Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1209644 members, 1563681 topics. Date: Thursday, 24 July 2014 at 10:42 PM

Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World - Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics / Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World (9285 Views)

Is There Racism In England? / Racism In Ghana-how I Was Almost Killed / Have You Ever Experienced Racism In Yankee? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by initiator(m): 12:39am On Jul 03, 2007
Wow @ hero i dont know if its the same naija i know. I guess u could be called whitey in benin cos of the accent but i dont even know the word akata. I heard it first on this forum in my whole life! I also greatly doubt if the average market girl in naija would know what an AA means.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by Angelheart: 1:46pm On Jul 04, 2007
Racism inNigeria the worst in the world Have you been to South Africa?

2 Likes

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by dafman(m): 3:14pm On Jul 04, 2007
initiator:

Wow @ hero i don't know if its the same naija i know. I guess u could be called whitey in benin because of the accent but i don't even know the word akata. I heard it first on this forum in my whole life! I also greatly doubt if the average market girl in naija would know what an AA means.

Same with me too, first time i heard the word Akata was on this forum. I don't know where Hero heard somebody in naija calling him Akata, nobody knows the meaning here. It is from this forum i know that it's what Nigerians in America call Black Americans.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by thecavsman: 6:25pm On Jul 04, 2007
A white guy complains of racism when he goes to an all black country. How about I just complain about how I feel when I go to a rich town around here in America and try to look around the store, or in any American place for that matter. I am not beaten by anyone, but if I had something that they really wanted (which this white guy did, having money around poor people) then I am sure I'd be beaten all the time too.

Give me a break. You know what the difference is? This European guy gets to go back home to a safe England and had a bad day. The people that robbed him in Nigeria have no health care, live in extreme poverty, and have a low comparitive life expectancy, they needed the money they got. And this guy complains that he gets to leave Nigeria with a little scar and a few less dollars. Is he racist, or is the world racist? A world that lets people live like this. A world that doesn't let the Africans that mugged him produce finished goods for consumption because they'd profit too much. He gets to live a better life 10-fold what these guys live, yet he STILL complains. ANd he acts as if whites haven't done anything bad in Nigeria. Was murder and colonization in Africa not racist?

And about the people standing around laughing, would he have intervened in a bunch of "thugs" were beating up someone that he is jealous of? I highly doubt it.

Get a life.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by blonde1(f): 11:09am On Jul 05, 2007
thecavsman:

A white guy complains of racism when he goes to an all black country. How about I just complain about how I feel when I go to a rich town around here in America and try to look around the store, or in any American place for that matter. I am not beaten by anyone, but if I had something that they really wanted (which this white guy did, having money around poor people) then I am sure I'd be beaten all the time too.

Give me a break.

Good point. This reminds me of a forum someone showed to me a while ago, I do not remember its address anymore. It was a forum of English teachers who went to S. Korea to teach there. They were native speakers and I guess they were all white. S. Korea is a very isolated country, there are few foreigners and few Koreans travelled abroad, the culture is unique and Koreans are proud of it.

And the English teachers suffered a lot, as they complained themselves on that forum. They were stared at like they were exotic animals anywhere they went, the cultural differences and treating them in a way they either disliked or misunderstood (but which was ok in terms of Korean culture) was extremely frustrating for them. They suffered emotional problems, there was even one suicide among them. And, mind you, they were respected in that society as teachers and it wasn't the case of being seen as someone worse.

Somebody, I guess it was another Viewer, registered there and wrote them: now you have a taste of what minorities go through in your countries. Good that somebody wrote it, or I would feel compelled to register there and write that. They all attacked the poster and said there was no comparison and that it's not true.

White folks cannot imagine what it is like to be a minority and they are shocked and break down when they experience a fraction of what minorities experience.
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by vronnie(f): 4:18am On Jul 10, 2007
just recently i was called Akata by a nigerian woman and that was here in the us i did not know what it meant but i knew it was not good when my b/f started fussing and said lets go ,he then explained it to me on the drive home. it explained the dirty looks i got from her .but i still love all my black people even her who knows why she has such hatred towards afro americans.
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by Jakumo(m): 6:48am On Jul 10, 2007
Rationalizations aside, it does quickly become viscerally enraging to light-skinned visitors touring Nigeria to have people scream "white man" in the various dialects everywhere they go, and in rural areas to be trailed by hordes of children chanting really offensive songs about the perceived inferiority of lighter skin, often with the amused encouragement of their nearby parents. This special treatment is sadly VERY commonplace throughout Nigeria, with the notable and mysterious exception of areas around Benin City, where visitors are greeted cordially and with no reference to skin color.

