Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,325 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:31 PM

Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie (42687 Views)

Joke Silva Pictured With Olu Jacobs & Their Son At Her Mum's Burial / Olu Jacobs And Patience Ozokwor Back To School (Photo) / Cossy Orjiakor Meets Pete Edochie (photo). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Dolemite(f): 3:20am On Aug 23, 2010
The people who are making movies are children and most of them are unintelligent. The person who is playing the Igwe roles in all the movies these days is Olu Jacobs. He is not an Igbo man. Simply do not understand why somebody who does not speak the Igbo language, who does not understand the culture, the mind and the psychology of a people should be the one playing those roles. This is the reason why those roles are not being properly interpreted. Have you ever seen a woman beside a Northern Emir. But I watched a film where people had to help hold Olu Jacobs wife in the movie and he basically raped her because she refused to have sex with him and he was supposed to be the Igwe in the film. That is an absolute insult to the traditional stools of the Igbo people. If he knew better he would have advised the producers of such a movie or should never have even taken part in it at all.

Full Interview: http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/8734/12/olu-jacobs-destroys-igbo-culture-and-tradition-pet.html

What do you think?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by MissyB1(m): 9:51am On Aug 23, 2010
Pete should be quiet Jare.
Is he bitter because Olu has been getting more roles?
Is Van Vicker Nigerian? No, but he features in Nigerian movies and plays a Nigerian.
Tribalism deh worry Pete.

3 Likes

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by googles: 10:36am On Aug 23, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

the guy is protesting his recent irrelevance in the industry

i un'stand his beef

1 Like

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by MrCork1: 11:05am On Aug 23, 2010
Dolemite, so wot if he is not an ibo man,,u tribalistick comprentikan kalibastorical Conenta!!!!!!

QUIT TRIBALISM!!! ONE NATION!!!
angry

1 Like

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by mafolayomi(f): 12:23pm On Aug 23, 2010
;d ;d ;d
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by hackney(m): 12:23pm On Aug 23, 2010
Its like nobody is hiring Pete anymore and  now he wants part of
someone else's destiny (abi na to pour sand inside olu garri?)

No shame in his game. even old men.
tufiakwa. its jus a job pls.
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by teejan: 12:27pm On Aug 23, 2010
poke pete!
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by vassilli(m): 12:30pm On Aug 23, 2010
Abeg
Na Olu Jacobs dey write scripts he acts?
Funny enuf most producers r Igbo peeps.
The problem is nt wif Olu Jacobs, e such a fine actor.
The problem is fm script writers and producers
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Ayowumie(m): 12:36pm On Aug 23, 2010
, Simply do not understand why somebody who does not speak the Igbo language, who does not understand the culture, the mind and the psychology of a people should be the one playing those roles. This is the reason why those roles are not being properly interpreted. Have you ever seen a woman beside a Northern Emir. But I watched a film where people had to help hold Olu Jacobs wife in the movie and he basically despoiled her because she refused to have intimacy with him and he was supposed to be the Igwe in the film. That is an absolute insult to the traditional stools of the Igbo people. If he knew better he would have advised the producers of such a movie or should never have even taken part in it at all.

Full Interview:  http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/8734/12/olu-jacobs-destroys-igbo-culture-and-tradition-pet.html

What do you think?
[quote][/quote]

In as much as I agree with you that some roles are not been adequately and accurately interpreted. I want to let you know that interpretation of roles by characters is not dependent neither is it subject to tribe of origin nor nationality of the actor or actress(See SALT(2010), Angelina Jolie speaks Russian in the movie but in reality she doesnt speak the language). Hence, mistakes of interpretation or otherwise lies with Nigerian quack film directors and over ambitious dull producers.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by obinna5000(m): 12:37pm On Aug 23, 2010
I don't see anything wrong with Olu Jacobs playing Igwe roles. Pete Edochie is just being plain tribalistic.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by ajiifixing(m): 12:48pm On Aug 23, 2010
That's why dem kidnap am before.
Abeg he should be selling s3x toys with his son if he has no offer from producers again. shocked
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by johndavid1(m): 12:52pm On Aug 23, 2010
ajiifixing:

That's why dem kidnap am before.
Abeg he should be selling s3x toys with his son if he has no offer from producers again. shocked
hmm! na watin him son dey sell? ha! na wah oh!
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by chelseabmw(m): 1:09pm On Aug 23, 2010
igbo's again?
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by MrCork1: 1:29pm On Aug 23, 2010
All this IBo peope likw DOlololomite should QUIT this tribalistic rubbish, especially dololololoomamite, The chick dont even look Ibo

She is Albino (no offense)
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by crownie(m): 1:35pm On Aug 23, 2010
pete edochie, if he is not supposed to act like an igwe in his movies, then, what is acting all about??, agreed he might not play the role well like a typical igbo man like u wudav, but still he (olu) is acting and you are not.stop whingeing!
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by uzobiz: 1:43pm On Aug 23, 2010
I DONT SEE ANY HARM IN OLU JACOD PLAYING THE ROLE OF IGWE, IF HE CAN PLAY IT VERY WELL AS HE IS DOING SO FAR.

PLS PETE TAKE IT EASY WITH HIM. HE IS JUST A PROFESSIONAL DOING HIS JOB.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 23, 2010
chelseabmw:

igbo's again?
You dey mind them ? They are always envious of any achievements of yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by ifyalways(f): 1:47pm On Aug 23, 2010
Pete really said those things  shocked
One wud have expected him to air his grievances against the story-lines and not the actor.well. . . undecided
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by MyJoe: 1:48pm On Aug 23, 2010
Missy B:

Pete should be quiet Jare.
Is he bitter because Olu has been getting more roles?
Is Van Vicker Nigerian? No, but he features in Nigerian movies and plays a Nigerian.
Tribalism deh worry Pete.
I beg to disagree.

I don't know about motives, but those fine details he is talking about what what make a good movie. They are the sort of thing that makes you want to cry when watching a Nigerian movie. Our movie makers don't do research so you see these horrible incongruities. It is not Olu Jacob's fault. It is the directors'. Hell, Mr Edochie is too charitable. Nollywood directors and producers are worse than kids. They are a mostly bunch of clueless dolts who have no business in the arts.

I think he is actually protesting against the crass nonsense being churned out in the name of making movies.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by NaijaNaWaa: 1:48pm On Aug 23, 2010
Pete Edochie is making a valid poin that deserves serious attention. He is not saying that Olu Jacobs who I personally admire should not feature in Igbo films. He's saying that Jacobs should not play roles that will denigrade or misrepresent Igbo culture and tradtion and I agree with him 100% on that. Pete Edochie is perhaps the most erudite, articulate and experienced actor in the Nigeria movie scene. I love reading his interviews.

Pls listen to him.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by beeman80: 1:50pm On Aug 23, 2010
Mhhh.Quite interesting.WIth due respect to Pete this argument is not valid by any standard.Olu Jacobs is a bona fide Nigerian and above all a veteran actor like Pete.He is a force to rekon with in the acting industry.I do not se anything rong in a hausa man acting as an Oba or an Ibo man acting as emir.If we preach unity there is no better way to showcase it.

2 Likes

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by MyJoe: 1:56pm On Aug 23, 2010
beeman80:

Mhhh.Quite interesting.WIth due respect to Pete this argument is not valid by any standard.Olu Jacobs is a bona fide Nigerian and above all a veteran actor like Pete.He is a force to rekon with in the acting industry.I do not se anything rong in a hausa man acting as an Oba or an Ibo man acting as emir.If we preach unity there is no better way to showcase it.
What has being a "bona fide Nigerian", "veteran actor" or "unity" got to do with authenticity? He is not saying a Yoruba man should not play the role of an Igbo. Just that the role should be interpreted well. Directors have a duty to ensure that. If Olu Jacobs can do that, fine. If he cannot cannot do it in a particular movie, they ought to find a replacement.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Spyker: 2:02pm On Aug 23, 2010
Pete Edochie has point but itis not the fault of Olu Jacobs. The man only acted what the producers gave to him.
The question Pete should be asking is, are there no more Igbo Producers?

