Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? (49408 Views)

Beautiful Picture Of Cotonou. When Will Nigeria Be Like Cotonou? / M.M. International Airport, Can't Nigeria Do Better? / Will Lagos Ever Be Like Abuja? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 10:40pm On Jan 09, 2006
Ghana! Why Can't Nigeria Be Like That

Hi all,

Happy New Year! Hope you all had nice holidays.

I recently went to Accra, Ghana with my wife and daughter for the Xmas and New Year holidays. What can I say, I was so shocked and wondered if we were on the same continent with them. It was hard to believe that these were the same people we flushed out of Nigeria in the late 70s and early 80s in trucks and tippers.

Everything is so organised and so stright forward. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly it was unbelievable. Life is reasonably cheaper and more relaxing than Naija. You come home there is constant power. YOu drive anyhow on the street and you are given an alcohol test, if you fail you face a jail sentence of 3 months. Petrol stations are open 24 hours a day with built in supermarkets like Europe. The whole city works on traffic lights 24 hrs a day. The police ar friendly and do not disturb anyone, infact every police station has a telephone number for emergencies. Crime rate is very very low and infact its sad to know that all crime there are commited by Nigerians or Liberian refugees. I put on the news one day and found out they caught a gang of 12 robbers terrorising KUmasi in which 9 were Nigerians.

HOnestly I can go on and on and on, but I think experience is the best teacher. If any of you have any holidays, pay a visit to Accra and you will never regret. I am buying a house there and sending my family there by the middle of this year. I met a lot of Nigerians who have houses there and their families there while they work here. I met a lot who are sending their children to school there and they come here on holidays because education is better. It is very sad, but the truth is painful. As much as you love and care for Nigeria, you don't get that in return sad

Medube
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by exu(m): 12:46am On Jan 10, 2006
I don't know much about Ghana but I've met a lot of Ghanians who have lived in Nigeria and Ghana who would wholly disagree with you.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by luvu567(f): 1:21am On Jan 10, 2006
Why we cant be like Ghana cuz we aint Ghana
Dont no body wanna be like Ghana
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by omon(m): 1:33am On Jan 10, 2006
It is just like somebdoy going through Abuja and saying the whole Nigeria must be like that.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by WesleyanA(f): 1:50am On Jan 10, 2006
when i was in Nigeria, most of my teachers were Ghanaian and they always mention how nice Ghana is. i know someone who's from Ghana too and she says the place is Nice.
I agree with Medube
As much as you love and care for Nigeria, you don't get that in return
my uncle built a new house not less than a month, it got burnt down!!.

i'll love to live in a place where most people are friendly and if Medube thinks he's found that place in Ghana, why, i'll congratulate him.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Scorpio(f): 1:59am On Jan 10, 2006
Anything but their currency, i don't mind 9ger changing..as in makin the lights n all that safe is cool, but as per their currency, it's a hell no!
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by WesleyanA(f): 2:05am On Jan 10, 2006
i know right. cheesy probably why medube found things "cheap" i was watching a movie the other day and they were using 5000 notes.

other than that, i think Ghana is cool. i've never been there. but i've heard.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Akolawole(m): 2:20am On Jan 10, 2006
Yes, i heared Ghana is nice but can somebody help me out here:

1) How is the condition of kumasi to Accra road ?

2) How do they shut the door of their local airline, is it from inside or outside ?
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by WesleyanA(f): 2:22am On Jan 10, 2006
did you get stuck in their door? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by hotangel2(f): 2:46am On Jan 10, 2006
WOW.. Ghana is better than nigeria?

I dunno nun abt ghana. But from wat medube has said, me is liking. You prolly found things cheap because you took 9ja money there and when u changed it, it was a whole LOT cheesy cheesy. But as for the road and stuff, that's really good.

Or maybe you enjoyed everything because you were touring. Anyhow sha... it's a slap on nigeria oo. With the whole money they got from ghanians when they sold their "ghana must go" bags. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 3:01am On Jan 10, 2006
omon:

It is just like somebdoy going through Abuja and saying the whole Nigeria must be like that.

I like that, but tell me where in Abuja do they have constant power supply? As I know all Accra and its environs and attaching towns have constant power supply and we are giving Ghana light smiley Is it that in Abuja there isnt any harassment from Police?

Besides let me be straight forward with you, NIgeria has a long way to go. When it is still in the mentality of the people that because I am WHITE I cannot be Nigerian, then that is fascinating. Even when I tell a person that I am the 3rd generation of my family born here in Nigeria and I have only known Naija all my life besides being a citizen, The still say I cannot be Nigerian (even to the government organisations). In Ghana when I was aksed by officials or people where I'm from I say I am Nigerian it is taken, but when I came back I was delayed at the airport trying to explain to the Immigration officer that I was born and bred here. The guy still maintained that I am not Nigerian because I am not black, I said but you have my 3 passports from when I was young till present and they are Nigerian how can you tell me that? I finished him by asking him if John Fashanu the footballer or Ben Okri the author were White to be British? smiley

Anyways forget all that, still I love Naija and it pains me to see it so when I know how it was in the late 70s and early 80 when I was young sad

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 3:04am On Jan 10, 2006
hot-angel:

You prolly found things cheap because you took Nigeria money there and when u changed it, it was a whole LOT

No hot-angel I didnt find it cheap because I converted small money to big money, but you tell me are baby lobsters ready cooked on the beach and sold when converted to Naira for N30, cheap? When converted to Naira, I bought toiletries, fruits, clothes for far cheaper than here.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 3:08am On Jan 10, 2006
Akolawole:

1) How is the condition of kumasi to Accra road ?

