Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,019 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:34 AM

Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? (1413 Views)

Does Demon Lives In Human Or Follows Human / Do Christians Worship The Human Or Devine Jesus? / Is Satan Really As Bad As Christians Make Him Out To Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2010
Anyone who knows what Satan really is should let me know. if you've seen his face or something? is it real or its a conspiracy set up from religion?
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2010
He is a noun grin
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by vescucci(m): 9:56pm On Aug 19, 2010
He is an embodiment of everything evil and has been blamed for all that goes wrong in the world. Only now is the global financial crises taking away some of that burden of blame. There you go
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by Rhino3dm: 10:46pm On Aug 19, 2010
All of the above. grin
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Aug 19, 2010
^if i catch u.
Ogaga4luv tell us about ur father satan
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by yommyuk: 3:49am On Aug 20, 2010
The Greek word for satan is "satanas" meaning 'Adversary', 'Opponent', 'to resist', 'Oppose', or ' Counteract'
It is also known as the devil. In Greek 'diabolos' meaning 'deciever' , 'divider', or 'accuser'
It is also known as the evil one.

satan can be classified as both spirit being and personal being.

As a spirit being, he can be found in Ephesians 2:2 "You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil, the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God" Whenever you feel like disobeying God or see other people doing what is contrary to the will of God. Then you must recognise that it is satan at work.

As a personal being he can also be found in Luke 4:3,6-7,9-11. He presented himself and spoke to Jesus.

Therefore as christains we have to be aware of his schemes and make sure we do not fall into his traps.
Rev 12:12 is warning us that he has come down into the earth in great anger because HE KNOWS that he has LITTLE TIME.

He tactics is to work in people by dominating, enslaving and blinding their minds. He is the source of all sins. The basis of death.

As christians our response to satan should be the following

1. To recognise the spiritual warfare we have to face with the spiritual enemy. EPH 6:10-18
2. Avoid Idleness. 1 Tim 5:13-15
3. Consistent sexual relationship with our spouses. 1 Corin 7:5
4. Resist him James 4:7
5. Stand firm against him, and be strong in our faith. 1 Peter 5:9

Yes as christians we will surely face many trials and sorrows, Just remember in Jesus Christ find your peace because in him WE HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD(satan). In Christ Jesus, We have won the battle over the evil one. We have defeated satan by the blood of the Lamb and by our testimony. Greater is he that is in us than he that is in the worLd. We have being kept from the evil one. Untouch by the evil one.

Jesus said in Luke 10:18-19 " Yes, I saw satan fall from heaven like lighting. Look, I have given you authority over all power of the enemy and you can walk among snakes and scorpions and crush them. NOTHING WILL INJURE YOU. I will say a big AMEN to that. cheesy
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by Rhino3dm: 6:05am On Aug 20, 2010
^^^ Good one broda. I will bookmarked that for brain washing my friend. Hehehe. . . Just joking.
@toba wetin i do you now? Ki ni mo she?
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by Joagbaje(m): 6:24am On Aug 20, 2010
babaearly:

Anyone who knows what Satan really is should let me know. if you've seen his face or something? is it real or its a conspiracy set up from religion?

Are you referring to experience with Satan , or what the bible says
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by nuclearboy(m): 7:28am On Aug 20, 2010
Babaearly, do you know how "esu" is described in yoruba mythology? He is the wall we stone (the accused in all situations). He is the symphatiser who makes you feel good - when you cry tears over your problems, he cries blood supporting your apathy and encouraging you to continue to wallow in self pity rather than move past the problem/tragedy/mistake. When truth comes, he is the one that helps you find excuses to continue in error. He is also your best friend who informs you that doing your thing is allright - rather than stopping you from going forward, most of the time, he pushes you past where you are wanted (which may have likely been wrong in the first place) to go to.

Now that is traditional religion based. And it says the dude is all of spirit, human (after a manner) and figure of speech.

You find that in Christianity, the definition is more personal. He is an individual that heads a coalition of same minded creatures but this individual is spirit based. The power of the spirit gives him the capability to use physical forms and indeed humans to advance his agenda which is to stand against God.

One of the best ways he does this is from within. But more on this later
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 20, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

@toba wetin i do you now? Ki ni mo she?
o mo nkan to se abi?
I asked u a questn,u refused to answer&u decided to communicate with mazaje in hausa why?
2). Why do u slander God with ur mouth,ur act&through ur posts?
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by Rhino3dm: 8:51am On Aug 20, 2010
^^^ let us keep to the rule of not derailling threads or what do you think? ?.
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by mazaje(m): 8:52am On Aug 20, 2010
Of all the religious myths available, the satan myth is the one that stuns me the most, why is the alleged satan character invisible?. . . . . .Where does he reside? What languge does he speak? Is he every where? Is he presently in the mythical hell or is he roaming around causing havoc as alleged by those that believe in the satan myth?. . . .

