Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

World Scholars Alumni Foundation Scholarship 2010. I Sense Scam. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / World Scholars Alumni Foundation Scholarship 2010. I Sense Scam. (2999 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Prestigious Alumni / 7 Nigerian Universities With The Strongest Alumni Bodies / University In Nigeria With The Most Recognized Alumni? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Scholars Alumni Foundation Scholarship 2010. I Sense Scam. by whaithee(m): 4:31pm On Aug 11, 2010
What you are about to read is solely my opinion based on personal observation.

The world scholars alumni foundation scholarship 2010 began sending mails to their shortlisted scholarship candidate on the 9th of August 2010, asking them to pay 110 USD student membership fee and 94.25 USD for fingerprint,

I decided to search "World Scholars Alumni Foundation Scholarship 2010" on google and a few reviews on the scholarship program. On reading through the reviews, I noticed how generous the World Scholars Alumni Foundation is.

According to the scholarship reviews online I was able to observe some lapses about the foundation that makes me suspect scam. Here is an article I wrote on my observation. Please, I'll advise that you read between the lines. The article is a bit lengthy, but can help you make the right decision. Please if you applied for this scholarship let's hear your opinion.

The discussion on the link below have over 90 comments so far. Read what other victims have to say.
http://www.afterschoolafrica.com/2010/08/world-scholars-alumni-foundation.html
Re: World Scholars Alumni Foundation Scholarship 2010. I Sense Scam. by wizsultan: 6:39am On Aug 12, 2010
you are right!!!
this is fraud man,

Domain: wsaf2010.com

DNS:
NS11.DNS-EXCHANGE.NET
NS12.DNS-EXCHANGE.NET

Created: 2009-12-07 20:24:07
Expires: 2010-12-07 20:24:07
Last Modified: 2009-12-07 20:05:43

Registrant Contact:
Whoisprotection.cc
Domain Admin ()
Lot 2-1, Incubator 1, Technology Park Malaysia, Bukit Jalil
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia 57000
P: +603.89966788 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +603.89966788 end_of_the_skype_highlighting F: +603.0

Administrative Contact:
Whoisprotection.cc
Domain Admin ()
P: +603.89966788 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +603.89966788 end_of_the_skype_highlighting F: +603.0

Technical Contact:
Whois[url=http://whois.domaintools.com/wsaf2010.com]protection.cc
Domain Admin ()

Billing Contact:
Whoisprotection.cc
Domain Admin ()

http://whois.domaintools.com/wsaf2010.com

analysis:
1. the website isn't professional, its wishy-washy
2. the site is a free host. (it shd give u concerns)
3. the site was created last year and will expire december this year (are they that poor?)
4. if actually world scholars has bn in existence since 1976, they should have atleast members in forums (none after searching thru the web)
5. it has no history on wikipaedia
6. world scholars claims to be australia, whereas the website was created and its bn administered in malaysia.
7. why should you pay 100 dollars each for i.d card and fingerprint, its outrageous!!!
8. why should u even pay @ all, it is meant to be a scholarship
9. you are told to pay to malaysia, instead of australia. (can u trust malaysians?)
10. WSAF awarded the scholarship to everyone that applied to my best knowledge, are they that generous?
11. on the site, click tel a friend and fill the form with two email addys u av access to, u will see wat i mean, (it is a fraud)
12. they claim they av bn awarding scholarships, no prove to show for it, i.e no wsaf2009, wsaf2008, etc (no past history with google search)

it is a well-administered scam,
pls dont fall for it
Re: World Scholars Alumni Foundation Scholarship 2010. I Sense Scam. by maindiva: 11:14am On Aug 13, 2010
Hi everyone!!!

WSAF is truly a scam.

I went ot British Council Nigeria, British High Commission Nigeria,called British High Commission and British Council Malaysia on the authenticity of this scholarship and guess what,

THEY ALL SAID IT IS A FAKE.

I even went as far as calling Nigeria High Commission UK that has a list of all scholarship bodies and they quickly explained that they have never heard of it since its existence-1972-common!!!Its such a scam.

And then finally,I called WSAF on the no given on the form and realized that it was a malaysian no,so im wondering why on earth is Australia written on the form?

I later spoke with them and here was my discussion and response:

Me : Supposed WSAF
Hello : Hello,WSAF,how may i help you,my name is , (of course different from the name of the person who sent the mail-susan , )

Hi,I got the WSAF Scholarship and I will like to know the next step of action: ok,just pay in through moneygram through , Account

But Why an Individual Account: Hello,Hello,I cant hear u

Why must I pay some amount of money for this scholarship: It is for future correspondence to help other students

Since when have u been in existence?: 1972

How many students have won this scholarship since 1972: We are going to publish that by September 3(contrary to September 9 written on the website)

But why should it take that long?: Hello,Hello,I cant hear you, the reception is very bad here,Hello,

So how do we pay in Nigeria?we cannot pay through moneygram in Nigeriasadspeedily!!!)-alright, heres an account name and account no in Malaysia, you can pay it into this account

I am sorry but we need to confirm the authenticity of the scholarship: The award is not obligatory

I am here,I can hear you clearly: Line drops,

Can you just imagine?

I even went as far as contacting the scholarship board of my University at UK and they advised that no scholarship board "charges" for their service, i mean, this is why it is called a scholarship, right?and also, i was told by them that since they have been in my University,no student has ever been awarded the scholarship.

Also, why on earth will the website be www.wsaf2010.com, what happened to just www.wsaf.com?This is because this site was just created 2009.

Why also, will the iste look so bare,if they can afford to give students full tuition,maintenence,books and flight tickets, why will they possible not have a very nice site.

You should all also note that the location of the account no and name given to me is in a popular market in malaysia,Someone who has travelled there confirmed this!!!

IT HAS TO BE FAKE.

PLEASE, SPREAD THE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,
Re: World Scholars Alumni Foundation Scholarship 2010. I Sense Scam. by whaithee(m): 8:36pm On Aug 15, 2010
Thanks felas. It's really amazing how far this discussion have gone so far, Let more people get to know.
Re: World Scholars Alumni Foundation Scholarship 2010. I Sense Scam. by antonija: 7:42am On Aug 16, 2010
Yes, it's a scam! I have also checked them. What I am concerned about is whether they can do anything with the information they have about us (e.g. they have our birt certificates, signature, photo, )
Re: World Scholars Alumni Foundation Scholarship 2010. I Sense Scam. by whaithee(m): 3:49pm On Aug 20, 2010
With the information the have so far, I don't see much danger,except for the fact that you'd be cautions of unsolicited mails or calls from people that may tell you a lot about you, without you knowing them. They could use it for more personal scam,

(1) (Reply)

Post UTME Will Still Take Place / Question And Answers On Laspotech 2018 Application Forms (full-time / Part-time) / Once Bitten, Twice Shy - 1st Term School Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.