I didnt go on that road, but I can tell you the most part of the road from Accra to Lome in Togo is brill and made according to standard like Europe.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by omon(m): 3:17am On Jan 10, 2006
Don't worry..we will get there.. I hear some states like Bauchi and Cross River are already leading the way.  Well, myy guess and hope is by the end of the yr, power will be relatively stable. Please do not mind those illiterate immigration officers. The truth is if I see a white guy who tells me he is from Ghana, I will not question, but as for being a Nigerian, I might ask questions as per your birth, etc..for being a Nigerian.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by Scorpio(f): 3:25am On Jan 10, 2006
I've been to Ghana n it's pretty good tho, the taxis are alwayz clean(one good thing)...but they have to do somn about their currency!
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 3:33am On Jan 10, 2006
omon:

The truth is if I see a white guy who tells me he is from Ghana, I will not question

Why do you say so Omon, afterall Ghana is a black country and the first of Black Africa to gain independence.

omon:

but as for being a Nigerian, I might ask questions as per your birth, etc..for being a Nigerian.

And I should expect that after I explain how comes about I am Nigerian, the person wont tell me "you still cannot be Nigerian because you're not Black"
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by olex(m): 11:21am On Jan 10, 2006
To medube:

Nigerians (and Africans in general) can be white. Forget all those people that still find it difficult to comprehend how a white person could be Nigerian. Someday, they will come to see the light. For now, they seek comfort in their primitive ways.

In today’s fast-changing world, it is short of stupid to stereotype people’s nationalities based on skin color.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by omon(m): 11:45am On Jan 10, 2006
The reason is that most of these uniformed men are illiterates..that is why they have no known courtesy.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 11:57am On Jan 10, 2006
olex:

To medube:

Nigerians (and Africans in general) can be white. Forget all those people that still find it difficult to comprehend how a white person could be Nigerian. Someday, they will come to see the light. For now, they seek comfort in their primitive ways.

In today’s fast-changing world, it is short of stupid to stereotype people’s nationalities based on skin color.

Thank you olex I totally and quite agree with you. Presently in Nigeria there is so much discrimination amongst ethnic tribes so Im not all that surprised about the reaction when a white guy says he is Nigerian smiley
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:48pm On Jan 10, 2006
why dnt people want to agree a small country like ghana is relatively better than nigeria..forget the currency stuff the place according to most people that visit the country is clean n generally has a conducive environment!!!
i think denial is part of our culture... we are better than them!!! thats why we goin to the world cup  tongue, i mean who is angola,togo and ghana in football n development

As for nigerian security agencies  grin
its a bit understandable for them to enquiry bbut the manner they'll do it kmt!!  angry

And i wonder which other african people visit nigeria apart from investment opps
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by niyyie(m): 4:04pm On Jan 10, 2006
smiley I read this submission with a little gladness
I'm a Nigerian and have been in Ghana for over three years now. Everything said by "medube" about Ghana is true. The only glitch is, not all the road between Togo and Ghana is world-class. They just rehabilitated a part of it (from Tema to Sogakokpe) last year. The rehabilited part is what he's talking about. Aflao (Ghanaian border town) to Sogagokpe is not as good.

Each time I visit home, I'm ALWAYS eager to get back here. Why? The erratic power supply in Nigeria could drive one crazy and I don't want to go crazy.

I could go on and on but I'd conclude by saying that Ghana and Nigeria are incomparable. It's like comparing Orange with Mango. Each country has its good and bad sides, and both countries have a long way to go, compared to a place like South Africa.

