Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! (32385 Views)

5 Nigerian Superstitions And Beliefs That Will Kill You Before Your Time / Funny Superstitious Beliefs Of Nigerians About Animals / Silly Beliefs That You Know Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by martyns303(m): 3:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
Garri_is_back: angry angry angry
u don kill me finish, nothing remain.

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
If you don't want them to steal your john-Thomas, always put a piece of charcoal in your pocket. This take me back to one eveining popsie sent me to buy bread from a city centre which was just a walk from the house ; nor be so dem come start to shout say people weh dey steal private part dey come ooo. Guys forget charcoal,I beat usian bolt record that night ; thinking about this today, what were they going to steal in a 9yr-old twinke lol *smh*
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:17pm On Sep 25, 2012
frankmoney: If yhu wake up in d mawnin wit a neck pain dnt talk 2 anybody jes use ur saliva nd rub d area yhu hv d pains .pain will go immediatly #tested & proven

Mr, it would have been nice to type correctly. What is:
*mawnin
*jes
*yhu
Na wa.

2 Likes

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by DeGenius3(m): 3:17pm On Sep 25, 2012
Okija_juju: Remedy for Hiccups

Put a short string of thread on your head.

Verdict: Tried, Tested and proven to work

Remedy for Hiccup

Pour a glass of water and swallow seven gulps

Verdist: Works some of the time

Do not spit directly into the toilet

Resultant effect: Sore Throat

remedies for hiccup works well 100%. but do they look superstitious?
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by deluckiest(m): 3:17pm On Sep 25, 2012
cheddarking: Ahh...
Growing up as a 'Razz' boy in a 'Razz' area of Lagos state, I remember these primary school superstitions:

When you see two dogs mating/Gangbang1ng, drive a nail into the ground...and they will be hooked until you 'release' them

When you see a hawk/pigeon/random bird flying about, aim your hand at it, and then pull back your middle/index/any finger and the bird will keep flying round in circles

When you see a bunch of Herons flying about, start singing "Leke Leke, Gbamileke" and white spots will appear on your fingers.

When you spit on the floor, wipe it with your feet or you will get a sore throat...

grin grin

"When you see a bunch of Herons flying about, start singing "Leke Leke, Gbamileke" and white spots will appear on your fingers."
This had actually worked like charm. There is something about these myths.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Damon03(m): 3:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
I guess all the ones I know av been mentioned, I think all this beliefs work only if you believe in them. A particular one I dint believe was spitting on the floor (causing sore throat) but now I know its only a way of preventing pple from spitting around, without covering it, which can be nauseating to others
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by tulk2mi: 3:23pm On Sep 25, 2012
Damon03: I guess all the ones I know av been mentioned, I think all this believes work only if you believe in them. A particular one I dint believe was spitting on the floor (causing sore throat) but now I know its only a way of preventing pple from spitting around, without covering it, which can be nauseating to others

we r in d same boat. tho most of dem actually did not work 4 me. but i really did blive dem.smh * i was seriously on a longtin wayback then*
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 25, 2012
If you want to harvest coconut from it tree, make sure you use a stick or that your are standing on something no matter how short it is, if you do otherwise the tree will begin to grow taller than expected
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 25, 2012
methodman: Funny but i dont believe in all dis stuffs. i heard if someone shud go to the market and den bends down to look in between his/her legs....Na different kind of Ghosts and evil spirits person go deh see. I think i will try dis out soon sef. Lol
You are on your own o! I hope you live to come and tell us what you saw or not see!!! The kind digbe wey you go receive for nyash no go get mate gringringringringringringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by naijathings(m): 3:34pm On Sep 25, 2012
Okay make i share my own.
one early morning during my NYSC in one village in EKITI state.
I was on my was jogging in the early morning and there was this old lady coming towards me.
suddenly a fly went straight into my eye.
the old woman told me not to touch my eye.
she told me to spit on the floor 3 times.
i did it. and the fly came out shap shap like majik.
it has worked for me since then.

another one.

you wan shiet but toilet no dey near you?
rub your abdomen with a little of your own saliva and see. it will give you time to look for a toilet. works like magic.

another one.
when a baby piss on your body it is a blessing.

another one.
do not pick calls with numbers like 66666. LMAO.

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 25, 2012
Don't eat in the dark, or else you will be sharing your food with spirits
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by olenyi: 3:38pm On Sep 25, 2012
wonlasewonimi:
When I was young, if I wanted my parents to forget my misdeeds, I'd just pull few strands of my eyelashes and put it on my head.

Ours was if u overstayed outside or on an errand, just tie two grass fronds together and no one will even so much as rebuke u wen u get home.

#PROVEN.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by goofie: 3:40pm On Sep 25, 2012
if pepper enters ur eyes, lick salt.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 25, 2012
If you don't want to sleep-off when reading at night, put your legs inside a bucket of water

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by slimojas89(m): 3:41pm On Sep 25, 2012
Get seven palm kernels,swallow that coloured tin inside, jump seven times. If you're short, you would get tall.. tongue half work e nor work

2 Likes

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by 001solar(m): 3:46pm On Sep 25, 2012
When you have 1 of teeth removed turn ur back against a house throw D teeth backwards on roofing sheet along with 7 stones so that the teeth would grow on time lolz
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 3:46pm On Sep 25, 2012
sadeiyare: If you don't want to sleep-off when reading at night, put your legs inside a bucket of water

Na Wash.

