Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:35 AM

Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal (14053 Views)

Men And Church Weddings / A Nairalander's Traditional & Church Wedding / Registry Marriage License And Church/white Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by ONWARDBABA: 5:01pm On Aug 13, 2010
I HAVE BEEN WONDERING WHY SOME PEOPLE GO INTO WEDDING JUST BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SHOW WHAT THEY ARE MADE OF . APPARENTLY WEDDING CEREMONIES ARE FOR TWO COUPLES TO COME TOGEGTHER
PLZ WHICH CAN WE ESCAPE FROM OR LEAVE TO DO
IS IT TRADITIONAL WHERE YOU PAY UR BRIDE PRICE AND YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS PRAY FOR YOU AND HANDLE OVER TO UR NEW FAMILY
OR CHURCH WHERE THE PASTOR TAKE ALL THE GLORY AND GIVE IT TO GOD THOUGH
BUT NO BRIDE PRICE COLLECTED

WHICH IS LEGAL AND WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT TRADITIONAL OR CHURCH WEDDING I REALY LOVE TO KNOW
WHICH SAYS SHE IS NOW MY WIFE
CAN I DO ONE AND LEAVE THE REST

PLZ SEND UR VIEWWS
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by googles: 5:20pm On Aug 13, 2010
they all have their own significance. . . . .but anything legal is bound by the laws of that land so a legal marriage is wen a court certifies you

pple as a couple. the church on the other hand is the holy marimony which means you guys are joined spiritually in accordance to your faith

while trado wedding signifies the joining of the two families in the cultural and traditional way.

i personally prefer the legal marriage sha

1 Like

Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by invisible2(m): 11:25am On Aug 17, 2010
Can anyone link the white weddings and court weddings to the high divorce rate we have now? In the days our ancestors, there were no divorce. Also I think white weddings are supported by girls, they have to show the world that their husbands are richhhhh! And others will want to emulate the waste, some go poor after the wedding and fights burst out when the new wife is denied money because the man has to pay the money he borrowed to wed.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by shanda(m): 4:08pm On Aug 17, 2010
Non of the two.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by mutter(f): 12:57am On Aug 19, 2010
A church wedding has no legal backing at all. It is the registry wedding that is "legal". Many big churches have this combined.
Hence a customary wedding is more legal than a church wedding.
Registry and customary are the same.
However if you have a registry marriage, any other marriage is null and void.
This is a dead law in Nigeria, because most men do it and the constitution does not discriminate against illegitimate children.
Nigeria need to amend this law because it has no effect.
This combination of registry and customary marriage.

1 Like

Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 19, 2010
The traditional is more legal than the church.Since u r a christian, u can as well invite ur pastors to come around and pray for u during the traditional wedding.It is not necessary that u must go to church.It is even the one bible recognise.The registry is just for the legality (law) sake.

1 Like

Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by giftsong: 4:31pm On Aug 20, 2010
There are two types of marriages recognised by our laws:

1. Marriage under the Act (popularly called Registry marriage)
2. Customary marriage

In the eyes of the law, church marriages do not have any legal basis. The exception is where the church
has been granted permission to conduct marriages under the Act. You have to confirm from your priest/pastor as
it is not every church that is permitted. i.e, even though the Catholic church is recognised, it is not a blanket
recognition given to every catholic church, some parishes may not be recognised. Pls ask.

If the church is not licensed, what you are doing then becomes a mere celebration of the customary marriage.
that is why they always ask you in the church if you have performed all the requirements of the customary marriage
like bride price and so on.

customary marriage is very legal and you do not have to marry under the Act. However, this type of
marriage is subject to tradition which permits polygamy and other cultural practices. Registry marriage does not.

I advise women to insist on registry marriage as this gives her more protection in the event of divorce or death.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by giftsong: 4:40pm On Aug 20, 2010
so no divorce in the days of our ancestors? really? let me also list a few things that were not there in the days of our ancestors:

1. internet
2. telephones
3. automobiles

list of things that were accepted then

1. buying and selling people off as slaves
2. killing twins
3. beating up your wife
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by polosco(m): 12:33am On Aug 25, 2010
The starting point is to get the blessing of the families, specially the wife's. Then you can go for any other one you choose or quite simply start your family, but it will be good to get the blessing of your pastor if you are a christian, whether in the closet or in the public.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by Adim2010: 11:24am On Aug 25, 2010
Traditional Marriage is more legal than church wedding. Because marriage involves two families coming together in agreement to give consent for a couple to live together. Then you pay the |"Bride Price" even the Bible recognizes it.
Thereafter, you can go ahead and call the Nation for a Church wedding.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by JesusloveU: 1:52pm On Aug 30, 2010
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by icare1: 3:15pm On Sep 15, 2010
marriage is between two persons.
a traditional marriage is payment of bride price, so need for the 2 families.
a church marriage and registry are the same does not require the two families.
any of the three is enough.
engagement ceremony is the same as traditional marriage.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by polosco(m): 10:49am On Sep 16, 2010
The foundation for every good marriage is God, and we should ensure that our marriages fall in place to these ideals of God. We should get the consent of the family of the wife, this is the most important factor after God's approval of the union, never bye passĀ  this area, every other area is to show to the world that the two of you are now been joined together, so it all depends on hoe much of the showing you want to do. Check out this my post about God as the foundation of every home http://happyhomeforever..com/2010/07/factors-for-marriage-success-god-as.html

1 Like

Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by otokx(m): 2:17pm On Sep 16, 2010
none
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by tolufaithO(f): 5:54pm On Sep 17, 2010
None, there is nothing like Traditional wedding to some parts of yorubas, we simply call it engagement, but to me I prefer engagement to church wedding or court to church, @least Pastor will be in attendance in any engagement. tongue smiley cool cool
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by Romeo4real(m): 6:45pm On Sep 17, 2010
@Giftsong & Mutter -

There are two types of marriages recognised by our laws
You are both incorrect in this respect. The traditioinal marriage may be legal under customary law, but there has no recognition within the framework of Nigerian Law. In other words, like so many traditional things, there is no specific act in the Nigerian Constitution that specifically legalises a traditional marriage.

1 Like

Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by Loveaflame(m): 10:27pm On Sep 18, 2010
Marriage was ordained by God.When you talk of legality which angle are you referring to.Or should I rephrased it and say
[size=8pt] WHICH ONE IS MORE LEGITIMATE
[/size]

From the Biblical view their is nothing like church marriage.We are conversant with the traditional form of marriage.The white men invented the so-called white wedding that many are really crazy about today.

To be candid with all a marriage is said to be contracted when the father of the lady releases her daughter to a man,ceremony or no ceremony.

Those who lack understanding will disagree with my point but that is the solid truth even from the Bible point of view. The case of Laban releasing his daughter Rebbecca to Abraham's servant for Isaac is a typical case.

Some Christians together with their churches make me laugh when they allow the church wedding to be done more than a week or several weeks after the traditional marriage.And COMMAND such people not to have intimacy until after the church wedding.Where they got that from only God knows.

When such people now copulate they are disciplined for committing the sin of fornication.The truth is that after the father has handed the daughter to you guy you are free to have fun before God it is not a sin.

The truth is this heaven recognizes the traditional or what people call engagement than the ritual jamborees people do in the church of today.As per legalizing it you will do well to add court marriage to it.

1 Like

Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by polosco(m): 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2010
Loveaflame:

The truth is this heaven recognizes the traditional or what people call engagement than the ritual jamborees people do in the church of today.As per legalizing it you will do well to add court marriage to it.
that is the truth, traditional rites as in father and mother handing over their daughter is the main thing for a marriage to be contracted. Simple.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by Moyola(f): 8:16pm On Sep 20, 2010
Traditional Marriage = in d eyz of yur ancestors
Church Marriage = in d eyz of God
Legal Marriage = in d eyz of d constitution of yur country tongue
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by mutter(f): 10:31pm On Sep 21, 2010
Romeo4real
I do not understand your point, why must there be a specific section of the constitution to recognize customary marriage?
That is not what a constitution is for.
Traditional marriage is a legal and recognized form of marriage.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by Romeo4rea1: 12:57pm On Sep 22, 2010
@Mutter -

why must there be a specific section of the constitution to recognize customary marriage?
Because a country's constitution contain all the laws and legal acts that governs it's its citizens, and which they must adhere to. A marriage confers specific legal status to its participants, and any children that result within that marriage. If there is no specific legal act that recognizes a marriage union within a country's laws and constitution, how can the union then be said to be legal?

Traditional marriage is a legal and recognized form of marriage.
Again, to clarify, whilst it may be recognized within the culture, it is not recognized within the confines of the law. No participants in a traditional marriage have any recourse or rights within legal law. You cannot get divorced in a court of law if you had a traditional only marriage, neither do you have any rights to financial support or alimony. The Court/ Civil ceremony is the LEGAL form of marriage.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 22, 2010
Romeo4rea1:

@Mutter -
Because a country's constitution contain all the laws and legal acts that governs it's its citizens, and which they must adhere to. A marriage confers specific legal status to its participants, and any children that result within that marriage. If there is no specific legal act that recognizes a marriage union within a country's laws and constitution, how can the union then be said to be legal?
Again, to clarify, whilst it may be recognized within the culture, it is not recognized within the confines of the law. No participants in a traditional marriage have any recourse or rights within legal law. Y[b]ou cannot get divorced in a court of law if you had a traditional only marriage, neither do you have any rights to financial support or alimony[/b]. The Court/ Civil ceremony is the LEGAL form of marriage.