So long... kiss
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by tommiekidd(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10, 2006
anyway,he medube might be right or wrong
but i fink he is partially wrong, because Nigeria as a whole had a long way to go,meanwhile a pint of blood can save a life:wich capitally means we can make it.
this ain't what the Government can solve alone, it depends on those living in da country.
u can imagine what Eedris Abdulkareem sung ''nigeria jaga jaga'',i was at home relaxing(united kingdom),accidentally i switched da remote to a nigerian channel, then i heard Eedris singing da song ''jaga jaga'' which is very discouraging to nigerians in united kingdom or any part of the world.
U know, there are a lot of nigerians in abroad or nigerian aswell that can make fins better,due to their experiences and high thinking they can make nigeria better.
u know, i think da whole problem is corrupton,nigerian is not free from corruption,nigerian is not a corruption free country.
as Medube said ''he is going to Ghana with his families,if everyone decided to go to Ghana or any other countries aswell,who's gonna be left in nigeria.
why i said Medube is also right
Actually,sometimes i do think of going back to nigeria,but i thought of the Strike,u can wake up on a good morning and prepare a tea for yourself,its so disgursting in a way that u can iron ur shirt just because of the lack of power supply and water supply.
nigerians are claiming others country,they ain't coming back home.
The governments are also a part to these major problems.
on the other hand,i don't blame them,cuz Nigerian had been on these problems ages past,so i think its not a person's job,but a collection of people's job.
because he who ever wanna try to it alone 's gonna end up uselessly,so i think its what we can all do.
grin
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by tommiekidd(m): 9:40pm On Jan 10, 2006
anyway,he medube might be right or wrong
but i think he is partially wrong, because Nigeria as a whole had a long way to go,meanwhile a pint of blood can save a life:wich capitally means we can make it.
this ain't what the Government can solve alone, it depends on those living in da country.
u can imagine what Eedris Abdulkareem sung ''nigeria jaga jaga'',i was at home relaxing(united kingdom),accidentally i switched da remote to a nigerian channel, then i heard Eedris singing da song ''jaga jaga'' which is very discouraging to nigerians in united kingdom or any part of the world.
U know, there are a lot of nigerians in abroad or nigerian aswell that can make fins better,due to their experiences and high thinking they can make nigeria better.
u know, i think da whole problem is corrupton,nigerian is not free from corruption,nigerian is not a corruption free country.
as Medube said ''he is going to Ghana with his families,if everyone decided to go to Ghana or any other countries aswell,who's going to be left in nigeria.
why i said Medube is also right
Actually,sometimes i do think of going back to nigeria,but i thought of the Strike,u can wake up on a good morning and prepare a tea for yourself,its so disgursting in a way that u can iron your shirt just because of the lack of power supply and water supply.
nigerians are claiming others country,they ain't coming back home.
The governments are also a part to these major problems.
on the other hand,i don't blame them,because Nigerian had been on these problems ages past,so i think its not a person's job,but a collection of people's job.
because he who ever want to try to it alone 's going to end up uselessly,so i think its what we can all do.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 9:45pm On Jan 10, 2006
Fair enough tommiekidd, I totally agree with you and everyone does about Nigerians joining hands to make things better. But let me tell you this will hardly happen, because one thing that is needed before this can be done is Unity and unfortunately we dont have that in Nigeria. The tribalism, religious differences and other factors between people of the same state, not even nation stops this unity from happening, therefore as said in Naija, "Everybody answer your papa name" and thats it. If we cant stand as one to make this difference, then you shouldnt expect it in a very long time.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by tommiekidd(m): 10:15pm On Jan 10, 2006
u are right as-well,but u are also discouraging nigerians,they'd all agreed and some are planning to go over there,this ain't gonna solve da problem!
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 10:17pm On Jan 10, 2006
tommiekidd:

but u are also discouraging nigerians,they'd all agreed and some are planning to go over there,this ain't going to solve da problem!

tommiekid why don't you start encouraging them and all of us by coming back home from the UK smiley
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by tommiekidd(m): 10:21pm On Jan 10, 2006
are u recently in uk?
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 10:27pm On Jan 10, 2006
No I'm not, but been there recently, but I noticed your location is set to UK.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by tommiekidd(m): 10:30pm On Jan 10, 2006
u know what?
for more discussion.go to www.onlinenigeria.com
and click on chat
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by tommiekidd(m): 10:37pm On Jan 10, 2006
go to onlinenigeria.com
click on register
after da registration,click on chat
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by panthress(f): 11:39pm On Jan 10, 2006
dude i bet if a ghanian living somewhere like lagos/aba in Ghana went to Abuja he would love it because its clean everything there is good. Accra is like Abuja so that doesnt make Ghana better, have u even been to da other parts of Ghana. how can a country so good have such a poor economy, i still dont see anything convincing me that Ghana is better than NIgeria.
then to ur nationality. Ok dude ive lived in London all my life, it doesnt make me British, mmm ur not nigerian if u said u waz south african and u r white or said ur zimbabwean and them next places in Africa i wld have believed u, does having a nigerian passport make u nigerian kno. u just obtained citizenship of da country.
im as much british as u r nigerian
oh what country u originally from.
pls
holla back
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Be Like Ghana? by medube(m): 11:45pm On Jan 10, 2006
panthress:

then to your nationality. Ok dude ive lived in London all my life, it doesnt make me British, mmm your not nigerian if u said u waz south african and you're white or said your zimbabwean and them next places in Africa i would have believed u, does having a nigerian passport make u nigerian kno. u just obtained citizenship of da country.

im sorry to say this but you're one of the people with a primitive mentality we are talking about that is putting Nigeria where it is today and what surprises me the most is you claim to live in the UK all your life and are talking like that. Well since you say Im not Nigerian because I am a citizen, then as for my origin, just take it that Im from the earth and thats it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How Goodluck Jonathan Transformed Nigeria's Airports - Pics / Air Peace Takes Buys E195-E2 Aircraft (Photos) / US Makes $10,000,000 From Nigeria In Rejected Visa Applications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.