Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,922 members, 7,806,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return (7616 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Disney Style, Serena Williams Wedding Gown Revealed (Photos) / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by MhizMuna: 8:43am On Jan 15, 2019
Serena Williams made a ruthless start in her quest for a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam singles title with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over unseeded German Tatjana Maria in the first round of the Australian Open on Tuesday.

The seven-time Australian Open champion was pregnant when she won the last of her 23rd Grand Slam titles at Melbourne Park.

She, however, showed her brutal power and athleticism in the match between the two mothers at Rod Laver Arena.

The 37-year-old Williams, playing her first Grand Slam since her rant against the umpire at last year’s U.S. Open final, lost only 24 points against Maria.

Williams finished the match in just 49 minutes on her second match point when Maria sent a backhand wide.

The American is expected to play with the winner of the match between Peng Shuai and Eugenie Bouchard.

Meanwhile, Williams on Tuesday said she was excited to be back in action with a strong start in Melbourne after winning her last grand slam title at the Australian Open in 2017.

The 37-year-old American holds the most Open Era singles titles, but is looking to equal Margaret Court’s all-time record of 24.

“I have so many good memories of the last time I was here,” said Williams in her post-match comment.

“It was literally the best win of my career, so it’s just good to get back. I’m glad that I was able to come out and do what I needed to do.

“The last time I was here I was pregnant and playing at the same time, so it’s kind of weird walking back on by myself this time.”

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Williams, who also often likes to make strong fashion statements with her eye-catching outfits appeared in a sporty turquoise Nike romper with white and black stripes.

It was a departure from the all-black “tutu” uniform designed by Virgil Abloh that she wore at the 2018 US Open finals.

According to a statement from Nike, which also sponsors Australian Nick Kyrgios, the Australian Open collection “takes inspiration from early Nike Tennis DNA… This look was made iconic by Andre Agassi in the ’90s”.

Up next for the seven-time Australian Open champion will likely be a deceptively difficult opponent when she takes on either former World No.5 Eugenie Bouchard or former World No.14 Peng Shuai.

Bouchard reached the semifinals in Melbourne back in 2014, and has shown signs of a resurgence since hiring coach Michael Joyce, reaching the quarterfinals of the ASB Classic in Auckland to start the season.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/ca/idCAKCN1P906X-OCASP

2 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Rextizz(m): 8:46am On Jan 15, 2019
Dat azz
Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:49am On Jan 15, 2019
The last time I was here I was pregnant and playing at the same time, so it’s kind of weird walking back on by myself this time.”
Strong African Woman!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Abjay97(m): 8:49am On Jan 15, 2019
h
Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by apesinola001: 8:50am On Jan 15, 2019
Thick woman
Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by maestroferdi: 8:50am On Jan 15, 2019
She should conserve her energy so that she would peak at the right time.

She ought to learn from her several near-misses of late...

1 Like

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by hisexcellency34: 8:51am On Jan 15, 2019
Hope she won't start abusing everybody by the time one small girl deal ruthlessly with her

5 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by EndASUUstrike: 8:52am On Jan 15, 2019
FG should stop Making Empty promises
FG should meet the demands of ASUU/ASUP
FG should grow the Educational Sector
FG should STOP toying with the students future

FG should EndASUUstrike
FG should EndASUUstrike
FG should EndASUUstrike

FG should EndAsupStrike
FG should EndAsupStrike!!

We want it END NOW!!!!!

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by echelons(m): 8:55am On Jan 15, 2019
The sport I love so much.

Sadly DSTV decided this year to restrict Australian Open to Premium subscribers. I've consistently stayed on Compact plus the last 1 year and have enjoyed my Tennis on SS6, but this year's decision to restrict #AustralianOpen to SS2 is heartbreaking.

After this month, I'm so going down to DSTV family bouquet. After all I only watch Channels TV these days.

Sad DsTv subscriber.

