Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,110 members, 7,779,928 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:58 AM

Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene (1803 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: Okorocha Appeals To Buhari To Intervene / Imo Tribunal: Okorocha Begs Traditional Rulers To Intervene / PDP Raises Alarm Over Fresh Plot To Remove Fayose; Begs Buhari To Intervene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 19, 2010
[size=28pt]Female Evangelist brutalized by cop, wants Akpoyibo, Fashola to intervene
[/size]

Saturday, July 24, was a day Evangelist Peace Okonkwo (not that of TREM) will not forget in a hurry. It was a day she was allegedly beaten black and blue by a policeman at Ago area of Lagos metropolis.

Peace Okonkwo

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2010/aug/19/sun/Peace-Okonkwo-1[1].gif[/img]

The policeman did not allegedly stop at beating her up, he also stripped her unclothed. The victim, who spoke to Daily Sun in her residence at the Oke Afa area of Ejigbo, Lagos, alleged that she escaped death by the whiskers in the hands of the overzealous cop.

She also alleged that after torturing her, she was arrested and detained for several hours before she was granted bail in the sum of N7,500.

She narrated how she went to the market on that day to buy some foodstuffs before she got into trouble with the cop. She explained that on her way back from the market, she visited one of her friends who lives at Ago. She drove through Ali Dada Street, down to the area where the policeman was controlling traffic.

According to her, she was flagged down by the policeman, where she waited for over 20 minutes without being asked to go.

“The policeman asked motorists from other sides to go, abandoning people on our lane. So, I registered my displeasure on how the policeman ignoreded me. Rather than ask me to go, he threatened to deal with me, if I attempted to go,” she said.

She said as a servant of God, she decided to be patient. “But, as another 20 minutes passed by, and the police did not ask me to go, I drove close to the policeman, protesting the way he ignored me.”

She said rather than apologizing to her, the policeman rushed towards her and attempted to seize her car key, which she resisted.

According to Mrs. Okonkwo, following the resistance, the policeman started beating her.[b] “The policeman was beating and abusing me. He dragged me out of my car and stripped me unclothed. I was asking him what my offence was. He told me he would make sure I go to jai,,d that when she was taken to the police station, all the officers and men on duty, including women, took side with the colleague. “I thought the other policemen on the Human Rights desk would intervene, but they started pushing and kicking me. They ended up detaining me for over nine hours,” [/b]she alleged.

She explained that some of her friends, who witnessed when she was being humiliated, alerted her husband’s brother, who came to the police station. The woman, who wept as she narrated her ordeals said when her brother-in-law arrived at the police station, he was taken to a senior officer, who claimed to be the Divisional Police Officer (DPO). “But I doubt if he was the DPO, judging by the way he brazenly demanded that I must be granted bail in the sum of N10,000.

She revealed how his brother-in-law bargained with the officer, who took N7,000, before she was released.

According to her, as she was leaving the counter, other policemen collected N500 from her, before her car key was released. The mother of four also claimed that she lost her wristwatch, a necklace, while the fish and meat she bought to prepare soup and stew rot.

Meanwhile, the victim has appealed to Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) and the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Marvel Akpoyibo, to wade into the matter, to see that the policeman who brutalized her and the officer who collected her N7,000 are fished out and punished accordingly.

She said: “As an evangelist, I have forgiven them but I want them to be punished to act as a deterrent to others. I was stripped unclothed in the full glare of the public. It is an abomination. This matter must not be swept under the carpet,” she said.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/aug/19/506.html
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 19, 2010
Something needs to be done about this useless vagabonds.

This is fast becoming an uncivilized country. Human Rights police ko
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 19, 2010
Thank God she was not shot
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by DisGuy: 8:00pm On Aug 19, 2010
Fashola to intervene? she must be having a lafffff

LASTMA that are under Fashola, how many times has he criticised them ?
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by googles: 8:09pm On Aug 19, 2010
how can they do that to a lady ?? its so unfair

and to think this matter will be swept under the carpet in a matter of days. . . pity
sad
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 19, 2010
she should thank God ,many innocent people have being shot dead
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 5:49am On Aug 20, 2010
olas2u:

she should thank God ,many innocent people have being shot dead

I think Nigerians should start fighting back against the police. They are showing themselves to be enemies of the people, not friends!!

Extortion

Extra judicial killings

Assaults.

Intimidation ( they sometimes casually point their guns at you while talking to you!!!!)

