Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,565 members, 7,809,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! (6861 Views)

Startimes Slashes Bouquet Prices / How To Watch Free To Air On Hitv Decoder / Any New Channels On HiTV Satellite? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by amigoes(m): 1:11pm On Aug 10, 2010
Listen to Toyin Subair of HITV:

"It's unfortunate we lost out on the EPL rights which was not directly any fault of ours but due to the failure of the banks that were meant to give the sureties, we are however still happy to have other platforms in which we can still meet the aspirations of our viewers," Subair said.

"Football is our catalyst not our destination. Before people were attributing our success to just the EPL but now we would let them know the stuff we are made of."

Meanwhile, as part of the new strategy to increase its customers base which currently stands at over 300,000, the management has announced a reduction in its subscription rates from N6,000 to N3,500 for its premium bouquet as it plans to hit a mark of 500,000 subscribers before the end of the year.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5604808-146/more_to_hitv_than_english_premiership.csp

Pity
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by agitator: 2:34pm On Aug 10, 2010
Where is the reduction?

I think it was

(a) =N=2,500 - basic package
(b) =N=3,500 - all channels (no football)
(c) =N=6,000 - B+Football
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by twinskenny(m): 4:40pm On Aug 10, 2010
3500? Do they still av d right for cl?
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by amigoes(m): 4:46pm On Aug 10, 2010
twinskenny:

3500? Do they still av d right for cl?

yep
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by solo1ng1: 4:52pm On Aug 10, 2010
From today, the monthly subscription for Premium bouquet of HiTV that went for N6, 000 has been slashed to N3, 500 but the Correct Bouquet still goes for N1, 900. The price reduction plan according to Subair has been in the pipeline since early this year and was scheduled to start this August. “We are going ahead with the plan, so now our valued subscribers can watch premium sport, movies and enjoy music at a far reduced price. Nigerians deserve to enjoy quality programmes at a price that won’t kill them, we would have reduced the price before even if we had the Premiership right because the plan has been hatched for some months now,” he submitted.

The statement was awful, who dey deceive who?
Mr Subaru suppose to have reduce the price b4 now, am sure Nigerian prayer would have prevented dsthieves from hijacking the right, Prevention is better than cure, nothing to cure again as most pple are now moving to dthieves, o bad,

http://www.hitv.com.ng/newsroom.php?ID=92
So said by Mr toyin Subaru
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by amigoes(m): 4:55pm On Aug 10, 2010
agitator:

Where is the reduction?

I think it was

(a)    =N=2,500 - basic package
(b)    =N=3,500 - all channels (no football epl)
(c)     =N=6,000 - B+Football

call it realistic pricing then  grin grin
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by Ochukss(m): 5:47pm On Aug 10, 2010
Hicriminals, u guys have just shown dat u are thieves.if u like reduce d price to 1500, nigerians will never be fooled again.at ur 3000 price tag am sure ur subscriber base will reduce to 50000.u guys should keep dreaming of a subscriber base of 500000.u guys have totally missed it because of greed. I forsee mytv subscribers base getting higher than hitv's.what is making d matter worse is d introduction of fta such as inifinty tv, multitv.i heard inifinity tv will show epl.multitv shows spanish,italian,german leauges and no subscription is paid. I dont see hitv rising at all
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by Ochukss(m): 6:09pm On Aug 10, 2010
Who does subair thinks he is fooling? He said d plan has been in d pipeline since d start of d year. He should go and think of better ways to tell lies.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by GeorgeD1(m): 7:00pm On Aug 10, 2010
medicine after death?
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by twinskenny(m): 7:26pm On Aug 10, 2010
Someone shud plz tell subairu to turn the whole package to fta, then maybe he can realize his dream of 500000 subcriber base!
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by amigoes(m): 8:26pm On Aug 10, 2010
In all honesty,
i) methinks Subair's business strategy/model is warped (spending billions of naira on epl only doesn't make much business sense).
ii) considering the volume of advices/bashing given Urfriend on this board, a sensitive organization would have carried out a sort of re-engineering to address those myriads of complaints.
iii) their pricing is not realistic compared to their content.

