Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? (30166 Views)

If You Want To Anoyed Igbo Just Say Rocha! / President Buhari Not Nigeria’s First Leader At Blair House - The FCT Post / What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by oluwabamis(m): 2:26pm On Aug 22, 2010
kudos to knowall. I have always insists that a million female children cant be compared to just one male child. (apologies to the female folks).

Da-rocha is what the yorubas called Olowo Ana. meaning people who were once rich. may God not make us Olowo Ana.
also business people should always evolve their businesses, they should always look for new ways of doing things, and also divesting into new ventures. Govt policies at times changes your fortune either for better or worse.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by seyibrown(f): 2:55pm On Aug 22, 2010
oluwabamis:

kudos to knowall. I have always insists that a million female children cant be compared to just one male child. (apologies to the female folks).

Da-rocha is what the yorubas called Olowo Ana. meaning people who were once rich. may God not make us Olowo Ana.
also business people should always evolve their businesses, they should always look for new ways of doing things, and also divesting into new ventures. Govt policies at times changes your fortune either for better or worse.

e.g Ian Huntley, Osama bin Laden and the many male nigerian leaders who have helped bring Nigeria down to its knees! angry angry
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by tpiah: 10:55pm On Aug 22, 2010
KnowAll:

I am not having a go at this family,

KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Could it be that this gentleman died a pauper having once being the richest man in Nigeria for such a saying" do you think I am Da Rocha" to have become so popular. Was it as a result of their father's extravegance and consequent poverty the family members felt embarass and they decided to jettison the name for something else. I would not want to have a surname like "Anini OR Dimka" neither.[/size] undecided
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by tpiah: 10:56pm On Aug 22, 2010
oluwabamis:

please keep quiet before you embarass yourself further.

people like you are the reason why gays are taking over nigeria. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by bkbabe97y(m): 10:08am On Aug 23, 2010
tpiah:

please keep quiet before you embarass yourself further.

people like you are the reason why gays are taking over nigeria. undecided

lol.hahahahahahahha.roflmao
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Mafious(m): 3:01pm On Feb 21, 2011
Contrary to what you people think the Da-Rochas are Nigerians (Illesha to be precise) like my family the Munis and my Cousins the Carenas. Lopez, Salvadors etc. You would find our various lodges at the Brazilian Quarters on Lagos Island their Patriarch Joao Essan da Rocha was a captured slave who made sure Candido his millionaire son returned to Nigeria after the abolition of slave trade. To dispel rumors Candido did have sons but all went back to Brazil except Kojo who was a lawyer in the league of Awo in Ghana and his family are still revered there cause they are the single family with the most lawyers in Accra.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphotonews.sunmismartcole.com%2F%3Fp%3D61&rct=j&q=da-rocha%20nigeria%20&ei=V21iTcfaB4i48gOV7v3yCA&usg=AFQjCNH_KtyCRQtOKpybDKP8SguMyqYrxQ&cad=rja

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 3:05pm On Feb 21, 2011
It would mean they are not Nigerians then since they only came in made money and left like the Lebanese do.

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Mafious(m): 3:07pm On Feb 21, 2011
They are Nigerians Joao was from Illesha but his children could not adapt to this country more like those Naija kids born abroad.

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Kilode1: 3:39pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^ Yes he's Yoruba as far as I know. Except my mind is playing tricks on me I believe I've come across Candido Esan Da Rocha's picture in an History book before.

These Links provide some futher info into their family history for those interested. Sunmi Smart Cole called him Nigeria's first Pound Sterling/Naira Millionaire  cool

http://photonews.sunmismartcole.com/?p=61

This is a 1987 NYT story on him;

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE6DD1F30F935A15750C0A961948260

Where are all those Isale Eko people on NL to give us more info this "Black History" Month?

oops! everyday is Black History day in Naija cheesy

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Ovularia: 7:12pm On Feb 21, 2011
From todays 234next ------

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5678619-146/story.csp

The story of Brazilian Lagos
By Obidike Okafor
February 19, 2011 04:14AM
print email

The story of Lagos is never complete without mention of its significant Portuguese influence. The relevant portion of the city is made up of places like ‘Campos Square’ and ‘Brazilian Quarters’, with are spotted with historical buildings in Portuguese architectural style. This section of the city is also replete with families bearing South American names like Da Silva, Cardoso, Marinho, Faustinho and Vera Cruz. These various aspects of Lagos Island keep the Brazilian memories alive.

