Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,705 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married (6174 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Woman Spotted Eating Amala On A Train In The UK / Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles / Nigerian Woman Are More Beautiful Then East Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by britgirlee(f): 3:17am On Aug 21, 2010
Hi Guys

So there you have it, you've reached the big 40 and your not married. No particular reason just the right man has not come along.
Ive noticed a lot of women are getting to their late 30's early 40's and are not married but still have faith in the system to meet marry and start a family

Do you bow to pressure and marry the first man that comes your way.

Do you feel pressurised to join matrimonial bliss

Does culture shake its head in shame at you,

views please

1 Like

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by keeptalkin(m): 8:54pm On Aug 21, 2010
am 45 and still not married. i don't really know why to be honest. So how old are you britgirlee and are you single as well? smiley

1 Like

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by mutter(f): 12:03am On Aug 22, 2010
many women that don´t get married on time are still looking for mr.right.
Only Mr. right in most case changes his name to mr.manage.
I think it is a terrible mistake most women make to wait for an already made man or to have very unrealistic standards.
Also many of these women get carried away with career and are not able to reconcile that with marriage.
I see many women even in this forum with ideas of equality but unfortunately it does not work out that way in real life.
Getting married is no easy task and because marriage is taken so seriously in Nigeria most men are not willing to rush into a marriage that they think they might regret.
While women are striving towards equality most men are still searching for the good old fashioned qualities in a wife, like respect, submission, faithfulness etc.
And yes a married woman has more respect.
I personally have the greatest respect, not for married women or single parents but for single parents. Raising a child alone and doing it well, is real hard job.

1 Like

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by Nija4Life(m): 11:49am On Aug 22, 2010
mutter:

While women are striving towards equality most men are still searching for the good old fashioned qualities in a wife, like respect, submission, faithfulness etc.

The above statement is a brutal reality that there is a seeming widening of the gap between so called equality which in reality may not exist and in your own words the "good old fashioned qualities" which in my opinion are deeply rooted in culture. Marriage is not a lifestyle choice (at least in African tradition) as some may think but an institution which requires traditional and spiritual commitments to flourish.
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by MissyB1(m): 9:31am On Aug 23, 2010
Nija4Life:

Marriage is not a lifestyle choice (at least in African tradition) as some may think
I'll pretend I understand what You actually mean.

Nija4Life:

but an institution which requires traditional and spiritual commitments to flourish.
Can You explain what ''traditional and spiritual commitments'' means, please?
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by Nija4Life(m): 12:13pm On Aug 23, 2010
Missy B:

I'll pretend I understand what You actually mean.

You do not have to pretend you understand what I mean if you don't ~ you only need to ask. Marriage is an expectation from man and God for the purposes of love and procreation.

Missy B:

Can You explain what ''traditional and spiritual commitments'' means, please?

By traditional commitments I mean practices that have been handed down to us through generations and marriage is one of them. Spiritual commitments (assuming you are a Christian) means God's command in the Bible for a man and a woman to leave their parents and joined together in marriage.
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by zenatta: 11:47pm On Aug 23, 2010
@ POSTER
Me, I am cool and having a lotta fun. I have seen people destroyed nay the word is deformed because of the compulsion to marry. In desperation they make huge mistakes. Mistakes that last a life time but phew! are they glad they got rid of the bugger.

Marriage will happen if you want it to. You have got to put in a lot of effort especially if you are female. I hate that I just said that but its true. Sometimes you have to quit being yourself if you want it bad. As for me I don't, though the loneliness does hit hard sometimes. I do believe that if I would I will. So no sweat. Besides there is cable, the Internet, the occasional phone call in my cell, food, money and the Bible. Being a single parent is a huge bonus.

mutter:

I think it is a terrible mistake most women make to wait for an already made man or to have very unrealistic standards.
Also many of these women get carried away with career and are not able to reconcile that with marriage.
I see many women with ideas of equality but unfortunately it does not work out that way in real life.
Getting married is no easy task
I personally have the greatest respect, not for married women or single parents but for single parents. Raising a child alone and doing it well, is real hard job.

I do totally agree with these points. Men want the works, faithfulness et al. They want to be the focus and in charge and lets face it there is nothing like equality between the sexes. Modern women dream on! As for Mr. Right , y'all better settle for the bird in hand and make him right.

2 Likes

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by britgirlee(f): 1:48pm On Aug 24, 2010
mutter:

many women that don´t get married on time are still looking for mr.right.
Only Mr. right in most case changes his name to mr.manage.
I see many women even in this forum with ideas of equality but unfortunately it does not work out that way in real life.
Getting married is no easy task and because marriage is taken so seriously in Nigeria most men are not willing to rush into a marriage that they think they might regret.
And yes a married woman has more respect.

well said, points raised are so to the point, Its also intresting to note women are settling for the " hell do for nowman" or "hell do" man

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by britgirlee(f): 1:50pm On Aug 24, 2010
zenatta:

@ POSTER
Me, I am cool and having a lotta fun. I have seen people destroyed nay the word is deformed because of the compulsion to marry. In desperation they make huge mistakes. Mistakes that last a life time but phew! are they glad they got rid of the bugger.