I hope he recovers fast and may he Subair (HITV) not go the way of  Dokpesi (DAARSAT),  Famuyibo (FSTV) and co. for NAIJA's  economy and for the sake of the overcrowded labour market.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by hooged: 9:44pm On Aug 10, 2010
Na wa oh ,
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by chris7272: 10:18am On Aug 11, 2010
it is a shame that Hithievies can not go to viewing centers to arrest anymore, what ever somebody is doing he should think of tomorrow even with 1,000 i can't subsribe with them very soon fta will finish you all and startv will be in support.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by GeorgeD1(m): 11:42am On Aug 11, 2010
someone should tell subair to watch his back. startimes tv is the silent champion set to dethrone dstv, hitv, etc in this clime and they have nta as thier backbone. beware because time will come when even if you cut down your susbcription rate to 1,000 naira, your customers won't come back! grin
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by usbcable(m): 11:45am On Aug 11, 2010
1. I feel its not too late for them, the EPL had given them alot of customer base and publicity which they can ride upon to boost revenue through better programming.
2. It will make sense if they can get rights to other leagues. At least bundesliga dey, and Serie A as well remain somewhat popular to some extent and not to mention la liga too.
3. If they cant get rights to the best leagues, they can at least push for selected matches in EPL,LA LIGA,SERIE A,BUNDESLIGA e.t.c. At least N.T.A. Dey show some matches so why cant they. It will still make them relevant in the industry. Call it something like what musicians do i.e. they feature in songs when they dont have any singles or albums to release.

I have a D.S.T.V. But I will never hope for another Nigerian business to suffer into oblivion due to extreme circumstances.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by twinskenny(m): 12:20pm On Aug 11, 2010
Startime have a better publicity than hitv,
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by Hotwire(m): 12:33pm On Aug 11, 2010
Glad I am not one of HITV subscribers. Star Times and 24hrs FTA are enough for my needs. But I still wish the company to reinvent itself to offer better and cost effective service delivery. Loss of customer subscriber base means loss of employment for thousands of Nigerians.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by mrkontro: 1:00pm On Aug 11, 2010
who says football is only played in the EPL? Hitv still have 100% right to The Carling Cup, the Italian Seria A, the Uefa Europa League, the Uefa Champions League. what would they do to please Nigerians. The question is could this have happened in South Africa? everytime a Nigerian company struggles it's blown out of contxt. they told us that GSM can never run on per seconds billings, Glo proved it wrong, they said pay tv can NEVER work on anything less than #7,000.00 Naira, hey Hitv changed all that and even forced the recorgnition of Yoruba movies and a lot more.

We are Nigerians and we should look at the BIG pictures before blasting off.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by Jencejyde(m): 1:08pm On Aug 11, 2010
I mean what is Toyin crying about, Did he not know?, Was he not told. Personal advice came from close quarters for him to improve the quality of his content around his mainstay which was the EPL, but did he listen? NO!!!

I just laughed when i saw the text message on my phone and said to myself, This guy has not learned yet. Instead of them to sit down and strategically address what went wrong with a view of combating it and planning for a longer term to REALISTICALLY achieve their objectives of a huge consumer base that will have about 40 to 50% unique or loyal customers that will continue providing revenue just to keep them in the business amidst any competition that may arise( Already there are about 3 or four now sef)

Medicine after death but i guess more of greed, why were they(HITV) even going after viewing centers in the first place?@#$ simply ridiculous and at this level of business, is that the best way to fight piracy?( even if you can fight it at all) and to think that you dont even have a foot-hold in the market and , abeg i dey get headache right now.

Please he should just put all his bouquet on a single price and stop fooling around with this ridiculous pricing system and media lies if he wants to get back on track.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by Jencejyde(m): 1:35pm On Aug 11, 2010
mr.kontro:

who says football is only played in the EPL? Hitv still have 100% right to The Carling Cup, the Italian Seria A, the Uefa Europa League, the Uefa Champions League. what would they do to please Nigerians. The question is could this have happened in South Africa? everytime a Nigerian company struggles it's blown out of contxt. they told us that GSM can never run on per seconds billings, Glo proved it wrong, they said pay tv can NEVER work on anything less than #7,000.00 Naira, hey Hitv changed all that and even forced the recorgnition of Yoruba movies and a lot more.

