Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) - Culture (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (131412 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 12:15am On Sep 19, 2012
Afam, why are you still arguing?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 12:39am On Sep 19, 2012
ChinenyeN: Afam, why are you still arguing?

Osu AMA PICKIN, read the fact about the Ikweres and stop claiming them. Claim your self and big up your self and leave other people alone.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 12:48am On Sep 19, 2012
You call yourself "Kalabari" and a student of Kalabari history, yet you do not know the difference between Ngwa and Isoma.
I will not waste my time on you.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 1:15am On Sep 19, 2012
SO FAR SO GOOD! I BELIEVE WE HAVE EDUCATED OUR IGBO FOLKS HERE ABOUT IJAWLAND EVEN IF IT IS HARD FOR THEM TO SWALLOW. THE POINT IS WHATEVER WE 'RE ARGUING HERE WONT STOP IJAWS AT HEART FROM BEING IJAWS. TRUE NATIONALISM IS A THING OF THE MIND. ALL THESE IJAW CLANS YOU GUYS ARE CONTESTING ABOUT ARE ALL MEMBERS OF IJAW NATIONAL CONGRESS, THEY WERENT HYPNOTIZED INTO JOINING, NEITHER WERE THEY CONVINCED. THEY ARE ALL MEMBERS OF THE BODY BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEMSELVES TO BE IJAWS. IF YOU WANNA APPEAL MY VERDICT, TAKE IT TO THE SUPREME COURT! CASE CLOSED.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 2:33am On Sep 19, 2012
ChinenyeN: You call yourself "Kalabari" and a student of Kalabari history, yet you do not know the difference between Ngwa and Isoma.
I will not waste my time on you.

May Egbesu eat you raw. What has Ngwa and Isoma got to do with KALABARI ? Our forefathers did not know what Igbo is cos there was nothing like Igbo then. They knew you people as OSU-AMA people that's it.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 2:34am On Sep 19, 2012
ijaw citizen: SO FAR SO GOOD! I BELIEVE WE HAVE EDUCATED OUR IGBO FOLKS HERE ABOUT IJAWLAND EVEN IF IT IS HARD FOR THEM TO SWALLOW. THE POINT IS WHATEVER WE 'RE ARGUING HERE WONT STOP IJAWS AT HEART FROM BEING IJAWS. TRUE NATIONALISM IS A THING OF THE MIND. ALL THESE IJAW CLANS YOU GUYS ARE CONTESTING ABOUT ARE ALL MEMBERS OF IJAW NATIONAL CONGRESS, THEY WERENT HYPNOTIZED INTO JOINING, NEITHER WERE THEY CONVINCED. THEY ARE ALL MEMBERS OF THE BODY BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEMSELVES TO BE IJAWS. IF YOU WANNA APPEAL MY VERDICT, TAKE IT TO THE SUPREME COURT! CASE CLOSED.

They are shameless.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by blessed001: 8:16am On Jul 20, 2013
pls can any one tell me were to get the histry of the origin of akwaihedi in nnewi south LGA. i ve search google bt ound none. pls u can jst give me a brief history of it sir.thanks
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by IGBOSON1: 6:42pm On Jul 22, 2013
ijaw citizen: I'M SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU WITH THAT. BUT I CAN GET YOU MORE CONFUSED BY TELLING YOU THAT THE ANDONNIS ARE ONE OF THE FEW IJAW CLANS WHO CAN TRACE DIRECT ANCESTRY TO OUR COMMON ANCESTOR "IJO" BECAUSE THE FOUNDER OF ANDONNI CLAN "ANDO" IS THE ELDEST SON OF IJO THE COMMON ANCESTOR OF ALL IJAWS & SON OF KING ADUMU AKA ODUDUWA THE BEARER OF THE ANCIENT NUBIAN SPIRITUAL FORCE "ADUM" & "BES" (EGBESU). I GUESS THIS IS TOO COMPLEX FOR UR BRAIN TO ABSORB! ANYWAY, JUST CHECK "IJAW PEOPLE" & "ANDONNI" ON WIKIPEDIA. I WILL SEARCH FOR MORE LINKS LATER. SHALOM!

^^^Hehehehehe grin grin grin

Whoever first spun this yarn must have been high on local gin (ogogoro)......and i daresay, has a very active imagination! wink
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 11:21am On Jul 23, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Hehehehehe grin grin grin

Whoever first spun this yarn must have been high on local gin (ogogoro)......and i daresay, has a very active imagination! wink
Like I said earlier, your incomplete brain sets (flat head) can never comprehend this.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 11:32am On Jul 23, 2013
blessed001: pls can any one tell me were to get the histry of the origin of akwaihedi in nnewi south LGA. i ve search google bt ound none. pls u can jst give me a brief history of it sir.thanks

I think Akwa-Ihedi belongs to Orsu group of Igbos found in South Nnewi, Ihiala and Orlu area of Imo State. Such places as Orsumoghu, Osumenyi, Ezinifite, Awo-Idemili, Ihitenansa, Azia etc are their brothers.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Mobile11: 6:21am On Dec 29, 2013
Ijaw may claim and invade igboland
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 10:58am On Jan 02, 2015
Dede1:
There is Umu-Okirika in Mbaise and it could have been the original migratory point of cross section of people in the present-day Okirika. My source informed that the people of Canoe Houses came with Europeans as porters. The majority of the people were drawn from ethnic groups along the Gold Coast.

I actually saw this and coincidentally the name ends with "Ama" suffix as found in Okrika communities in Rivers State but I dare say some of the original names in this area were also such in pattern.

Isuama, Oboama, Umunama etc.

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche(m): 10:28pm On Jun 02, 2017
Time to bring this thread back from the dead

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by maiunguwar: 11:03pm On Jun 02, 2017
Agreed
EzeUche:
Agreed
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 1:32am On Jun 03, 2017
EzeUche:

Lol for why? Abeg.

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 03, 2017
ChinenyeN:

Lol for why? Abeg.
Because it is important for real Igbos.

@EzeUche, a thread of more than 70, 000 views and counting is a huge cultural success; its intrinsic value cannot be easily quantified. By bringing this thread up, many new Nairalanders that didn't know it existed will benefit from this free resource.

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by pazienza(m): 9:56am On Jun 03, 2017
Chai, the good old days.

Where is Chyz?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 4:21pm On Jun 03, 2017
igbodefender:
Because it is important for real Igbos.
Ochi lei!! "For real Igbos". I no be "real Igbo" again? Lol Owhno, lia sii.

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche(m): 2:18pm On Jun 18, 2017
ChinenyeN:

Lol for why? Abeg.

My Ngwa nemisis. You are still around?