6 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by protocolz: 8:57am On Jan 15, 2019
she's got the determination

1 Like

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Jaqenhghar: 8:57am On Jan 15, 2019
post=74776533:

Strong African Woman!
If she was in Africa she wont achieve a fraction of what she has. She will be a sex object
Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 15, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Hope she won't start abusing everybody by the time one small girl deal ruthlessly with her

The thing pain her ehn....she con dey rumble like thunder

1 Like

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by erico2k2(m): 9:03am On Jan 15, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

If she was in Africa she wont achieve a fraction of what she has. She will be a sex object
Enough with this ethical correctness. We know what he meant when he said strong African Woman. angry

8 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Allylic(f): 9:07am On Jan 15, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

there are many African women achieving strong feat in their respective country. The fact that some ladies decided to be a sex object doesn't mean all of us are sex objects..I am an African woman living in Africa and successful in my chosen career..I am not a sex object,I refuse to be one.
You guys should stop generalizing things..
Thank you

12 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 15, 2019
hisexcellency34:

It's a shame that you will use this same racist cartoon that was roundly condemned when it was first published. And I believe you are an African too.

10 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Jaqenhghar: 9:12am On Jan 15, 2019
Allylic:
there are many African women achieving strong feat in their respective country. The fact that some ladies decided to be a sex object doesn't mean all of us are sex objects..I am an African woman living in Africa and successful in my chosen career..I am not a sex object,I refuse to be one.
Thank you
Name one african tennis star

1 Like

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 15, 2019
You just have to love this beautiful African, highly melanized woman. Her drive for success is refreshing.

8 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Nobody: 9:16am On Jan 15, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

Are all women in Africa sex objects? I guess it feels good to run down your own race. Where do you think women are sexually objectified the most, America or Africa?

6 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 15, 2019
adewale123344:
serena is the best female tennis player ever

I concur.

1 Like

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Rextizz(m): 9:29am On Jan 15, 2019
Allylic:
Thank you
90% of you young girls are the same
Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by ignant: 9:30am On Jan 15, 2019
When excellence in sports is done by a negro, it's always due to "power and athleticism", never about skill.

Pathetic filths.

8 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Greenhero(m): 9:34am On Jan 15, 2019
Nice one Serena

1 Like

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by nnamdiokafor23: 9:35am On Jan 15, 2019
she is LEGEND

1 Like

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Greenhero(m): 9:39am On Jan 15, 2019
5thElement:

It's a shame that you will use this same racist cartoon that was roundly condemned when it was first published. And I believe you are an African too.

Oga, What is racist about it? Didn't Serena pull that sh!t?? Stop pulling the racist card everywhere. ... what is bad is bad!
Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by NessaBoo(f): 9:47am On Jan 15, 2019
She's going to be the Greatest soon when she finally surpasses Margaret Court. Serena is just a phenomenal athlete! kiss

1 Like

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by NessaBoo(f): 9:48am On Jan 15, 2019
Greenhero:

Oga, What is racist about it? Didn't Serena pull that sh!t?? Stop pulling the racist card everywhere. ... what is bad is bad!

Can't draw the line if it was sexist or racist, i know she lost her cool in that match with Osaka, because she felt she was wronged by the Umpire which isn't a new thing, but many other ATP stars like krygios, and Nadal have done worse and satiral pictures weren't made to mock them.

8 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by legba1(m): 9:54am On Jan 15, 2019
nnamdiokafor23:
she is LEGEND

You cant be more right brother....she is indeed a lengend and i wont agree with the dude using that RASCIST cartoon picture to insult her...she had done enough to earn are place in the hall of fame snd so one singular incidence cant define her...its a pity a black fellow will cast such aspersion on a fellow melanin lady

the whites has successfully condition our minds the way it is...

8 Likes

Re: Tennis: Ruthless Serena makes strong start in Melbourne return by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 15, 2019
Greenhero:

That's right. Stereotyping African women as large, protuding butts, swollen lips, unsightly ugly species isn't racist at all. Even the other opponent was portrayed as a skinny European woman when the lady she was in court with that day was also on the thick side and a Japanese heritage too.

I'm sure you're one of those who grin from ear to ear when a white person greets them or yabs them.

Go and Google that cartoon and see the flak that came down on the head of the journalist who drew it, even from Caucasians themselves. But here we have Africans who are into self deprecation because the whites are always right.

You think she was the first person to throw a tantrum on the courts?

10 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coach Yemi Tella Is Dead!!! / NPFL Goes Back To 38-match Format As New Season Begin September 20 / Rivers Angels Drawn In Group B In First Ever African Women's Champions League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.