Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) (114471 Views)

Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR / 2012 Ranking (from Richest To Poorest) For Gross Domestic Product Based On PPP / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Afam4eva(m): 6:51pm On Aug 18, 2010
States like Lagos, Anambra, Abia and Porthacourt all have the potential to be in the top five because of the commercial activities that go on in these states.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Fhemmmy: 6:51pm On Aug 18, 2010
asha 80:

It has more to do with the system of governance in nigeria rather than the whoever is the governor.

Let there be a rule that all states must generate their resources to run the state and no revenue allocation from abuja and see things gradually taking shape.

If there is no money to be handed to them and they have to generate money before they could steal it, the potential of all states will be shown and revealed.
So i totally agree with you on that one
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 18, 2010
Kilode?!:

Yea, Oni and co are messing up, but Cocoa was never an Ekiti thing really, that was Ondo, and they took their Cocoa with them when Ekiti decided to split grin

Interesting, cuz I still see a lot of cocoa farms in ekiti. undecided
see wetin secession causes. . . .Ondo 13, ekiti 33. . . . oti o
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Afam4eva(m): 6:58pm On Aug 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Interesting, cuz I still see a lot of cocoa farms in ekiti. undecided
see wetin secession causes. . . .Ondo 13, ekiti 33. . . . oti o

Are you saying that Ekiti should have been higher than Ondo in the rank?
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 18, 2010
afam4eva:

Are you saying that Ekiti should have been higher than Ondo in the rank?
Did you get that from my post?
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Fhemmmy: 7:03pm On Aug 18, 2010
Kinda nice to see how the states are doing . . .
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by asha80(m): 7:05pm On Aug 18, 2010
Fhemmmy:

If there is no money to be handed to them and they have to generate money before they could steal it, the potential of all states will be shown and revealed.
So i totally agree with you on that one

The psychology behind this is a bit easy you know.The present system of handout from abuja actually encourages people with criminal mind to go into elections for governorship because of the free money from allocations but if the states are made to generate their resources for the running of their states most of these thieves will likely to be discouraged from going for that post.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by EzeUche22(m): 7:07pm On Aug 18, 2010
THE AMAKA:

GOD FORBID!  grin grin grin

We can get closer together! wink

We were once one. Let us join together.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by THEAMAKA(f): 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2010
EzeUche22:

We can get closer together! wink

We were once one. Let us join together.
no thanks, we don't need Abia to rejoin us with ALL her problems.
carry go. tongue grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 18, 2010
Kilode?!:

Yea, Oni and co are messing up, but Cocoa was never an Ekiti thing really, that was Ondo, and they took their Cocoa with them when Ekiti decided to split grin

Is that so? Why do you people like to blab about things you know nothing about? It's o.k if you don't know, just keep quiet, nobody will kill you!!

If cocoa was never an Ekiti thing, then what was the Ekiti thing.
Cocoa was the main cash crop in south western Nigeria, not just Ondo.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by jumobi1(m): 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2010
let's do it per capita and then that list would make more sense.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Fhemmmy: 7:22pm On Aug 18, 2010
asha 80:

The psychology behind this is a bit easy you know.The present system of handout from abuja actually encourages people with criminal mind to go into elections for governorship because of the free money from allocations but if the states are made to generate their resources for the running of their states most of these thieves will likely to be discouraged from going for that post.

That is very true, cos most of them have no idea how to generate money, these are people that some godfather just nominate to be able to report back to them and they just rig their way in, cos there is no brainer needed to be able to collect money and steal some and leave some for people that does nothing still.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Afam4eva(m): 7:24pm On Aug 18, 2010
Why is my state(Enugu) on the 25th position. I think the Enugu government have to harness its coal potential.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Fhemmmy: 7:25pm On Aug 18, 2010
afam4eva:

Why is my state(Enugu) on the 25th position. I think the Enugu government have to harness the coal industry.