Are you ready to admit the greatness of the Aro?

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 1:39pm On Jun 19, 2017
Ochi lei.. Ezeuche, since when have I denied Aro was great? Of course Aro was great, but greatness has its limits naa. Ngwanu, go back and revisit history between Aro and Ngwa so you can refresh your memory, or I could refresh it for you. Hehe.

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AtaniWarrior: 8:25pm On Jun 19, 2017
EzeUche22:
It seems like there is a lot of confusion concerning the true boundaries of Igboland.

Well the map below is an accurate map of Igboland. And this belongs in the Politics sections.

Does Igboland look landlocked? 

Is Igboland to the East of the River Niger?

Does Igboland include parts of Cross River, Rivers and Benue?
1. No, Igboland is not landlocked.
2. Yes, Igboland is in the East and West of the Niger River.
3. Yes, Igboland includes parts of Cross River, Rivers, and Benue states.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Cire80: 8:29pm On Jun 19, 2017
AtaniWarrior:

1. No, Igboland is not landlocked.
2. Yes, Igboland is to the East and West of the Niger River.
3. Yes, Igboland includes parts of Cross River, Rivers and Benue states.
Even IPOB made a disparity between Anioma land and Alaigbo in the documents they released. Anioma was listed as one of the components nations of Biafra alongside other groups
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AtaniWarrior: 8:33pm On Jun 19, 2017
Cire80:
Even IPOB made a disparity between Anioma land and Alaigbo in the documents they released. Anioma was listed as one of the components nations of Biafra alongside other groups
Anioma is apart of Igboland. Western Igboland.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Cire80: 9:29pm On Jun 19, 2017
AtaniWarrior:

Anioma is apart of Igboland. Western Igboland.
go and tell that to IPOB
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AtaniWarrior: 9:36pm On Jun 19, 2017
Cire80:
go and tell that to IPOB
No, I am good lol. I completely disagree with IPOB anyway.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 2:36pm On Jun 20, 2017
Cire80:

IPOB reveals everyday that they do not know what they're doing and they may have actually done more harm than good.

