Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos (20682 Views)

Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos / Railways Revisited - The Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 4:52pm On Aug 10, 2010
ezeagu:

Anyway, I don't think all this matters much, whether it's freight or not, half the speed of the state-of-the-art, Nigeria has got trains that will get people from A to B.

thank you jare.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:53pm On Aug 10, 2010
Carlosein:

i didn't say that.

are you that jobless? all these to win an argument?
WOW . . . Moving on now to people who are actually here to exchange ideas and facts . . .
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 4:56pm On Aug 10, 2010
So much for pictures of the Amtrak, these trains Nigeria ordered just nearly run at half their speed. The pictures of Amtrak trains posted are probably the GE Genesis, some of these run at 3,200 hp and some are even 4,250 horsepower, remember that Nigeria's GE trains run at 2,500 horsepower. It's hard to find anything on tracks now running under 3000hp, that is National lines. The bottom line is that for Nigeria's size and supposed status, these trains are "a start",  but they are simply not good enough.

@ezeagu

If u got those 4250 horsepower locomotives,they will damage the tracks in Nigeria,as it would be incapable of running on them
Remember OBJ awarded the chinese a $8billion, contract to modernize the tracks. . but it was cancelled by yar adua

who instead ordered new more powerful locomotives for the existing tracks. . .

bottom line if its an improvement on the existing ones,then its a good move. . .

and hopefully they will be used more for cargo to decongest the roads
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 5:00pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

WOW . . . Moving on now to people who are actually here to exchange ideas and facts . . .

we can identify who they are. certainly not kobo.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by ezeagu(m): 5:02pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

@ezeagu

If u got those 4250 horsepower locomotives,they will damage the tracks in Nigeria,as it would be incapable of running on them
Remember OBJ awarded the chinese a $8billion, contract to modernize the tracks. . but it was cancelled by yar adua

who instead ordered new more powerful locomotives for the existing tracks. . .

bottom line if its an improvement on the existing ones,then its a good move. . .

and hopefully they will be used more for cargo to decongest the roads

All right, that's fair then.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by hackney(m): 5:16pm On Aug 10, 2010
Even if it is one shameless little step forward, its a step forward.

The alternative as we know is a step backward (all the money stolen and nothing done).
So Kudos to the low-achieving govt.
cool
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Aug 10, 2010
If you put it that way, then ROFLMAO!!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Sagamite(m): 5:48pm On Aug 10, 2010
What they should be judged is not how attractive or how modern a train is especially for a poor country that will under-fund such a project.

Judge them on:

1) Functionality of the trains (reliability, safety etc)

2) Cost of acquisition (Did they pay the price of high speed train to get a locomotive or was is bargain for money etc)

3) Decision on choice in the context of financial constraints (Could they have, with better planning, obtain something better)

4) Foresight on lifespan of train (would the trains still be useful and relevant in the next 15 years or so, or will another huge capital investment be required in a short while to replace them)
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by ChiefOkom(m): 6:16pm On Aug 10, 2010
Nigeria, Trains, the 2 don't agree, LOL!!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by DisGuy: 7:03pm On Aug 10, 2010
these half baked journalist sef

They didn't tell use what's on offer in the first class trains, shexy stewardess, massage tables, AC pumping, Gbedu blasting, Double windows to keep out the Lagos noise, complimentary Ice-Cream and croissant or Suya grin

olodo journalist just went there looking for brown envelop not a single picture not details of the price,
what exactly do they teach these journalists sef
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 10, 2010
Dis Guy:

They didn't tell use what's on offer in the first class trains, shexy stewardess, massage tables, AC pumping, Gbedu blasting, Double windows to keep out the Lagos noise, complimentary Ice-Cream and croissant or Suya grin

olodo journalist just went there looking for brown envelop not a single picture not details of the price,
grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Sagamite(m): 7:12pm On Aug 10, 2010
Dis Guy:

Useless crew as usual. They need to be flogged.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by bawomolo(m): 7:14pm On Aug 10, 2010
Dis Guy:

only you, you be saudi prince. you better take your boli ati epa to manage.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 10, 2010
bawomolo:

only you, you be saudi prince. you better take your[b] boli ati epa[/b] to manage.
grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by SSaemoenl(m): 7:32pm On Aug 10, 2010
Half a loaf is better than no bread, My concern is whether they will maintain and keeps the 14th century LOCO clean wink
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On Aug 10, 2010
14th century Loco . . . ROFLMAO!! You no even ask wetin happen with the 5 billion dollar contract we signed with the chinese to upgrade our tracks . . that was so we could by 21st century engines. But because Yar adua cancelled that project( I remember there being a 1 billion dollar penalty of some sort for that move), we are back to living with the old, for all so much more money, in the year 2010. grin
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by tpiah: 7:43pm On Aug 10, 2010
I remember there being a 1 billion dollar penalty of some sort for that move

it was 4 billion dollars.

