Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,292 members, 7,780,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:27 PM

Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? (40013 Views)

Pastor Caught Pants Down While Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman.. Photos / Christian women wearing trouser, ear ring, ornament etc is a big satanic trap / What's Wrong With Wearing A Trouser To Church?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by ldollier(f): 5:25am On Jan 10, 2006
@seun
ok, if this topic has been posted before, kindly show me the links to get to it.

i was in church last two weeks, and my pastor was saying that it is wrong for a woman to wear pants/trouser. he didnt really quote the scriptures or anything. i still intend on going to him for clarifications. meanwhile i want to hear you guyz arguments.

personally i do not think its a sin, and i dont really know why it was condemed in the bible

help anyone.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by hotangel2(f): 6:40am On Jan 10, 2006
it was never condenmed in the Bible. They just cooked something up. And twisted the words in the bible.

Just for the record: Im ready to argue this out.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by IAH(f): 7:46pm On Jan 10, 2006
It's in Deuteronomy Chapter 22 that women should not wear men's clothes and vice versa. But it's quite ridiculous that out of all the laws listed in that same chapter, somebody picked out only that one. The same chapter also said that we should not wear clothes with multiple materials. I wonder why we are not following that. It's like following only one out of the 10 commandments. Therefore, I consider it ridiculous.

But let's even assume it's a commandment that should be followed. I don't wear men's trousers. I wear women's trousers. Obviously, a guy can't wear my trousers and not look funny because they are feminine trousers made for women.

2 Likes

Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Seun(m): 7:56pm On Jan 10, 2006
Yeah. And interestingly enough the feminine trousers are more revealing than the ones made by men. You know, I think if God had a choice in this matter he would ask all women to wear trousers made for men since they are less revealing than the skirts or 'tights' that women love to wear.

1 Like

Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by thelastdon(m): 8:01pm On Jan 10, 2006
I totally disagree, u see the Bible states that women should not wear what belongs to the men, but who can quote where the Bible says trousers are the cloth meant for men, in the Bible days, men dont wear trousers, na tusan.

what about this; who can quote where the word BIBLE was mentioned in the Bible?

am earnestly waiting for more comments, as for myself, my girl must know hot to put on trousers

1 Like

Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by 2nde(m): 8:29pm On Jan 10, 2006
there is no law saying all those, all God says is for you not to wear cloths revealing your sensitive part. Period
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Farriel(m): 8:39pm On Jan 10, 2006
This is one of the most controversial issues in Christianity in Nigeria. I have no idea if this same issue is sparking lots of debates elsewhere, but down here, it sure is and the arguments are so fierce it's hard to know what is wrong from what is ridiculous.

But if your question is:  Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible, it's definitely not easy providing a definite answer to it because there's surely no mention of trousers in the Bible. One can only presume that most remarks in the Bible are figurative, and most of the time, the wrong conclusions are made on certain comments, since the conslusions are arrived at in a literal context.

However, I think that it's wrong wearing some form of trousers to the Church. A girl can wear whatever at whenever, but it's surely wrong wearing those forms of trousers to the Church.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by IAH(f): 8:44pm On Jan 10, 2006
Farriel, can you tell us why it is wrong to wear trousers to church? If it's not wrong outside church, why is it wrong inside church? That reeks of hypocrisy!
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by exu(m): 8:50pm On Jan 10, 2006
once upon a time women weren't allowed to own property either...

i'm sure there's something in the Bible about that too...

(jeez)
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Seun(m): 8:56pm On Jan 10, 2006
IAH, you are misunderstanding Farriel. He means to say it's wrong to wear body-hugging trousers to church.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by IAH(f): 9:07pm On Jan 10, 2006
What about body-hugging dresses, skirts and tops? It's much better to wear trousers than those ones.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by bohye(m): 9:44pm On Jan 10, 2006
Even thou the scripture said a woman shouldnt wear mens clothing one has to understand the circumstances prevalent at that time. At that time the israelites has been emulating the culture and traditions of their foreign neigbours which included prostitution and same sex relationships; to act as a check on this that proclamation was made. Moreover the bible also says that God is more concerned with the inside than physical apperances...so if you dress decently i sure ure on the right!
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by joftech(m): 10:34pm On Jan 10, 2006
It's not stated in the Bible that wearing the trouser by both men and women is wrong. I those days there's even no trouser at all.

