inflows again until the next month-end cycle," he said.

Traders said the naira could continue to depreciate gradually as dollar liquidity dries up at the interbank market and demand shifts to the central bank auctions.

http://af.reuters.com/article/investingNews/idAFJOE6730AC20100804
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Nuriel22: 11:26am On Aug 05, 2010
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by oludashmi(f): 11:32am On Aug 05, 2010
Hmmnn, higher demand of dollar than naira
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by okeymadu(m): 11:52am On Aug 05, 2010
The CBN will have to brace up because in the next few weks there will be even higher demand for US Dollars.

The reason for this is because the disbursement of the 200billion Intervention Fund for manufacturers has commenced and manufacturers has start massive importation of equipments.

But this is not a challenge that the CBN can't handle.
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Ikedonn(m): 11:58am On Aug 05, 2010
I want the dollar to go up more.
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 05, 2010
goddam soludo angry angry

there was a time when dollar was 128 to the naira and still dropping
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by mikeoscar: 3:43pm On Aug 05, 2010
goddam soludo

there was a time when dollar was 128 to the naira and still dropping

Emm, I think the fellow at CBN now is actually Sanusi Lamido not Charles Soludo (or is your mis-representation in the sound of their last names?) wink cheesy
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Markenny(m): 4:32pm On Aug 05, 2010
what will be the euro faith?@the poster=?
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by chiogo(f): 7:01pm On Aug 05, 2010
I remember when #100 = a dollar embarassed
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 05, 2010
chiogo:

I remember when #100 = a dollar embarassed
Oh me too. Rem those days, when we were still swimming in that abdominal pouch called womb lol
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by chiogo(f): 7:06pm On Aug 05, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Oh me too. Rem those days, when we were still swimming in that abdominal pouch called womb lol
LOL shut up. I was no longer in the womb then. Maybe you were, youngin. tongue
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 05, 2010
Emm, I think the fellow at CBN now is actually Sanusi Lamido not Charles Soludo (or is your mis-representation in the sound of their last names?)

nope , soludo devalued the naira during his tenure.
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Nuriel22: 6:30am On Aug 06, 2010
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by 4Play(m): 10:04am On Aug 08, 2010
oyb:

nope , soludo devalued the naira during his tenure.

Soludo did not devalue the Naira against the dollar unless you mean Soludo caused the plunge in oil price that we saw in 2008. The exchange rate depends on the demand and supply interactions between the various currencies.

When dollar revenues fell precipitously because of the oil price crash, dollars became scarcer in Nigeria leading to the CBN dipping into the foreign reserves, depleting it from +$60bn, to defend the Naira against the dollar.

Nigerians' fixation with exchange rate means that we assign blame wrongly. Soludo's ''fault'' was that he didn't throw more dollar reserves at the market to keep it at N110 to 1USD, which is what we did in the last oil price crash, in the early 80s. It's a basic misunderstanding of economics to think that the Naira's loss of value must be stopped at almost all cost.
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by marcus1234: 10:05am On Aug 08, 2010
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Amigoz(f): 4:35pm On Aug 08, 2010
Soon we we will start spending dollar to buy pure water shocked
Re: Nigerian Naira Weakens As Dollar Demand Grows by Akosbaba(m): 2:43am On Aug 09, 2010
Is this surprising?

(1) (Reply)

49 Reasons Why You Need A Website For Your Business.. / How To Start A Computer Repair Business From Home / nairabet asian handicap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.