The Brazilian community, comprised of Yoruba descendants of returnee ex-slaves from Brazil, came together with the Lagos community and lovers of culture to celebrate their heritage in an exhibition titled ‘Letters From Africa’. The exhibition which opened at Lagos art venue, Terra Kulture on January 21 and ran till February 7, also gave families of Brazilian ancestry in Lagos the opportunity to reach out to unknown relatives in Brazil with goodwill messages and pictures of their descendants on this side of the divide.

The Brazillian deputy Consulate-General, Caesario Alexandria shared his thoughts with journalists at the beginning of the event. “The idea of the exhibition is to tell the stories of the older generation to the younger ones; and to tell them how they got their surnames and the stories behind their families,” he said.

“It also tells the story of former slaves that left Brazil and returned to Africa. There are still Brazilians in Brazil with strong African influence. The idea is to keep the heritage alive,” the Consulate-General added.

On entering the venue, one was presented with the historical timelines - the journey to the Americas and back again - with pictures. This was followed by large pictures depicting many aspects of life that link the two nations, from language to food to architecture to culture. There was also a section for the families. Though the presentation was not as large as the others, it allowed the families the opportunity to share their familial histories. Some of the pictures were shot by the families themselves and so came across as amateurish, but this did not detract from the human value added to the exhibition.

There was also a pictorial presentation titled ‘Letters’ that displayed simple messages from the Africans in Brazil to their relatives in Nigeria Lessons learnt The exhibition showed in many ways the relationship between the two communities. Akara and Garri are two foods common among them. The famous Shitta-Bey mosque with its high walls, gardens, courtyards and balconies was built by Portuguese-influenced Brazilians settlers.

Though mostly Catholics, the returnees had influences from traditional Yoruba religion and Islam. The timeline also testified to the Islamic presence, as it revealed that the first mosque was built by Joao da Costa in 1894.

Brazilian descendants also had the opportunity to send their good wishes via video across the seas to their relatives. An elderly woman whose great grandparents left Bahia in Brazil for Nigeria decades ago and who gave her name simply as Mrs. Ige, said she was happy that the Brazilian consulate had thought about organising the event.

Eloisa Moura, a Brazilian national who teaches Portuguese culture at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, also commended the show. “There is a common history between Nigeria and Brazil. I hope that this will mark the beginning of an exchange between Nigeria and Brazil. I hope in the future we will be able to organise more events that will allow inter-cultural dialogue,” she said.

Bahia, which has the highest number of blacks in Brazil, is full of people who still have most of their African traits intact, while their relations in Nigeria have their names, as reminders of the strong links; making this a pertinent and worthwhile exhibition for all who saw it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by ektbear: 5:23am On Jun 18, 2011
The 234next article was very interesting. Nice thread, guys.

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Aare1(m): 7:17am On Jun 18, 2011
The Da Rocha's still exist, my family friend is a relative of the family, i am aware that she and a lot of family members here in naija went to Ghana in 2009 or so for the burial of one of their uncle's or so. That particular obituary was even in the papers.

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Adememu(f): 1:29am On Nov 13, 2014
The man, Da Rocha actually had 'son(s)' there was however a change of name by one of his descendants.
http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/index.php?topic=14081.0
Has the interview of his greatgranddaughter. Here is an excerpt:

For you to have two degrees in the early 50s, you must have come from a well-to-do family.

Oh yes. My father died while we were young, though that did not affect our education. He was Fredrick Mobolaji Benson. I was born Abimbola Benson. But later, my father changed to Ladipo Mobolaji Abisogun Afodu.

What informed the change?

He said he didn’t like to have any English name. It was during the youth movement era. My father’s grandfather was the late Da Rocha.

Was it the famous Da Rocha who was said to have fabulous wealth?

Yes, he was the one.

So, how is it being a Da Rocha descendant?

I don’t feel anything special about it. I live a normal life and I love to help people whenever I can.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by gabng(m): 1:45am On Nov 13, 2014
johnie:
Sorry about the wrong spelling in my first post.

The school is called ADRAO and I think it was founded in 1963.

One of the As in the name stands for Afodu.