4 Likes

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by williamnow: 11:55pm On Jan 04, 2019
IGBO AND NIGER-DELTA PEOPLE'S HISTORICAL, LINGUISTIC, CULTURAL AND DNA EVIDENCES
AUTHOR: NWAOGU, WILLIAM KELECHI
SOURCE: http://ngwaforumabuja.org/index.php/ndi-ngwa
SOURCE: History of Aba in British archives London.
SOURCE: Orally received, but documented history by my dad, my maternal grand father who was a British high chief.
SOURCE: Interesting Narrative of The Life of Olaudah Equiano (Ola-Ude Ikwuano), The African Slave or Gustavus Vassa.
SOURCE: Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia.
SOURCE: Encyclopedia Britannica - https://www.britannica.com.
SOURCE: https://www.rogerblench.info/PubOP.htm.
OVERVIEW:
These is achieved by linguistic anthropology (comparing of languages or dialects, especially origin of root words); cultural anthropology (study of peoples cultural elements like, music and art); historical anthropology (study of peoples origin from their historical events); scientific anthropology (study of peoples DNA to determine their ancestry), and comparing archeological evidences related to the group.
DNA STUDY: These is very accurate, since it is based on matching similar or shared traits in the genetic codes of individuals or groups. This method has been used by many researchers. In fact many African-Americans have traced their ancestral roots and re-united with their clans by this means. The West African choromatins, who are among DNA haplogroups classification covered in human genome projects. You can trace your ancestry some millennia back based on DNA kits with database of many countries, races, tribes, clans or families. You can trace the migration pattern of your ancestors down to your current location with map that give insight into your ancestry. The best for now is the Ancestry DNA kit at www.ancestry.com.
A complete Ancestry DNA result reveals - your relatives worldwide; identifies your paternal and maternal roots, and shows you the peoples of the world from different regions within countries, but not countries. These DNA kits reveal your degree of relationship to individuals and groups in the database. It has over 20 billion records and over 100 million family trees from many races, tribes, clans and families.
STUDY SCOPE: This work is based on linguistic, historical, scientific (DNA) and cultural evidences, with focus on migration and settlement of more recent southern Igbo tribes.
BACKGROUND OF IGBO SETTLEMENT IN SOUTH-EAST NIGERIA:
Igbos followed southward migration pattern, accounting for why most southern Igbo tribes are more recent than northern Igbo tribes.
Oha Igbo settled at different phases and times as can be reckoned from archeological studies, such as the Igbo-Ukwu bronze evidence -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo-Ukwu. Igbo Ukwu artifacts discovered in 1939 by Isaiah Anozie in Anambra dated to 9th century C.E. Further excavations between 1959-1964 by Thurstan Shaw revealed more than 700 high quality copper, bronze and iron artifacts with 165000 pieces consisting of - glass, carnelian, stone beads, pottery, textiles and ivory. These are oldest bronze artifacts known in West Africa, and were produced before Ife and Benin artifacts. Igbo Ukwu is trace to 300-900 C.E. Discovery of monoliths at Ugwelle Uturu Okigwe dated 4500 B.C. Nsukka metal cultural site dated 3000 B.C. While another attributed to Ngwa culture is dated 18 C.E.
Most Eri clans can be seen at Anambra and Enugu. Nri kingdom was established at Aguleri. Umuleri is the closest to their Nri brothers in Aguleri. Other Eris migrated into Imo which included today's Abia and possibly Ebonyi.
Some Igbos settled in southeast Nigeria earlier, and others later, due to stop overs during their sojourn and other distractions.
Some aboriginal Benue-Congo language group tribes had settled in the southeast of the Niger before arrival of the Igbos. These include - the Bantus who lived in now Igbo occupied South-East Nigeria and Cameroon at approximately between 1000 BC to 1 BCE according to the map shewing Bantu expansion. map.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantu_expansion
PATERNAL IGBO DNA (Y-DNA ADAM's): Igbo type of Y-DNA is seen in Afro-Caribbeans, African-Americans; some Cameroonian populations, Equitorial Guinea, Liberia. Among Liberians is Edward James Roy – 5th Liberian President.
All Africans carry E1B1A haplogroups, which was found in the second Twentieth Dynasty Pharaoh Ramses III and last powerful ruler of the New Kingdom. This shows that the African Y-DNA is dominant. It has been scientifically proven that all the races of the world share common traits, showing that we all share a common ancestry. The difference is that there exist variations as populations continue to grow.
23&me Igbo DNA sample is here: https://tracingafricanroots./category/igbo/
IGBO HAPLOGROUP (E1B1A): A Wikipedia source “Y-DNA haplogroups in populations of Sub-Sahara Africa” shows Y-DNA results below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_in_populations_of_Sub-Saharan_Africa
Haplogroup A: ‘A’ is human Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup to all known patrilineal lineages. Y-chromosomal Adam is found predominantly in African populations. Haplogroup BT (clade II-IX) participated in out of Africa migrations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_A (Y-DNA)
Haplogroup B (B-M60): ‘B ‘is Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup to common patrilineal lineages in Africa.
Haplogroup E1a: E1a is human Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup. E-P177 is joined with it to give two main branches of the older E-P147 paternal clade or men ancestors. These include – Moroccan Berbers, Burkina Faso, Fulbe of Northern Cameroon, Senegal, Fante of Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Hausa and Fulani of Sudan, Egypt, Albanian and Italian Calabria, Canary Islands, Guanche of Tentrino of North-East Italy and Constanta of Romania. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/World_Map_of_Y-DNA_Haplogroups.png
Results are as follows:
Igbo of Nigeria (Volta-Niger and Niger-Congo language) – A=nil B=nil E1a=nil E1b1a= 89.3 E1b1b=nil E2=nil J=nil R1b=nil T=nil
Cross River of Nigeria (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=nil E1a=nil E1b1a= 87 E1b1b=nil E2=nil J=0 R1b=0 T=0
Yorubas of Nigeria (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=8 E1a=0 E1b1a= 92 E1b1b=0 E2=0 J=0 R1b=0 T=0
Burkina Fasso (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=0.9 E1a=3.8 E1b1a= 81.1 E1b1b=2.8 E2=11.3 J=o R1b=0 T=0
Kwa of Ghana (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=0 E1a=2.2 E1b1a= 92.3 E1b1b=1.1 E2=0 J=o R1b=1.1 T=0
Fon of Benin (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=0 E1a=0 E1b1a= 95 E1b1b=0 E2=5 J=0 R1b=0 T=0