Harassment ( Forceful arrests of innocet people who are just going about their businesses)

I seriuosly think it's about time Nigerians start to demand they be treated like human beings.
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by OAM4J: 6:02am On Aug 20, 2010
Aigbofa:

I think Nigerians should start fighting back against the police. They are showing themselves to be enemies of the people, not friends!!

Extortion

Extra judicial murders

Assaults.

Intimidation ( they sometimes casually point their guns at you ) while talking to you!!!!

Harassment ( Forceful arrests of innocet people who are just going about their businesses)

I seriuosly think it's about time Nigerians start to demand they be treated like human beings.

How can Nigerians fight back?
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 6:04am On Aug 20, 2010
OAM4J:

Protesting sure aint gonna do. . . .

Fire for fire?
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by princekevo(m): 6:21am On Aug 20, 2010
The problem with Nigerian police is Illiteracy. Basically those dumbs who failed junior or senior waec have no option but to join the police training. After few months they are being giving a uniform without the understanding what human right means.

Woman next time dont argue with the police becoz is as same as arguing with a robber, unless you children are ready to become compulsory orphans
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 7:25am On Aug 20, 2010
OAM4J:

Civil disobedience, protests, violence, whatever it takes to make them realize Nigerians are fed up with their crass ineptitude.
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 20, 2010
princekevo:

The problem with Nigerian police is Illiteracy. Basically those dumbs who failed junior or senior waec have no option but to join the police training. After few months they are being giving a uniform without the understanding what human right means.

Woman next time dont argue with the police becoz is as same as arguing with a robber, unless you children are ready to become compulsory orphans

You're quite right. The NPF has become a haven for that class of people who are otherwise useless to the society, the never-do-wells, the wastrels.
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by OAM4J: 8:39am On Aug 20, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Protesting sure aint gonna do. . . .

Fire for fire?
Aigbofa:

Civil disobedience, protests, violence, whatever it takes to make them realize Nigerians are fed up with their crass ineptitude.

those suggestions are invitation for more wahala.

Nigerian police are not that civilized, they will kill those protestants and disappear (becomes case of unknown killers) and if they are found they simply call it case of 'accidental discharge'
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by houvest: 11:54am On Aug 20, 2010
As much as the Nigerian police are crude, the Press appears cruder. How can a journalist publish such a story without making any effort to get the views of the other party. Only a balanced report can provide readers with enough ammunition to make an informed judgement. If however the lady's account is perfectly true, methinks she should sue the Nigerian Police to court. Not just for vengeance but to protect others by discouraging such acts.
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 11:58am On Aug 20, 2010
houvest:

As much as the Nigerian police are crude, the Press appears cruder. How can a journalist publish such a story without making any effort to get the views of the other party. Only a balanced report can provide readers with enough ammunition to make an informed judgement. If however the lady's account is perfectly true, methinks he should sue the Nigerian Police to court. Not just for vengeance but to protect others by discouraging such acts.
You be jjc confirm,sue Nigerian police ??Are a Nigerian?Do you live in Nigeria?Have you lived in Nigeria?Mugun you will not even live to recieve judgement.
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by ud4u: 12:41pm On Aug 20, 2010
These Nigeria police men need serious caution, when will this humiliation stop?
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by houvest: 1:33pm On Aug 20, 2010
olas2u:

You be jjc confirm,sue Nigerian police ??Are a Nigerian?Do you live in Nigeria?Have you lived in Nigeria?Mugun you will not even live to recieve judgement.
I am sure you are the one that are estranged from events in Nigeria. Do you have a lawyer friend? Ask him how many cases are in court against the Nigerian Police on enforcement of fundamental human rights alone. Also ask him how many nigerians have gotten judgements against the NP and while you are at it also find out how many of the plaintiffs died before the judgements were delivered. Nigerians are so scared by imaginary stories that they do not try to test their rights in court and so many of these men in uniform and in government run over them roughshod.
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by RichyBlacK(m): 2:20pm On Aug 20, 2010
houvest:

I am sure you are the one that are estranged from events in Nigeria. Do you have a lawyer friend? Ask him how many cases are in court against the Nigerian Police on enforcement of fundamental human rights alone. Also ask him how many nigerians have gotten judgements against the NP and while you are at it also find out how many of the plaintiffs died before the judgements were delivered. Nigerians are so scared by imaginary stories that they do not try to test their rights in court and so many of these men in uniform and in government run over them roughshod.

