Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,349 members, 7,808,218 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? (2763 Views)

Should I Quit School And Take This Job Offer? / My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls / Please I Need Your Advice On What To Tell My Friend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by fashlak(f): 5:10pm On Apr 18, 2007
Hello Nairaland, Please I need a sincere advice from you all,

There was a job placement in my office so I introduced a friend of mine to come drop her CV, she passed the first and second stage of interview, the HR later discovered that she was my friend , now i was asked by the HR if i can recommend her to the company, the HR said she doesn't look serious and might not be hardworking but is still asking if i can recommend her.

Please I need an urgent answer from you guy. I hope it wont put me in trouble if I recommend her because we are just friends; we have never worked together. sad
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by Seun(m): 10:34am On Apr 19, 2007
Complete honesty is (almost) always the best policy. Tell your boss what you know about her based on your friendship, but let him know that you have not worked together. Let it be his decision; you need not risk your job.
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by Beline(f): 10:58am On Apr 19, 2007
tell you HR all you know about her. No cover up, no exaggeration

God bless you as you help another generation
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by arosoye(f): 11:07am On Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

I think the 1st mistake you made is introducing your friend to your place of work for job placement. I have suffered greatly for introducing someone close to me to my office, i nearly lost my job which i am finally letting go now willinglyanyway. She has been introduced you cant do anything about it but JUST TELL YOUR BOSS THAT SHE IS JUST A FRIEND AND YOU ARE NOT STANDING IN AS A REFREE FOR HER. PLS DONT GO THRU WHAT I WENT THRU. HELPING PPLE IS GOOD BUT NOT AT THE EXPENCE OF YOUR CAREER OR LIFE!
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by jiggo(m): 11:11am On Apr 19, 2007
True talk o,
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by 2dye4(m): 11:11am On Apr 19, 2007
let your HR manager know the extent to which u know her and qualities that she possess(that makes her recommendable). Dnt go vouching for her beyond the necessary or say things that u can guarantee concerning her as this mite get u into trouble especially if they turn out otherwise.

Jst be as honest and helpful as u can. undecided
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by dremoney(m): 11:15am On Apr 19, 2007
tell ur HR all u know bout ur friend n d level of d relationship.
its not advisable u recommend(as in stand - in ) him anyway.
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by ohla(f): 12:18pm On Apr 19, 2007
its always hard to recommend people,at least in your case its a lot easier since you say she is your friend,u should be able to say one or two things bout her,dnt ova do anyway,jst do wateva you can do to help,it will go along way but nt at the expense of your job,its well.
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by desorlah(f): 12:32pm On Apr 19, 2007
Everyone have spoken, i think its left for u now! So, go ahead and do what seems right to you.

Goodlluck
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by lokwe(m): 12:34pm On Apr 19, 2007
No cover Ups, No exaggratin, Just the hOlE truth.
Peace
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by cinnamon(f): 12:47pm On Apr 19, 2007
Do whatever your conscience tells you.
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by munchkins(f): 1:03pm On Apr 19, 2007
Its amazing how someone who is not serious could manage and pass the 1st and 2nd stage of interviews. sometimes appearance can be deceptive and since your HR has never worked with her before, they definately can't detemine how hardworking she is or not. My honest advice to you is to come clean by telling your HR what you know about her - No addition no subtraction and hope for the best. cheers
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by jiggo(m): 1:59pm On Apr 19, 2007
@cinnamon
dat site na wah o!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by Pain(m): 4:53pm On Apr 19, 2007
munchkins:

Its amazing how someone who is not serious could manage and pass the 1st and 2nd stage of interviews. sometimes appearance can be deceptive and since your HR has never worked with her before, they definately can't detemine how hardworking she is or not. My honest advice to you is to come clean by telling your HR what you know about her - No addition no subtraction and hope for the best. cheers

Good Observation. How can u deduce a persons dedication to work from looks inspite of passing 2 stages of an interview?

Besides who else do you prefer to recommend? Friend or Stranger?

I believe Friendship is for times like these. Life is all about risks. Please recommend.
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by Bonie(m): 6:01pm On Apr 19, 2007
The Devil you know, is better than the saint u never know about, so my guy recommend her, and let her know that is because of the trust your establishment has over u that make them to employ her, so in all aspect she gat to sit up and be smart in all her duties assigned to her not to put u in shame. Any way ones again ma guy thanks for being your friends keeper thats make a friend. Somany has this opportunity but due to fear of unnown the deprived even there close friends means of greener pasture. God will also make somebody else recommend you to a greater place than where you are today.

Cheers ma guy
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by user86666(m): 6:07pm On Apr 19, 2007
My observation:
Inefficient HR
She passed 2 interviews and they think shes unserious, wonder how she passed then?
Now she prob will be smiling, waiting n hoping to hear from them knowing well that she smashed both interviews
Thats how people pass tests n interviews and still dont clinch the job in these parts
Just play neutral and dont let em put u in the middle joo

'nuf said
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by jesuseun1(m): 8:00pm On Apr 19, 2007
wonderful contribution from u guys,personally,I think d guy should just complete d gud work He has started,Life is about taking risk,He should just go ahead to recommend d friend.and He should let His know d consequence of recommending Her,meaning She need to sit up and adjust.

It wont be nice that after passing d interviews and test she wont be able to get d job because Her friend refuse to recommend Her.Lending helping hands sometimes could be risky but it will surely pays off at d end.so be positive and pray about d whole thing that ur friend will be at her Best thruout Her stay in d company. ''remember a friend in need is a friend indeed''
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by Ena345(f): 8:00pm On Apr 19, 2007
Hi. I believe there's a difference between friends and mere acquaintances. If as u say, u've neva worked with her, it is advisable that u explain that to the HR. Let them understand that although u both parly well socially, u've neva really been in a wk situation together. That way, u will not be putting ur job on the line and, well, concience? can't say
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by spoilt(f): 11:48pm On Apr 19, 2007
rule number, one never recommend someone you cant vouch for. sentiments aside. recommendation isnt just about her getting the job its about how hard the person works. she fit commit fraud sef and na on top your head e go dey. think carefully.
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by kliverpool(m): 7:06am On Apr 20, 2007
look i don't know what u want again,Never judge a book by the cover.
You know its very hard to get job in this part of the world
i don't know what you are waiting for
tell the girl about it and she will worship you for helping her.
And u never can tell u have a job today
do u know what will happen to you tommorrow?
Be good to those u meet on your way up cos u never can tell
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by spora(m): 10:03am On Apr 20, 2007
While it is very good to help a friend (if in need), Nigerians (I dont know why) have a way of stabbing you at the back the moment they get the offer, especially if it is the same company you work.

I am talking form experience. The person you introduced will be the very person that will now be doing everything to frustrate you especially if you happen to be the boss. And you wont want to sack him/her or reporting him, since you recommended him in the first place.

What I will advise is since you have already done the introduction, please finish the process, she may turn out to be one that appreciates good turn.

Do your best and leave the rest.
Re: Should I Recommend My Friend For This Job? by lawenjins(m): 8:49pm On Apr 22, 2007
yes!, if the friend is worth the job why not

(1) (Reply)

CAC Business Registration For You / The Niit Scholarship, "a Mirage: / Pls I Need Shell Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.