According to hebrew mythology satan is an "adversary". He's more like a prosecutor in a trial, with god as the judge.

This is what Robert Ingersoll wrote about Satan's origins:

We obtain our Devil from the Jews, and they got him from Babylon. The Jews cultivated the science of Demonology, and at one time it was believed that there were nine kinds of demons: Beelzebub, prince of the false gods of the other nations; the Pythian Apollo, prince of liars; Belial, prince of mischief makers. Asmodeus, prince of revengeful devils; Satan, prince of witches and magicians; Meresin, prince of aerial devils, who caused thunderstorms and plagues; Abaddon, who caused wars, tumults and combustions; Diabolus, who drives to despair, and Mammon, prince of the tempters. -- Robert Ingersoll

Yahweh was at one time just one god among many Jewish gods, and evolved to be the 'one true god', and it looks like Satan did the same. At one time just one of the several 'chief' demons, now the supreme ruler of the dark side.

Many Christians just blindly accept the hero/villain account without question. But my questions above are meant to uncover the logical problems with such a story.

What are the hero's attributes?

* omniscience
* omnipotent
* omnipresent
* all-good

Right, Christians?

So why not use the super-power of omnipotence to disintegrate Satan into a puff of smoke, gone forever? Why not use the super-power omniscience to foresee failure and not create him? How does the attribute 'all good' gel with allowing the greatest known force of evil to have dominion over your precious creation? (etc etc)
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 20, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

^^^ let us keep to the rule of not derailling threads or what do you think? ?.

No problem, but where do we continue our discussion?
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by icare1: 9:28am On Aug 20, 2010
The same way a dead person becomes invisible when his spirit lives his body so is satan invisible because he is a spirit like wise God.satan is not a personification but a real being likewise angels and demons.

we as human beings cannot see the devil except with our eyes of the spirit except God permits us to see him or he himself permit himself to be seen for those that have sold their soul to him.

The truth is he is better described as all the evil you see today.satan is a spiritbeing not a humanbeing he cannot die but he manifest.
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by mazaje(m): 10:42am On Aug 20, 2010
i care:

The same way a dead person becomes invisible when his spirit lives his body so is satan invisible because he is a spirit like wise God.satan is not a personification but a real being likewise angels and demons

Do you have any evidence for this or are you just spewing ridiculous religious dogma

we as human beings cannot see the devil except with our eyes of the spirit except God permits us to see him or he himself permit himself to be seen for those that have sold their soul to him.

The truth is he is better described as all the evil you see today.satan is a spiritbeing not a humanbeing he cannot die but he manifest.

This person clearly does not know what he/she is talking about. . . . .
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by vescucci(m): 11:10am On Aug 20, 2010
Mazaje. You have valid questions but I can assure you no one can answer you satisfactorily, at least not in the fashion you want.
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 20, 2010
@ mazaje

So why not use the super-power of omnipotence to disintegrate Satan into a puff of smoke, gone forever? Why not use the super-power omniscience to foresee failure and not create him? How does the attribute 'all good' gel with allowing the greatest known force of evil to have dominion over your precious creation? (etc etc)

I've also been asking myself that question. But some of my mates will say there is a purpose why Satan is still alive? why would evil reign when an all-seeing power can just crush it in a minute so man can live in peace that is if Satan really exist?
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by mazaje(m): 5:34pm On Aug 20, 2010
babaearly:

I've also been asking myself that question. But some of my mates will say there is a purpose why Satan is still alive? why would evil reign when an all-seeing power can just crush it in a minute so man can live in peace that is if Satan really exist?

The same question you asked was put forth by my man Robert Ingersoll long time ago. . . . . . .