Lol . . . i am sure the governor of that state would be able to answer that question
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by becomrich3: 7:53pm On Aug 18, 2010
The richest state in Nigeria is bayelsa and that figure is fake. The per head in bayelsa state is the best in nigeria.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by chiogo(f): 8:04pm On Aug 18, 2010
The funny thing is that majority of the people living in all these states are still poor. Rank or not. grin

But really, Anambra should be wayyy better, c'mon too many great people from that state, Dora, what are you doing? tongue
I can't believe Enugu too.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by tpiah: 8:24pm On Aug 18, 2010
Kilode?!:

Aigbofa:

Is that so? Why do you people like to blab about things you know nothing about? It's o.k if you don't know, just keep quiet, nobody will kill you!!

does it matter?

nobody wants to plant cocoa anymore and the cocoa farms are being replaced by you-know-what anyway. undecided lipsrsealed

Nigeria's cocoa trees are ageing and so are the farmers

Forty years ago a young Nigerian would have taken over his father's cocoa plantation. Now he is more likely to be looking for an oil-related job in the big city

"The cocoa trees are becoming old and so are the farmers," says Akinwale Ojo, a cocoa farmer and executive secretary of the Cocoa Association of Nigeria (CAN).

The chairman of the Cocoa Association, Affun Adegbulu, looked back fondly at the situation thirty years ago when cocoa farmers could build houses, send their children to good schools and eat three square meals a day.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5geVk1DCpAifkFLVbMaPE-UN2W1eQ

"It is unbelievable and ironic that despite being a major cocoa producer and exporter, Nigeria does not produce chocolate."

i agree- quite ironic.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Igwe12: 10:49pm On Aug 18, 2010
Enugu wants to Harness its coal potential but it is capital intensive. They have been begging the Federal government to intervene but the politics of tribalism will not allow our officials to make the prudent decision. What of oji river power station that has layed dormant since it was bombed during the war, a station that supplied the whole of southeast with uninterrupted power in the 60's. Our Federal government is full of inferiors with no real vision for the country and the people. We need better and honest leaders. I think the Enugu state government to should start finding private investors or raise the money themselves, and so should other states that have seen the same treatment. Coal supplies china and the US majority of their electricity and we have high quality coal in our backyard but cannot figure out a way to make it work for the people, What a MESS,
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Kilode1: 12:23am On Aug 19, 2010
Aigbofa:

I understand, this is nairaland you sometimes need to "scream" to be heard.

You people? undecided

Anyway, I was answering this question;
What happened to the cocoa export in ekiti?
See what that naughty person oni turned my state into

I was essentially saying that the creation of Ekiti placed most of the Cocoa production hubs in the new Ondo State -the top cocoa producer in Nigeria.

You can ignore the Ekiti thing, you are right, i'm not really sure about that. Maybe university degrees?

at the end of the day, we do very little with the cocoa, that is the sad part.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by EzeUche22(m): 12:36am On Aug 19, 2010
Igwe-1:

Enugu wants to Harness its coal potential but it is capital intensive. They have been begging the Federal government to intervene but the politics of tribalism will not allow our officials to make the prudent decision. What of oji river power station that has layed dormant since it was bombed during the war, a station that supplied the whole of southeast with uninterrupted power in the 60's. Our Federal government is full of inferiors with no real vision for the country and the people. We need better and honest leaders. I think the Enugu state government to should start finding private investors or raise the money themselves, and so should other states that have seen the same treatment. Coal supplies china and the US majority of their electricity and we have high quality coal in our backyard but cannot figure out a way to make it work for the people, What a MESS,

You have spoken the truth!
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 2:20am On Aug 19, 2010
These figures are very specious. undecided

I know that Anambra AS IS should be at least double what is here. Then, if you add individual financial assets of Anambra folks, this figure becomes ridiculous.

One of my towns guys just concluded a $30 billion investment in downstream petroleum in the whole 6 region of Nigeria. There are other guys like that in my town alone, not to talk of Anambra state.  cool

I also noticed that apart from Lagos, other states are OIL states. Anambra's oil is under "strategic national reserve" (whatever that means undecided). Just putting things in proper perspective.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by koruji(m): 2:36am On Aug 19, 2010
Using Ikengawo's figures and the 2006 population census here is a chart of Population Density & Per Capita Income - the numbers in the chart are population densities. The per capita numbers seem to in the range quoted for Nigeria. Anybody has an idea whether the population density figures are believable?

Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by PapaBrowne(m): 3:28am On Aug 19, 2010
Interesting statistics. Very correct figures.