Well said sir!

Let's look at this from a marketing perspective, did HITV pay close attention to their target market and if you take a quick survey of the Nigerian populace, you would realise that the numbers favour those that will invest in the EPL compared to any other League as it stands now in NIGERIA, in NIgeria, because that is your market, they are the ones you are selling to and not SA.

As per the GLO isssue, have you considered the financial Muscle that Glo is backed upon, which made it very easy for them to challenge MTN in the telecommunications market. They aslo did not rest on their luares and continued to build packages while continously paying attention to their market(Consumers) which is the Life of any Business. Make your customers happy, and your cutomers will make your business wealthy.

Remember the Indomie saga? Now if indomie did not have loyal and unique customers who would die to consume their product, do you think they would still be in the business right now, (some peeps even say the epic was a sabotage) You don't go around chasing people in the viewing centers knowing what the current situation in Nigeria is. Even artistes don't fight with Alaba Boys.

Tell me how HITV has been able to warm the hearts of its customers, by repeating TROY everyday on the movie channel? I mean GLO challenged MTN but they lived up to their challenge, they proved it and remained consistent, if they could not would they too not been labeled as liars?

We are Nigerians and we love our country but if you produce a shoe and it cant last up to month without too much wear and tear, must i buy it?
We have a right to make choices and it's only those willing to give us quality that we will embrace whether Nigerian or not.

1 Like

Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by GBT(m): 1:49pm On Aug 11, 2010
I actually pity Toyin but as a reasonable entreprenuer he should have forecasted this scenero and made provision for such situation.

Meanwhile can some one update me on what Startimes tv is all about and cost implication as i wont mind channeling the subscription meant for HITV TO THEM and unfortunately that of DSTV IS SECURED CAUSE OF EPL
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by solo1ng1: 2:02pm On Aug 11, 2010
mr.kontro:

Oga Kontro,

The best and lucrative footbal is played in England, Epl,
EPL has been Promoted as "The Greatest Show On Earth", the Premier League is the world's most popular and most watched sporting league, followed worldwide by over half a billion people in 202 countries, frequently on networks owned and/or controlled by NewsCorp who also own Sky Sports.

The Premier League is the most lucrative football league in the world, with total club revenues rising 26% to £1.93 billion ($3.15bn) as of 2007–08.[2] Eleven of the twenty Premier League teams made an operating profit in that year. Wage costs also reached €1.51 billion in 2007/08, considerably higher than that of the next highest-spending league, the Italian Serie A (at €972m). Individual salaries are rarely, if ever, confirmed in public, although a survey of players in 2006, conducted in conjunction with the Professional Footballers' Association, showed the average basic wage in the Premier League was £676,000 per year, or £13,000 per week, before bonuses.

The Premier League's gross revenue is the fourth highest of any sports league worldwide, behind the annual revenues of the three most popular North American major sports leagues (the National Football League, Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association), but ahead of the National Hockey League. On a per club basis, the average revenues of the 20 Premier League teams are thought to be close to those of the 30-team NBA. However, there is much greater financial disparity among Premier League clubs when compared to the members of any of the "Big Four" North American leagues.

In terms of world football, the Premier League clubs are some of the richest in the world. Deloitte, who annually release figures on club revenues through its "Football Money League", listed eight Premier League clubs in the top 20 for the 2005–06 season. No other league has more than four clubs in this table, and while La Liga rivals Real Madrid and FC Barcelona take up two of the top 3 places, no other Spanish clubs are listed in the top 20. Premier League teams have dominated the list for many years, and even topped the list for almost a decade until the 2004–05 season. After the Premier League's new TV deal went into effect, the league-wide increase in revenues is expected to increase the Premier League clubs' standing in the list, and there is a possibility that a Premier League club will be top of the list.

Another significant source of regular income for Premier League clubs remains their revenue from stadium attendances, which, with the 2008–09 average attendance of 35,632 for league matches, is the fifth highest of any domestic professional sports league in the world, ahead of Serie A and La Liga, but behind the German Bundesliga. This represents an increase of 14,506 from the average attendance of 21,126 recorded in the league's first season (1992–93). However, during the 1992–93 season the capacities of most stadia were reduced as clubs replaced terraces with seats in order to meet the Taylor Report's 1994–95 deadline for all-seater stadia. The Premier League's record average attendance of 35,989 was set during the 2007–08 season. Average attendances fluctuate depending on which teams are in the league.