Mandinkan of Guinea Bissau - A=5 B=3 E1a=3 E1b1a=79 E1b1b=nil E2=nil J=nil R1b=nil T=nil
Mossi of Ivory Coast (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=2 E1a=nil E1b1a= 90 E1b1b=2 E2=nil J=nil R1b=nil T=nil
Senegalese (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=nil E1a=0 E1b1a= 5.1 E1b1b=81.3 E2=6.5 J=2.9 R1b=0 T=0
Hutu Rwanda (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=4 E1a=0 E1b1a= 83 E1b1b=3 E2=8 J=0 R1b=1 T=0
Tutsi of Rwanda (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=8 E1a=0 E1b1a= 92 E1b1b=0 E2=0 J=0 R1b=0 T=0
Igbos and Efiks have only E1b1a of Niger-Volta or Niger-Congo language groups. There is no E1b1b or other subclades in Y-DNA of Igbo and Efiks, showing that there is no other haplogroup, unlike others that has values in more than one sub-clade.
The haplogroup of Igbo is distributed as E-V38 further classified into E-M329 and E-M2. EM-2 is mainly seen in Ethiopia, while E-M329 subclade is in West Africa, Central Africa, South Africa and around African Great Lakes. It is in North America, Middle-East and the Americas.
Haplogroup E-M2 has E1b1a1, further branch into E1b1a1a1 and further into E1b1a1a1a. That is how we have E1b1a1a1b, E1b1a1a1c, E1b1a1a1d, E1b1a1a1e and E1b1a1a1f (YCC).
E1b1a1a1f further branches into E1b1a1a1f1 and E1b1a1a1f1a.
E1b1a1a1f1a with marker M191/P86 is found in Gur speakers of Burkina Fasso, Annang (38.3%), Ibibio (45.6%), Efik (45%), and Igbo (54.3%). Americans (34.9%) for M191. This shows how close Igbo are related to Efik, Ibibio and Annang by Y-DNA,though they speak different dialects. In genetic anthropology Efiks and Ibibios are classified as close relatives of Igbos (Igboid) by Y-DNA genome project.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_E-M2
LINGUISTIC ANALYSIS: To start with, my ancestors are part of those that migrated to Bonny accounting for why we share dialects with - same words, word roots and word variants.
Abala says 'read' as 'gu o, Ndoki says 'gu o' Asa says 'gu o' Ngwa says 'gu o' Igbo izugbe says 'gu o.'
Abala says 'yes' as 'ee', Ndoki says 'ee?' Ngwa says 'ee' Igbo izugbe says 'ee' and Ibani says 'iin.'
Abala says 'fry' as 'kpagharia', Ndoki says 'kpaharia', Ngwa says 'kpagharia' and Igbo izugbe says 'kpagharia' and Ibani says 'kpangiri.'
Abala says 'our place' as 'nka kai or nkai', Ndoki says 'nka anyi', Asa says 'nka anyi', Ngwa says 'obe anyi', Ibani says 'ama ayi', and Igbo izugbe says 'ebe anyi.'
Abala says 'and' as 'li', Ndoki says 'na', Asa says 'na', Ngwa says 'la', Ibani says 'na', and Igbo izugbe says 'na.'
Abala says 'yellow' as 'odo-odo', Ndoki says 'odo-odo', Asa says 'odo', Ngwa says 'odo', Ibani says 'odo-odo', and Igbo izugbe says 'odo.'
Abala says 'my in-law' as 'ogom', Ndoki says 'ogom', Asa says 'ogom', Ngwa says 'ogom', Ibani says 'ogom', and Igbo izugbe says 'ogom.'
Roger Blench with the support of Kay Williamson Educational Foundation, did linguistic, ethno-scientific, archeological, anthropological and genetic studies. His linguistic works to show variants and sameness in root words in Igbo and Ibani. https://www.rogerblench.info/PubOP.htm
Ibani language of today is an Igbo-Ijaw dialect that evolved from Ndoki, Abala (Ibeme), Asa, Ngwa and Ndoni/Ijaw.
IGBO-EFIK LINGUISTIC ANALYSIS:
Judgment - Igbo ‘ikpe’, Efik-Ibibio ‘ikpe’
World - Igbo ‘uwa’, Efik-Ibibio ‘iwa’
Diety – Igbo ‘obasi’, Efik-Ibibio 'abasi’
Vulture – Igbo ‘udele’, Efik ‘utere’
In fact, the people (Abala of Old Ibeme) and other Ukwa-Ngwas in Bonny (Okoloma land) account for majority of migrants and other left over slaves after abolition of trans-Atlantic slave trade remnants that make up Bonny settlers. That is why we have Abalabiama in Bonny (Abala biama). Ibani or Bonny was formed by Igbos from Ngwa-Ukwu clans, Asas, Ndoki and Ibibio (Ikot-Abasi in Akwa Ibom) with Ijo or Ijaw aborigines (Obolo or Andoni). Igbo that is most prominent is Jaja from old Orlu zone (Amaigbo in Nkwerre) due to his success in earning freedom from bonds of slavery. Royal (Amanyanagbo or Okpala Ndoli) of Pepple family are among earliest settlers. My father narrated that the 'Obanis or Ubanis or Ibanis' their brothers used to visit my community for cultural activities (shared cultural heritage e.g Ekpe, Ikoro, Okonko and others), until modernization stopped that some decades ago.
JOURNEY: Songhai empire (14000-15000 C.E.) covered from Niger as far as Timbuktu in today's Mali. Sudanic kingdom gave birth to - Gold Coast (now Ghana), Songhai, Hausa and Kanem Bornu within Sahara Africa, according to Encyclopedia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/place/western-Africa#ref516319. Later, Songhai broke up after inversion of North African Sonnis or Sunni Muslims of Morocco (Berbers), giving birth to Dahomey (Benin Republic), Sierra Leon, Liberia, Ghana and amalgamated tribes that form Nigeria and then Southern Cameroun, and others. Igbos came southward passing and temporarily settling among Benue Nok cultures (Idomas and Igalas). Later some crossed to Anambra and Enugu, while others moved to join Benin kingdom (when Olaudah Equiano was sold as slave during slave-trade period of 14th - 18th century C.E.). Dispute later erupted prompting some Igbos to go and re-unite with other Igbos in Anambra and Imo settlements. Some Igbos were integrated in to Edo (those around Igbanke, Ikpon, Inyelen, Iru, Owanikeke, Ute Obagie, Owa-Riuzo Idu and Igbogili communities in Edo). The other Ika Igbo subgroup moved to Delta state area (Agbor, Owa, Umunede, Owerre Olubor, Ekuoma, Emuhu, Mbiri, Abavo, Orogodo, Otolokpo, Igbodo, Ute-Okpu, Ute-Ogbeje, Idumuesah, Akumazi). The Aniomas also settled with the Ukwuanis adjacent to Isokos and Urhobos. Other Ika Igbos migrated to Abakaliki area of Ebonyi state and Oguta in Imo state. Asaba is part of Edo returnees who settled before river Niger.
The Igbos that wanted to reunite with their brothers had language metamorphosis due to their stay in Edo and are misrepresented as Edos or Benis or Ijaws by some. The link below shows that Igbo land was called Guinea by slave merchants after disintegration of Songhai.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bight_of_Biafra
The Bight of Biafara as pronounced by Spaniads 'coastal part of Gulf of Guinea.' It has existed before colonization came. This shows why the gulf was also called 'Gulf of Guinea' as can be seen in this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bight_of_Biafra#/media/File:1710_moll.jpg
https://songhaiempireproject.weebly.com/map.html
Map shewing Sudanic states dating 11th-16th century C.E., Songhai (largest empire of then Sahel West Africa) where the great multi-ethnic empire existed. It gave birth to Dahomey (Benin Republic) and Nigeria after invasion by Sonni dynasty of Morrocan Berbers with capital in Gao then.