Abimbola Da Rocha Omololu Afodu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by gabng(m): 1:57am On Nov 13, 2014
IN NIGERIA, TOUCHES OF BRAZILIAN STYLE
By JAMES BROOKE
Published: March 26, 1987

Email
Print

IN this century Lagos has become a grimy metropolis of five million people, but pockets of what are known here as Brazilian houses still exist in quirky contrast to later local building styles, including colonial-issue British homes with deep verandas and overhanging eaves and oil-boom skyscrapers, faithful imitations of their Manhattan models.

Nigeria's Brazilian architecture is a legacy of the thousands of freed slaves who returned to West Africa in the 19th century. Trained as carpenters, cabinetmakers, masons and bricklayers in Brazil and borrowing from the baroque styles popular in Brazil through the 18th century, these freedmen stamped their exuberant and individualistic style on doorways, brightly painted facades and chunky concrete columns.

In recent years, the steady march of skyscrapers has spurred local residents to form a fledgling historic preservation movement, a rarity for an African city.

''We are concerned that the Brazilian houses are not only running down but might be destroyed,'' said Ike Ikwueme, curator of the National Museum. An inventory of Lagos historical sites, completed by a state committee last June, found that several Brazilian houses are under serious threat of demolition.

''Nobody cares about them,'' said Alan Vaughan-Richards, a Lagos architect who helped compile the inventory. ''They get rundown, and then people pull them down,''

Indeed, the concept of preserving old buildings has yet to become deeply rooted in this society, where half the population is under the age of 15. With its open sewers, shortage of public parks and disfiguring highway overpasses, Lagos seems to have benefited little from modern urban planning.

In other West African cities the brightly colored panels and delicate floral plaster motifs of the Brazilian artisans have survived in part because of local economic stagnation and in part because of the pride of the owners. The style can be found today in a crescent of West African nations, marking the points where freedmen landed in the 19th century: Freetown in Sierra Leone, Cotonou and Porto Novo in Benin and Badagri, Lagos and Calabar in Nigeria.

''They were determined to come home, and they were forced into high discipline,'' Angelica Yewande Oyediran said. ''They easily outshone the people at home.''

Mrs. Oyediran lives in Water House, one of the few two-story Brazilian buildings still standing in downtown Lagos today. On one wall hangs a dignified portrait of her mustachioed great-grandfather Joao Essan da Rocha.

Mr. da Rocha, a native of Ilesha, Nigeria, was captured by slave traders in the 1850's as he walked to a missionary school, Mrs. Oyediran said. Taken to Brazil, he eventually became a prosperous trader in Salvador. In 1870, he returned to Nigeria, settling in Lagos, and quickly built a small fortune plying the lucrative South Atlantic trade routes.

When Mr. da Rocha - and other prosperous 19th-century Nigerian merchants - wanted to build houses to match their means, they turned to the local community of Brazilian artisans. Freed Brazilian slaves had started returning to Nigeria in the late 1830's. By 1880, out of a population of 37,458, Lagos had 3,221 Brazilians and 111 Europeans.

''If you had any work to do, you called on a Brazilian descendant to make sure it was done right,'' Mrs. Oyediran said.

Water House, which has suffered from remodeling by later generations, still bears many touches of the Brazilian craftsmen: leafy plaster flourishes in the corners of the parlor ceiling and wrought-iron balustrades on the second-floor balcony.

The Brazilian stamp is most evident in the modest, whimsical houses that survive, both in downtown Lagos and across Lagos Lagoon in the old suburb of Ebute Metta, in contrast to indigenous building styles.

''Traditional Yoruba buildings have very plain, flat mud walls that are sometimes whitewashed,'' said Richard E. Ammann, an American living here and a former professor at the University of Nigeria. ''It was the Brazilians who brought in this ornate styling, the rounded doorways and windows, the pointed tops.''

On a recent Sunday morning, Ayo Vaughan-Richards took advantage of the weekly lull in Lagos traffic to take a visitor on a Brazilian architectural tour. Mrs. Vaughan-Richards, who grew up in a Brazilian house, is the descendant of an American slave of Nigerian origin who was freed in Camden, S.C., in 1825.

Starting down Martins Street, the tour stopped in front of the Shitta Mosque. Built in 1894 by Joao Baptista da Costa, the mosque presents an eclectic facade of baroque scalloped scrolls and Ottoman Empire pinnacles topped with stars and crescents.