Marriage will happen if you want it to. You have got to put in a lot of effort especially if you are female. I hate that I just said that but its true. Sometimes you have to quit being yourself if you want it bad. As for me I don't, though the loneliness does hit hard sometimes. I do believe that if I would I will. So no sweat. Besides there is cable, the Internet, the occasional phone call in my cell, food, money and the Bible. Being a single parent is a huge bonus.

I do totally agree with these points. Men want the works, faithfulness et al. They want to be the focus and in charge and lets face it there is nothing like equality between the sexes. Modern women dream on! As for Mr. Right , y'all better settle for the bird in hand and make him right.

Couldnt of said it better myself
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by gem70: 4:36pm On Aug 25, 2010
i guess one just has to make the hard choice, career or marriage? few would be lucky to get both
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by InkedNerd(f): 7:28pm On Aug 25, 2010
Must a woman get married and have children? If they are content with their life like that then that is up to them.

1 Like

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by zenatta: 12:37pm On Aug 28, 2010
gem70:

i guess one just has to make the hard choice, career or marriage? few would be lucky to get both

a mon avis, make sure you are one of that ''few' cos it is really ,

Inked_Nerd:

Must a woman get married and have children? If they are content with their life like that then that is up to them.

lonely without children and a man. I tell myself who needs those men, truth is I have had enough, but sometimes the Internet is what it really is, faceless and cold and the books I love love love reading will end one day abi, and my daughter will one day go off to perform her own life and the Bible? does disown my lifestyle, ''it is not good that woman should be alone'', ''a three fold cord , , ''it is better that two walk together '' and on and on

But truth, I am taking all I can take selfishly now, cos when a broda eventually invades my life (ok, a better less hostile word), occupies my life its going to be all about him, ''have you darned my socks'', ''where is my food'', ''come and clean my poo'', and on and on. I can still wait abeg

2 Likes

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by Shinatu: 10:10am On Sep 03, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

No, It is not a must, but the society(If you live in Nigeria) will make sure that you are not content with your life, they will make it a living hell for you, the humiliation will kill you, even in the Church.

This is what is making many men who are not fit for marriage to have wives in their houses, the women would rather marry them like that than to end up single.

I remember when people used to say a girl's happiest day is her wedding day, but look around you these days , you will see many brides who are finding it difficult to even smile for the camera, they will tell you it's the wedding stress.

If they are lucky, the kids come quickly and make the marriage bearable,or end up finding out the man is not that bad afterall.

Believe me, it is still a man's world

1 Like

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by allycat: 8:06pm On Sep 04, 2010
I am happily married, thank God. But I know so many women who are married and say the only joy they have is their children. And dont say it is only this generation, many mothers in law who disturb their childrens marriages do so because they and their husbands no longer have anything in common and their childrens lives are the only things they have to hang on to. And since they dont have a close relationshi with their husbands they want to hold on to their sons or daughters. Anytime yoy hear someone has a lovely mother in law check their back ground and you will see that the parents in law had a good marriage. No woman who is happy in her husbands house will want to leave him at home and come and live with her children, even if he is sick she would rather be by his side. If he is dead and her home had good memories, she would prefer to stay there and leave her children to enjoy their own marriages.

1 Like

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by InkedNerd(f): 9:23pm On Sep 04, 2010
zenatta:

a mon avis, make sure you are one of that ''few' cos it is really ,

lonely without children and a man. I tell myself who needs those men, truth is I have had enough, but sometimes the Internet is what it really is, faceless and cold and the books I love love love reading will end one day abi, and my daughter will one day go off to perform her own life and the Bible? does disown my lifestyle, ''it is not good that woman should be alone'', ''a three fold cord , , ''it is better that two walk together '' and on and on

But truth, I am taking all I can take selfishly now, cos when a broda eventually invades my life (ok, a better less hostile word), occupies my life its going to be all about him, ''have you darned my socks'', ''where is my food'', ''come and clean my poo'', and on and on. I can still wait abeg
Shinatu:

No, It is not a must, but the society(If you live in Nigeria) will make sure that you are not content with your life, they will make it a living hell for you, the humiliation will kill you, even in the Church.

This is what is making many men who are not fit for marriage to have wives in their houses, the women would rather marry them like that than to end up single.

I remember when people used to say a girl's happiest day is her wedding day, but look around you these days , you will see many brides who are finding it difficult to even smile for the camera, they will tell you it's the wedding stress.

If they are lucky, the kids come quickly and make the marriage bearable,or end up finding out the man is not that bad afterall.

Believe me, it is still a man's world

I'm sorry but I'm not one of those women that will allow societal beliefs to strong arm me into marriage or dictate how I live my life.

