Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,861 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe (11758 Views)

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / Reply To TB Joshua's Return Of Tithe. / If You Had A Chance To Live In The Biblical Times; Who Would You Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Enigma(m): 10:04pm On Aug 27, 2010
Christians (I cannot speak for prosperity "gospel" people and "tithemongers and fraudsters) know that the Levitical priesthood has been abolished and with it "tithing" has been abolished.

Hebrews 7:5
And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham

Hebrews 7:18, 19
For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. 19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 10:16pm On Aug 27, 2010
In 1st Corinthians 9:14 it says:
those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel "even so" as the priests of the Old Testament lived from their temple service.
And part of how they live is that God gave the tithe to them (Numbers 18:21).
i guess paul didnt know Levitical priesthood was already abolished yet he says AS THE PRIEST of OLD TESTAMENT??
For the Umpteenth time TITHE was BEFORE the Levitical priesthood.
Infact the priesthood that took over the levitical in NT is priesthood of Melchizedech and we know Melchizedec's recieved tithe.
Which further butresses the fact that Tithe and under the Law.
Even the commandments that were under the law, dont we still keep them.
y dont we say, yea, we aint under the law, and just live as we like witout keepin the commandments??

Or some of the blessing God pronounced to his pple in OT we shudt claim them cos we under the law.
We shud just rip off our OT and study only NT.

Y'all shud stop sayin things tha'l bring me back.
Do as thou will. I rest this matter.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Enigma(m): 10:25pm On Aug 27, 2010
DBR:

Do as thou will. I rest this matter.

This is what you should have said/done in the first place instead of poisoning Christian doctrine with falsehood and even fraud (though maybe not your own personal fraud).
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by tommyt(m): 10:59pm On Aug 27, 2010
DBR:

@debosky
those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel "even so" as the priests of the Old Testament lived from their temple service.
And part of how they live is that God gave the tithe to them
[i](Numbers 18:21).[/i

@DPR now you are twisting the bible, you need to go back to you study room and check
who the Levites are, it will help you better if u can use your bible dictonary
The Livetes are different from the Priest, they are church workers who dont have any other business
according to bible.
pls check this and stop this unnecessary argument
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 28, 2010
Tithe came b4 the law, so not canceling it aint cos it was given to jews as LAW.

Circumcision which brought so much disgreement in the early church also preceded the law ,why was it stopped?Dont also forget that offering of burnt offerings was also practised long before moses gave the law to the isrealites.I see that pastors do not preach these ones in their churches because they are not lucrative
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 28, 2010
And part of how they live is that God gave the tithe to them [

1COR 9:13-14

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ. 13Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

So obviously Paul did not receive tithes from anyone
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Zikkyy(m): 10:18pm On Aug 28, 2010
chukwudi44:

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ. 13Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

I also observed that some people are now under the priesthood of mechi grin Na wa grin
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by nuclearboy(m): 12:37am On Aug 29, 2010
Absolutely brilliant questions (and posers) from Debosky! Succint and totally encompassing.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 2:33pm On Aug 29, 2010
Enigma:

This is what you should have said/done in the first place instead of poisoning Christian doctrine with falsehood and even fraud (though maybe not your own personal fraud).

Is this ur response to ALL that i'v said.
U pick just a closin phrase of do as u will out of ALL i'v written?? Hehehe. .says alot bout ur intention.
And pls dont just throw tantrums wit labellin me.
SHOW how i'v poisoned a doctrine.
Funny u didnt feel u shud say the same bout one of ur guys who lied that jesus neva spoke bout Tithin.
And from the onset, i'v said tithe is not sth u MUST do, go back and check e'rthin i'v writen and dont just jump on ma closin remark.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 2:44pm On Aug 29, 2010
@tommyT
i said:
@debosky
And part of how they live is that God gave the tithe to them [i](Numbers 18:21).[/i
and u rply with this??

@D[b]P[/b]R[b] now you are twisting the bible[/b], you need to go back to you study room and check
who the Levites are, it will help you better if u can use your bible dictonary
The Livetes are different from the Priest, they are church workers who dont have any other business
according to bible.
pls check this and stop this unnecessary argument

U pple think u can whip up sentiments by callin names, fraud, scam, now me twisting the bible. . .wat a laff.
Pls show where i'v twisted and not just blab that im twistin the bible.
Who said Priest and Levites are the same?? Culd ur lack understading of a particular be
teh reason u think im twistin' it?. To achieve wat?