IJAWs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijaw_people Ijaws settled southward along the coastal areas of Niger-Delta swampy and oil rich tributaries down to the Bight of Bonny or part of Atlantic coastal lines. These are where Ijaws live today - Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana, Degema, Kalabari, Andoni, Okrika, Ibani, Bonny, Finima and Opobo and Nkoroo.
ITSEKIRIs https://www.britannica.com/topic/Itsekiri Itsekiris originated from Benin dynasty and settled as neighbor right before the Ijaws from west along the Bight of Benin in the Atlantic coast.
DISTRIBUTION OF IGBO PEOPLE: Igbo people are distributed in these Nigerian states: Abia, Anambra, Imo, Enugu, Ebonyi, Delta, Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Akwa-Ibom, Benue and Edo. Igbo towns in the heartland are - Aba, Onitsha, Enugu,Abakaliki, Owerri, Orlu, Okigwe, Arochukwu, Port Harcourt, Asaba, Awka,Nnewi, Awka, Nsuka, Afikpo and Agbor.
EFIK-IBIBIO-IGBO LINK: Nsibidi symbolic writing is common in south-east of Nigeria mostly among the Efik, Ekoi, Igbo and Ibibio. It is another shared heritage of Igbos and Calabars. These inscriptions are seen in potteries in Calabar dating 400 – 1400 C.E. Nsibidi is also used as decorative works on walls, tattoos, calabashes and metals. Nsibidi was transferred to Cuba and Haiti by means of the slave trade where it developed to anafuruana or veve symbols. Court cases used Nsibidi in judgments called ikpe in Efik. Nsibidi is used as a design pattern for woven material called ‘ukara ekpe’ clothes in Abakaliki, Abiriba, Arochukwu and Ohafia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nsibidi
Efik oral history narrates that Efiks migrated from Arochukwu now in Abia to their location now in Cross-River. They settled briefly at Uraun in Akwa-Ibom and Eniong areas. The account has it that they settled for about a century at Uruan, then moved to Ikpa Ene and Ndodihi before arriving Esit Edik. The Efik are relatives of Annang, Ibibio, Biase, Eket, Akamkpa, Uruan and Oron people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efik_people
Connected Efik-Ibibio subgroups (Ibibioids) includes diverse Obolo (Ndoni) languages – Obolo, Efik, Ibibio, Ibino (Ibeno), Oro (Oron), Enwang-Uda, Usaghede, Iko, Ilue and Okobo.
IGBO: Ukwa-Ngwa - Ibeme (focusing on Abala) sojourns to south: Abala Autonomuos Community is in Obingwa local government area of Abia State in Nigeria. Abala consists of 'Abala and Abala Nkamiri.' Ibeme clans consists of: Abala, Abala-Nkamiri, Ibeme and Oberete-Isiala. Abala is sorrounded by Abiaka, Abala-Nkomiri, Ahiaka, Oberete, Obete-Uku, Obete-Umuodo, Obete-Umuoha, Obete-Nchine, Oko-Enyi, Ohanze-Agwo, Akpaa Mbato, Ovom Amasa, Akirika, Urua-Inyang, Ikot-Okpana Nwa, Akirika-Obu and Ntighauzo.
Old Aba gave birth to Aba North, Aba South, Obioma Ngwa (give birth to - Osisioma, Obingwa and Ugwunagbo), Ukwa (give birth to - Ukwa East and Ukwa West).
My paternal ancestors went to Owerri village called Umunaoha (These are the Ozas of Asa origin, among Onyeukwu, Nwoha and Avosi. My paternal ancestors (Umuchukwunna or Umu Chukwu Nna) with their brothers Azu-Ahia and others who are in Abala, part of old Ibeme are from Ezeukwu clan of Asa. Some of Asas of Oza from my community (Azu-Ahia of Abala in then old Ibeme) went back to Obegu to join their brothers due to a dispute of which Anaba family of Obegu (family of former deputy governor of Abia state) is part of them.
Onyeukwu of three Ngwa brothers that left Owerri zone (Umunaoha), crossing Imo river were given lands by Ibibios, mostly of Ika and Annang Ibibioid and Igboid mixed speaking clans who were then in old Aba division, but now they are in Abbak division after constitutional amendment of state boundaries.
NWOHAs (Umuoha in Ibeme, Mbutu, Ovuokwu, Ovungwu and Avosi adopted Ibeme culture and language) forming Mgboko settlement. Ngwas were welcome by Ozas of Asa, where "Ezeukwu of Asa," father of Nnah father of Chukwu father of Nwaogu father of my dad came from with their Asa brothers and Ndoki brothers from near Ohambele (village of former Senate President of Federal Republic of Nigeria Adolphus or Adolf Nwagbara, precisely before Nkpaijekere where we have Abia palm plantation) for hunting expedition in old Ibeme land and finally settled in Abala.
My maternal ancestors and their kins, actually are of near Ohambele origin and settled in Abala after the joint hunting event.
Ngwa-Ukwu united southward with Ozas (Azu Ahia clan of Abala were part of Ozas) that joined to form Obegu.
Ahiaba and Abayi are from Ukwu.
OLD IBEME: It was formed by Ika Igboid mixed Igbo and Ibibio speaking group called Ika na Annang, Mgboko (from Nsulu) and Ntigha (Joined their Ngwa brothers from the hinterland beyond Imo river).
Mgboko Umuanunu consists of Ibemes, Bende, Okpala Ngwa-ukwu, Nsulu and Ntigha.
Ugwunagbo moved from Opobo or Bonny and Akwete (all Ngwa-ukwu with varied dialects due to language metamorphosis as they sojourned).
Uratta, Ntigha, Mbutu, Ovungwu, Amapu Umuoha, Umunka, Nnentu, Umuakwa, Amuhu and Asas are of Ozas and Ozuzu (Owerri migrants).
NDOKI (Anyi na adoke) who left the coastal Opobo-Bonny due to a dispute mistaken as Ijaws due to their initial migration along Ijaw through Rivers state as did the Ikwerres who has link with Owerri and Orlu with the Etches. Ndokis settled in Akasse, then Oguta, later they moved to Umunaoha in Owerri before Mbaitolu local government council in Umuorieubi, then they passed through Ndizuorgu and arrived Azumini (Okolomakiri), then they arrived Umuagbayi and broke into two groups. Some to Okoloma (land of curlew birds) forming Ibani or Bonny. The second group remained at Umuagbayi, Izuorgu, Ayama and Obunku.
Later those in Bonny (the Ibanis) retraced there route and established trade route of which King Jaja of Opobo was one. That was why they fought with Pebbles to monopolize trade with the British then. Jaja used to travel back to Owerri for traditional events then. Talbot dated founding of Bonny to 14000-1480. Most migration of southern Igbo happened in 15th century and matches the Narrative of Olaudah Equiano by reckoning based on events that happened.
Ndokis- Umuihueze, Akwete met at Obunku for Ogu worship, while Obohia of prince Iloko Umu Kwokwoeze worshiped at Azumini.
ASAs MOVEMENT: It happened after break up of a piece of dynasty from disintegrated Songhai empire (Niger to Timbuktu or Mali). Philip Emeagwali the Nigerian supercomputer wizard in his lecture at Indian Institute of Technology confirms Songhai history of Igbo too.
Mkporobo are of same ancestry with Asa Umunka, while Ohuru (in Ndoki) are of same ancestry with Mgboko- Ngwa.
Ukwa is enclave of Asa, Omuma or Etche, Ndoki.
Ubani (Nwaubani) is a common southern Igbo name used in Ndoki, Orlu zone, old Ibeme and rest of Ngwa.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ImperialYoruba: 3:51am On Jan 05, 2019
69 pages of nonsense, no head, no tail. So with all the spits in here, is Ibo no longer landlocked?