1 Like

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by tRoOE(f): 5:10am On Sep 06, 2010
Marriage is not for everyone undecided
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by Big2bore(m): 10:04am On Sep 06, 2010
This is a very interesting topic. As 4me i tink must mistake we make is that, we dont do the right thing at the right time. We want to pleass our selfs bass on the decision we make, every man or woman want a good thing, but dont want to work for it ! Another thing is some ladies discourage some men with dear mode of dressing, forgetting that dear mode of dressing goes a long way to tell people who they are. For me ladies, or a woman still looking for the right man must first work on her self first.
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by Survivor9: 7:58pm On Sep 08, 2010
Many girls who come online are still kids. Miss Independence, Miss Westernized is just a front. Most of them will worship a man if they're lucky to have one.

@zennata,
U're lucky , at least u have a kid. Many modern day women will die childless because of their unrealistic expectations about relationships. Hard as it sounds, it's still a man's world. Many have learned too late.
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by Gamine(f): 8:11pm On Sep 08, 2010
It would be a bit difficult even if she is 100% happy,
because we are yet to mature in this world and break out
of the 'keeping up with the Alakijas' mould.

Even women in their 20s are having a hard time,
Those in their 30s are on 'Sale' and 'Clearance' mode,

1 Like

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by tRoOE(f): 3:24am On Sep 14, 2010
Survivor9:

Many girls who come online are still kids. Miss Independence, Miss Westernized is just a front. Most of them will worship a man if they're lucky to have one.

OUCHHHHHHH cry cry cry
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by keeptalkin(m): 6:51pm On Aug 14, 2011
Life iş a cycle you are born you live then you die and in order for that cycle to be complete you need to produce children in order for the cycle od life to continue. Besides who are you going to give all all your assets and property to when you die no be your children? Or somebody else's children?
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by tpia5: 5:06am On Aug 15, 2011
I remember when people used to say a girl's happiest day is her wedding day, but look around you these days , you will see many brides who are finding it difficult to even smile for the camera, they will tell you it's the wedding stress

times have indeed changed.
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by Abagworo(m): 9:29am On Aug 15, 2011
As a Nigerian that lives in Nigeria and understands the society I live in,I have this to say.Any man that is above 35 and still single is in trouble.Any woman that is above 30 and still single is in deep ish.Our society does not tolerate single adulthood even our parents.

There has been an increased bachelorhood and spinsterhood age amongst Nigerians in the more developed cities of Abuja and Lagos but those people will be full of shame if they step into their villages and home towns.

1 Like

Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by ifyalways(f): 11:22am On Aug 15, 2011
Gamine:

It would be a bit difficult even if she is 100% happy,
because we are yet to mature in this world and break out
of the 'keeping up with the Alakijas' mould.

Couldn't help but lol
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by NegroNtns(m): 11:48am On Aug 15, 2011
Hmmm!
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by thoniann(m): 11:18pm On May 12, 2012
ALL THESE WOMEN WHO CLAIM NOT TO BE BOTHERED ABOUT MARRIAGE AND HAVING KIDS... I Greatly Pity Your Old Age. when You Are Grey,wrinkled and senile, you would wish your child or grand child were around to give some support. you May Feel That The Money You Are Amassing now will fetch you a nanny at old age... i Dey laff. if e nor be panadol e nor fit be like panadol. and Make You Remember Say Nanny or maid go go christmas ooo. then You Will Be Left With Your Mastercard, visacard and your shit. no kids.
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by Olauk(f): 4:02pm On Mar 09, 2013
Survivor9: Many girls who come online are still kids. Miss Independence, Miss Westernized is just a front. Most of them will worship a man if they're lucky to have one.

@zennata,
U're lucky , at least u have a kid. Many modern day women will die childless because of their unrealistic expectations about relationships. Hard as it sounds, it's still a man's world. Many have learned too late.

I'm 38 never been married but have children. And it infuriates me when people say@its ok for you as you have children," children are a blessing but can also prevent some men from wanting a relationship with you.
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by emilyone(f): 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2013
Olauk:

I'm 38 never been married but have children. And it infuriates me when people say@its ok for you as you have children," children are a blessing but can also prevent some men from wanting a relationship with you.
but why is it that some men hate to have anything to do with single ladies with kid(s)? undecided
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by anonymous6(f): 1:13am On Mar 15, 2013
Gamine:

c/s 100%
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by tpia5: 3:17am On Mar 15, 2013
i think the average marrying age these days is in the 25+ range.

more women marry at 25 and above, than not, for those who marry.

some will marry at 30+, many men are also marrying at later ages (30 and above), so there it is, i suppose.

women in olden days also tended to marry at around 25+, unless they werent educated, in which case they married earlier say around 18 and above.

just speaking generally, could be wrong.
Re: The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married by Denise216(f): 6:30am On Mar 15, 2013
It's usually smarter for a women over 40 to diversify her dating pool; color, ethnic group, Western, etc.

A few perks for doing so:
No overbearing/intrusive Mother In Law
No cultural rut (most people only cite culture when its convenient, trust me)
No pretenses, so you can be yourself

Being black takes 10 years off the appearance, even more if the lady is fit. She could use her age to her advantage by being cultured, wise, and self aware-something few younger woman can pull off. No need for a cautionary tale spun by passive aggressive men.

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Lettering / Miss Akwa Ibom Beauty Queen Dies Under Strange Shocking Situations / Nigerian Pride Pictures :)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.