Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,380 members, 7,781,068 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:22 AM

12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home (4341 Views)

Uzodimma Iweala, Author Of "Beasts Of No Nation" / There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home by Agibecky: 3:25pm On Aug 16, 2010
Rediscovering a Classic

12 novels by America’s bestselling fiction author of all time find new home at AuthorHouse

“Nobody on the bestseller list writes for money. The people who write for money never make it to the bestseller list,” wrote Tony Parsons in a 2007 Spectator article, adding “Robbins wrote the best books he could, and he wrote them because he had to.”

In his heyday, Harold Robbins was known as the writer who brought the sexy blockbuster paperback to the mainstream and to the screen—more than a dozen of his novels have been adapted for the screen. From the release of his debut novel in 1948 until his death in 1997, Robbins wrote 24 novels that sold more than 750 million copies worldwide.

Though recently out of print, the following Robbins novels have been reissued in hardback, paperback and electronic format: Dreams Die First; Goodbye, Janette; Where Love Has Gone; The Inheritors; The Lonely Lady; The Dream Merchants; Memories of Another Day; Never Love a Stranger; The Adventurers; Descent from Xanadu; Spellbinder; and The Pirate.

The decision to give readers the chance to rediscover Robbins’ classic works came from his widow Jann, who chose AuthorHouse for many reasons.

“I’ve been watching the market for the last three years, and hasn’t publishing changed in those years,” Jann told Publishers Weekly, according to a July 2010 article. “I just saw that the big five [houses]—or however many there are—are great, but they don’t give the support that I think is needed, especially for a classic book to come out and be rediscovered.”

Making Robbins’ novels compatible with modern technology was another reason Jann said she chose AuthorHouse, which includes digital formatting or eBook development with all publishing options.

“I’m an avid reader of eBooks, and Harold would have loved the idea of making his books available digitally,” said Jann Robbins. “His books spoke to all people, and by increasing the ways we can reach readers, I believe we’re carrying on his legacy.”

Re: 12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home by ravenzord(m): 4:20pm On Aug 18, 2010
This is really good news, Harold Robbins is one of my best authors, and he's given me a lotta characters I'll never forget like Janette from 'Goodbye Janette', sexiest female character I've ever come across. Lemme go downloading grin.
Re: 12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home by vescucci(m): 11:25pm On Aug 18, 2010
I skipped through one of his books years back and it struck me as some kind of erotica. I was a good boy back then and never read it. I haven't had another opportunity since.
Re: 12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home by Orikinla(m): 9:20am On Aug 19, 2010
Most of us growing up as teens in the late 1970s and early 80s loved reading Harold Robbins and the other popular novelists of American thrillers.
Harold Robbins' Stiletto was one of the favourite novels I read.

Re: 12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home by MadMax1(f): 8:56am On Aug 24, 2010
I remember Stilletto. There was a scene where he knifes someone underwater in the pool and Robbins describes the action from the victim's POV. Cool. 720 million copies? I read him as a teen but I don't remember he was that good. Sidney Sheldon seemed better.
Re: 12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home by MyJoe: 11:16am On Aug 24, 2010
Interesting. But "America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time"? I read one I can't recall the title about 15 years ago; I think it was about a certain billionnaire called Judd Crane who wanted to live forever. I thoroughly disliked the book and promptly stayed away from Robbins. Maybe if I ever get back to reading best sellers I will give him another try.
Re: 12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home by MadMax1(f): 12:49pm On Aug 24, 2010
You couldn't stand his books 15 years ago and think you'll like them now? Not likely lol. His books are just average. There was the occasional really cool stuff, like the opening in The Carpetbaggers, where some creeps trap a squaw, do unmentionables to her, skin her alive and then make purses from her skin. For a teen, awesome! No way he could sustain that kind of excitement so the book went downhill from there. I read him because I was a teenager then and would read anything, even Mills and Boon when there was no John Le Carre or Desmond Bagley to be had. I'm just as surprised by the American best selling author of all time thingie. He is not that good. Some of his books have a lot of graphic sex scenes, like The Betsy. Could be why they were popular.
Re: 12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home by jantavanta(m): 10:02pm On Nov 26, 2017
As an 80s teen I liked his books as an exposé into the lives of the rich and famous.

I liked The Pirates and The Dream Merchants.

(1) (Reply)

Impregnate Me Or I Die (episode 9) / [teachers Day Dp]™ Happy Teachers Day 2016 Dp, Hd Images, Profile Pic For Fb Cov / If I Were A Girl 18+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.