Those who believe the Scriptures are compelled to say that this Devil was created by God, and that God knew when he created him just what he would do -- the exact measure of his success; knew that he would be a successful rival; knew that he would deceive and corrupt the children of men; knew that, by reason of this Devil, countless millions of human beings would suffer eternal torment in the prison of pain.  And this God also knew when he created the Devil, that he, God, would be compelled to leave his throne, to be born a babe in Palestine, and to suffer a cruel death. All this he knew when he created the Devil. Why did he create him? -- Robert Ingersoll

Satan is just used by the theologists to explain away the problem of evil, take the satan myth away and the story becomes meaningless. . . . .Theists will  always argue that their God's plan is not knowable to us nor is his logic behind such a plan. This gives them an excuse from coming up with any real answers to any of the questions we always ask them. . . . . .They are always good at pushing things to the realm of the unknown even though they are the ones to always make bizarre claims of special knowledge. . . . . . .
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by nuclearboy(m): 6:07pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^^ A very simple answer that can be stretched with a bit of imagination to provide answer to the above

"You are confused because the Bible describes God as an omnipotent and benevolent deity…Omnipotent-benevolent simply means that God is all-powerful and well-meaning.”
I understand the concept. It’s just…there seems to be a contradiction.”
Yes. The contradiction is pain. Man’s starvation, war, sickness…”
Exactly!” Chartrand knew the camerlengo would understand. “Terrible things happen in this world. Human tragedy seems like proof that God could not possibly be both all-powerful and well-meaning. If He loves us and has the power to change our situation, He would prevent our pain, wouldn’t He?”
The Camerlengo frowned. “Would He?”
Chartrand felt uneasy. Had he overstepped his bounds? Was this one of those religious questions you just didn’t ask? “Well…if God loves us, and He can protect us, He would have to. It seems He is either omnipotent and uncaring, or benevolent and powerless to help.”
Do you have children, Lieutenant?”
Chartrand flushed. “No, signore.”
Imagine you had an eight-year-old son…would you love him?”
Of course.”
Would you let him skateboard?”
Chartrand did a double take. The camerlengo always seemed oddly “in touch” for a clergyman. “Yeah, I guess,” Chartrand said. “Sure, I’d let him skateboard, but I’d tell him to be careful.”
So as this child’s father, you would give him some basic, good advice and then let him go off and make his own mistakes?”
I wouldn’t run behind him and mollycoddle him if that’s what you mean.”
But what if he fell and skinned his knee?”
He would learn to be more careful.”
The camerlengo smiled. “So although you have the power to interfere and prevent your child’s pain, you would choose to show your love by letting him learn his own lessons?”
Of course. Pain is part of growing up. It’s how we learn.”
The camerlengo nodded. “Exactly."
                                                                                                                             — Dan Brown (Angels & Demons)
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by mazaje(m): 6:32pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^^^

Am sorry but this does not answer the problem of evil at all, what about natural evil, like natural disasters?. . . . . .How does that help anybody? A parent will always protect his child from a stray bullet or a collapsing building when ever he/she can, no?. . . .
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by mazaje(m): 6:36pm On Aug 20, 2010
My point is the will of God argument with regards to the satan claim is completely pointless, people say satan is part of the will of God, if that is true that the satan hypothesis is part of the will of an omnipotent God, wouldn't it be a foregone conclusion already?. . . . .Satan is just the theist's explanation to say that shit happens in the natural world. . . . . . ,
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by nuclearboy(m): 7:33pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^^ There is, as at today, a natural geological fault under Missouri, USA. It is large/wide/whatever and guaranteed to make Katrina look like a joke if the base shifts. I understand that man would wish to blame God for allowing such a fault but that is a distraction to my purpose here which is that it exists and it is known to exist. Interestingly, man (men) has refused to abandon the city/area for safety. Now this is not a matter of conjecture but fact. There is going to be a tremor. What science does not know is when!

Why does educated man in the supposedly most advanced and informed society on earth, refuse to protect himself?

That is what I defined as satan earlier. There is the personality but as we say in yoruba, "it is after you're in the cage that you see satan at work" infering that we ascribe more to that name than is right. Evil is real, mazaje and we both know it. Some things are so horrific you wonder if there was not something extraneous at work - at times there is. But man should define truth, accept his limitations and take responsibility. Only when we find nothing and I mean that, NOTHING we can do is able to solve the problem, should we bring theories of the spiritual into the mix and seek solutions outside of our capabilities. thats why we were told to subdue the earth.

I expect much of our problems would be solved were we to approach them this way and God would not be the butt of "ridicule".
Re: Is Satan A Spirit, Human Or Figure Of Speech? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:17pm On Aug 20, 2010
I believe God was so frustrated when he said and I quote
Genesis 6:5-6 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Whether we choose to blame the devil for evil or God for letting it go on, we cannot escape the bland truth, We are Evil Through and Through

(1) (Reply)

If It's All Lies - How Come Witches Tremble? / For Catholics: I Worship Mary!!! / Official Response From NIV Publishers Regarding Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.