In 1880, a Brazilian cabinetmaker, Balthazar dos Reis, carved the ornate woodwork of the high altar, throne and pulpit of the Holy Cross Cathedral on Catholic Mission Street. The cathedral's floral motifs were molded by two Brazilian master masons, Lazarus Borges da Silva and Francisco Nobre. One of the finest late Brazilian houses stands on Odunfa Street. Built in 1913 for A. W. U. Thomas, a Lagos auctioneer, the three-story building features pineapple-topped columns and is covered with ornate plasterwork. Today, however, it is a dilapidated tenement.

Indeed, the tour included references to lost preservation battles. Elephant House, a residence that had its namesake molded in plaster over a third-story bay window, has been torn down. And on the site of the city's old Brazilian-style central mosque rise concrete minarets of a modern mosque. ''Everyone pleaded with them to go to a new site, but down it came,'' Mr. Vaughan-Richards said.

Not all Brazilian buildings have suffered this fate. The tour ended at 29 Kakawa Street, the house where Mrs. Vaughan-Richards was born.

''It looks almost as good as when I was growing up,'' she said. With its baroque doorway and ornamented windows, the Vaughan house has been carefully restored and is now used for office space by a Lagos architectural firm.

SAuCE na New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/26/garden/in-nigeria-touches-of-brazilian-style.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by ikweremilitant: 2:33am On Nov 13, 2014
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Don't u think it is good as Nigerians to know your history. I never knew the supply of pipe borne water was done by one person in the past. One can see that private enterprise pays. Today the goverment owns and runs everything they cannot even supply water, Electricity OR Gas.

I pray we go back to the old ways of doing things. Private ownership of utility companies is the norm in advance countries, Nigeria should retrace her developmental step backwards to that humble beginning and start correcting the loopsided contraptions and anomalies we have today[/size].
if you believe any jankara and toronto history coming frm the s.w, then u must believe that shekau is a chinease man....yorubas distorting history since 11 bc
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 22, 2015
Nice thread
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 22, 2015
gabng:

By JAMES BROOKE

Email
Print

IN this century Lagos has become a grimy metropolis of five million people, but pockets of what are known here as Brazilian houses still exist in quirky contrast to later local building styles, including colonial-issue British homes with deep verandas and overhanging eaves and oil-boom skyscrapers, faithful imitations of their Manhattan models.

Nigeria's Brazilian architecture is a legacy of the thousands of freed slaves who returned to West Africa in the 19th century. Trained as carpenters, cabinetmakers, masons and bricklayers in Brazil and borrowing from the baroque styles popular in Brazil through the 18th century, these freedmen stamped their exuberant and individualistic style on doorways, brightly painted facades and chunky concrete columns.

In recent years, the steady march of skyscrapers has spurred local residents to form a fledgling historic preservation movement, a rarity for an African city.

''We are concerned that the Brazilian houses are not only running down but might be destroyed,'' said Ike Ikwueme, curator of the National Museum. An inventory of Lagos historical sites, completed by a state committee last June, found that several Brazilian houses are under serious threat of demolition.

''Nobody cares about them,'' said Alan Vaughan-Richards, a Lagos architect who helped compile the inventory. ''They get rundown, and then people pull them down,''

Indeed, the concept of preserving old buildings has yet to become deeply rooted in this society, where half the population is under the age of 15. With its open sewers, shortage of public parks and disfiguring highway overpasses, Lagos seems to have benefited little from modern urban planning.

In other West African cities the brightly colored panels and delicate floral plaster motifs of the Brazilian artisans have survived in part because of local economic stagnation and in part because of the pride of the owners. The style can be found today in a crescent of West African nations, marking the points where freedmen landed in the 19th century: Freetown in Sierra Leone, Cotonou and Porto Novo in Benin and Badagri, Lagos and Calabar in Nigeria.

''They were determined to come home, and they were forced into high discipline,'' Angelica Yewande Oyediran said. ''They easily outshone the people at home.''

Mrs. Oyediran lives in Water House, one of the few two-story Brazilian buildings still standing in downtown Lagos today. On one wall hangs a dignified portrait of her mustachioed great-grandfather Joao Essan da Rocha.

Mr. da Rocha, a native of Ilesha, Nigeria, was captured by slave traders in the 1850's as he walked to a missionary school, Mrs. Oyediran said. Taken to Brazil, he eventually became a prosperous trader in Salvador. In 1870, he returned to Nigeria, settling in Lagos, and quickly built a small fortune plying the lucrative South Atlantic trade routes.

