Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Nigerians With English Surnames - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerians With English Surnames (12381 Views)

How Does It Feel To Have Surnames Like Anini Or Oyenusi?? / On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's / Should Our Kids Still Bear Our Surnames (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians With English Surnames by Stellastar: 4:10pm On Aug 11, 2010
Why do some Nigerians have English surnames?
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by NaijaSisi(f): 4:35pm On Aug 11, 2010
Those people tend to be from Lagos, maybe thats where the white men were based when they came and colonised Nigeria back in the time of our ancestors. That's just a guess/possibility o! Not fact, so don't take my word for it, but that could be the reason why
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by coolier(f): 4:36pm On Aug 11, 2010
Did you not do History in school?
Their forefathers are descendants of runaway or freed African slaves who found their way back to Africa. The English surnames passed on from generation to generation are those given to them by their masters who found it condescending to call them by their African names.
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by whiteroses(f): 11:28pm On Aug 11, 2010
please why is this oh i've been wondering all my life i'm ready to change my surname mehn but its sometimes a plus when i'm looking for a job, where do these names come from, both my parent side came from osun state and have foreign names
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by Stellastar: 12:32am On Aug 12, 2010
Thank you for your enlightenment. I just asked my mother. She said that some Nigerians use a saint's name as their surname. My friend said that the first / Christian name of an ancestor may be used as a surname. My question has been answered.
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by AloyEmeka5: 2:27am On Aug 12, 2010
whiteroses:

please why is this oh i've been wondering all my life i'm ready to change my surname mehn but its sometimes a plus when i'm looking for a job, where do these names come from, both my parent side came from osun state and have foreign names
oturugbeke shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by whiteroses(f): 2:14pm On Aug 12, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

oturugbeke shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
oturugbeke, what does this mean oh
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by adim2(m): 5:22am On Aug 14, 2010
Many Nigerians answer white names because they had early and enough contacts with the white people mostly from Efik, Calabar, Cross River etc while most people preferred to answer these names because they adopted new faith and they feel that their former names will dedicated to idols. for example name like Nmor, Alusieke, Nwaeke, eke, etc
why some people are outcast who just migrated to other location and decided to change their names. while some people just bear the name because it is foreign
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by tpiah: 3:18am On Aug 25, 2010
whiteroses:

oturugbeke, what does this mean oh

she [aloy emeka] is insulting you for daring to say you have an english name and you're from osun state. long story which i wont get into.

when she was a female nairalander, aloy emeka used to claim osun so she feels she has exclusive monopoly of the place, for certain reasons.

now she and her fellow beer guzzlers have shifted to kwara but still have their crooked eyes on osun.

she wants to move on to ondo next but that particular bone may scratch her.

anyway, aloy emeka is your "friend" and will always "defend you when necessary"
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by whiteroses(f): 10:13am On Aug 25, 2010
^^^ oh ok seen tanks smiley
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by julianH(m): 11:57am On Aug 25, 2010
A surname could be native or english; it does not really matter.
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by rasputinn(m): 10:34pm On Aug 25, 2010
It's no big deal as long as that's the family's surname(as obtains in most parts of Rivers state) and not when someone with an inferiority complex just decides to do away with their traditional family surname to answer a western surname
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by ITbomb(m): 11:00pm On Aug 25, 2010
Sometimes i wonder where stella damascus got the damascus from
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by luap: 6:25pm On Aug 26, 2010
I never liked my english surnames. I have often wanted to disgard it like Malcum X did.
Re: Nigerians With English Surnames by Outstrip(f): 7:18pm On Aug 26, 2010
ITbomb:

Sometimes i wonder where stella damascus got the damascus from

It's actually Damasus. I think their real last name was Ojukwu but their father wanting to separate them from the other "Ojukwu" so as not to draw the attention of people that might want to do them hard decided to go with his other name which is Damasus

I think I read that somewhere. Can't remember where though

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Out -my Wife Change Completely After Wedding / Nairaland Christmas Giveaway By Twaci (2021 Edition) / How Do You Treat Your Maid?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.