Mmmtccheew...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Donarozzi: 5:29pm On Jan 07, 2019
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 30, 2019
This is very bad, some people want to tarnish Innoson's name,

please who has access to wikipedea should correct this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innoson_Group_vs_GTBank_fraud_case
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by letu(m): 8:02pm On Mar 30, 2019
williamnow:
IGBO AND NIGER-DELTA PEOPLE'S HISTORICAL, LINGUISTIC, CULTURAL AND DNA EVIDENCES
AUTHOR: NWAOGU, WILLIAM KELECHI
SOURCE: GEOGRAPHICAL SETTING OF NDI NGWA IN OLD ABA DIVISION BEFORE THE ADVENT OF BRITISH.http://ngwaforumabuja.org/index.php/ndi-ngwa
SOURCE: History of Aba in British archives London.
SOURCE: Orally received, but documented history by my dad, my maternal grand father who was a British high chief.
SOURCE: Interesting Narrative of The Life of Olaudah Equiano (Ola-Ude Ikwuano), The African Slave or Gustavus Vassa.
SOURCE: Wikipedia.
SOURCE: Encyclopedia Britannica.
OVERVIEW:
These is achieved by linguistic anthropology (comparing of languages or dialects, especially origin of root words); cultural anthropology (study of peoples cultural elements like, music and art); historical anthropology (study of peoples origin from their historical events); scientific anthropology (study of peoples DNA to determine their ancestry), and comparing archeological evidences related to the group.
DNA STUDY: These is very accurate, since it is based on matching similar or shared traits in the genetic codes of individuals or groups. This method has been used by many researchers. In fact many African-Americans have traced their ancestral roots and re-united with their clans by this means. Joseph J. Williams mentioned West African choromatins, who are among DNA haplogroups classification covered in human genome projects. You can trace your ancestry some millennia back based on DNA kits with database of many countries, races, tribes, clans or families. You can trace the migration pattern of your ancestors down to your current location with map that give insight into your ancestry. The best for now is the Ancestry DNA kit at www.ancestry.com.
A complete Ancestry DNA result reveals - your relatives worldwide; identifies your paternal and maternal roots, and shows you the peoples of the world from different regions within countries, but not countries. These DNA kits reveal your degree of relationship to individuals and groups in the database. It has over 20 billion records and over 100 million family trees from many races, tribes, clans and families.
STUDY SCOPE: This work is based on linguistic, historical, scientific (DNA) and cultural evidences, with focus on migration and settlement of more recent southern Igbo tribes.
BACKGROUND OF IGBO SETTLEMENT IN SOUTH-EAST NIGERIA:
Igbos followed southward migration pattern, accounting for why most southern Igbo tribes are more recent than northern Igbo tribes.
Oha Igbo settled at different phases and times as can be reckoned from archeological studies, such as the Igbo-Ukwu bronze evidence -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo-Ukwu. Igbo Ukwu artifacts discovered in 1939 by Isaiah Anozie in Anambra dated to 9th century C.E. Further excavations between 1959-1964 by Thurstan Shaw revealed more than 700 high quality copper, bronze and iron artifacts with 165000 pieces consisting of - glass, carnelian, stone beads, pottery, textiles and ivory. These are oldest bronze artifacts known in West Africa, and were produced before Ife and Benin artifacts. Igbo Ukwu is trace to 300-900 C.E. Discovery of monoliths at Ugwelle Uturu Okigwe dated 4500 B.C. Nsukka metal cultural site dated 3000 B.C. While another attributed to Ngwa culture is dated 18 C.E.
Most Eri clans can be seen at Anambra and Enugu. Nri kingdom was established at Aguleri. Umuleri is the closest to their Nri brothers in Aguleri. Other Eris migrated into Imo which included today's Abia and possibly Ebonyi.
Some Igbos settled in southeast Nigeria earlier, and others later, due to stop overs during their sojourn and other distractions.
Some aboriginal Benue-Congo language group tribes had settled in the southeast of the Niger before arrival of the Igbos. These include - the Bantus and Ala Ukus who lived in the southern Igbo regions of old Aba according to Professor Alaezi, who did extensive research in 'West Africa, United States of America (African-Black-American studies), United Kingdom, and 'Middle-East.'
PATERNAL IGBO DNA (Y-DNA ADAM's): Igbo type of Y-DNA is seen in Afro-Caribbeans, African-Americans; some Cameroonian populations, Equitorial Guinea, Liberia. Among Liberians is Edward James Roy – 5th Liberian President.
All Africans carry E1B1A haplogroups, which was found in the carcass of the second Twentieth Dynasty Pharaoh Ramses III and last powerful ruler of the New Kingdom. This shows that the African Y-DNA is dominant. It has been scientifically proven that Adamic gene is dominant in all the races of the world, showing that we all share common ancestry. The difference is that there exist variations as populations continue to grow.
23&me Igbo DNA sample is here: https://tracingafricanroots./category/igbo/
IGBO HAPLOGROUP (E1B1A): A Wikipedia source “Y-DNA haplogroups in populations of Sub-Sahara Africa” shows Y-DNA results below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_in_populations_of_Sub-Saharan_Africa
Haplogroup A: ‘A’ is human Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup to all known patrilineal lineages. Y-chromosomal Adam is found predominantly in African populations. Haplogroup BT (clade II-IX) participated in out of Africa migrations.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_A (Y-DNA)
Haplogroup B (B-M60): ‘B ‘is Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup to common patrilineal lineages in Africa.
Haplogroup E1a: E1a is human Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup. E-P177 is joined with it to give two main branches of the older E-P147 paternal clade or men ancestors. These include – Moroccan Berbers, Burkina Faso, Fulbe of Northern Cameroon, Senegal, Fante of Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Hausa and Fulani of Sudan, Egypt, Albanian and Italian Calabria, Canary Islands, Guanche of Tentrino of North-East Italy and Constanta of Romania. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/World_Map_of_Y-DNA_Haplogroups.png
Results are as follows:
Igbo of Nigeria (Volta-Niger NC language) – A=nil B=nil E1a=nil E1b1a= 89.3 E1b1b=nil E2=nil J=nil R1b=nil T=nil
Cross River of Nigeria (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=nil E1a=nil E1b1a= 87 E1b1b=nil E2=nil J=0 R1b=0 T=0
Yorubas of Nigeria (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=8 E1a=0 E1b1a= 92 E1b1b=0 E2=0 J=0 R1b=0 T=0
Burkina Fasso (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=0.9 E1a=3.8 E1b1a= 81.1 E1b1b=2.8 E2=11.3 J=o R1b=0 T=0