When Mr. da Rocha - and other prosperous 19th-century Nigerian merchants - wanted to build houses to match their means, they turned to the local community of Brazilian artisans. Freed Brazilian slaves had started returning to Nigeria in the late 1830's. By 1880, out of a population of 37,458, Lagos had 3,221 Brazilians and 111 Europeans.

''If you had any work to do, you called on a Brazilian descendant to make sure it was done right,'' Mrs. Oyediran said.

Water House, which has suffered from remodeling by later generations, still bears many touches of the Brazilian craftsmen: leafy plaster flourishes in the corners of the parlor ceiling and wrought-iron balustrades on the second-floor balcony.

The Brazilian stamp is most evident in the modest, whimsical houses that survive, both in downtown Lagos and across Lagos Lagoon in the old suburb of Ebute Metta, in contrast to indigenous building styles.

''Traditional Yoruba buildings have very plain, flat mud walls that are sometimes whitewashed,'' said Richard E. Ammann, an American living here and a former professor at the University of Nigeria. ''It was the Brazilians who brought in this ornate styling, the rounded doorways and windows, the pointed tops.''

On a recent Sunday morning, Ayo Vaughan-Richards took advantage of the weekly lull in Lagos traffic to take a visitor on a Brazilian architectural tour. Mrs. Vaughan-Richards, who grew up in a Brazilian house, is the descendant of an American slave of Nigerian origin who was freed in Camden, S.C., in 1825.

Starting down Martins Street, the tour stopped in front of the Shitta Mosque. Built in 1894 by Joao Baptista da Costa, the mosque presents an eclectic facade of baroque scalloped scrolls and Ottoman Empire pinnacles topped with stars and crescents.

In 1880, a Brazilian cabinetmaker, Balthazar dos Reis, carved the ornate woodwork of the high altar, throne and pulpit of the Holy Cross Cathedral on Catholic Mission Street. The cathedral's floral motifs were molded by two Brazilian master masons, Lazarus Borges da Silva and Francisco Nobre. One of the finest late Brazilian houses stands on Odunfa Street. Built in 1913 for A. W. U. Thomas, a Lagos auctioneer, the three-story building features pineapple-topped columns and is covered with ornate plasterwork. Today, however, it is a dilapidated tenement.

Indeed, the tour included references to lost preservation battles. Elephant House, a residence that had its namesake molded in plaster over a third-story bay window, has been torn down. And on the site of the city's old Brazilian-style central mosque rise concrete minarets of a modern mosque. ''Everyone pleaded with them to go to a new site, but down it came,'' Mr. Vaughan-Richards said.

Not all Brazilian buildings have suffered this fate. The tour ended at 29 Kakawa Street, the house where Mrs. Vaughan-Richards was born.

''It looks almost as good as when I was growing up,'' she said. With its baroque doorway and ornamented windows, the Vaughan house has been carefully restored and is now used for office space by a Lagos architectural firm.

SAuCE na New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/26/garden/in-nigeria-touches-of-brazilian-style.html
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 3:16pm On Aug 16, 2015
It has come to light rather lately, that Dantata had all those Groundnut pyramids in d 1920's and also Ojukwu's father was d wealthest Nigerian in d 1950's who then was d first Nigerian millionaire between Dantata, Ojukwu and Da Rocha!!!
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 19, 2015
Mafious:
They are Nigerians Joao was from Illesha but his children could not adapt to this country more like those Naija kids born abroad.

Can Brazil be compared to Europe n America in the 18-19th century? Not until the late 70s n 80s Brazil was way behind Nigeria.

Also Esan Da Rocha had only a Son when he returned to Nigeria as freed slave. He was a poor man who lives in a wooden house close to beach. He suddenly became rich after the death of the wife Angelica who died in a controversial circumstance. His son(candido) later became mega rich after d mysterious disappearance of his father(esan) and candido gave birth to all his kids in Nigeria. The surviving son of candido da Rocha later moved to Ghana which was poorer than Nigeria for reasons best known to him. The daughters remained here and were married to different families.

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by vivalavida(m): 10:51am On Sep 19, 2015
opal4real:

Can Brazil be compared to Europe n America in the 18-19th century? Not until the late 70s n 80s Brazil was way behind Nigeria.