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by hyelhira: 3:48pm On Sep 25, 2012
Damalex4luv: Do not eat directly inside the pot,it may cause you being olodo.

I did that a lot as a kid. The bottom of the pot is always so sweet, especially for jollof rice. I may be an olodo, I may not be angry .

But I am a chartered accountant and as well as being a chartered investment and securities analyst. I also post on NL grin grin grin cool

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 25, 2012
When you are playing ball with an opposing street team or school team. Kill a lizard and stick office pins into it and put in your goal post ; all their shots at your goal will be over the bar or way off the post. lol

The only thing I don't know now is whether the opposing team did same. Lmao

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Sylverbox(m): 3:52pm On Sep 25, 2012
Very interesting. I too remember being told neva 2 kill a wall Gheko, dat some1 elses soul may b in it.
Also dat if u looked 2ru a mirror in d market u would find out dat some ppl r actually floating, not walking, and these ppl r ghosts!
That if u bit ur lips while talking or chewing, it meant some1 somewhere was talking abt U.
Also dat if some1 4gets something at ur place, say an umbrella, dat d moment u find d umbrella is d exact moment he/she realises he has 4goten an umbrella....looooollll!
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 25, 2012
That we should never insult the king, that the ground (earth) has mouth and ears ; it will hear us and go and tell the king
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by udoka2: 3:56pm On Sep 25, 2012
if you do any wrong at home, you should knot a leaf..meaning knotting the mouth of ur mum so she wont scold/beat u.

i actually did this, whenever l break my aunty's (grew up my mum's sister)plate, l will go searching for a leaf to knot. sometimess it will work shaa, but l did it anytime l did any wrong!
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 25, 2012
That one should never eat garri and mango, or one will die.

Lies lies and lies
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Pennywise(m): 4:04pm On Sep 25, 2012
OP beware. If it works, then its no superstition. If it says 'it will kill you' then run and not look back.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by jeddyMay(f): 4:24pm On Sep 25, 2012
naijathings: Okay make i share my own.
one early morning during my NYSC in one village in EKITI state.
I was on my was jogging in the early morning and there was this old lady coming towards me.
suddenly a fly went straight into my eye.
the old woman told me not to touch my eye.
she told me to spit on the floor 3 times.
i did it. and the fly came out shap shap like majik.
it has worked for me since then.

another one.

you wan shiet but toilet no dey near you?
rub your abdomen with a little of your own saliva and see. it will give you time to look for a toilet. works like magic.

another one.
when a baby piss on your body it is a blessing.

another one.
do not pick calls with numbers like 66666. LMAO.

cheddarking: Ahh...
Growing up as a 'Razz' boy in a 'Razz' area of Lagos state, I remember these primary school superstitions:

When you see two dogs mating/Gangbang1ng, drive a nail into the ground...and they will be hooked until you 'release' them

When you see a hawk/pigeon/random bird flying about, aim your hand at it, and then pull back your middle/index/any finger and the bird will keep flying round in circles

When you see a bunch of Herons flying about, start singing "Leke Leke, Gbamileke" and white spots will appear on your fingers.

When you spit on the floor, wipe it with your feet or you will get a sore throat...

grin grin

@SHIT, THEN,START SINGING: SHIT GO URINE COM grin

LEKE LEKE BAMI LEKE, EYE ADABA BAMI LEKE grin
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by jeddyMay(f): 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2012
sadeiyare: That one should never eat garri and mango, or one will die.

Lies lies and lies

U WILL HAVE STOMACH UPSET
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by madjune(m): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2012
When you shit in your dreams, know you have std or worse.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by SweetMouth(m): 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2012
naturaltee: while growing up, i remember my mum used to tel me dat when my palm scratches it means money is coming my way grin i believed and somhow it worked for me, funny but true.

also had som other beliefs dat when u have a sore throat, u shouldnt tel anyone, just wake up early in the morning look for a crack on the wall, open ur mouth wide and blow air into the crack 3x and the sore throat will be gone grin

Another is that if i dash my foot against a stone while walking is a bad signal that somthing terrible is about taking place( though not yet proven)

pls come along n share ur superstitious beliefs dat has or hasnt worked for u n lets have fun grin

These are absolute baseless imaginations that only exist in the mind of the uninformed
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by horlarkunle: 4:52pm On Sep 25, 2012
if someone fights nd bites u, if you put chicken shit,all his teeth will fall off! LMAO!
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by megawax8: 5:09pm On Sep 25, 2012
ferhyntorlah:

Mr, it would have been nice to type correctly. What is:
*mawnin
*jes
*yhu
Na wa.
u shuld take d log out of ur eye b4 attemptin takin out dat of d oda.........ur username probably wuld hav bin spelt correctly instead of 'ferhyntorlah'

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Audukaya: 5:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
mako007: Lol, did sumtin quite similar, pull few strands on my eyelashes mixed it up with some stick of broom then place it beneath the foot mat, once my dad/mum crosses over it the case becomes history. Lol
eyelashes,broom stick and one dead fly tie in a small bread leather,if they match it u re safe if they didnt u re finished. Hahaha!
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by adaptor4all: 5:15pm On Sep 25, 2012
cheesy cheesy ;DI luv superstitions wella,they truly describe d average African mentality
Na me drink coconut water pass,na only me dey chop head n eyes of fish..nd today,if na 4 brain power,hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

One Thing You Always Manage To Buy No Matter How Broke You Are? / Village Snakes / Beggar Using A Mobile Phone In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.