True

Achurch wedding in this case might be more legal cos I know of people that got divorced and were just married in the church
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by mutter(f): 10:29pm On Sep 22, 2010
Jenny some churches include the statuary marriage its like a registry marriage, when you sign the books after the marriage.
Romeo. A constitution does not contain all laws.
A customary marriage is just as legal as a registry or sharia marriage in Nigeria and is legally recognized.
Any lawyer can confirm this,
Customary law is recognized by our Constitution.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by Romeo4rea1: 5:18pm On Sep 23, 2010
@Mutter -

A constitution does not contain all laws.
It contains ALL the laws that govern any given society, and which members of that society MUST adhere to.

A customary marriage is just as legal as a registry or sharia marriage in Nigeria and is legally recognized.
Erm, No it isnt. Sharia marriage is recognized within Sharia Law, which is turn recognized under various legislative act in Nigerian Federal Law.

Customary law is recognized by our Constitution
OK, Just to make this clear, The Nigerian Constitution accepts and recognizes the existence, but not the legality of Customary Law. I hope this distinction is clear. As such, Nigeria Federal Laws always supersede, and override Customary Laws in any and all situations and circumstances.

I would encourage you to read the - Marriage Act, Chapter 218 (Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990) - [url=http://www.nigeria-law.org/Marriage%20Act.htm] http://www.nigeria-law.org/Marriage%20Act.htm[/url]

@Jenny

A church wedding in this case might be more legal cos I know of people that got divorced and were just married in the church
A church wedding can only be legal if the church premises is licensed to conduct weddings, and/or the officiating minister must also be licensed. This is a requirement under federal/civil laws.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by jamace(m): 7:43pm On Sep 23, 2010
Traditional marriage is first and supreme. Others are formalities done to appease organizations which one belongs.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by ow11(m): 2:27pm On Sep 26, 2010
What we call Church wedding is simply a European Traditional Wedding!

A Pastor can be invited to a Nigerian Traditional Wedding and bless the union if both parties are Christian. God is not colour blind and only honours wedding with white dress and black suits!
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by giftsong: 4:59pm On Sep 28, 2010
Romeo,

your arguments are all over the place. on one hand, you say customary marriage is not recognised,
then you say they are recognised, just not legalised. what do you understand by legalized?
if you think that all the laws of Nigeria are in the constitution, you are very mistaken.
you may wish to inform yourself on the existence of Customary courts in Nigeria
pls see section 240 of the 1999 the Constitution (which you like to refer to so happily)

you also stated the federal laws always supercede and override cust law in all situations and in all circumstances.
you are misinformed. in most cases involving intestacy, land holding, etc. customary law is frequently applied by our courts.
maybe you think customary law and municipal law are mutually exclusive, they are not. as i have shown you, courts do apply customary law

are you are lawyer? stop giving legal advise untill you know what you are talking about pls.
Re: Traditional And Church Wedding Wchich Is More Legal by eddybekp(m): 7:34pm On May 20, 2017
Loveaflame:
Marriage was ordained by God.When you talk of legality which angle are you referring to.Or should I rephrased it and say
[size=8pt] WHICH ONE IS MORE LEGITIMATE
[/size]

From the Biblical view their is nothing like church marriage.We are conversant with the traditional form of marriage.The white men invented the so-called white wedding that many are really crazy about today.

To be candid with all a marriage is said to be contracted when the father of the lady releases her daughter to a man,ceremony or no ceremony.

Those who lack understanding will disagree with my point but that is the solid truth even from the Bible point of view. The case of Laban releasing his daughter Rebbecca to Abraham's servant for Isaac is a typical case.

Some Christians together with their churches make me laugh when they allow the church wedding to be done more than a week or several weeks after the traditional marriage.And COMMAND such people not to have intimacy until after the church wedding.Where they got that from only God knows.

When such people now copulate they are disciplined for committing the sin of fornication.The truth is that after the father has handed the daughter to you guy you are free to have fun before God it is not a sin.

TYPES OF MARRIAGES UNDER NIGERIAN LAW

1. Customary Marriage

2. Statutory Marriage

3. Islamic Marriage

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

He Doesn't Like Sex....wat Do I Do / My Wedding Date Is Fixed, But I Have Just N100,000. / Men And Toilet Etiquette

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.