Also Esan Da Rocha had only a Son when he returned to Nigeria as freed slave. He was a poor man who lives in a wooden house close to beach. He suddenly became rich after the death of the wife Angelica who died in a controversial circumstance. His son(candido) later became mega rich after d mysterious disappearance of his father(esan) and candido gave birth to all his kids in Nigeria. The surviving son of candido da Rocha later moved to Ghana which was poorer than Nigeria for reasons best known to him. The daughters remained here and were married to different families.

blood money things
the father used his wife for rituals and became rich
son now used his dad for a higher form of ritual and became richer.
the money was spent on owambe.
only that ADRAO school is a reminder of their existence.
that is why they are yolobas
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Babanah: 12:19pm On Sep 19, 2015
Adrao is the name of our school
There is a wealth of leaning .....
It is our aim as the best school in town...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by josite: 10:01am On Nov 01, 2015
they are very much in Nigeria.one of them was a distinguished professor at unilag.i will not know whether he is still at unilag or not.i guess quite a number of them keeps a low profile same way as the sons of mko abiola are presently doing.as the yolobas says OWO O NIRAN.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by XAUBulls: 3:54pm On Aug 15, 2023
Mafious:
Contrary to what you people think the Da-Rochas are Nigerians (Illesha to be precise) like my family the Munis and my Cousins the Carenas. Lopez, Salvadors etc. You would find our various lodges at the Brazilian Quarters on Lagos Island their Patriarch Joao Essan da Rocha was a captured slave who made sure Candido his millionaire son returned to Nigeria after the abolition of slave trade. To dispel rumors Candido did have sons but all went back to Brazil except Kojo who was a lawyer in the league of Awo in Ghana and his family are still revered there cause they are the single family with the most lawyers in Accra.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphotonews.sunmismartcole.com%2F%3Fp%3D61&rct=j&q=da-rocha%20nigeria%20&ei=V21iTcfaB4i48gOV7v3yCA&usg=AFQjCNH_KtyCRQtOKpybDKP8SguMyqYrxQ&cad=rja
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by XAUBulls: 7:00pm On Aug 19, 2023
gabng:

By JAMES BROOKE

Email
Print

Impressive! A 1987 article on
Lagos Island history from
New York Times.

Cc: Sukkot

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by jara: 7:37pm On Aug 19, 2023
There are also three important families of Lagosians whose prominent sons were buried at the center of Lagos near old Layeni Street leading to Broad Street. Traders have surrounded and obscured the tombstones.

1. Ojo Ogun Martins whose tomb was removed from the Street British Governor Glover in Lagos named after him and reburied near Bristlo Hotel

2. Taiwo Olowo, a prominent merchant like Ogun Martins that was well respected for his contributions

3. Dr. Maja, another professional contributor in Lagos of those days.

Their children, like other Lagosian families live very quietly and humbly since they have nothing to prove. They do not take part in politics because they believe it has been invaded by riff-raff.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by sukkot: 8:43pm On Aug 19, 2023
XAUBulls:

Impressive! A 1987 article on
Lagos Island history from
New York Times.

Cc: Sukkot

luvly jubly buddy. salute

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by favor914: 8:44pm On Aug 19, 2023
johnie:
His daughter was the proprietress of ADRAO school beside NTA at Victoria Island.

I think the the name of the school comes from her name - Abimbola Da Rocha Afodu Omololu.

She presented the queen with flowers at the airport when the queen visited Nigeria in the 50s.
Wow, good to know, Adrao International.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Christistruth03: 10:05pm On Aug 19, 2023
johnie:
His daughter was the proprietress of ADRAO school beside NTA at Victoria Island.

I think the the name of the school comes from her name - Abimbola Da Rocha Afodu Omololu.

She presented the queen with flowers at the airport when the queen visited Nigeria in the 50s.

Da Rocha had 2 daughters

One married into the Thomas family

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by DrAkpa(m): 12:39am On Aug 20, 2023
I guess rituals and blood money didn't start today
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by johnie: 6:00pm On Aug 20, 2023
Christistruth03:

Da Rocha had 2 daughters

One married into the Thomas family

Thanks for the update!
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by delpee(f): 7:39pm On Aug 20, 2023
DrAkpa:

I guess rituals and blood money didn't start today

I learnt that he sold water as one of his businesses hence the Water House. He also dealt in real estate. It doesn't have to be rituals.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Commissions Nigeria Immigration Center In South Africa (photos) / Killers Of Christopher Dega, Ortom’s Aide Arrested / UKRAINE: Reno Omokri Disagrees With David Hundeyin, FFK Over Racism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.