So oga, EPL is not about Nigeria or Nigerians but it's a world football, when the big four plays, the world always watch, from america - north america - africa - asia - europe & the atlantic, that is the spirit of EPL,

That is why paytv jostle  for viewing rights, even if its just one match/week, HITV are negotiating that with dstv now (what an irony),
Check Abu dhabi, it has only EPL as it sport bonquet, am sure they will still break even across the middleast and sub sahara africa,

Subair is a laywer not a businessman, he uses the law to operate hitv and not run it from businessman's pespective,

Ask the artist if they will ever sell 500,000 copies by closing down alaba, who go go shop go shop 4 CD, 90% buy these stuff from the street,

Prevention is better than cure!
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by Jencejyde(m): 2:19pm On Aug 11, 2010
solo1ng1:

Oga Kontro,

The best and lucrative footbal is played in England, Epl,
EPL has been Promoted as "The Greatest Show On Earth", the Premier League is the world's most popular and most watched sporting league, followed worldwide by over half a billion people in 202 countries, frequently on networks owned and/or controlled by NewsCorp who also own Sky Sports.

The Premier League is the most lucrative football league in the world, with total club revenues rising 26% to £1.93 billion ($3.15bn) as of 2007–08.[2] Eleven of the twenty Premier League teams made an operating profit in that year. Wage costs also reached €1.51 billion in 2007/08, considerably higher than that of the next highest-spending league, the Italian Serie A (at €972m). Individual salaries are rarely, if ever, confirmed in public, although a survey of players in 2006, conducted in conjunction with the Professional Footballers' Association, showed the average basic wage in the Premier League was £676,000 per year, or £13,000 per week, before bonuses.

The Premier League's gross revenue is the fourth highest of any sports league worldwide, behind the annual revenues of the three most popular North American major sports leagues (the National Football League, Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association), but ahead of the National Hockey League. On a per club basis, the average revenues of the 20 Premier League teams are thought to be close to those of the 30-team NBA. However, there is much greater financial disparity among Premier League clubs when compared to the members of any of the "Big Four" North American leagues.

In terms of world football, the Premier League clubs are some of the richest in the world. Deloitte, who annually release figures on club revenues through its "Football Money League", listed eight Premier League clubs in the top 20 for the 2005–06 season. No other league has more than four clubs in this table, and while La Liga rivals Real Madrid and FC Barcelona take up two of the top 3 places, no other Spanish clubs are listed in the top 20. Premier League teams have dominated the list for many years, and even topped the list for almost a decade until the 2004–05 season. After the Premier League's new TV deal went into effect, the league-wide increase in revenues is expected to increase the Premier League clubs' standing in the list, and there is a possibility that a Premier League club will be top of the list.

Another significant source of regular income for Premier League clubs remains their revenue from stadium attendances, which, with the 2008–09 average attendance of 35,632 for league matches, is the fifth highest of any domestic professional sports league in the world, ahead of Serie A and La Liga, but behind the German Bundesliga. This represents an increase of 14,506 from the average attendance of 21,126 recorded in the league's first season (1992–93). However, during the 1992–93 season the capacities of most stadia were reduced as clubs replaced terraces with seats in order to meet the Taylor Report's 1994–95 deadline for all-seater stadia. The Premier League's record average attendance of 35,989 was set during the 2007–08 season. Average attendances fluctuate depending on which teams are in the league.

So oga, EPL is not about Nigeria or Nigerians but it's a world football, when the big four plays, the world always watch, from america - north america - africa - asia - europe & the atlantic, that is the spirit of EPL,

That is why paytv jostle  for viewing rights, even if its just one match/week, HITV are negotiating that with dstv now (what an irony),
Check Abu dhabi, it has only EPL as it sport bonquet, am sure they will still break even across the middleast and sub sahara africa,

Subair is a laywer not a businessman, he uses the law to operate hitv and not run it from businessman's pespective,

Ask the artist if they will ever sell 500,000 copies by closing down alaba, who go go shop go shop 4 CD, 90% buy these stuff from the street,