your memory is faulty.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 10, 2010
more than 1-billion dollars? Even better. grin

LMAO@ 14th century Locomotive grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 7:51pm On Aug 10, 2010
Phew!!! That 1 billion number didn't sit well at all . . . . turns out Yar adua did not cancel it at all, as reports claim the state of the project is still unclear. I know cancelling was supposed to cost us about $1 billion dollars and I am glad the man held himself back from that move . . . I hope!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 7:52pm On Aug 10, 2010
Why Yar'Adua won't revoke rail contract, by Obasanjo
From Laolu Akande, New York

FORMER President, Olusegun Obasanjo, has maintained that the $8 billion railway project signed by his administration and which recently came under the critical lens of the Musa Yar'Adua administration will not be revoked.

Obasanjo, speaking in New York disputed the position of the Federal Government on the controversial railway contract his administration awarded to a Chinese firm, while answering reporters' questions on his new role as United Nations Special Envoy on the crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

According to Obasanjo, the railway contract that he awarded "was thoroughly discussed and approved." But Obasanjo did not respond to the counter argument that the contract was not appropriated by the National Assembly.

The former President noted that the Yar'Adua administration had not said it would not go ahead with the contract, but only said, "they are looking for additional funds."

The question had been asked by a UN Correspondent that there was a conflict of interest in Obasanjo's new role as UN Special Envoy to Congo.

According to the Inner City Press report "the UN's envoy to the Congo, former Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo, appears to have a conflict of interest. One of rebels, General Laurent Nkunda's main critiques of the Congolese government of Joseph Kabila is the $9 billion resource deal Kabila signed recently with China." On Monday at the UN, Inner City Press.

But, Obasanjo, responding to Nkunda's claim, said that when Nkunda spoke of economics, the Chinese contract was one of the particular issues he raised. Obasanjo added that 'I raised it to Joseph Kabila, who said 'all that passed through the National Assembly."

But, Inner City Press asked "isn't that controversy similar to the one embroiling Obasanjo in Nigeria, about his $8 billion railroad contract with China? Couldn't that be a conflict of interest?" Obasanjo said no, it has no bearing, "the railroad was fully disclosed and approved." He said that the "present administration is not saying it is not going on with the railroad," only that it is looking for additional funds.

Obasanjo also said that his own government's deal with China has "no bearing whatsoever," to his new role as UN's Special Envoy to mediate the crisis in Congo.

But while Obasanjo was denying that the Nigerian Federal Government might revoke the $8 billion railway contract awarded to a Chinese firm by his administration, an official of the Yar'Adua government, the Chief Economic Adviser to President Umaru Yar'Adua, Mr. Tanimu Yakubu, recently hinted that the contract may be revoked because it had been found to be illegal.

Yakubu claimed that since Obasanjo did not present the project and its budget to the National Assembly, the existing administration would not condone it because of its stand on rule of law.

"For an administration that prides itself on the rule of law, I don't see how an illegality will be strictly adhered to in the name of continuity," he said.

The $8 billion contract was awarded to Chinese Civil Engineering and Construction Company in 2006 as a turnkey package entailing the design, construction and maintenance of about 1,315 kilometres of standard gauge double track railway line from Lagos to Kano.

In 2007, the contractor received $250 million as advance payment for the project.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by http(m): 8:06pm On Aug 10, 2010
@ Kobojunkie
[tr]14th century Loco . . . ROFLMAO!! You no even ask wetin happen with the 5 billion dollar contract we signed with the chinese to upgrade our tracks . . that was so we could by 21st century engines. But because Yar adua cancelled that project( I remember there being a 1 billion dollar penalty of some sort for that move), we are back to living with the old, for all so much more money, in the year 2010[/tr]

That what am about to ask, that project just down the drain, Nigerian Looters that call themselves govt are just looters and money waster.