Time and civilization change so it's ridiculous for any pastor to be saying wearing of trouser by anybody is wrong.

For example before same-sex marriage was seen as a form of mental disorder now people have now agree it's a form of choice/ lifestyle.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Outkast(f): 10:59pm On Jan 10, 2006
I don't think the same-sex marriage really applies to this.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by gbengaijot(m): 11:03pm On Jan 10, 2006
Considering the fact that this is a Christian based topic, why dont we live the less important argument and deal with some more pressing issues in our personal relationship to God. These are my words for those criticising the wearing of a particular trousers.......
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by ldollier(f): 11:26pm On Jan 10, 2006
wow, so far am getting some interesting answers.

Farriel:

However, I think that it's wrong wearing some form of trousers to the Church. A girl can wear whatever at whenever, but it's surely wrong wearing those forms of trousers to the Church.

see, this statement got me seriously confused

Seun:

IAH, you are misunderstanding Farriel. He means to say it's wrong to wear body-hugging trousers to church.

if its wrong to wear it to church, its also wrong to wear outside. right? or else this is hypocrisy

joftech:

It's not stated in the Bible that wearing the trouser by both men and women is wrong. I those days there's even no trouser at all.

Time and civilization change so it's ridiculous for any pastor to be saying wearing of trouser by anybody is wrong.

For example before same-sex marriage was seen as a form of mental disorder now people have now agree it's a form of choice/ lifestyle.

how does same-sex marriage affect this?
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by WesleyanA(f): 12:28am On Jan 11, 2006
First of all, pants aren't necessarily "men's clothing". It depends on where you live (your culture e.t.c) and what time period.
I bet there was no such thing as "pants" when the book (Bible) was written.
And in some country, i forgot the name, Ireland? It's tradition that men wear plaid skirts. that's their male traditional clothing.
So a "skirt" isn't necessarily a female clothing either!!
so you can't say one piece of clothing is specifically for men and another is specifically for women.
It depends on your society and what your culture regards/views as acceptable or right.

I think that specific verse in the bible is like a civil law for the ancient israelites that does not apply to us presently in modern times.  because then, the bible served as like a constitution/a book of civil law (or whatever it is you'll want to call it) that guided and ruled every aspect of the daily lives of Isrealites in those days. from what food they can or can't eat to what clothes they can or can't wear to the daily duties of the female and male and their conducts.
Just as today we have rules (i'll say governmental) but these rules aren't as strict as the past to the extent that the gov.t will tell us what and what not to wear. there's liberty/democracy or whatever it's called. ( In some nations though they still use a religious book/laws to dictate the citizens lives ex. in some muslim countries where women must cover their faces and fully submit to the opposite sex, they cut off people's hands in Sharia e.t.c.

what Joftech meant when he made the "Same-sex marriage" comment is just my point exactly.
Then the laws they had (the bible) ruled gay marriage(or any same sex relation) out, women musn't own property, slavery is legal, all other things that don't apply to the present world where we are free to do what ever we have with our lives (as long as we're not harming other citizens) without the government or bible ruling our lives.

then (before) same-sex relation was punishable by death but now if you harm a gay guy for no reason, you can go to jail for it. everyone is protected (I'm not talking about Nigeria becuse many innocent people die everyday without the police or gov.t doing nothing about it. I hope it gets better).