If you read the figures properly, you would observe some very interesting correlations between GDP figures and social characteristics.

States that have performed excellently in academics over the years tend to have higher GDP figures. For instance, Delta, Imo and Edo states always top the lists in all national exams from Jamb, NCE, University intakes etc. They also produce the highest number of medical doctors. Interestingly, they also contribute the most to national sports.

Delta, Imo and Edo states have the highest per capita GDP in addition to Lagos and Rivers, not because of oil or any natural resource, but because they happen to have the best trained citizens in any part of the country.
Akwa Ibom and Bayelsa produce more oil than Delta state, yet they are way down the list, while Delta State tops the list. Imo and Edo hardly produce any oil.

Delta: $4200
Rivers:$4100
Lagos:$3700
Edo: $3700
Imo: $3600
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Ikengawo: 6:40am On Aug 19, 2010
^i agree 100%.

It's the training of the people and not the resources that make them succeed.
I've come to find that i don't know any undereducated people from Imo state that are here in the US. I know some from other states but not Imo, they're usually either shooting for a masters/phd or already have 1 of the two and are very successful.

Imo people are imo states greatest natural resource.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Beaf: 6:57am On Aug 19, 2010
That graph shows the real thing. Up Delta! Where is that babapupa so I can tell him to go to his village? grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Ikengawo: 7:12am On Aug 19, 2010
stats about kano need to stop being lied about because it his hindering the state as much as the primitive leadership there think it's getting them oil.

Kano is an illusion as it stands. nobody knows if the state has people or money the way they claim but this makes it impossible to plan for it and mobilize its resources for development cause its all a lie.

all the states follow a pretty consistent pattern on the graph until you reach kano so obviously something is wrongly being stated. bayelsa is the only other exception but it has a small population and a lot of oil
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 7:13am On Aug 19, 2010
Not that I care much, but this graph is incongruous.  undecided

Anambra is one of the most educated states in Nigeria, and has two industrial/commercial cities: Onitsha and Nnewi.

Even Awka has some commercial activities too.

There are many tertiary institutions in Anambra as well (there are at least 4 universities).

Education cannot be the criteria here because Nigerian graduates don't have jobs. undecided If education is it, then Anambra must rank among the top. So what is the criteria here then?

One trader controls more money than 10 graduates (who are unemployed by the way).

Nigeria is terrible with statistics.

I know that this graph is still based on OIL income. cool
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 7:17am On Aug 19, 2010
To prove my point finally, look at Imo and Abia. The only thing both states have more than Anambra is OIL.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 7:25am On Aug 19, 2010
In fact, knowing Nigeria well, they simply added up the annual derivation funds (calculated at source-from federation account) and simply divided it by the population of each state.  grin
Naija sef. grin rolling on da floor.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by james1(m): 7:43am On Aug 19, 2010
Since we don't have our proper national data or statistic agency;we have to make do with whatever is printed about us.we can't even cross check!
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Ikengawo: 7:50am On Aug 19, 2010
i didn't know oyo had more oil then Bayelsa then. lipsrsealed undecided
this isn't about oil.

oil is becoming less and less the factor in wealth in nigeria as the private sector is catching up fast.
people that think oil is still the only source of wealth in nigeria haven't been back since 1980 and still think that Tony One Week is whats reigning on the radio lol
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 7:53am On Aug 19, 2010
Ikengawo:

i didn't know oyo had more oil then Bayelsa thenlipsrsealed undecided
this isn't about oil.

oil is becoming less and less the factor in wealth in nigeria as the private sector is catching up fast.
people that think oil is still the only source of wealth in nigeria haven't been back since 1980 and still think that Tony One Week is whats reigning on the radio lol

The Oyo thing is what I call an outlier and truly proves that this chart is ridiculous.

What does Oyo have more than Anambra? Take your shot.

Oil will never lose its prime position in Nigeria. If you really want to measure per capita income, let's have a proper census.
If we have a proper census (complete with state of origin/income), I don't think any state is richer (per capita) than Anambra state in Nigeria.  cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Most Developed State Capitals In Nigeria-opinion / President Buhari's 'Louboutin' Shoes Got People Talking (Photos) / 28+ Funny Photos Of Jonathan Vs Buhari Presidential Battle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.