So u do not kno that the Levite in turn pay tithe to the priest?? Goodness me!
Y cant u jus ttake time to study rather than be quick to say im twistin' the bible
cos im sayin thing u neva came accross, or u ignorin just to push ur line of tot?
I do not see the relevance of ur post on this one. . sorrwwyy.
And it's D[b]B[/b]R not P, ok.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 2:52pm On Aug 29, 2010
@Chukwudi44

i said:
Tithe came b4 the law, so not canceling it aint cos it was given to jews as LAW.

U replied wit:

Circumcision which brought so much disgreement in the early  church also preceded the law ,why was it stopped?Dont also forget that offering of burnt offerings was also practised long before moses gave the law to the isrealites.I see that pastors do not preach these ones  in their churches because they are not lucrative
So are u rebuttin the fact that Tithe came before the Law??
Common sense will tell us that it's not E"RTHING that came b4 the law that was stopped.
But those that were adumbrations of things to come and later fulfilled in NT.

And yea burnt offering was sooooooooooooooo lucrative. . back them, even the priest made a kill from it.
guess u didnt study your bible well enuff.
Most y'all just speak of things u kno not of.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2010

Maybe he didnt at corinth, .as at when he wrote this letter. Maybe he didnt at all either.
Remember u quoted this not me, ok.
Now, go read again; if u r using this verse to refer to that fact that he didnt collect tithe,
and u use bold text on that part of text u highlighted for emphasy.
Remember same text says they have the RIGHT to, but he didnt use that right.

U quoted it, not me.

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 3:16pm On Aug 29, 2010
See, guys. Debosky has posted some tots, i'v tried to share ma tots on his tots.
That aside, why dyu think i'l take this position?
Im not a pastor, I dont have a church, i dont plan to, none of ma relatives own a church.
Ma dad is late, i have a widow mom{good enuff reason to be on the dont-pay-tithe wagon}
But, wat the word says it says.

Anythin u do wit God is by faith, i dont pay tithe or offering to any pastor, i pay it to God.
The pastor can do waeva he wants wit it, ma transaction is with God, and since i have that
understandin, it's been workin well for me.
Tithe is a worship to God, it's acknowledgin God's ownership, and that He is the blesser.
He says to TEST him if i do it, if he'l not open the window of blessin'. . .

I know the flesh wuld be like , wow . . all these pastors are just livin in abundance. .
buildiin edifices. . private jets. . while there are poor pple around yada yada yada. . .lol
I'v been there b4. .trust me. I can tell u it's pure flesh.
Same with the disciples that wanted to stop d lady from usin alabastre to wash jesus' feet. .sayin she's wasteful
they culd use the money to help the poor. . .

These is ma belief, based on the provision in the scripture.
It is not a law, it's not sth that u MUST do. . just like many things like fast or pray et al.
But it's not a fraud, scam and all d names y'all been calli pastor and churches because of it.
There are far more weightier matter that tithe .

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by SUKKIE(m): 5:41pm On Aug 29, 2010
@DBR

I salute ur faith to say the least .I try hard to adhere to God's tenets on tithe but I struggle real hard solely because of d way some Pastor's mis-appropriate funds n what not. I prefer to give d little I ve to d needy,dis gives me a great deal of joy. I know it's d flesh as u rightly stated.Well,at the end of the day a full time Pastor with 4/5 mortages leaves so many unanswered questions while that ur tithe can sponsor xyz children coping with everyday challenges.However,we need to harken unto God here nt man but really tithe works wonders thou.God dey!
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 30, 2010
So are u rebuttin the fact that Tithe came before the Law??
Common sense will tell us that it's not E"RTHING that came b4 the law that was stopped.
But those that were adumbrations of things to come and later fulfilled in NT.

So we now make use of our common sense instead of the scriptures abi?

[b]Maybe he didnt at corinth, .as at when he wrote this letter.[/b] Maybe he didnt at all either.
Remember u quoted this not me, ok.

he didn't at corinth abi , we will also find out from the scriptutres that he dnot collect tithes from the Thesalonians,Ephesians , you mean to tell me that these are just coincidences.