Also if some lady puts on pants,you can't go on the street and say "take off those, it's a sin". she'll probably charge you for harrasment.

note: not all ladies pants are revealing.
actually, most of them are not. take the business lady pants for example. like a type Hillary Clinton would put on.
Or just plain lady jeans (usually flared at the bottom) while guys' are usually baggy.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by comechop(m): 5:46am On Jan 11, 2006
you know, some of your comments are so funny...and ridiculous. If a xtain in 9ja wears trousers, it is a crime..but you can see Joyce Meyers and Paula White donning on sweet pants...and preaching wit da anointing. It all about the hearts ma people. Whats ur motive for wearing those trousers? Are you tryin to expose ur features to seduce men? I mean, some of the trousers we guys see these days...ou wonder if she thinks that she is in her house...
But the fact is that some work situations require you to put on trousers..and some other situations.
My people,it all boils down to the heart.
But one thing i know be say ma woman go wear enoff pants...there is absolutely nothing wrong wit wearing pants.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by thelastdon(m): 7:53am On Jan 11, 2006
very soon, men will start wearing skirts. everything na civilization undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by dejiolowe: 8:59am On Jan 11, 2006
it is so funny how ppl look for new sins when the old ones are still raging. I don't think it is a sin for women to wear slacks/pants/trousers, etc. Also, without doubt, there are some stuff that are wrong in church but right outside it. Take one, never wear a bikini to church!

But frankly, how much of the old law do we take and what do we drop.?

For example, the same book of the bible talk about the law of tithe [Duet 14:22-29] but no one follows it. All the pastor tells you is to bring the 10% which is really not what the bible says. if you are not quick about it, they invoke Malachi 3:7-12 on you. The word tithe was mentioned by Jesus once when he was talking about the pharisees and that was it. New Testament harped on voluntary giving without measures but seems that 10% is sweet music to new age pastors.

I guess we should be more like ppl of Berea who go home to study the bible about what their pastors told them. Pastors are human too that is why God left His word for everyone as an anchor.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Chxta(m): 9:16am On Jan 11, 2006
How can the bible be against trousers when there were no trousers in biblical times?
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by luridguy(m): 10:02am On Jan 11, 2006
When looking at what we call "doubtful things" we need to use the scripture as a context

There is a passage in the Old Testament that seems to speak about a woman wearing men's clothing. "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God"(Deuteronomy 22:5, KJV).............. but lets put one thing into consideration just like jewelry if women wear trousers will they go to hell?

the life of the child of God should be about a spiritual relationship based upon our relationship in Christ as believers. The obedience of a child of God is not measured by what clothing they wear but by their walk in the Spirit (Galatians 5:16).
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by spikedcylinder: 10:40am On Jan 11, 2006
Since when has female trousers become revealing?Apart from the ones Christina Aguilera wears,i hardly see any revealing female trousers.
All the people saying women should not wear mens clothing...why is it just trousers they are targeting?how about t shirts,women sporting low cuts etc?aren't those items of clothing significant with men?
I think it was men themselves that made up this crazy rule of women not wearing trousers....because right from the beginning of time they have always felt threatened by women and find all ways to subdue them!
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Farriel(m): 12:26pm On Jan 11, 2006
This thread is going off as expectedly as I knew it would. Heated remarks about what's wrong from what's ridiculous to what's plain hypocritical.

Know what I think folks? If you think it's OK to wear trousers to Church, however it is on you, like Nike says; Just Do It. Alternatively, you could encourage females to do it if you're incidentally a man. And if you think it's wrong, then surely, act accordingly. It's really very simple.

Then there'd be no need to argue so strongly about such controversial issues like this one.

And to you Spike, asking when female trousers became revealing makes me wonder where you've been within the last decade or so. If Aguilera's trousers are the only ones you think are revealing, then maybe you've just got a thing for or against her. Honestly.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Rolly: 3:38pm On Jan 11, 2006
As far as i'm concerned,

"I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety,----------- "
1 tim 2:9

This is what i believe and follow, this is not to say that i dont wear Pants, i do in fact i have few skirts and more pants .When i was in nigeria, my church( foursquare gospel church) forbade women to wear pants to church or in church for that matter but i didnt matter to me cos as long as i could wear pants on every other day of the week, i was fine besides sunday is sacred. Any way, my point is, dress decent, pants or no pants, be decent.