On Lawrence's observations about the lack of compassion for accident and crime victims in Nigeria, some blame can be apportioned to the fact that Nigerian policemen do gleefully arrest, detain and extort from anyone who goes out of their way to render assistance to accident victims.   Having said that I must add that I have personally seen onlookers on Nigerian streets burst out in hysterical gales of laughter at the sight of a person falling off a motorcycle taxi and breaking bones.  A pregnant Nigerian woman detailed that experience to me once, so at least Lawrence will be relieved to hear that such callous and sadistic behavior is not reserved for foreign accident victims alone.

Finally while many may dispute this, foreign looking folks travelling Nigerian roads are perceived by many locals as being "soft",  and thus an easy mark for aggressive driving, cheating on purchases and general ridicule on the assumption that the "zoo specimen" being loudly discussed is bound to be way too silly to understand what is being said.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by superman(m): 10:05pm On Jul 10, 2007
really? oh well
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by pilgrim1(f): 9:13pm On Jul 11, 2007
It's amazing that after having travelled far and wide, Lawrence99 has used his one experience of a supposed "attack" to enlist Nigeria as the most racist country in the world. Does he really know what "racism" is??

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by Outbreed(m): 11:24am On Jul 27, 2007
I must add that I have personally seen onlookers on Nigerian streets burst out in hysterical gales of laughter at the sight of a person falling off a motorcycle taxi and breaking bones.

That's way beyond Nigeria though, people everywhere do that stuff. People slow down to see a bad traffic accident, gather around in crowds when there is a fight, gather around to watch execution and everything. People everywhere just a have a morbid sense of amusement.

now let me say to the original poster that everything that happened to you in Nigeria could easily happen to you in America, come to Detroit. Don't kid yourself. America's the melting pot, and because of that our racism is perfected. We had a lot of practice.

Everyone is a racist though. It's impossible to not judge someone by their appearance in some regard, it's just a matter of how and to what degree.

What's really funny to me is that I thought the stereotypes of the white guy always having money and the black guy always being a criminal were just American ignorance. I really had no idea that those were global. grin I learn so much here!!
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by Sapphic: 3:39am On Jan 22, 2009
I just saw this thread and observed that the original poster was so traumatised and bitter about his experience that he created a Nairaland ID just to vent his spleen. Poor guy. Though I really felt sorry for the guy, a tiny chuckle escaped my lips when I read some parts of his analysis of Nigeria (reproduced below). In his anger, the guy turned Nigeria into the worst country on earth (Though we are not far off the mark, we are not the worst yet. LOL).

lawrence99:

Well the post colonial world isn't looking too rosy for Nigerians, is it? Actually, is it the worse sort of nightmare anyone could imagine? Not only has poverty gone up from 15% to 91% but instead of having lovely British passports which allowed you all to move and trade freely around the world, you now have nasty green ones which make travelling a virtual impossibility. Add to that: hardly any power or water, just about the world's worst crime, some of the nastiest corruption and general despair. And it's not only Nigerians suffering. I'm a white European and can't be with my Nigerian girlfriend because of all this. I cry myself to sleep every night. But possibly the worst example of all this patriotic nonsense came when I last visited Nigeria. I was walking up the street by myself and a guy approached me asking for my passport and visa as I was a foreigner. I politely asked him to let me pass. He grabbed my wrist and arm and started shouting. Perhaps three dozen people in the street were laughing at me. He then hit my face. The laughter increased. He then picked upa window lying in the street at hit me over the head with it. The laughter reached fever pitch. Men, women, children and the elderly were all laughing hysterically at a white person being attacked. I ran up the street and I guess the Nigerian laughing is still going on now. I was bleeding and yes, I cried later. Wouldn't you? Compare that to the centre of the empire - Hyde Park. Today, it was a hot, sunny Sunday and people from all over the world threw frizbees, played soccer, ate picnics and paddled boats in the lakes. Hardly any of the couples were same race. It was simply a multicultural paradise in the centre of the empire where a third of the population wasn't even born in Britain. Everyone was smiling. Back in the patriotic nightmare of Nigeria, violence, deaths, corruption, poverty, fear and bitterness characterised the day. It was election weekend!