SOLID input. Thanks!
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2010
princekevo:

You can imagine a constable who was recruited with 3 credits plus F9 in English language being assigned with ak 47 rifle,now tell me how there won't be accidental discharge
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by philip0906(m): 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2010
Part of my new year resolution was-Never 2 have a brush with those men in blacks(i dread them) and never 2 be granted "free accomodation" in their "house"(cell),and God has been faithful 2 my request. . .
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by EzeUche22(m): 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2010
The only way these Nigerian police will realize the ppl are not playing is if we fight fire with fire. You shoot at me, I shall shoot at you.

Do you hear about this police brutality in the North? No. Because the people are armed!
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by violent(m): 2:48pm On Aug 20, 2010
EzeUche22:

The only way these Nigerian police will realize the ppl are not playing is if we fight fire with fire. You shoot at me, I shall shoot at you.

Do you hear about this police brutality in the North? No. Because the people are armed!

you think it is a case of "i slap you, you slap me"

if someone shoots at you, he's definitely denying you an opportunity to shoot back at him

dead people tell no tales!
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Dawgpound: 2:50pm On Aug 20, 2010
Nigerians in general are just complete cowards. Incapable of fighting back even at full-faced assault. These fools know how to slaughter eachother over BS but can't even fight back when physically abused by police men. If they can rally eachother to go after folks based on their race, class, or whatever background then I see no reason why they can't rally folks to attack the popoz. The few times I visited that Godforsaken country I kept my gun well hidden in my car ready to fill a nigga's head with bullets if I got put to da test. I have gotten into an altercation with a Nigerian sergeant and me and my cousins had the upper hand. When we got done we left their assess by the road with no guns, broken arms and shyt and just sped off. We straight beat da shyt out da police. Don't understand all the Igbo n this song but shyt thats my attitude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pCF_FRezbk cool
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by EzeUche22(m): 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2010
violent:

you think it is a case of "i slap you, you slap me"

if someone shoots at you, he's definitely denying you an opportunity to shoot back at him

dead people tell no tales!

Knowing the police in Nigeria, I'll rather shoot first . Well I never have problems with those checkpoints though due to the tags on our cars, but still. . .
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 20, 2010
EzeUche22:

Knowing the police in Nigeria, I'll rather shoot first . Well I never have problems with those checkpoints though due to the tags on our cars, but still. . .
what tag could that be ?
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 20, 2010
RichyBlacK:

SOLID input. Thanks!

well ,I know they have so many cases against them ,but ask people who take them to court what they face on a daily bases ,i know my right as a Nigerian,so am  not an illiterate to understand that.But let me tell you in the police force they have groups ,cult cacacus and they meet and protect them selves.How do you as an ordinary citizen fight or protect yourself before and after judgement.You are just talking about elite members of the society,what about the ordinary person without money to hire a lawyer.
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by EzeUche22(m): 3:06pm On Aug 20, 2010
~Bluetooth:

what tag could that be ?

FG grin grin grin

They just salute my car.
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 20, 2010
EzeUche22:

FG grin grin grin

They just salute my car.
Which FG ? Sorry for askling
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by RichyBlacK(m): 3:55pm On Aug 20, 2010
Dawgpound:

Nigerians in general are just complete cowards. Incapable of fighting back even at full-faced assault. These fools know how to slaughter eachother over BS but can't even fight back when physically abused by police men. If they can rally eachother to go after folks based on their race, class, or whatever background then I see no reason why they can't rally folks to attack the popoz. The few times I visited that Godforsaken country I kept my gun well hidden in my car ready to fill a nigga's head with bullets if I got put to da test. I have gotten into an altercation with a Nigerian sergeant and me and my cousins had the upper hand. When we got done we left their assess by the road with no guns, broken arms and shyt and just sped off. We straight beat da shyt out da police. Don't understand all the Igbo n this song but shyt thats my attitude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pCF_FRezbk cool

@Dawgpound, thanks for the YouTube link. Nice track!
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Dawgpound: 4:17pm On Aug 20, 2010
RichyBlacK:

@Dawgpound, thanks for the YouTube link. Nice track!

Fasho! cool
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by houvest: 11:27pm On Aug 20, 2010
RichyBlacK:

SOLID input. Thanks!

Thanks Richy.
Re: Female Evangelist Brutalized By Cop, Wants Akpoyibo, Fashola To Intervene by Pukkah: 5:24pm On Aug 22, 2010
googles:

how can they do that to a lady ?? its so unfair

and to think this matter will be swept under the carpet in a matter of days. . . pity
sad

It has already been swept away into the lagoon! Sad. sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Commences Online Digital Campaign / Whats Happening With Ibori? / Nigerians Must See The Consequences Of What They've Voted For Says Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.