Peace y'all cool
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by kelvin(m): 4:01pm On Jan 11, 2006
As we know, the BIBLE was not made in the 21st century, and I doubt there were troussers when the BIBLE was written. When God said women should not put on men's clothing, I thought he meant that women should not take the responsibilities that belong to men. Either way, in that time, there were no troussers, so both men and women put on gowns and skirts, whether it was a men's clothing then or women's clothing, I don't know, but everyone then wore it then, including JESUS... so whats the big deal, if there were troussers then, then everyone would have been wearing it... and on the ground that women should not put on men's clothing, I believe on the labels of some troussers ladies put on you see...FOR WOMEN
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by 4real(m): 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2006
the thing is it was said in dec 22 that a woman should not wear what belongs to a man, the thing is in romans we were made to understand that all the laws have been made of none effect cause of the death of christ, we don't need to follow that but the lwas christ gave us ,and romans 8 vs1 says it all we do not server god cause of what we wear or dress or eat, but from the heart
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by ldollier(f): 5:50pm On Jan 11, 2006
although i am getting some answers, however am still confused

here are my arguments

1. while we all know that trousers/pants werent mentioned in the bible, i do know that during those days(when the bible was written) men and women wore skirts/gown(i forgot the name) and underneath there apparrel's were trousers/pants. and also God does tell us that, what matters is the heart and not one's attire

2. but in contrary to my aformentioned statement, it is written that women shouldn't wear a man's clothing(vice versa). and we all know that trousers is infact a man clothing. whether you call it loose trouser or revealing trouser. all i know is that trouser is trouser. ok, for example when someone goes to the restroom, what symbol differentiate the male restroom with the female restroom?.

if one ponder on that, we will come to the conclusion on seeing that the female is symbolized[b] as one wearing a skirt[/b], while the men is the one wearing the trouser/pants. so what would you say to that?. and also our forefathers(or should i say foremothers) never wore pants, i also learnt that it is infact a taboo in some villages

but i conclude by saying that present situations do require females to wear pants/trousers.

and what do way say about those females that wears trousers/pants to preach?

however, you all gave interesting arguments and i do intend on showing these arguments to my pastor, i hope that's okay
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by luridguy(m): 6:54pm On Jan 11, 2006
well maybe ur pastor will shed more light but like i said earlier its the inside that matters..........but really if u look at it like this the bible says something about cutting off ur arm if it will lead u to hell.........if ur a christian and u wearing trousers does not hinder relationship with God then u do not have any problem but if it will be a problem for u just stick with the skirts
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by ldollier(f): 7:01pm On Jan 11, 2006
thanks for that.

sad because i have been wearing trousers all my life, well hmm i dont know
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by queen2(f): 10:52pm On Jan 11, 2006
hot angel

it was never condenmed in the Bible. They just cooked something up. And twisted the words in the bible.

Ofcourse it was condemned in the bible, what argument Lol

wesley
First of all, pants aren't necessarily "men's clothing". It depends on where you live (your culture e.t.c) and what time period

sure, also the weather

Now see this

Deuteronomy 22:5 is an excellent passage relating to this topic of women's dress. It is clear that women should not wear clothing specifically made for men and men should not wear a "woman's garment". But who determines what is a woman's garment and what is a man's? This is determined by the culture, weather and the time one lives in.

At this many old fashioned fundamentalists will quote verses like Hebrews 13:8 - J[b]esus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever[/b]. The problem with trying to use that verse to say women should not wear pants is that verse has nothing to do with clothing styles or dress. It has to do with the unchanging nature of God. If that were talking about clothing then we would all have to start wearing tunics and robes because thats what Jesus wore.

so therefore, women and men both wore robes dearing Bible times. They just wore them differently. Not unlike men and women both being able to wear pants - but pants are cut differently for women than they are for men.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by shockreaction(m): 10:57pm On Jan 11, 2006
I guess it's really just all about women dressing decently. I mean, most women wear tight trousers, and clothes in general, which brings about a very sexy shape that men find very enticing. Now, obviously, as was stated by Jesus in the Bible, once a man thinks of sleeping with a woman, he has committed fornication (somewhere in Matthew 5 or so), and yeah, constantly looking at women, esp. the ones wearing the tight clothes, is well, bound to fall...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Heavenly Reward Vs Earthly Reward: Hilarious Photo / Naira Will Bounce Back, Stronger Than Dollar Soon - Pastor Adeboye / I Committed A Sexual Sin. And I'm Too Scared And Ashamed To Pray. Please Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.