Kwa of Ghana (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=0 E1a=2.2 E1b1a= 92.3 E1b1b=1.1 E2=0 J=o R1b=1.1 T=0
Fon of Benin (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=0 E1a=0 E1b1a= 95 E1b1b=0 E2=5 J=0 R1b=0 T=0
Mandinkan of Guinea Bissau - A=5 B=3 E1a=3 E1b1a=79 E1b1b=nil E2=nil J=nil R1b=nil T=nil
Mossi of Ivory Coast (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=2 E1a=nil E1b1a= 90 E1b1b=2 E2=nil J=nil R1b=nil T=nil
Senegalese (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=nil E1a=0 E1b1a= 5.1 E1b1b=81.3 E2=6.5 J=2.9 R1b=0 T=0
Hutu Rwanda (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=4 E1a=0 E1b1a= 83 E1b1b=3 E2=8 J=0 R1b=1 T=0
Tutsi of Rwanda (Niger-Congo language) - A=0 B=8 E1a=0 E1b1a= 92 E1b1b=0 E2=0 J=0 R1b=0 T=0
Igbos and Efiks have only E1b1a of Niger-Volta or Niger-Congo language groups. There is no E1b1b or other subclades in Y-DNA of Igbo and Efiks, showing that there is no other haplogroup, unlike others that has values in more than one sub-clade.
The haplogroup of Igbo is distributed as E-V38 further classified into E-M329 and E-M2. EM-2 is mainly seen in Ethiopia, while E-M329 subclade is in West Africa, Central Africa, South Africa and around African Great Lakes. It is in North America, Middle-East and the Americas.
Haplogroup E-M2 has E1b1a1, further branch into E1b1a1a1 and further into E1b1a1a1a. That is how we have E1b1a1a1b, E1b1a1a1c, E1b1a1a1d, E1b1a1a1e and E1b1a1a1f (YCC).
E1b1a1a1f further branches into E1b1a1a1f1 and E1b1a1a1f1a.
E1b1a1a1f1a with marker M191/P86 is found in Gur speakers of Burkina Fasso, Annang (38.3%), Ibibio (45.6%), Efik (45%), and Igbo (54.3%). Americans (34.9%) for M191. This shows how close Igbo are related to Efik, Ibibio and Annang by Y-DNA,though they speak different dialects. In genetic anthropology Efiks and Ibibios are classified as close relatives of Igbos (Igboid) by Y-DNA genome project.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_E-M2
LINGUISTIC ANALYSIS: To start with, my ancestors are part of those that migrated to Bonny and our dialects are up to 70% percent the same, if not an under-estimation.
Abala says 'obu nka ole?, Ndoki says 'obu nke ele? Asa says 'obu nka kole? Ngwa says 'ovu ebe ole? Igbo izugbe says 'obu ebe?.'
Abala says 'what?' as 'ge?', Ndoki says 'ke?' Ngwa says 'nghiri?' Igbo izugbe says 'gini?' and Ibani says 'ke.'
Abala says 'we' as 'yi or yei', Ndoki says 'yi', Ngwa says 'anyi' and Igbo izugbe says 'anyi.'
Abala says 'yours' as 'ke kei', Ndoki say 'ke ikei', Asa says 'kei', Ngwa says 'ke ghu' and Igbo izugbe says 'nke gi.'
Abala says 'his' as 'ke', Ndoki says 'ke a', Asa says 'ka a', Ngwa says 'ke ya', Igbo izugbe says 'nke ya.'
Abala says 'our place' as 'nka kai or nkai', Ndoki says 'nka anyi', Asa says 'nka anyi', Ngwa says 'obe anyi', Ibani says 'nka yi', and Igbo izugbe says 'ebe anyi.'
Chima Onwukwe's paper shades light on linguistic analogy of Ibeme dialect titled: "Socio-Cultural and Linguistic Evidences of Ibeme Dialect as a Patois of Ngwa and Ndoki Dialect." The scope of his work did not cover - Asa, Igbo izugbe and Ibani in his analogy.http://www.academia.edu/6975337/Ibeme_paper
Every speaker of Ibani knows that it is an Igbo-Ijaw dialect that evolved from Ndoki, Abala (Ibeme), Asa, Ngwa and Ndoni/Ijaw.
IGBO-EFIK LINGUISTIC ANALYSIS:
Judgment - Igbo ‘ikpe’, Efik-Ibibio ‘ikpe’
World - Igbo ‘iwa’,Efik-Ibibio ‘uwa’
Diety – Igbo ‘obasi’, Efik-Ibibio’abasi’
Vulture – Igbo ‘udele’, Efik ‘utere’
In fact, the people (Abala of Old Ibeme) and other Ukwa-Ngwas in Bonny (Okoloma land) account for majority of migrants and other left over slaves after abolition of trans-Atlantic slave trade remnants that make up Bonny settlers. That is why we have Abalabiama in Bonny (Abala biama). Ibani or Bonny was formed by Igbos from Ngwa-Ukwu clans, Asas, Ndoki and Ibibio (Ikot-Abasi in Akwa Ibom) with Ijo or Ijaw aborigines (Obolo or Andoni). Igbo that is most prominent is Jaja from old Orlu zone (Amaigbo in Nkwerre) due to his success in earning freedom from bonds of slavery. Royal (Amanyanagbo or Okpala Ndoli) of Pepple family are among earliest settlers. My father narrated that the 'Obanis or Ubanis or Ibanis' their brothers used to visit my community for cultural activities (shared cultural heritage e.g Ekpe, Ikoro, Okonko and others), until modernization stopped that some decades ago.
JOURNEY: Songhai empire (14000-15000 C.E.) covered from Niger as far as Timbuktu in today's Mali. Sudanic kingdom gave birth to - Gold Coast (now Ghana), Songhai, Hausa and Kanem Bornu within Sahara Africa, according to Encyclopedia Britannica -https://www.britannica.com/place/western-Africa#ref516319. Later, Songhai broke up after inversion of North African Sonnis or Sunni Muslims of Morocco (Berbers), giving birth to Dahomey (Benin Republic), Sierra Leon, Liberia, Ghana and amalgamated tribes that form Nigeria and then Southern Cameroun, and others. Igbos came southward passing and temporarily settling in Benue Nok culture (Idomas and Igalas). Later some crossed to Anambra and Enugu, while others moved to join Benin kingdom (when Olaudah Equiano was sold as slave during slave-trade period of 14th - 18th century C.E.). Dispute later erupted prompting some Igbos to go and re-unite with other Igbos in Anambra and Imo settlements. Some Igbos were integrated in to Edo (those around Igbanke, Ikpon, Inyelen, Iru, Owanikeke, Ute Obagie, Owa-Riuzo Idu and Igbogili communities in Edo). The other Ika Igbo subgroup moved to Delta state area (Agbor, Owa, Umunede, Owerre Olubor, Ekuoma, Emuhu, Mbiri, Abavo, Orogodo, Otolokpo, Igbodo, Ute-Okpu, Ute-Ogbeje, Idumuesah, Akumazi). The Aniomas also settled with the Ukwuanis adjacent to Isokos and Urhobos. Other Ika Igbos migrated to Abakaliki area of Ebonyi state and Oguta in Imo state. Asaba is part of Edo returnees who settled before river Niger.
The Igbos that wanted to reunite with their brothers had language metamorphosis due to their stay in Edo and are misrepresented as Edos or Benis or Ijaws by some. The link below shows that Igbo land was called Guinea by slave merchants after disintegration of Songhai.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bight_of_Biafra
The Bight of Biafra 'coastal part of Gulf of Guinea.' It has existed before colonization came. This shows why the gulf was also called 'Gulf of Guinea' as can be seen in this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bight_of_Biafra#/media/File:1710_moll.jpg
https://songhaiempireproject.weebly.com/map.html
Map shewing Sudanic states dating 11th-16th century C.E., Songhai (largest empire of then Sahel West Africa) where the great multi-ethnic empire existed. It gave birth to Dahomey now Benin Republic and parts of it are Nigerians after invasion by Sonni dynasty of Morrocan Berbers with capital in Gao then.