God save us from the looters angry
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by http(m): 8:08pm On Aug 10, 2010
@ Kobojonkie, are u presently in Columbus Ohio?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 10, 2010
This is where you'll know who is superficial. Kobojunkie stop comparing Nigeria to the USA. Nigeria is not rich like most like to think. You ain't making sense lately with your newly found sarcasm.

Also you folks should note that fancy looking trains don't get far. Has anyone been on the District line train in London? Bakerloo line? do they look fancy? How far do they go? In Vancouver they use what I call drone trains (unmanned) But it doesn't travel far they are fancy looking but they can't get that much people in it plus Vancouver's population is just over a million with lots of cars so they don't need big trains. Like people said functionality. Someone ever been on the F train? it's just paint job that makes them look better. Yeah that locomotive Nigeria got there should be repainted
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 8:21pm On Aug 10, 2010
9jaganja:

This is where you'll know who is superficial. Kobojunkie stop comparing Nigeria to the USA. Nigeria is not rich like most like to think. You ain't making sense lately with your newly found sarcasm.

For your brain's sake, where do you have me comparing Nigeria to US? See me see wahala ooo!!! Is this like crazy people's day or something?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 8:22pm On Aug 10, 2010
http:

@ Kobojonkie, are u presently in Columbus Ohio?

Haven't been in so many years.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Busybody2(f): 8:28pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]ROFLMAO!! [/size]

Nice one @Carlosein, so as long as the train moves, that is all, no matter how much we spend on it in the year 2010?

Take a look at the trains this was compared to earlier . . .I posted a wiki link to info on some of them. Check out the engine specs and horsepower on those to know the difference.

I was hoping I would also be able to compare the specs on this new train with those of our old trains to check if there is really much of a difference but I have yet to find meaningful info on the specs of those. But I will definitely continue searching.

Check out info on GE Trains and their years on here. Pay particular attention to the six-axles list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GE_locomotives

Carlosein:

i didn't say that.

are you that jobless? all these to win an argument?

A drowning rat's been known to clutch at straws in a bid to survive y'know wink So, how much more Nairaland's periphrastic vintage resident, Kobojunkie cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

For your brain's sake, where do you have me comparing Nigeria to US? See me see wahala ooo!!! Is this like crazy people's day or something?

Have you checked you previous posts ms thing? Your hatred for everything Nigerian has consumed your intelligence,  bye bye!!!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 8:36pm On Aug 10, 2010
oooo Where do you have me comparing Nigeria to US? = SHOW ME . . . Simple english!!!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Busybody2(f): 8:38pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

shocked Well lucky for you, i feel like playing a good samaritan today, wait for me oh, let me go and get the username "PATIENCE" to come and recap where you have been doing the comparison of Naija with the almighty WEST. Don't move a muscle yeah, i dey come cheesy cool cool cool
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by mamagee3(f): 8:42pm On Aug 10, 2010
Can never trust anything coming out from that country known as Nigeria. . .

But, let's just hope this one will end up being as productive as it was made to be.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

oooo Where do you have me comparing Nigeria to US? = SHOW ME . . . Simple english!!!

y'all was talking about Nigerian train; you posted an article stating how much amtrak is requesting to upgrade. The reason you posted that was because someone said they use locomotives in US too. Analyze your post again and see if you weren't comparing. This is what we can afford you didn't have to post that US is upgrading theirs'. Let us get this to work first see how good we can manage it before investing bigger sum on fancy ones. If we don't manage what we have well, we can't and shouldn't invest in more expensive ones.

Again go back to your posts.!!!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 8:50pm On Aug 10, 2010
So, wait  . . .  back up a minute . .  SOMEONE ELSE COMPARED Nigeria WITH US, and I POINTED out that the comparison was baseless since even the US was looking to UPGRADE Their OLD TRAINS( note: we(nigeria) are just now BUYING what they(US/Canada/Europe/etc) already consider OLD), and you somehow concluded I AM COMPARING NIGERIA WITH AMERICA?

ROFLMAO!!!

EVEN worse, you somehow ignored all those who ACTUALLY compared Nigerias brand new 2500HP machines( which is in GE's 1970's model list) to American/European machines running at 3500 HP and above( most of which were purchased back in the 70's) only so you could attack me on BASELESS claims?

[size=13pt]ROFLMAO!![/size]

for your brain's sake, STOP already  . . . lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Arthur Eze Dragged To UK Court For Pulling Out Of £5million Mansion Deal / US Overtakes Saudi Arabia, Russia As Largest Oil Producer / Naira Depreciates Marginally Against Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.