Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Nigerian Tennis Player Arrested For Drug Trafficking - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Tennis Player Arrested For Drug Trafficking (2677 Views)

Oyan Azeez-Akinwumi, Tennis Player, Killed By Hoodlums In Somolu (Graphic Pics) / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Drug Trafficking In Indonesia (Pic) / Malaysia Sentence Nigerian Female Student To Death For Drug Trafficking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Tennis Player Arrested For Drug Trafficking by medjai(m): 3:49pm On Aug 09, 2010
Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) at the Murtalla Mohammed International Airport (MMIA) Lagos, weekend apprehended a professional tennis player Dairo Toyin, 30, and a Lagos business man Okoliachu Chukwudi Augustine, 46 over alleged drug dealing. Dairo was apprehended while attempting to board a British Airways flight to London. His final destination was New York where he usually trains in preparation for a tournament. The other suspect, Chukwudi was nabbed in his house at Festac area of Lagos.

According to the NDLEA Airport commander, Alhaji Hamza Umar both suspects hide under the cover of their professed profession in dealing in narcotics. “While Dairo Toyin hides under the cover of a sports man, Okoliachu Chukwudi presents himself as an importer of marbles and other building materials. Until their arrest by the NDLEA, no one would ever imagine they are into drugs” Hamza stated.

Dairo who began professional Tennis career in 1996 has represented Nigeria in several Davis cup competitions. Notable among his international appearances are Italy in 2002, Senegal in 2004, Germany and Nigeria both in 2006. The tennis player who hails from Ekiti State has however blamed his woes on frustration arising from inability to sponsor his trip to international tournaments.

According to Dairo, “I am ashamed of myself, it was not intentional. My problem began in 2005 when my sponsor died. There was no one to help, things became difficult. In the process I was introduced into drug trafficking. I have been smuggling drugs to take care of my bills each time I attend international tournaments. This time around, I was caught. I swallowed 100 wraps and when they weighed it, the weight was 1.445kg. It also tested positive for heroin”.

Chairman/Chief Executive of the NDLEA Ahmadu Giade says any drug trafficker that rejects the Agency’s call for a drug free society will end up in prison custody. “The dragnet of the Agency is large enough to accommodate all drug barons. Innocent members of the public should also be weary of the devices of these enemies of the society to derail them from their destinies. They must learn to resist any form of inducement that will lead them to prison custody” Giade cautioned.

http://ukpakareports.com/news.php?type_id=2&news_id=1246
Re: Nigerian Tennis Player Arrested For Drug Trafficking by mamagee3(f): 8:59pm On Aug 09, 2010
I didn't even know there's a nigerian tennis player. . .

And what's with them and cheating, looks like they cheat in everything they do.

(1) (Reply)

Guy Chops Off Girfriends Head (viewer's Dicretion Advised) / OMG!!! See What A Neighbor Forced These Kids To... / Wicked World! Aborted Foetus Of Triplets Found On The Street (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.