IJAWs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijaw_people Ijaws settled southward along the coastal areas of Niger-Delta swampy and oil rich tributaries down to the Bight of Bonny or part of Atlantic coastal lines. These are where Ijaws live today - Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana, Degema, Kalabari, Andoni, Okrika, Ibani, Bonny, Finima and Opobo and Nkoroo.
ITSEKIRIs https://www.britannica.com/topic/Itsekiri Itsekiris originated from Benin dynasty and settled as neighbor right before the Ijaws from west along the Bight of Benin in the Atlantic coast.
DISTRIBUTION OF IGBO PEOPLE: Igbo people are distributed in these Nigerian states: Abia, Anambra, Imo, Enugu, Ebonyi, Delta, Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Akwa-Ibom, Benue and Edo. Igbo towns in the heartland are - Aba, Onitsha, Enugu,Abakaliki, Owerri, Orlu, Okigwe, Arochukwu, Port Harcourt, Asaba, Awka,Nnewi, Awka, Nsuka, Afikpo and Agbor.
EFIK-IBIBIO-IGBO LINK: Nsibidi symbolic writing is common in south-east of Nigeria mostly among the Efik, Ekoi, Igbo and Ibibio. It is another shared heritage of Igbos and Calabars. These inscriptions are seen in potteries in Calabar dating 400 – 1400 C.E. Nsibidi is also used as decorative works on walls, tattoos, calabashes and metals. Nsibidi was transferred to Cuba and Haiti by means of the slave trade where it developed to anafuruana or veve symbols. Court cases used Nsibidi in judgments called ikpe in Efik. Nsibidi is used as a design pattern for woven material called ‘ukara ekpe’ clothes in Abakaliki, Abiriba, Arochukwu and Ohafia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nsibidi
Efik oral history narrates that Efiks migrated from Arochukwu now in Abia to their location now in Cross-River. They settled briefly at Uraun in Akwa-Ibom and Eniong areas. The account has it that they settled for about a century at Uruan, then moved to Ikpa Ene and Ndodihi before arriving Esit Edik. The Efik are relatives of Annang, Ibibio, Biase, Eket, Akamkpa, Uruan and Oron people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efik_people
Connected Efik-Ibibio subgroups (Ibibioids) includes diverse Obolo (Ndoni) languages – Obolo, Efik, Ibibio, Ibino (Ibeno), Oro (Oron), Enwang-Uda, Usaghede, Iko, Ilue and Okobo.
IGBO: Ukwa-Ngwa - Ibeme (focusing on Abala) sojourns to south: Abala Autonomuos Community is in Obingwa local government area of Abia State in Nigeria. Abala consists of 'Abala and Abala Nkamiri.' Ibeme clans consists of: Abala, Abala-Nkamiri, Ibeme and Oberete-Isiala. Abala is sorrounded by Abiaka, Abala-Nkomiri, Ahiaka, Oberete, Obete-Uku, Obete-Umuodo, Obete-Umuoha, Obete-Nchine, Oko-Enyi, Ohanze-Agwo, Akpaa Mbato, Ovom Amasa, Akirika, Urua-Inyang, Ikot-Okpana Nwa, Akirika-Obu and Ntighauzo.
Old Aba gave birth to Aba North, Aba South, Obiama Ngwa (give birth to - Osisioma, Obingwa and Ugwunagbo), Ukwa (give birth to - Ukwa East and Ukwa West).
My paternal ancestors went to Owerri village called Umunaoha (These are the Ozas of Asa origin, who moved as part of their Ngwa three brothers Onyeukwu, Nwoha and Avosi. My paternal ancestors (Umuchukwunna or Umu Chukwu Nna) with their brothers Azu Ahia who are in Abala, part of old Ibeme are from Ezeukwu clan of Asa. Some of Asas of Oza from my community (Azu-Ahia of Abala in then old Ibeme) went back to Obegu to join their brothers due to a dispute of which Anaba family of Obegu (family of former deputy governor of Abia state) is part of them.
Onyeukwu of three Ngwa brothers that left Owerri zone (Umunaoha), crossing Imo river were given lands by Ibibios, mostly of Ika and Annang Ibibioid and Igboid mixed speaking clans who were then in old Aba division, but now they are in Abbak division after constitutional amendment of state boundaries.
NWOHAs (Umuoha in Ibeme, Mbutu, Ovuokwu, Ovungwu and Avosi adopted Ibeme culture and language) forming Mgboko settlement. Ngwas were welcome by Ozas of Asa, where "Ezeukwu of Asa," father of Nnah father of Chukwu father of Nwaogu father of my dad came from with their Asa brothers and Ndoki brothers from near Ohambele (village of former Senate President of Federal Republic of Nigeria Adolphus or Adolf Nwagbara, precisely before Nkpaijekere where we have Abia palm plantation) for hunting expedition in old Ibeme land and finally settled in Abala.
My maternal ancestors and their kins, actually are of near Ohambele origin and settled in Abala after the joint hunting event.
Ngwa-Ukwu united southward with Ozas (Azu Ahia clan of Abala were part of Ozas) that joined to form Obegu.
Ahiaba and Abayi are from Ukwu.
OLD IBEME: It was formed by Ika Igboid mixed Igbo and Ibibio speaking group called Ika na Annang, Mgboko (from Nsulu) and Ntigha (Joined their Ngwa brothers from the hinterland beyond Imo river).
Mgboko Umuanunu consists of Ibemes, Bende, Okpala Ngwa-ukwu, Nsulu and Ntigha.
Ugwunagbo moved from Opobo or Bonny and Akwete (all Ngwa-ukwu with varied dialects due to language metamorphosis as they sojourned).
Uratta, Ntigha, Mbutu, Ovungwu, Amapu Umuoha, Umunka, Nnentu, Umuakwa, Amuhu and Asas are of Ozas and Ozuzu (Owerri migrants).
NDOKI (Anyi na adoke) who left the coastal Opobo-Bonny due to a dispute mistaken as Ijaws due to their initial settlement in Edo and migration along Ijaw through Rivers state as did the Ikwerres who has link with Owerri and Orlu with the Etches. Ndokis settled in Akasse, then Oguta, later they moved to Umunaoha in Owerri before Mbaitolu local government council in Umuorieubi, then they passed through Ndizuorgu and arrived Azumini (Okolomakiri), then they arrived Umuagbayi and broke into two groups. Some to Okoloma (land of curlew birds) forming Ibani or Bonny. The second group remained at Umuagbayi, Izuorgu, Ayama and Obunku.
Later those in Bonny (the Ibanis) retraced there route and established trade route of which King Jaja of Opobo was one. That was why they fought with Pebbles to monopolize trade with the British then. Jaja or Ji-ojoo used to travel back to Owerri for traditional events then. Talbot dated founding of Bonny to 14000-1480.
Well my fellow Igbos here now you all can see how mixed up the people know as Ndoki/ASA also know as Obibo/Ukwa and their Ngwa relatives are, despite all they still identify with Igbo unlike other Igbos that are mixed-up like them eg Igbos mix with other Igbos and non Igbos that keep making noise on how the are Igbo and how they are not Igbo seriously enough of this attention seeker/notice me eg Igbos and non Igbos of south south part of Nigeria and (south west Nigeria)Yorrobas and non Igbos of Nigeria.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by jbblues24(m): 9:16pm On Jun 01, 2019
I never meant to cause you any sorrow. I never meant to cause you any pain. I only wanted to one time see you laughing. I only wanted to see you laughing in the purple rain. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (Reply)

18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage / Do You Consider Somalis As Black?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.