Pete, leave Olu Jacobs out of this and attack your kinsmen who has sold their culture to the world for money. They sold both good and bad sides of their culture while other tribes focus on selling the good part of their cultures.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by oludashmi(f): 2:16pm On Aug 23, 2010
Pete Edochie should close his mouth. Is it today that Olu J. began acting or what was he looking at all these years the man has been acting and now that the man has made his name he wants to spoil it. If he can act better than Olu, let him declare himself better to the producers.

Acting is not supposed to be a strictly narrowed thing thru race or tribe, anybody can act any character in as much as he can do it well and the producer and director approves of him. Does it mean all those acting American films are Americans or hasnt he seen Nigerians acting European films whereas they are not even white.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by seyibrown(f): 2:18pm On Aug 23, 2010
If an Igbo producer/scriptwriter decides that the Igwe's wife should be held down to allow intimacy, where lies the fault of the actor? smiley
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by rasputinn(m): 2:30pm On Aug 23, 2010
I see,okay Pete I see your point,next time the roles should be given to you instead of Olu Jacobs for proper interpretation
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by MrCork1: 2:33pm On Aug 23, 2010
Ok but why are thise Ibo and okoro people always tribalistic??

ONE NATION, ONE NIGERIA!!
[b][/b]
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by MissyB1(m): 2:33pm On Aug 23, 2010
Pete's statement
What are the draw backs of the movie industry as it is presently constituted?

The people who are making movies are children and most of them are unintelligent. The person who is playing the Igwe roles in all the movies these days is Olu Jacobs. He is not an Igbo man. Simply do not understand why somebody who does not speak the Igbo language, who does not understand the culture, the mind and the psychology of a people should be the one playing those roles. This is the reason why those roles are not being properly interpreted. Have you ever seen a woman beside a Northern Emir. But I watched a film where people had to help hold Olu Jacobs wife in the movie and he basically despoiled her because she refused to have intimacy with him and he was supposed to be the Igwe in the film. That is an absolute insult to the traditional stools of the Igbo people. If he knew better he would have advised the producers of such a movie or should never have even taken part in it at all.

[b]Haven't you done a movie from another culture that you do not understand fully?[/b]I was part of the movie, Amina, but that was different because I grew up in the North and I understand the culture very well. You have to know a people to understand them. You also have to understand the appurtenances of office they occupy before you can apply them.

MyJoe:

I beg to disagree.

I don't know about motives, but those fine details he is talking about what what make a good movie. They are the sort of thing that makes you want to cry when watching a Nigerian movie. Our movie makers don't do research so you see these horrible incongruities. It is not Olu Jacob's fault. It is the directors'. Hell, Mr Edochie is too charitable. Nollywood directors and producers are worse than kids. They are a mostly bunch of clueless dolts who have no business in the arts.

I think he is actually protesting against the crass nonsense being churned out in the name of making movies.

It's okay to disagree with my opinion. smiley

Like I earlier stated, Pete seems to me, a Tribal chauvinist. Not to mention that his comment suggests, of course to me, that he probably has a personal beef with Olu.
To the best of my knowledge, Olu interprets the Igwe role very well.
Nollywood has so many flaws, and to be forthright, the interpretation of the Igwe role by a non-Igbo, esp. when the individual interprets the role very well, should be the last on the  list. Obviously, Mr- know-it-all doesn't think so.