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by FBS: 8:31am On Jan 22, 2009
How can anyone say there is racism in Nigeria?  shocked Does the poster knows what racism means? You can clearly say that his story is/was fictional.
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by Mpele(m): 9:24am On Jan 22, 2009
Hey guy I don't think the guy is really white. Most of the white South Africans who've been to Nigeria actually think that Nigerians are the friendliest of people unlike black South Africans, who can be really mean sometimes especially the Zulu.
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by Ifygurl: 12:32pm On Jan 22, 2009
The guy is utterly lying.

Hell the Northerners give foreigners chief titles.
The Southereners provide help.

The funny part is where he stated he was getting beat up and people laughed. Chei, In Nigeria.
If a white, black, etc is getting beat up people break it up. Hell they call the police, if a white man gets hurt and the police is right there. The government will show them niggers pepper. Abeg, use truthful stories based on how we act okay.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by FBS: 1:17pm On Jan 23, 2009
Ifygurl:

The guy is utterly lying.
The funny part is where he stated he was getting beat up and people laughed. Chei, In Nigeria. If a white, black, etc is getting beat up people break it up. Hell they call the police, if a white man gets hurt and the police is right there. The government will show them niggers pepper. Abeg, use truthful stories based on how we act okay.
thank youuu, exactly what I was thinking. As of today ooo that cannot happen in Nigeria. Fight and people start to laugh? nah, not in Nigeria.
But thinking about his fictional nonsense, the funniest part should be
I was walking up the street by myself and a guy approached me asking for my passport and visa as I was a foreigner

in what part of the country did this happen? na only policeman they ask, wey your particulars? grin
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by udezue(m): 2:11am On Jan 24, 2009
I'm not a fan of the barbaric state Nigeria but I know damn well whites face no racism in Nigeria. The way some ignorant Nigerians worship them is ridiculous. The poster need to stop talking nonsense.
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by FBS: 2:05pm On Jan 26, 2009
the poster don ja. shame on him.
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by sapient(m): 9:02am On Feb 01, 2009
After reading, i have to 100% agree with the sentiments of the original poster, the worst racism i've seen in the world is right here in nigeria.
I hope you all read the and take a lesson that perhaps Nigeria is not the pleasant welcoming place you delude yourself it.

This pretty much reflects my own experiences here in Nigeria (7 years). The other african countries i have been in are quite welcoming.

It has been my experience that the ONLY time i have escaped the rascism, in when i am in the Hausa quarters. 
So i am a little justified in concluding perhaps the overt racism is a Ibo/Yoruba or South/MidBelt phenomenon.
Until i can really spend some time in the North, I cannot conclude ALL of nigeria is racist.
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by Greenobj: 9:11am On Feb 01, 2009
[/color][color=#006600]
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by lovelylady: 12:35am On Feb 02, 2009
Just wondering what place in the world you guys think has the worst racism? Where is the deep-felt patriotism/tribalism/nationalism/racism or whatever you wanna call it strongest? Where could you get attacked, kidnapped, killed just because you're not black?

I'm a white guy and having travelled in over 100 countries and 25 countries in Africa, I think it's Nigeria! Sure in French Africa, the police will want a bribe if you're english speaking and for sure if you're white. And boy will they be wicked!! But the local people there are nice and will want to be friends with you. In South Africa, they've got huge tensions for sure. But at least most people are trying to be a rainbow nation. And in provincial Western Europe and Eastern Europe, it's bad for black people. There'll be some idiots there who want trouble but most people would look away and in England most would stop it. Australia's bad definitely but a lot of people no longer believe in white Australia and even if they'd laugh, they wouldn't let anyone get hurt.