2 Thessalonians 3:7-10 (New American Standard Bible)

i] 7For you yourselves know how you ought to (A)follow our example, because we did not act in an undisciplined manner among you,

8nor did we (B)eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with (C)labor and hardship we kept (D)working night and day so that we would not be a burden to any of you;

9not because we do not have (E)the right to this, but in order to offer ourselves (F)as a model for you, so that you would follow our example. [/i]

1 Thessalonians 2:9-12 (New American Standard Bible)

9For you recall, brethren, our (A)labor and hardship, how (B)working night and day so as not to be a (C)burden to any of you, we proclaimed to you the (D)gospel of God.

10You are witnesses, and so is (E)God, (F)how devoutly and uprightly and blamelessly we behaved toward you believers;

11just as you know how we were (G)exhorting and encouraging and (H)imploring each one of you as (I)a father would his own children,

12so that you would (J)walk in a manner worthy of the God who (K)calls you into His own kingdom and (L)glory

10For even (G)when we were with you, we used to give you this order: (H)if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either

Acts 20:33-35 (New American Standard Bible)

33"(A)I have coveted no one's silver or gold or clothes.

34"You yourselves know that (B)these hands ministered to my own needs and to the (C)men who were with me.

35"In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 30, 2010
Why on earth do you think Paul was making tenths when he had so many churches to pay tithe to him.It is amazing to note that Paul who fended for himself did more work and converted much more souls than these criminals who collect millions from their impoverished congregation
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by welovegod(m): 5:50pm On Aug 30, 2010
When we belong to God, loving Him first, and the people we love also belong to God, then we do not lose them when they die.
The relationship is simply interrupted until we, too, finish our earthly business.

Read More at http://ilovegod1./

Remember, Your Love for God must be Genuine and true.

Remain Blessed

Follow me on http://twitter.com/IsaacSuccessO
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by DBR: 6:00pm On Aug 30, 2010
Chukwudi44
Like . . seriously
dude are u for real??
if u do not get ma points, too bad.
(funny u skipped the  But we did not use this right. part of it.)
your comments on ma points are quite laughable . .
your conclusion on the commonn sense phrase is outrightly absurd. .
apparently u'v not even employed the same common sense. . .lol
And im not even tryin to be funny or rude.

U lucky it aint an excerpt from. . let's say a visa interview,
cos if it was . . u wuld fail woefully. . goodness gracious!

Pls i recommend u enroll in LITERARY COMPREHENSION 101 class.
Im so out of this topic/thread!

oNe
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 31, 2010
Chukwudi44
Like . . seriously
dude are u for real??
if u do not get ma points, too bad.
(funny u skipped the But we did not use this right. part of it.)
your comments on ma points are quite laughable . .
your conclusion on the commonn sense phrase is outrightly absurd. .
apparently u'v not even employed the same

Howon earth is my remark on common sense absurd.If I am to make use of my common sense alone ,the scriptrure makes it clear that both circumcision and tithing existed before moses,why then do you think circumcision was so much an issue in the church of the first century if it was not part of the mosaic law going by your judgement since it existed before the law.

The fact remains that these two even though the had preceded the mosaic law was still included in it was was equally annulled by the death of Jesus on the cross alongside other mosaic laws.

You penterascals still cling tight to the tithe law because it is lucrative.Mind you the tithe paid by Abraham to melchizedek was just once and is in no way similar to the criminality perpetrated in today's modern churches.

if tithe was was that important as you penterascals paint it why would paul choose to ignore the commandment of God by not demanding tithes from his congregation thereby making them to rob God as your criminal pastors say it
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 31, 2010
9not because we do not have (E)the right to this, but in order to offer ourselves (F)as a model for you, so that you would follow our example

from the above quotation you can see that Paul wanted us tom follow his own example.Even pastor agbaje who is a fan of him disagrees with him on this because of greed.
Re: The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe by raphaeladeyele: 5:10am On Aug 14, 2017
Jesu wipe e mu idamewa wa si ile, ki ounje ba lewa nile naa. Idamewa yi ni ounje fun awon Woli to ngb nile Oluwa to ntun ile Oluwa ati ayika re se. Eniti o ba tele imoran tabi oro yi yio di eni ibukun

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts / Adeboye Asks For Inclusion Of Clergy In Mid-east Peace Talks At US Congress / UNBELIEVABLE GOODNEWS!!! Get Any Ebook Into Your Phone Anywhere You Are.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.