''What are the draw backs of the movie indiustry'' ? [notice the plural form] and the only thing he could mention is Olu, and how the producers are unintelligent for allowing a non-igbo play the role.
That implies 1 of 2 things or both -
1. That's the only draw back of the movie industry
2. That's the most important draw back.
Whichever the case, we both know it's false.
Again, don't we have Nadia, Van, Majid and others playing Nigerians in a movie? Don't they interpret the role very well? Do we criticize them or the producers for that? No!
I still think he's hurt because Olu gets most of the job.
Olu is as good as [if not better than] Pete in interpreting the role.

seyibrown:

If an Igbo producer/scriptwriter decides that the Igwe's wife should be held down to allow intimacy, where lies the fault of the actor?  smiley
Thank You!!!
It's easy to see that Pete's problem is - Having a non- Igbo [Precisely Olu Jacobs] interpret the role.
Go back to his comment.
The person who is playing the Igwe roles in all the movies these days is Olu Jacobs. He is not an Igbo man. Simply do not understand why somebody who does not speak the Igbo language, who does not understand the culture, the mind and the psychology of a people should be the one playing those roles. This is the reason why those roles are not being properly interpreted.
I can imagine myself asking him - Sir, where lies the flaw(s) in the interpretation of those roles? How has Olu failed? and have Pete reply . . .
I watched a film where people had to help hold Olu Jacobs wife in the movie and he basically despoiled her because she refused to have intimacy with him and he was supposed to be the Igwe in the film
Geez!!! Like I ealier said, Pete should be quiet if he has nuffin better to say.
If Olu was supposed to play the role of a sexually undisciplined Igwe, where lies the problem? Pete just has nothing to say, abeg.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by legendprac(m): 2:40pm On Aug 23, 2010
Im son na ZEE VIRTUAL naa, if u get s3xual Wahala, contact him.lol
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by radeniran(m): 2:53pm On Aug 23, 2010
Dolemite:

The people who are making movies are children and most of them are unintelligent. The person who is playing the Igwe roles in all the movies these days is Olu Jacobs. He is not an Igbo man. Simply do not understand why somebody who does not speak the Igbo language, who does not understand the culture, the mind and the psychology of a people should be the one playing those roles. This is the reason why those roles are not being properly interpreted. Have you ever seen a woman beside a Northern Emir. But I watched a film where people had to help hold Olu Jacobs wife in the movie and he basically despoiled her because she refused to have intimacy with him and he was supposed to be the Igwe in the film. That is an absolute insult to the traditional stools of the Igbo people. If he knew better he would have advised the producers of such a movie or should never have even taken part in it at all.

Full Interview:  http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/8734/12/olu-jacobs-destroys-igbo-culture-and-tradition-pet.html

What do you think?
With the submission from Pete Edochie any actor or actress that wants to act a role of a mad person should have gone mad at one time before so that he can he or she will be able to interpret the role well. Pete please say something else
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by DisGuy: 2:57pm On Aug 23, 2010
what a joke!!

This is the SAME MAN THAT PLAYED THE ROLE OF A MONEY MAKING RITUALIST THROUGHOUT THE 90S IN FACT HE PLAYED A RITUALIST FOR 2 GOOD DECADES!!!
BIG THUMBS UP FOR your interpretation of IGBO CULTURE AND TRADITION!! he didn't see anything wrong with playing bloody ritualist 80% of his roles, he didnt attack the producers that were giving him blood to drink and human parts to munch on and those silly looking long shoes and red suits heck who listens to an occultist
i'm very certain many peoples knowledge of culture in Nigeria is partly through films and music and this guy has played a huge part in stamping 'the money by any means necessary aspect of it into our national psyche!!

good points bad delivery
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Harzan(m): 3:05pm On Aug 23, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked

F*** Pete!
Old fool!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Binta Kofar Soro Is Dead / Bobrisky Lavishly Spends Money On Foodstuff (pix, Video) / 9ice Celebrates His 40th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.