But in Nigeria, it was unbelievable!!! I've been attacked several times on my travels but only in Nigeria did I experience being attacked whilst a street full of onlookers who all laughed. In Nigeria, it's funny for a white to be attacked. If he's bleeding, it's better. Why was I in their country anyway. After all, there's only 2 million Nigerians in the 'country' where I was born. Nigerians are far too backward to get along with other tribal Nigerians so a white is just an animal to them. Every Nigerian I met wanted something out of me. If I ask for my change in a bar, they shake their heads, close their eyes and sometimes scream in anger. What a silly white! When they see me with my Nigerian girlfriend, they shout out loud and tell her in to eat all my money. Yeah! Ha ha! If I'm friends with a Nigerian and at the end I haven't given them anything, they get angry and make threats. Sometimes, they'll see you somewhere and just look at you and shake their heads in disgust. You're white, what are you doing in my country? Sometimes, they kidnap you if you're a foreigner. When I visited my girlfriend's family home, someone outside said: what the mess are you doing in my country? Most Nigerians utterly hate whites. And they think there's good reason to! They're white and were born on white land. Nigeria's the most racist place in the world in my opinion. It's pure happy, smiling racism. How can Nigerians talk about racism?

I don't believe this at all!
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by RSA(m): 8:55am On Feb 02, 2009
Why are we being so defensive?the guy says he experienced racism while in Nigeria,so what?he's got the right to vent his anger on this forum just like anyother person.We cannot change his experience,but we can let him know that not all of us are racist as the heading pointed out.Maybe he was acting all funny and things he was doing was a culture shock to most locals,I don't think that people will just walk to you and start punching if you did not do anything wrong.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by ikeyman00(m): 10:59am On Feb 02, 2009
their papa, their mama
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by MandingoII(m): 6:35am On Feb 07, 2009
I believe him.

ignorant people do ignorant deeds

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by whiteroses(f): 5:49pm On Sep 03, 2009
this story is wierd, growing up i love white people i'd be shouting in my under wear oyinbo pepper lol cos i think they are interesting and adorable, if there is a new white comer in class the person that becomes oyinbo's friend later is the envy of others, but i think your problem is you surrounded yourself with ignorant nigerian, in abuja or lagos as i know it no one in their right mind will do the things you listed

2 Likes

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by morpheus24: 6:41pm On Sep 03, 2009
The poster na correct liar and don't you see how Hero adopted Benin city as soon as another person said it, as to where he was called the name. Southern Nigerians universally use the word Oyinbo from akwa ibom to the ajegunle.

Akata no get edicate. you shuld have seen how some of them were behaving at the murtala muhammed airport. jsut unruly.

Ther was one nice one though. you could tell she was very well mannered.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by chiogo(f): 12:59am On Sep 04, 2009
hahahaha @ this topic, I know it's old and all but still. . .

Yea right. The same Nigerians that lick oyinbo people's yansh. grin Take a look at the white people that actually reside in Nigeria and see if they don't hold high positions in say, oil companies. Tsk!

Akata pig coo oyinbo whitey nee.
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by aiwaxes: 6:36pm On Jun 09, 2010
i dont even know where to start from, an african american called "whitey" and they feel it was a racial slur it s just a tease, i am purely nigerian full citizenship and some of my school mates call me whitey, they use words like "why you dey do like whitey?" or "no mind am na whitey na?", it all means that u r not crude , u r more refined or u r trying to b more refined, now tell me is that bad,

Nigerians are not racists at all, take for instance:

- if two graduates, one a Nigerian and One a White person (any white person, even an indian) apply for 10 jobs in Nigeria (both graduates ve the same qualification),

- the white person will have an average of 8 call backs for interviews and the Black person will have an average of 4 call backs for interview.

- Now is that being racist? if we are racist at all then we r racist to ourselves, because we see the white pple as better.
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by cpatra: 6:59pm On Jun 09, 2010
@ OP
You have no case. Abeg go sleep jo
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by tpiah: 8:00pm On Jun 09, 2010
Name:  lawrence99

Position:  Active Poster

Date Registered:  April 21, 2007, 08:17 PM

Last Active:  April 29, 2007, 03:10 PM

hmm
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by bigfrancy(f): 4:59pm On Jun 11, 2010
As for me he is not talking about the white people
but about nigeria people
look in the site i saw igbo against edo,yoruba against hausa
what is that call racism angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by ikeyman00(m): 9:48pm On Jun 11, 2010
@@@@

f uck goes out
Re: Racism In Nigeria - Worst In World by Nobody: 4:42am On Jun 12, 2010
There's racism in Nigeria?

I think our biggest problem is tribalism. Same nationality of people hating on themselves. Sadder than racism, IMO.

1 Like

(0) (1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Northern Sudanese People And Their Inferiority Complex / Did Bianca Ojukwu Kill Her Husband? / Southeast Groups Reject Fashola’s Apology For Relocating Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.