Prevention is better than cure!
On point!
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by sley4life(m): 2:25pm On Aug 11, 2010
hahaha. Let dem kip showing there repeat Movies
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by sley4life(m): 2:31pm On Aug 11, 2010
solo1ng1:

From today, the monthly subscription for Premium bouquet of HiTV that went for N6, 000 has been slashed to N3, 500 but the Correct Bouquet still goes for N1, 900. The price reduction plan according to Subair has been in the pipeline since early this year and was scheduled to start this August. “We are going ahead with the plan, so now our valued subscribers can watch premium sport, movies and enjoy music at a far reduced price. Nigerians deserve to enjoy quality programmes at a price that won’t kill them, we would have reduced the price before even if we had the Premiership right because the plan has been hatched for some months now,” he submitted. 

http://www.hitv.com.ng/newsroom.php?ID=92

He is a crim^nal. That statement was false. He tinks we ar morons 2 blv such sacrilegious comment
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by omamokta: 2:52pm On Aug 11, 2010
Pele, he believes in the theory of instead the whole fish will enter inside the water, cut the tail. grin grin grin
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by Vavavoom(m): 3:13pm On Aug 11, 2010
Expectedly. Now the company should endeavour to develope quality content herefrom and prepare itself for future EPL bid. Nigerians will patronise quality irrespective of ownership. The whole saga has been a good lesson of how not to build from a weak foundation. I hope other Nigerian companies in similar situation have taken a cue.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by lafile(m): 3:18pm On Aug 11, 2010
I'll like to react to some statements made by Toyin Subair at the news conference. The story can be found here http://www.hitv.com.ng/newsroom.php?ID=92.

“I want to correct the impression that HiTV is all about the English Premier League." - Is it a lie? I haven't renewed my subscription since the conclusion of the last EPL season. I can bet most people haven't.

"While we pride ourselves as number one in the area of sports content especially football, HiTV is purely an entertainment Pay TV company with lots of other entertainment content for the viewing delight of its numerous subscribers." - Really? Apart from Sky News and Al Jazeera, the only other channel i watch is Nickelodeon. My daughter loves Spongebob.

", for movies, we have Hi Movies, Hi Mix" - Is it the HiMix that shows cartoons until 9pm and ends the day with some stupid talk shows and dry series?
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by Kentus(f): 3:21pm On Aug 11, 2010
After all said and done, na una sabi. I know I will still subscribe to both DSTV and HITV and di tin dey pain me. sad

Last season I was only always sure to subscribe to HITV cos they showed the major football tournaments. Now I will be forced to subscribe to both cos one shows Champions league and the other EPL. That's definitely more money on my favourite form of entertainment.

By the way, N3, 500 for Champions league, Nickelodeon (for my son), Carling Cup, Seria A and Fox news no bad like that na. Please be easy on Mr. Subair, I'm sure he's already getting the point.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by amigoes(m): 3:32pm On Aug 11, 2010
emmmmmm sorry where is urfriend

the guy should give us subair's e-mail addy.

there are lots of professional advices here for him for free.
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by twinskenny(m): 3:41pm On Aug 11, 2010
Kentus:

After all said and done, na una sabi. I know I will still subscribe to both DSTV and HITV and di tin dey pain me. sad

Last season I was only always sure to subscribe to HITV cos they showed the major football tournaments. Now I will be forced to subscribe to both cos one shows Champions league and the other EPL. That's definitely more money on my favourite form of entertainment.

By the way, N3, 500 for Champions league, Nickelodeon (for my son), Carling Cup, Seria A and Fox news no bad like that na. Please be easy on Mr. Subair, I'm sure he's already getting the point.

lolz

Ma, i understand your point but I am not sure if the man is reading any of this comment,
Re: Too Little Too Late? Hitv Slashes Rates! by Jencejyde(m): 3:48pm On Aug 11, 2010
The guy does not need any pro advice, It just goes to show that being a lawyer is not the same as being a businessman.

Sebi he worships at COD and there are lots of sound and established businessmen whom he relates with, Problem i think was greed, cos he was adviced.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ovhd Decoder Activation / Is There A Promo From Dstv This Xmas? / GOTV Is Scam!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.